[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1st time gun buyer. I have $1000 I will buy a rifle, a shotgun,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4
File: image.png (68 KB, 400x180) Image search: [Google]
image.png
68 KB, 400x180
1st time gun buyer.
I have $1000
I will buy a rifle, a shotgun, and a handgun

Give me recommendations
>>
Is that total budget or per firearm?
>>
For $1000?
>rifle
>Hi-Point
>handgun
>Hi-Point
>shotgun
>...does Hi-Point make shotguns?

pick a less expensive hobby
>>
Unless you buy used, you're not getting a rifle pistol and shotgun with that budget. And even then you won't get much. I recommend you save more, so you can get better quality. You get what you pay for in all things, usually.
>>
>>28647681

This to be indeed quite honest, family.
>>
P-64
used mossmann five hunned
nugget
then use the rest to buy ammo
>>
>>28647673
Total budget
>>
>>28647681
this OP. enjoy your hi point carbine, hi point c9, and H&R pardner pump
>>
>>28647681
>Hi-point
I'm not a nigger
Willing to drop $2000 if needed
>>
>>28647837
glock 19 or beretta 92fs
AR15 of not complete shit quality
mossberg 500 hunter combo of field and slug barrel, then buy a 18" security barrel.

should run you about $1700 for all three.
>>
>>28647863
Why difference does the slug barrel make? More range?
>>
10/22 for cheap plinking and fundamentals
WASR 10 for coolness
>>
Maverick 88
S&W Shield
Savage Hog Hunter

That would be in the ballpark of 1000, maybe 1100ish after transfer fees assuming you're going for best price online. Spent most of the money on the rifle as it's at least got iron sights to get you going, add a scope later or go beyond your budget and get that too. Another option is to get a Savage Axis, Ruger American, or similar entry level bolt gun and add a scope, and you'll still be in the 1000 ballpark. No money left for ammo, as you didn't include that in your request.

If it were me, I'd save a little more, and get a Mossberg 500, though you can probably get one used and still end up paying close to the 190-200ish that the Mavericks cost.

I also have no idea what you intend to use these for, so I mostly picked decent, cheap guns that could be decent "all rounders".
>>
>>28647884
it's a rifled shotgun barrel for firing slugs. it's for deer, hog, etc. hunting. the field barrel is for skeet, trap, and bird hunting. The security barrel is a cylinder bore barrel for shooting home invaders.

>>28647899
also buy a 10-22, preferably a 10-22 takedown because it's handy as fuck.
>>
>>28647635
usedglock 19
ruger american rifle
used mossberg 500

might put you a bit over $1k but it would be all solid choices
>>
If you can pick up a used Ithaca 37 for ~$300, and get a gunsmith to cut down the barrel, you'll have a very decent shotgun for 350ish
>>
FNAR
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 360x315) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 360x315
>>28647899
I was thinking about getting a WASR. Can you read minds?

Either that or an SVT
>>
>>28647946
WASR is the thinking man's centerfire
>>
>>28647903
I was thinking moss 500 or Remington 870 express. Which do you think is better for home defense and can double for duck hunting?
Savage is a good brand. I'm planning on getting the rifle and pimping it out later post budget
>>
>>28647946
>>28647991
Also what state are you in?
>>
>>28647999
MD. AR and other high cap mags are pricey here cuz of regulations I think. The rifle would mainly be for target shooting or deer. Although everyone I know hunts with a crossbow
>>
>>28648034
>MD
I'm sorry to hear that, anon. Lower your rifle expectations considerably.
>>
>>28647993

It's a toss up which is "better". I like my Mossberg because it's easy to work on, and I like the position of the safety. I've fired 870's and they're fine too. The combo deals that >>28647863 mentioned are generally a good value, and big box type places have them on sale all the time. Get one of the security/field combos if you want to do both birds and HD with it. I think it's a 28 or 26" smoothbore with interchangeable chokes and an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel.
>>
>>28648054
from what I've seen, the field/slug combo costs the same as the field/security but a slug barrel costs $120 while a security barrel costs 80. I was in OPs situation a few years back. why fuck yourself out of a 3rd barrel and $40
>>
>>28648054
Mossberg is lighter right? Also can you fire buckshot if you have a rifled slug barrel?
>>
>>28648104
out of the field barrel with the appropriate choke
or the security barrel if you're hunting north american street ape in your kitchen.
>>
Around $1000?

