[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the deal with this rifle? Why is it so often ignored?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8
File: 1940_Tula_SVT40.jpg (254 KB, 1540x1198) Image search: [Google]
1940_Tula_SVT40.jpg
254 KB, 1540x1198
What's the deal with this rifle?

Why is it so often ignored?
>>
>>28866397
Can't really get it in the states.
>>
>>28866403
But it is it any good?

I heard that it breaks down into pieces whole being used.
>>
>>28866397
they are few and far between
>>
>>28866408
It's not as reliable as an ak or a mosin, but it is not made out of glass. Bretty solid.
>>
>>28866408
If you dont set the gas system correctly for your ammo, it can damage itself through over-gassing, also the stock is weakest at the grip, which is why the reinforced AVT stocks can be desirable.
>>
>>28866418
I have one, this. Other than that, its a nice rifle. Light, good trigger, and very moderate recoil, in the SKS range basically.

Takedown is a bit annoying, but such is life with semi-autos of the era. At least its not fucking G43 bad.
>>
>>28866397

I have one and I have shot it quite a lot. SVT-40 is pretty decent rifle considering it is from World War 2 era. It is not as accurate as bolt-action rifles can be, but was more than accurate enough to military purposes from normal shooting distances. Mine does about fist-size group from 150m with my favorite ammo. The receiver is rather flimsy which combined with receiver & barrel combination being poorly attacked to rifle stock causes accuracy issues with the worst of which (& found in many rifles) first round of a magazine is always a "flyer".

Another thing is reliability - these rifles were still among the first mass-produced semi-auto rifles issued for military use and are notably more finicky than SKS or AK. Namely gas system must be adjusted for specific ammo - in other words one should find the smallest gas setting with which the rifle cycles reliably. Too much gas is bad for durability of the rifle while too little gas causes the rifle to re-chamber the used cartridge case, which gets stuck in chamber. Due to rather weak receiver only ammo with light (9.6-gram/148-grain) bullets should be used - which is also what the gas system was designed for. Due to fluted chamber ammo should also be with with steel cases. Hence ex-Warsaw Pact or Chinese surplus with light (148-gr) bullets is the ammo of choice.

However the rifle is structurally quite complicated. With surplus ammo this causes need to clean it very well each time after shooting - which can be rather time-consuming.

Magazines were serial-numbered to each rifle. All mags do not necessarily even fit to all rifles - much less work reliably in them. Now original mags are expensive and difficult to find while reproductions may work quite well - or not.

Shortly said SVT-40 is rather demanding but very fun to shoot. Getting it work reliably is a learning process. Special tools were made for this rifle to adjust gas system and disassembly/reassembly & adjusting sights.
>>
>>28866397
We need to get a couple truckloads from Canada...
>>
>>28866397
It's expensive in America and is not the (incredibly overrated) Garand.
>>
Its prone to stock cracking badly towards the foreend
>>
>>28868433
If the Garand is incredibly overrated, what is the SVT? A pile of complete shit?
>>
>>28868930
The garand is overrated but it is still very good. MY SVT had some issues at first, but now its working perfectly. It is in nearly mint condition however. The gas piston and the barrel shows no sign of wear at all.

I think it has a bad rep because models on the american market are refurbs with badly fitting stocks and a lot of wear in critical areas. It is also very dependent on proper timing for proper extraction, the flutes in the chamber have to be clean for the gas to loosen the brass at the same time as it is ejected, if the gas pressure gets too low before the extraction is initialized then the bolt will stick.

All this combined with worn and mismatched models generally make for a bad reputation that does not really reflect upon a model in proper condition. However other rifles would not suffer so much from the same kind of abuse.
>>
>>28868930
No, it's a fine rifle. Not as good as the Garand overall, but still a fine rifle.
>>
>>28866397

Because in America these things cost as much as an M1a and you can get a garand for like $700 from CMP
>>
File: Meanwhile in Canada.jpg (41 KB, 350x525) Image search: [Google]
Meanwhile in Canada.jpg
41 KB, 350x525
They're very interesting pieces of surplus, exceptionally light for what they are, and in my opinion their aesthetics are pure sex.

