[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Megacity urban warfare thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8
File: sao paulo-skyscraper city.jpg (809 KB, 1600x1071) Image search: [Google]
sao paulo-skyscraper city.jpg
809 KB, 1600x1071
You know it's coming sooner or later.
>>
File: cities2.jpg (14 KB, 288x226) Image search: [Google]
cities2.jpg
14 KB, 288x226
This is what the military thinks it will be like.
>>
File: 9-11-rubble211.jpg (27 KB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
9-11-rubble211.jpg
27 KB, 320x213
No, bombing skyscrapers is not a good idea
>>
File: China fire no collapse 2.jpg (40 KB, 413x450) Image search: [Google]
China fire no collapse 2.jpg
40 KB, 413x450
Imagine fires fucking everywhere.
>>
File: Seoul-korea.jpg (244 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
Seoul-korea.jpg
244 KB, 640x427
Better brush up on those room clearing skills
>>
>>28909978

they should train in China's ghost cities
>>
>>28909959
Encircle them and wait for them to starve and surrender. After that push in slowly with supplies and be extremely careful.

Any building that fights back gets quarantined and supplies withheld until the perpetrators are arrested or killed.
>>
>>28910050
The skyline was beautiful on fire
All twisted metal stretching upwards
Everything washed in a thin orange haze
>>
File: cst024web.jpg (12 KB, 258x242) Image search: [Google]
cst024web.jpg
12 KB, 258x242
>>28910802
god tier song, /k/omrade
>>
>>28910802
>>28911833
Man, that fucking song gives me chills every time.
I had actually just finished a a day long bingefest of Threads and The Day After, and When the wind blows and etc. spoopy movies the first time i heard it.
>>
That guy David Kilcullen has talked about mega cities. Like what the hell do you do if the enemy takes over a place like Karachi or Lagos? They have a population almost equal to all of Iraq just on their own.

Honestly I think it'd be like Sadr City in 08 or Ramadi in 07, divide the place up into areas for different units and do it that way (if you can). It'd be slow though. Hopefully we don't find out because the military is basically not big enough to handle shit like this anymore.
>>
Am I going to have to post a picture of a mushroom cloud in every single one of these threads?
>>
>>28911994
Yes, now fucking do it you nigger.
>>
>>28909996
>implying Military Generals give two flying shits about opposing skyscrapers
Fuck, I would try to level the outside three to five blocks, just to fuck anyone trying to resupply by land. Then AA surrounding. Shit son. A megacity would starve in two weeks.
>>
>>28909978
> tropico newbs
>>
>>28909978

because that's what most urban areas look like.
>>
>>28911942
>Like what the hell do you do if the enemy takes over a place like Karachi or Lagos?

Well, it really depends on the nature of your enemy and what they're doing with that city.

You might be able to just ignore it completely. There's no compelling reason to capture a city just because it exists, there has to be a reason for you to care to take it.
>>
>>28910050
jet_fuel_can't_melt_steel_beams.jpg
>>
>>28911897
>threads.

God, that was grim. How's the day after?
>>
>>28910694
>ywn clear sections of Kowloon with ur chink oper8or bros
>>
>>28909978
>This is what the military thinks it will be like.
The military doesn't give a shit about conquering entire megacities.

Megacities are massive resource sucks. Cut them off, and they defeat themselves. Resistance will surrender after a few weeks just to get access to the hot meals and porta-potties in the refugee camps.

The training facilities pictured are for those few scenarios where a single block or two must be taken for strategic reasons--a TV station that's still broadcasting, a command center, etc.

There is no inherent strategic value in a megacity--just a mass of humanity that needs food and water, and can be dealt with or not at the aggressor's convenience.
>>
>>28909959
>>
>>28914605
This fucking meme
>>
i don't believe a siege will be a two week starve them out affair. Many people will die but even 200000 people left out of four million in the close confines of a city will be hell. Advances in LED hydroponics mean in the not to distant future cities are going to have a serious local food production capability. There's a factory in japan that grows ten thousand heads of lettuce a day that can be powered by a single diesel generator and is hugely water efficient. Transporting food into cities is incredibly expensive and there is going to be huge economic incentive for these types of cities to develop this sort of infrastructure as the technology matures.

