[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
if crew served weapons make the majority of infantry kills in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5
if crew served weapons make the majority of infantry kills in any conflict, why must infantry squads have so many riflemen?
>>
>>29075428
>Why doesn't every man carry a 30 pound machine gun+bipod, and the same or more in ammo
Because manlets and feminists ruined everything. May as well give them a rocket launcher, a sidearm and a shotgun while we're at it.
>>
>>29075466
a 11 man squad could easily support 3 mg's in addition to the default GL if a few rifles were sacrificed to operate as weapons teams
>>
>>29075428
What is combined arms? Positioning and mobility is much more important in infantry than firepower (which is still important). If we're going on just casualties per weapon, why not just get rid of infantry altogether and only use NBC weapons?
>>
Because they don't. A machine gun opens up, all the bad guys drop to the ground and are fixed. Then the riflemen take well aimed shots at the fixed bad guys, or they flank them and then take well aimed shots at them.
>>
because the rifle girls carry ammo for the MG
>>
>>29075466
>Because manlets and feminists ruined everything.
>doesn't realize that manlets have been some of the most successful soldiers/marines in history
>>
>>29075466
>who is Audie Murphy?
>>
>>29075779
>>29075622
Found the manlets guys.
>>
>>29075466
Rifles are cheaper than crew-served weapons.
Every rifleman is trained to use crew-served weapons in the event of weapons crews taking casualties.
>"Oh, look: the machinegunner's wounded; I'll just borrow his machinegun while the medic patches him up."
>Plenty of kills are made with rifles, but those are one-at-a-time; crew-served weapons tend to kill many people each time they fire.
>Go to bed.
>>
These weapons are rather stationary. I mean, to reference anon above, the whole point IS combined arms. Riflemen not only protect the flanks of the crew, but they serve in recon roles as well. It's a tried and true method. The military war games often, and they test stuff like this. Currently, this is an efficient and effective setup for infantry units.
>>
>>29075779
a manlet who had to have the .50 supported by a tank instead of maintaining a proper cheek weld while firing it form the shoulder like a real man
>>
>>29075428

Sorry to be that guy, but I don't believe crew served is the money maker it used to be. They mostly hang back to provide covering fire so the rest of the squad can maneuver. At least, that's the doctrine being taught currently.
>>
>>29078508

>cheek weld on an M2
>>
>>29076509
>crew-served weapons tend to kill many people each time they fire
>implying crew-served aren't used almost exclusively for suppression
>implying there aren't 200,000 rounds fired for every insurgent killed
>>
A squad cannot carry enough ammunition to run an MG in every set of hands like an MG.

Better to have one, maybe two operating per MG doctrine and have everyone else carry ammo to support.

Also maneuver doctrine. Pin the enemy down with MG fire then have your maneuvering element flank and force them out INTO MG fire.
>>
>>29075584
That's purely in theory.
In reality the m4s and M16's only provide ineffective cover fire while the MGs get the job done.
See practically every gunfight in Afghanistan for example...
>>
>>29075826
Simo Häyhä was 160cm (5'2)

Just saying
>>
>>29078577
>Simo Häyhä was 160cm (5'2)

Coincidentally, so is Jenette Goldstein. The ended up placing the Smartgun prop onto a steadicam just so the actors could handle it, and even then, it was unwieldy and, being made from an MG42, was very heavy. Giving each soldier the firepower of crew-served weaponry will require careful engineering and exoskeletal support.
>>
If machine guns are so great, why don't soldier duel wield them?
>>
>>29078548

You mean all those gunfights where the Americans were mounted? Because that's a retarded example.
>>
File: Vasquez_fires_Smart_Gun.jpg (133 KB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
Vasquez_fires_Smart_Gun.jpg
133 KB, 1280x688
>>29078592

Forgot to include a pic.
>>
>>29075622
>>29075779
>>29075779
>>29078577
everyone was a little shorter in those days
>>
>>29078626
But Simo was shorter than most even back then
>>
That's like saying backs and receivers scores all the touchdowns so why have an offensive line
>>
>>29075466
>asshurt spouting hurr manlet on a board where the most successful soldiers, who are mostly manlets, are regularly worshipped
>>
>>29075428
>majority of infantry kills

