[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shoot the Ruger American at range today. They had a demo where
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 2
File: DSC_0707.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0707.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
Shoot the Ruger American at range today.
They had a demo where you can shoot it 5 times for free. Ruger provided them the gun for free to do this.
Compared to other striker fired guns.
Stankard factory sights are decent.
Trigger is good.
Gun is light, doesn't soak up recoil as well as say a gen4 glock.
All controls are ambi.

I'd say it's about as good as a Glock or Smith and Wesson m&p, just with some trade offs. The trigger was better and with a tiny better recoil spring it might be even better. Oh, retail on it was like $480.

Thought you should know.
>>
>>28598078
Sorry about the phone grammar.
>>
>>28598078
Did anyone else shoot a Ruger American?
>>
>>28598078
MAC shitted on the gun already. do not want
>>
held one in a store. still dont see a reason to choose it over a ppq
>>
>>28600059
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxqL9L-0sN8
>I don't like this gun because I think these sights suck because you can't rack it on your pants after you condition 3 carry
Confirmed for fucking idiot, stopped watching there.
Think I'll go with the Mike Fifer on this one, nobody should know better than him what it's about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI-nEvHtLPc
>>
>>28600035
the gunstore that I work at has one, and I shot it about two weeks ago.
trigger reset is
G A R B A G E
A
R
B
A
G
E

but otherwise the pistol is fine. compare it to the M&P, a "glock beater" that comes to the party a few hours late with slightly different beer and another gimmick, but if you've already been at the Glock / M&P party you've already drunk more than your fill.

>>28600123
cheaper
>>
>>28600179
Well, 5 shots, I didn't really get a feel for the reset, should have. The trigger was lighter and with a cleaner break than other striker fired guns I've shot.

>>28600148
That video is hilarious, don't think the guy has ever shot a gun before in his life.
>>
>>28600237
the reset is the only problem I have with the gun. I wouldn't own one but I wouldn't recommend against them either
>>
>>28600179
they were 530$ in the store, thats not too far off from a ppq
>>
>>28600348
that's about $40 off MSRP... that's some shitty gunstore you got there.
For example, the ruger SR9 has an MSRP of 569, the american has an MSRP of 579.
my delivered price for the SR9 is about $330, I make plenty of money selling them for about $440 NIB. presuming ruger goes with their 579 msrp, this gunstore makes like 50% on their firearms or close to it
>>
>>28600425
and presuming they give us good rates on the american. they might not, who knows.
>>
>>28600148

gun has shit ergos

>hurr durr this guy is an idiot
>>
>>28600425
thats gander for ya. only place i've seen them so far
>>
>>28600425
>>28600348
Gun stores with them around here are charging $479.
>>
>>28600148

I thought you were exaggerating, but he really did say he hates the sights because he can't run the gun one handed with them. What a ridiculous complaint.
>>
>>28600485
Oh shit that explains it
>>
>>28598078
>shot 5rds total
>it's about as good as a Glock or Smith and Wesson m&p
Yeah, sure thing bud.
>>
>>28600425
Different guy here. Gun shop fag, we sell our Rugay SR9's for ~360

Lmao for a fucking SR9 @ 530 dollars
>>
>>28600608
*we sell for 460
>>
>>28600608
People are buying them at $530 though?
No clue why someone would do that but if a business is getting $530 for them the joke is kind of on you.
>>
>>28598078
Rather have the turkshit canik.
>>
>>28600148
>>28600492
Didn't you guys see MAD MAX: FURY ROAD?

Slide racking on your belt is legit, yo!
>>
>>28600460

Have you actually handled it? I picked one up and didn't notice the square beavertail he was complaining about. He was just trying to turn his opinion on the ergos into an objective assessment.
>>
>>28600819
>He was just trying to turn his opinion on the ergos into an objective assessment.
All three people that shot it had the same issue, that's pretty telling. Also, did you even shoot it?
>>
>>28600952

No, but I don't like MAC so if I have a chance to shit on him I'm taking it. Maybe the squared beavertail is more noticeable when firing, but I couldn't notice it all when handling it and I was looking for it.
>>
>>28600952
I thought shot it.

>What I liked:
The trigger pull was great. The factory sights were easy to see with lots of air around the front post, as compared to Glock. The ambidextrous controls were easy to reach and out of the way both. I thought the grip was comfortable as heck.