The only thing missing is the credible reason to attempt to take the city. Can anyone think of any hypothetical scenarios? My best guess is guerillas from the city hampering the war effort in the countryside.
>>
>>28917826
Also I forgot to add, look how many people are surviving in Syria on glue. How large of a force are you going to have to deploy to ensure a complete barricade of the city, remembering you've got the rest of the war to fight. If your barricade has any crack supplies will get through.
>>
File: 1452986483015.jpg (497 KB, 1824x1368) Image search: [Google]
1452986483015.jpg
497 KB, 1824x1368
>>28910050
Imagine flying in via helo as reserve:

From the open door you could see the clouds reflecting the fires

Then the helo crosses the last hill and you see pic related - burning everywhere

Expolsions

Tracers everywhere

And in the back plays "School's out for summer"
>>
>>28909959

Just cut of the city from all supplies and wait. It won't survive more than 4 months.

At most you need to dump Thermobarics and Napalm over the thing.
>>
I personally think that a battle in a mega citiy is the perfect example that we still need carpet bombin

>Encircle the city
>Cut off supplies
>B52s and B1s all day every day carpet bombing the city from east to west, north to south
>After three months or so you move in and start invading that pile of rubble
>>
>>28917868

You need look no further than the blitz to know it won't be that easy. Don't get me wrong the US military can probably do it and win, but it will cost a lot of blood. Even if the entire city is rubble, that's still an assload of cover and now all your vehicles will be slow and cumbersome. (Probs still an improvement over Grozny tier firing lines). Thrown tracks for days.

It's doable but it would be a fiendish hellscape and would take years to clear.
>>
>>28917888

Except a city is god dam useless.

If you let it starve you have done enough damage, your main targets are enemy stockpiles, bases and industrial centers. A mega city is just a giant residential area with no value.
>>
>>28910694

I really don't know why China doesn't open up those ghost cities for tourism....

>urban exploration.
>cqb paintball and airsoft.
>rent surplus chinese domestic weapons and/or chinese ar-15 clones and practice room clearing and other urban combat scenarios.
>.
>..
>...
>the next nuggetfest?
>>
so on the one hand the siege strategy seems the obvious option, but that didn't really work out for the Germans in Leningrad, so then assaulting directly would seem the best option, but that didn't really work out for the Germans in Stalingrad.

to be honest i think alleppo and berlin are the best examples of serious urba warfare in large cities. when the forces are even it becomes basically trench warfare which lasts years if neither side can make sperate advances outside the city. on the other hand the soviets seem to have done it right in berlin by simply flooding the enemy with manpower and vehicles as well as making liberal use of assault guns and artillery in an environment with a lot of civilians. i probably helped that the wermacht was mostly 16 year olds and ww1 vets at that point
>>
>>28917911
What about if they have internal food production like the Japanese lettuce factory? Shenzhen is a mega city. It's also an industrial centre, making it an important target by your metric. Do you think that if Shenzhen could provide food for ten million of its fourty million inhabitants, it would be unable to present a continued military value?
>>
>>28917915
probably they just dont want people to actually see the hilarious extent of their overconfidence building the places
>>
>>28917945

Key word is if.

And with our current Long Range weaponry accuracy we can easily disable the food production and industrial output from a safe distance.

I don't think any lettuce factory can survive the right mix of Thermobaric, Napalm and HE.
>>
>>28917956
With our current long ranged accurate weaponry were not stopping people from living and fighting in Aleppo or Raqqa. What's to say such an important national asset as Shenzhen is not already protected by an air defence network? If they had time to prepare they could fortify, move production underground. With fourty million people and all the Chinese experience in rapid construction this is very feasible.
>>
>>28917977

Nobody is besieging Raqqa and no high tech is used in Aleppo.