I'd probably buy a Mossberg 500 and a Glock,

Or the Mossberg and an AKM

Just to have a little variety in your life.
>>
Why do you need all 3?
just buy a solid handgun and ammo.
>>
>>28648096

If that's the case and he wants all three, then yeah, do that. I don't really shoot slugs, but I'm not huge on hunting and I load buck for HD so I might be in a different boat than OP.
>>
>>28647993
As someone who has a remington 870 express, get the mossberg.
>>
>>28648096
>OP
I honestly have no problem dropping 2 grand on the holy trinity but i would like to keep it under $2000....without buying hi-points.
Ideally I was thinking that an FN or glock handgun was a decent choice.
>>
>>28647635
Get an AR and whatever full size 9mm you want.

Nix the shotgun unless you are going to hunt or shoot skeet/trap.
>>
>>28647635
>arsenal sgl of whatever 7.62x39 flavor you like
>Sig p320 in 9mm or Canik tp9sa if you like funding ISIS
>Mossberg 500 or 590A1
>>
>>28648159
if you like the sweet italian aesthetics of the 92fs/M9, I'd recommend beretta. I have front wrap hogue grips on my 92fs and it's comfy as fuck.

think 500 for a handgun, 700 on a decent AR, and 3-400 on a shotgun combo to cover all the bases. doing it one go is a good plan, staggering purchases vs just dropping the cash works but you end up doing stupid shit like buying 4 nuggets instead of one decent pistol.
>>
>>28648156
why? just curious I'm not biased to one or the other yet
>>
>>28648226
Cerberus group buyout a few years ago tanked remington quality control
>>
>>28647863
This guy is right, go for the beretta instead of the Glock, I had both and prefered the Beretta
>>
>>28648173

>Nix the shotgun unless you are going to hunt or shoot skeet/trap.

OP, you should definitely look into shooting clay sports if you're looking to get bang for the buck. Target loads are cheap as hell (~20cpr if you look), and I feel like you get a lot more enjoyment when you shoot actual moving targets rather than just blasting away ammo at paper.

PLUS, nothing beats the satisfaction of beating the Krieghoff toting richfags with your Mossberg.
>>
>>28648198
can you put a tac light on a 92s?
>>
>>28648252
>he fell for the remington qc meme
>>
File: flashlight pistol grip.jpg (71 KB, 720x500) Image search: [Google]
flashlight pistol grip.jpg
71 KB, 720x500
>>28648318
buy an M9 if you want a rail. There is a trigger guard rail mount available for the 92fs. but IRL buy a tactical flashlight and practice this grip

>>28648348
R51
>>
>>28648252
good to know. what is a good brand for bolt action 308 rifle? I really wanted to get an r700 but now have doubts
>>
>>28648365
Ruger, CZ, Savage, and Tikka
if you have the money, definitely go Tikka or CZ. If you want a great target/hunting rifle on a budget go ruger or savage.
>>
>>28648365

For the budget minded? Savage.
>>
>>28648318
the civilian version with the rail is called the 92a1
>>
>>28648364
what size magazines do you use for your m9?
>>
>>28648390
is the AXIS good (durable)?
>>
>>28648421
I have 10, 15, 20, and the 30 rounder factory mags. all work flawlessly.

I keep the 20 rounder with my 92fs and a 30 rounder in my Beretta Px4 carbine with the 92fs magwell.
>>
>>28647635
Buy a Glock 17, Mossberg 500, AR lower, some ammo then start saving your clams to finish your AR.
>>
>>28648226
It's a decent shotgun, but the finish leaves something to be desired. I'm not sure if it exclusive to the express model, but I've heard that remingtons quality control is lacking as of late. Every month it seems I find a little surface rust, not much, but still. I take care of my guns, and the remington 870 express is the only one with this problem, doesn't help I live next to the ocean.
>>
>>28648470
Second this, especially the part about the ar15 lower. Building your own ar15 is, in my opinion better than buying. You get exactly the rifle you want, nothing more, nothing less, and you save money. It isn't even hard. Ever build a lego set? Congratulations, you have the necessary skill set to make an ar15.
>>
>>28647635

Buy one gun that you will like shooting and is practical for home defense, and maybe carrying if you want to carry soon. I'd recommend a handgun in 45, such as a USP. If you like 9mm, that opens up a lot of handguns that are fantastic and under 1k.
>>
File: 1328548013086.gif (2 MB, 402x223) Image search: [Google]
1328548013086.gif
2 MB, 402x223
>>28647635
I literally just did this.