Infantry is not for killing. Artillery is for killing.
>>
>>29075428
>>29075478
The Danish Army has 2 MGs per 6 man infantry squad. They're one-man served though, not crew.
>>
>>29075428
1 open fire policy in defrnsive ops
2 weight
3 you would burn threw all your amo reall quick
4 crew served weapons like the c6 or m240b usally stay in the fire base on a platoon attack or are in thr cut offs in woods clearing.This is because they are hard to run around with and shoot acuratly.
I am in traing to be a infanter so idk how acurate this is but this is what i got told.
The break down for weapons in a platoon goes like this. Weapon det:1 SRAAW (carl-g) and his number 2 then 2 c6(m240b) and there number 2 then the weapon det comander and he carries c6 amo to. Then per section you have to c9(saw) and 2 grenadiers with m203. Your hq usally will have 1 c9 with them anf every one else carries a c7(m16).
But i am a no hook private so take that with a grain of salt plus shit depends on what you have on hand and the enemy you are fighting.
>>
>>29075428
>11b

Because rifleman do more than just carry a rifle. Like carry the CLU for the Javelin, carry ammo for the MG, carry the AT4, etc.

>11b
>>
>>29079500
Wainwright or Meaford?
>>
>>29079348
The M60, Minimi or the MG3?
>>
>>29080446
M60. Minimi is special forces only, and the MG3 is vehicle only.
>>
If M2 is so great why does it have so many stoppages?
https://youtu.be/L7BPrWqJKuY?t=1m30s
>>
>>29080579
Not enough CLP.
>>
File: lGiX9Fr.png (17 KB, 626x624) Image search: [Google]
lGiX9Fr.png
17 KB, 626x624
>>29075466
>>
>>29075428
Maneuver Warfare > Static Emplacements.
>>
File: Gamer Blimp 05.jpg (159 KB, 1150x725) Image search: [Google]
Gamer Blimp 05.jpg
159 KB, 1150x725
>>29075428
Rifleman protect the crew served weapon while it kills.
>>
>>29080397
Why do you ask?
>>
>>29075428
who is going to carry all the extra ammo if you don't have riflemen?
>>
>>29080817
Because fuck CFB/ASU Wainwright right in its fucking face. Wainwright is the biggest shithole in the CAF. I am so glad I'm out of there.
>>
>>29079080
Found the cannon cocker
>>
>>29080579
Cause they're 50 years old and have had likely hundreds of thousands of rounds fired through them.
>>
>>29079500
Jesus Christ were you having a stroke while typing this? This is near indecipherable.
>>
>>29083954
Yea im in wainwright on my dp1
>>
>>29086594
Kek, then I either know you or know somebody on your course. Just get through dp1 and don't fucking break yourself. Getting stuck in Wainwright is when all your hopes and dreams start to die.
>>
>>29080642
You fucking retard it's the other way round. Goddamn u dumb nigga
>>
File: 1382293644285.jpg (433 KB, 2100x1400) Image search: [Google]
1382293644285.jpg
433 KB, 2100x1400
>>29078548
Afghanistan is an entirely wrong example due to being COIN instead of conventional warfare.

>Both sides act in defensive way.
Insurgency means they have limited resources so if they have the oportunity to strike they try to make braking contact easier in case their recon was off and shit hits the fan so they keep distance.

ISAF due to concern of risk of failed maneuver causing casualties that are huge no no on the home front. So commanders rely on crew served weapons and fire support to win the engagement.

After watching countless hours of combat footage and talking to shitload of veterans here is what a typical firefight of ISAF forces in A-stan looks like:

>firefight is opened by IED/sniper or GPMG fire from over 400m away.
>ISAF troops scramble to cover and return fire while attempting to pin point the source of fire
>Rifle fire is ineffective for anything other but general suppresion due to range but gives time for GPMG's to set up and open up. Patrol leader calls for CAS/Indirect support.
>Crew served weapons keep insurgents down but instead of sending the infantry to maneuver on the enemy patrol leader waits for indirect/cas to end the engagement.

Riflement never had the oportunity to score any kills due to long range of fighting (that is why they thought about going back to real fucking nato etc.)

tl;dr
Riflemen do the dirty job in the final part of the firefight but in COIN most of firefights never reach that stage.
>>
>>29091479
>dat pistol foregrip

Very noice. The PKM's biggest advantage over the FNMAG is it's ease of being fired from the shoulder. How common are foregrips on FNMAG's? Is it a widely available option or did the Marine in that pic have to rig it special?
>>
>>29091799
I'm not aware of foregrips being issued to 240's so this one must have been rigged specificaly by that Marine. But generaly they do it quite often when they happen to have rails on the hanguard. Here is an army guy thad does the same with his 240
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRPCNUzkqXk
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.