>What I didn't like:
What I didn't like about it was that it had a noticeably light slide that made the 9mm feel more like .40. Not that it was a big deal but a couple of extra ounces would have made it a little nicer shooting. Ruger says this was design choice to keep the weight low for carrying around all day. They think they're recoil reducing cam thing is magic, it isn't but I can totally understand their argument especially for a military contract where weight sometimes is a factor, like for someone who is parachuting and has a weight limit or a soldier that is going to rely on their main weapon while just having to lug the sidearm around all day.

>>28600819
>I picked one up and didn't notice the square beavertail he was complaining abou
Didn't notice it either, MAC was clearly coming up with bullshit just like you said. They probably got blowjobs from the Glock reps the night before.
>>
>>28601076
>I thought shot it.
The fuck did I type that? Should say, "I shot it."
>>
>>28600035
>Be me
>Be at LGS, nice place.
>Most employees are bro-tier
>Rent Ruger American
>Decide to only do 50rds because rental
>Get to lane, load up, rack glorious Ruger
>Bang, low.
>click. Dafuk.jpg
>not fully into battery
>TapnRack.gif
>click. Jamed up good. Malfunction clearing actions fail.
>Decide to get RO, lest I be accused of fucking their gun up.
>RO knows I shoot often, no worries.
>fucking moartars pistol to clear.
>jams many more times.

It ended up being an ammo issue. Different brand worked great. Still wasn't impressed with it overall and I tend to be a bit of a Ruger fanboy. 6/10, might shoot again. Definitely won't buy.
>>
>>28602140
>It ended up being an ammo issue. Different brand worked great.
What kind of ammo did it have trouble with and what did it work with?
>>
>>28602400
Blazer 9mm, 115gr if I recall, it was range ammo on the cheaper side. Never had any issue plinking with the cheap stuff out of a Ruger. It appeared to be clipping a sliver off the casing upon chambering, catching the round in the chamber and guming up the works.
>>
>>28602663
Hmm, was it the Blazer brass stuff, or aluminum case?
>>
>>28602705
Brass case only. That range doesn't allow anything but brass in their rentals.
>>
File: image (2).jpg (43 KB, 498x400) Image search: [Google]
image (2).jpg
43 KB, 498x400
This was the stuff. Never had any issues with this ammo out of my SR9
>>
>>28602718
>tfw just bought a 1000-rd case of Blazer Brass
>>
>>28602718
I've never had any issues with blazer, that's really odd. That said I've only really shot glocks and my USPC.
>>
>>28602730
I hope you didn't buy it to feed a Ruger American /k/omrade.

>>28602734
I haven't either. I was very surprised. It may have been a production issue with that lot. They put the rest of the box asside to check out.

I will add multiple employees there had tried the pistol with a wide range of ammo without issue. I just seem to have been unlucky.
>>
So why did Ruger create this monstrosity when they already have the SR series? Why a new design that's possibly worse than the one they already have? Anyone here thats fired both that can say which is the better of the 2 ruger pistola designs? Cause I was interested in the 9E before, and still am more interested in it over the Murican.
>>
>>28602756
bad lot it seems, oh well...... at least you got the feel
>>
>>28602758
I've fired the Ruger American, but own both the SR9 and SR9c.

Not to blog, but I vastly prefer the SR series. The American is just too light IMO.
The bro who mentioned it feeling like shooting a .40 wasn't far off.
>>
>>28602770
Thanks.
I also think the SR guns look better than the muricans.
Might end up getting a 9E eventually. Cheaper and the features seem better on it than the SR9
>>
>>28602770
>>28602813
Forgot to ask, Do all of them come with a safety and does it ever engage without your wanting it too?
>>
>>28602756
Just checked, the case of Blazer I bought was .45ACP, not 9mm
>bad memory
>wew lad
>>
>>28602821
As far as I am aware, all SR series pistols have a manual safety.

I have never had it engage or disengage unintentionally on either.

>>28602823
That was certainly a close one.
>>
>>28598078
>Gun is light, doesn't soak up recoil as well as say a gen4 glock.
Wrong. It's heavier than a Glock and fails to control recoil well in spite of the extra heft.
>>
>>28602813
>>28602821
I've got a 9E and SR9C, haven't had a chance to try the American yet. I definitely like the wider slide serrations on the 9E than the SR series, also lack of loaded chamber indicator is nice but not a deal breaker. The safety has a good stiffness to it, so it isn't too easy to accidentally engage. They do have nice triggers and just feel good to shoot. They're excellent for the price. I would suggest getting a mag loader because their magazines are quite stiff.
>>
>>28598078
Got the 9mm version.