Mossberg 500
Ruger 10/22
Ruger SR22

-

Mind you I'm not going to EDC the SR22 and will eventually purchase something to fill that role.
>>
>>28648455
A Savage Axis is decent. Get the Axis II XP if you can swing it. The trigger is better. There are other good Savage models but I'd say focus on the 10 Trophy Hunter XP (for a budget gun) or getting into either an 11 Long Range Hunter (for target shooting) or an 11 Lightweight Hunter (for hunting). The 10 FCP-SR is decent but early reviews had big issues with the included magazine. A new bottom metal & magazine is not cheap, either.

Other guns to consider: Ruger makes a fair few good handguns. For a basic CC handgun, maybe consider an LC9 (their old DA pocket pistol) or a newer LC9s (the Pro model is great). For a full-size, there's the 9E (a budget version of their SR9) or a bevy of other wonder 9's.
>>
>>28647635
>I have $1000
>I will buy a rifle, a shotgun, and a handgun

>Shotgun
Used 870 or 590A1

>Rifle
WASR and a Spam Can

>Handgun
Whatever with what you have left
>>
>>28648455

It'll be plenty durable, yeah. They're cheap mostly because they're no frills bolt guns, but they're not going to fall apart on you or anything.

I'm of the "buy once, cry once" school when it comes to guns, so while I wouldn't turn my nose up at a Savage Axis, it doesn't get me super excited either.

If I were in your shoes OP, I'd start slow and ease my way into gun ownership and buy something that really excites you rather than trying to shove as many guns into your limited budget as you can. I'm a huge handgun guy, so I'd start with the handgun first and move on from there. Handgun will cover more bases too, as you can do CC, HD, and target shooting with it. Really though, find something you LOVE and buy it, don't hamstring yourself by buying a bunch of compromise guns.
>>
>>28647635
>rifle: AR15
>shotgun: Mossberg 500
>pistol: Glock 42

All of these because of parts availability, customization, cost and gunsmith expertise. Any gun store in the country you go into will have a full line of accessories for these.

Try going into bubbaville gunstore and asking about your CZ75 (a very nice gun BTW), he'll have no idea what you're talking about.

Try fixing your AK47 yourself and you'll run into situations where you'll need to modify parts with a dremel yourself. Whereas the AR15 is standardized so that any part will fit your AR without worry.

The glock 42 is a nice gun, and it's small enough to pocket conceal in a SHTF scenario, or even just going out to take in your trashcans.
>>
>>28648607
what handguns do you like for under 500?
>>
>>28648104
>>28648054
>>28647993
Remington 870s made in the last 10 years are absolute shit. Get a mossberg or if you must get an 870 style, get a chinese pardner pump/norinco clone.
>>
>>28648657

If you can find one under 500, a CZ 75. I also like the Steyr M9A1's in that range.

I have one of each of those and love them both. Next gun I might be looking at, but that I don't have first hand experience with yet, would be a CZ P01 kind of as a blend of some of my favorite things from each.
>>
>>28648657
The CZ75 is a good idea if you can find one used under $500 but you might not be crazy about the trigger. The double action can be really heavy for the first shot and takes some getting used to. I love my CZ75 Shadow - have put 15K rounds through it in the last year+ without a single hiccup.
Glock 17 or 19 is a very good choice especially if not real familiar with gunz. Reliable as fuck and easy to strip and clean. That said, I have nothing bad to say about Beretta.

Don't recommend nugget. You won't want to shoot it all that much and won't develop rifle skills. plus heavy and unwieldy and ammo not as easy to find as once was.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.