Also who says I am referring to air power.

Artillery has evolved to the point of matching if not outperforming air based guided munitions while being easier to protect.

Also we have the technology to make ground penetrating and earthquake bombs since WW2. It's not that hard for us to destroy underground production.
>>
>>28917994

Shenzhen Has a total area over 2000 square kilometres. 1600 Sqm. Even if you could park a Bourke in the harbour you're going to have range problems with artillery.

Why does the US build fortified command structures? Such a waste? Also how could German underground factories maintain production if we had effective penetrator bombs in ww2?
>>
>>28918029

>Caring about the area of a thing

You don't need that you need distance and range. And Modern MLRS and Heavy Arty have the range.

German underground factories actually suffered a lot, and Germans did begin "shed" production of a lot of things. But you have to remember bomb accuracy was way off back then and more importantly the allies bombed the wrong things all the time.
>>
>>28918052
Your points here are valid and accurate. However I still stand by my earlier conclusion, the US military is capable of effectively subduing a megacity, however it would not be easy and many people would die on both sides.
>>
>>28918078

I think a bigger problem would be the amount of troops required for a siege and the fact that it gives the enemy a much higher chance of regrouping and counter attacking.
>>
>>28918083
Agreed, see my earlier post about trying to maintain an effective blockade while ales fighting the rest of the war.
>>
>>28910774

Leningrad. So unless you have a couple of years to spare, gotta think of something better
>>
>>28914954
>a TV station that's still broadcasting, a command center,
just bomb the fucker.
>>28917915
those cities are where they will evacuate their populace to when the set off the tsunami/megaquake bombs they planted along the US west coast... brb: fapping
>>
>>28917826
>i don't believe a siege will be a two week starve them out affair
This, in WW2 The Germans and the Finns encircled Leningrad, the citty held out for *two* years without relief, they ate through their stores, they ate the pets and then the dead and then the living and they died by the thousands, but the city held.
>>
>>28910071
for the taller buildings,
>send in troops to secure the first three to four levels.
>locate the air condensers in the basement.
>proceed to shut off or completely decommission said condensers.
>wait for the higher levels to run out of air.

you may have to secure a few more levels past that, but not enough to be considered a major headache.
>>
>>28915162
That artist makes this look so comfy
>>
>>28917911
>a city is god dam useless.

Wow dude you are fucking retarded.

Cities are useless? Seriously?

Are you fucking serious.
>>
>>28917911
>the place where most of the human race lives, works, and makes stuff is "useless"

lmfao
>>
>people citing leningrad as a failure

Yeah cause the soviets managed to open up a supply route so the city wasn't cut off.

If you actually cut off every way in that shit will collapse in the span of a few months. Leningrad itself was in incredibly dire straits within a relatively short amount of time before the road of life opened up
>>
>>28919392
>If you actually cut off every way in that shit will collapse in the span of a few months.

that really depends.

saying "it will collapse in the span of a few months" without taking into account any other factors is some turbo-retard shit.
>>
>>28918179
The city didn't really "hold", it couldve been stormed but there was no interest from the germans in doing so. If the city had been taken, the germans would have to feed the citizens, and the german plans were to level it anyway.

Note about the finns, they really didnt participate in the siege. They stopped where their borders stopped before the war.
>>
>>28917911

The real question is if useful infrastructure that you wanna keep is there, or if it's worth more rekt, for the reconstruction contracts.

Less costly to refurbish than build- whichever happens depends on who is paying.
>>
>>28918997
Stayed there a couple nights. Its the biggest death trap you can imagine. One fucker falling asleep with a cigarette in his hand and everyone dies.
>>
>>28919406
How so?

I'm not even talking about clean water and medicine, I'm saying just food. How much food is even stored in cities? How much of that is perishable? I very much doubt that there's enough canned and dried crap in a city to feed from half a million to several million inhabitants for more than a couple of months if all incoming traffic stopped unless rationing was cut to the point where there would be significant health detriments.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.