Things i liked:
>texturing in the front of grip is aggressive
>interchangeable grips are simple to change
>feels(to me) more comfortable to grip than a ppq and vp9(i prefer less texture on sides and more on front and rear)
>sig disassembly
>mag release buttons instead of lever
>came with 2 17rnd mags compared to 15 for ppq and vp9
>got it for $440 at a gunshow

At the range it shot fine. Shot exactly 400rnds and no trouble with any of the ammo(brass or steel), we shot white box, rem +p+, tula, blazer, and laxammo reloads. The recoil is a bit snappy, but less so than shooting a sig 226. The trigger makes up for the recoil. I would rate it as closest to feeling like shooting a 1911 trigger with a slightly longer pull. I didnt notice the reset being an issue. but imo thats more of a training issue.

Overall 10/10 TO ME

will this be my carry gun? Probably not since i carry a xds 45, but its light and compact enough that it wouldn't bother me in a iwb holster, although i would prefer to carry this in some sort of shoulder rig
>>
>>28603933
Cont

Forgot to mention, 4.3 trigger pull weight on mine
>>
>>28601076
>The trigger pull was great.
I've come to realize that 90%+ of /k/ can't tell a good trigger from a bad trigger.
>>
Why would you shoot ruger he was such a nice guy
>>
>>28600059
Guess Ruger didn't throw a kickback his way then.
>>
>>28604088
For your reference, Glock has a shitty trigger, kimber has a shitty trigger, the original LEM trigger from hk was a shitty trigger, the first generation of Steyr pistols had a shitty trigger. The sig p250 was a shitty trigger.

Compared to the above, the pull of the Ruger American is better. The pull does not include the reset.

Guns with good triggers include the s&w revolvers the newer style of hk LEM trigger, the sig p226 and for striker fired guns the newer Steyr pistols.

Hopefully that helps you.
>>
>>28603933
Stop making me want one. I don't need another pistol.
>>
>>28605147
Just get it anon, its cheap as fuck

FYI i have small hands that only 1911s feel comfortable in, and the small grips on this were perfect. I held the 45acp version, and it was slightly wider than the 9mm. I probably would have got the 45 if it came with a small grip(only med and large included). Reason is because the 45 was almost exactly the same weight as the 9mm
>>
Ruger brand Glock
>>
>>28605465
It's really not very Glock like. If anything it would be more of an M&P clone.
>>
>>28605352
Nothing is cheap when you're in college, but I will definitely rent it next time I'm at the range. Might bump it up the list of future purchases.
>>
>>28598078

Was this at Vance Outdoors by chance? I know they had that deal going.
>>
>>28607102
Vandalia range and armory.

Honestly, if you can't quite afford a Glock I dont think these are at all bad for the money.
>>
>>28608289

What I'm not getting is there any tangible improvement over the SR9 for more money? Because hell, you can find SR9s everywhere for $400.
>>
>Ruger
Idk why but everything with the Ruger name turns me the fuck off.
>>
>>28602758
It's replacing the SR series.
>>
Read the thread.
Watched Ruger's own video:

So Ruger is making the claim that they've used a special "recoil reducing cam" and have a lighter slide that is easier to carry.

>>28598078
>Gun is light, doesn't soak up recoil as well as say a gen4 glock.
>>28602770
>The American is just too light IMO.
>>28603933
>The recoil is a bit snappy,

The people in the thread who have shot it all say it seems like the slide is light or the recoil is snappy, I believe they are describing the same thing.

Glock lists 2 weights for their guns, a loaded and unloaded weight. Ruger lists one and does not specify. Either way the Ruger either weighs the same or more than the Glock, it's not lighter yet does not handle recoil as well.
It also does not yet have any of the aftermarket support.
I've shot both the Ruger American and the Glock and prefer the feel of shooting the Glock hands down.

So from the thread, Ruger:
>trigger pull feels good
>trigger reset sucks
>recoil management sucks
>cheaper than a Glock.

The gun does seem to live up to Rugers reputation for being tough though and runs better dirty than an HK:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAT4HXunfi8
>>
>>28613018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAT4HXunfi8
@9m12s
>It was a little hard to control

What is the fucking deal?
>>
>>28600810
>Implying any of us could ever match up with Fury Road Max.
>>
>>28613018
>>28613071
No, seriously. How can a gun be bad at recoil management?
Bore axis too high?
>>
>>28612589
If so, I'm glad I got my SR pistols before they did away with them.
>>
>>28604621
>kimber has a shitty trigger
Opinion discarded. I'm no fan of kimber but if there's one thing they do right it's their triggers.
>>
>>28617547
I posted that because I owned am ultra carry 2 and the single action break was harder than other 1911s I've owned by a good bit. This does not help accuracy and frankly the uptake and reset weren't any better either.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.