That being said, they do have a wide variety of problems. For one that light weight means a lot of the parts aren't as robust as they could be, magazines were designed around the specific rifle they were issued with and consider pretty much every refurb has a different magazine it's basically a gamble, they rust super easy so be very careful with corrosive ammo, and their accuracy is far from amazing.

Still, a nice rifle if you can get one for what they're really worth at $300, but at $1200 don't even bother unless you're buying a Finnish or German captured rifle.
>>
>>28866397
>ignored

Its not. Everyone circlejerks on it
>>
>>28866397

because they cost about $1200 in the US
>>
File: image.jpg (538 KB, 2676x1199) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
538 KB, 2676x1199
I had to look for years to find one in NJ.
>>
>>28870030

isnt that an "assault weapon" in NJ?
>>
>>28870077
Nope.
>>
>>28870282

>A. semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following:

>a folding or telescoping stock;

>a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

>a bayonet mount;

>a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

>a grenade launcher;

it has a bayonet lug and a flash suppressor tho
>>
A muzzle brake is not a flash suppressor.
>>
>>28870710

yes but im surprised the libs let that slide
>>
>>28870725
They have no choice. A muzzle brake is not a flash suppressor. Thats why ARs arent illegal here either.
>>
>>28870911

dude they're gradually trying to ban guns in east coast states and you're talking about whether they have power or not to call to decide what is legal?

kek.

I wouldn't rest too easy friend, nice rifle though.
>>
>>28870966

full retard moment.

whether or not they have power to decide what is legal***
>>
File: 20150718_200349.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20150718_200349.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
I love mine
>>
How much does SVT cost in America? It costs 16000 rubles ($200) in Russia and Mosins actually cost almost $400
>>
>>28871005

lately ive seen them cheapest around $1200 and up to $2000
>>
>>28871000
where can i find an svd clone?
>>
>>28871109
PSL is a 7.62x54r AK, it's not an SVD clone.
>>
>>28871005
Between $1000 and $2000, depending on things like condition, year, maker, import mark, Etc. A Russian refurb with a Century import mark from 1943 will be significantly less than a Kovorov Finn capture from 1940.
>>
>>28870016
I paid $995. Still sucked, but I got a $99 NIB hi-point out of it as well.

It was a weird day.
>>
File: SVTSMALL.jpg (359 KB, 1700x957) Image search: [Google]
SVTSMALL.jpg
359 KB, 1700x957
I love mine, got it for only 700 at a gunshow a few months ago, gas system was froze up and needed to be cleaned thru-out, after that it ran fine. Top cover had been drilled and tapped (seriously bubba why you cant bolt a scope onto a piece of sheet metal) but I cant a replacement for 15 dollars.
>>
>>28871000
y no sks?
>>
File: 20150718_203221-1.jpg (3 MB, 2459x2033) Image search: [Google]
20150718_203221-1.jpg
3 MB, 2459x2033
>>28871935
I used to buy them for friends as starter guns. Never fell in love with them. Not my thing especially with what they cost now. I have a modified one at my parents place. I ran out of room here
>>
>>28870335
Even if it is an assault weapon what are you gonna do?
>>
>>28866403
Really? I have one...
>>
>>28872277

nothing, I think the law is fucking ridiculous but was wondering how you can get around it with a SVT40.

I mean NJ considers the M1 carbine an "assault weapon" for fucks sake
>>
>>28866403
Actually just saw one in an LGS in CO. $1200 though and I wasn't about to pay that.
>>
>>28872606
The law is basically in place to stop the fair citizens of NJ from getting military weapons. Yeah, it prevents you from getting a number of military surplus weapons.
>>
>>28872960

which is why I find it odd you can legally own an SVT40 if an M1 Carbine is too scary for NJ faggot legislators
>>
>>28872970
10 round mag vs 30
>>
>>28873086

thats not in the law though, which substantiates my comment here >>28870966

that law makers will do whatever pleases them in these fascist gun law states >>28870911
>>
>>28873143
Understood. My observation on why they call the Carbine one. I'd love proper aftermarket tok and psl rifle 20 rounders but the market is bare. Before you ask yes...yes I have lahti mags for conversions but haven't and honestly won't spend the time
>>
They're great rifles, the issue is they get unfavorably compared to SKSs, AKs, and Garands. They're a little finicky, but nowhere near as bad as some people make them out to be.

They're also not quite as fragile as some think they are. You're not some Finn beating it's previous owner to death with it; you're at the range.

Disassembly isn't much fun, but it's not bad as long as you're not a Russian peasant. Watch the recoil spring, pay attention to how the bolt carrier drops in and you're good.

The biggest things are setting the gas system properly, and cleaning it. If you use corrosive ammunition, and don't clean the gas cup within an hour after shooting, it WILL rust. The normal ones rust near instantly, so I'd recommend getting a stainless cup instead. The gas system is easy to set, it just requires a bit of attention. You want the minimum amount of gas....unless you're in a SHTF situation and picked an SVT for some reason, in which case, find the minimum and set it one higher.

Magazines are a huge pain too. Even originals often need fitting to your rifle. Minor fitting, but it's not plug and play.

Accuracy can be okay, but often inconsistent. From the factory SVT's are barely attached to their stocks and wobble all over the place when firing. It's pretty obvious why they like to string shots if you ever see a slow-motion video of one firing. Not horrible, but it's no K31
>>
>>28873086
No.
>>
File: IMAG1123.jpg (1 MB, 1824x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1123.jpg
1 MB, 1824x3264
They are neat guns, the muzzle brake works very well which makes them pretty good to shoot... Cleaning is a pain though. I bought some non corrosive stuff but some is probably too heavy. I wonder if it will be ok with just cranking the gas down to 1...
>>
Proof that NJ gun owners are just as clueless as NJ gunmakers
>>
File: WP_20151003_002[1].jpg (1 MB, 1728x3072) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151003_002[1].jpg
1 MB, 1728x3072
Beaten by the Garand/10
>>
>>28866397
Shot it at NuggetFest.
I fucking love it. It's a soft shooter, not too heavy, and easy to quickly get a sight picture on for a full size battle rifle. Wish we could get them for Canuck prices.
>>
>>28872606
>NJ AWB
>doing anything

The law is retarded, but people here have plenty of scary feature rifles and ones specifically on the ban list (M1s, in particular). Moreover, there are 30 round mags everywhere.

It's that whole "it's not illegal unless you get caught" thing.
>>
>>28872939

Might as well get a VEPR for that much
>>
>>28879235
Doesn't have the history with it. That's part of the price
>>
>>28868433
>>>28866397 (OP) #
>It's expensive in America and is not the (incredibly overrated) Garand.
Incredibly overrated? Care to expand on that criticism anon
>>
>>28871005

Finns here. What I remember the one I have (refurbed 1941 Podolsk) cost about 450 euros few years back. They were imported to EU by a German importer who was also selling them for about 350 €. Captured SVT-40 rifles are hit pricier than the refurbed ones - maybe around 550 - 600 €. For comparison refurbed Mosin-Nagant m/91-30 rifles are around 200 - 250 euros.

BTW: Unlike claimed earlier Kovrov did not actually manufacture SVT-40 - the factory using the marking earlier though to Kovrov was in fact Podolsk. There was an excellent book written by Sergei Koldunov (in Russian) few years back, which unfortunately has been translated in English.
>>
>>28876827

Not that guy, and I don't dispute what you are saying. I am an NJ resident too.

In your opinion, if you knew of somebody that had some things particularly banned in NJ, how would it be possible to transfer them? Just do it to a different state where the items in question aren't restricted? Everything was acquired before the bans, but now its an issue since years passed and relatives are involved.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.