[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've got this Himalayan Imports kukri and i've only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3
File: 20160117_191738-1.jpg (3 MB, 1807x2766) Image search: [Google]
20160117_191738-1.jpg
3 MB, 1807x2766
I've got this Himalayan Imports kukri and i've only used it a handful of times, but the edge has spots where it's literally bent to the side, the tip of the blade too is bent over almost 90°. How can I go about fixing this? And how canI stop it from happening again?
>>
Stop cutting rocks with potmetal
>>
>>28584480
>How can I go about fixing this?
Removing a piss-ton of material with a sharpening stone
>And how can I stop it from happening again?
Not hitting anything harder than the blade.

If your heat treat sucks, you might have trouble with that.
>>
>>28584480
>I hit a rock and it dinged my blade

you can try to straighten it, or just grind the edge back to behind the dings.
>>
>>28584480
what have you done to your blade to do that you mongoloid
>>
The thing is I never hit any rocks with it. I treated it pretty nice considering these things are supposed to be able to through hell and back. Mostly just bushwacked shit and cut smaller branches off trees
>>
>>28584556
no one is believing that you only hit trees with that, son. trees don't ding a blade, unless that's the worst heat treated knife on the planet.
>>
>>28584570
I'm honestly not bullshitting here, if I hit it with rocks I wouldn't come here and ask "guys how did this?" Because it would have obviously been fucking rocks. I'm pissed because these himalayan imports kukris are expensive as fuck and I've taken it outside maybe 6 times since I got it
>>
>>28584629
your brother hit rocks with it then. because a tree branch didn't do that.
>>
good job hitting a rock dumbass always be aware of where your blade is going dont cut close to the ground if you can help it
>>
>>28584570
>>28584629
Sometimes trees have grit in the bark and wood from shit getting blown in the wind.

Still, it looks like you hit some gravel with it while splitting wood you had been resting on the ground instead of on a splitting block like you should.
>>
I've had a kukri for 15 years and used it regularly. It's an ex gurkha one but I can't imagine the steel is that different. It has one ding from when my retarded cousin borrowed it and hit a rock.

You've been trying to chop rocks or your downy relatives have
>>
I've never split wood with it. The worst i've done to it was cut down a little tree, maybe 3 inches in diameter, but where I was swinging was still a good 3 feet off the ground
>>
>>28584629
>>28584556
you are chopping with a stiff arc similar to an axe. knives and machetes don't function at their best like that. Its hard to explain but you chop at an angle that maximizes sharp surface to work
>>
>>28584480
would a honing steel be able to fix it possibly?
>>
>>28584687
that wasn't a tree, it was a pipe.
>>
>>28584698
it doesn't matter how you use a kukri, it's steel. Steel is harder than wood. Wood will not ding it. It's basic materials.
>>
>>28584698
This sounds like what could have happened, I know to swing at an angle but a couple times I caught myself swinging straight at it
>>
>>28584724
>Steel is harder than wood. Wood will not ding it. It's basic materials.
anon, that's stupid. you can bend steel with wood. It generally won't happen with properly hardened steel though.
>>
>>28584629
get a rockwell test tool. you may have gotten a fake one or some shit. i've seen butterknives take less edge dings than that bushwacking.
>>
>>28584782
you've seen someone bushwhacking with a butter knife?
>>
>>28584763
you don't seem to understand the difference between hardness and strength. Hardness is resistance to surface indentation. Nothing to do with bending at all
>>
>>28584724
steel gets very weak when drawn to an edge.

>>28584748
thats pretty much my guess as to what caused it. If you want to kinda learn yourself how to swing properly try splitting some short planks of treated wood like pallets minus nails/staples. Youll start to notice that specific angles on the edge makes work easier
>>
>>28584805
>>28584763

not anon but am I the only person who gets annoyed when people don't know the difference between hard, tough and strong?
>>
>>28584794
okay? how is that relevant? the wood didn't scratch up the steel. it bent it.
>>
>>28584782
Fucking hell i'm not buying a $1000 tool to test my $200 knife. I'd sooner just buy a new ghurka kukri house kurki. Alot cheaper than Himalayan imports and more styles
>>
>>28584826
Its got scratches in it too
>>
>>28584805
>steel gets very weak when drawn to an edge.
depends entirely on manufacturing method. The material properties will not change with dimensions.Only if you've been a twat making the thing.
>>
>>28584843
not from wood it doesn't.
>>
>>28584828
you can do a hardness test with tools you'll likely have around your house
>>
>>28584885
you mom tested my hardness last night
>>
>>28584851
no
>>
>>28584905
you'll likely be one of the tools in your house
>>
>>28584480
also you are using the very point of your knife to do chopping which is bad
>>
>>28584921
anon is speaking in science and engineering terms, you're speaking in practical things. The material itself will have exactly the same strength irrespective of it's dimensions, the object would be weaker if it is thinner which is.
>>
>>28584988
so anon is speaking in terms that no one gives a fuck about and are completely irrelevant, but he thinks it makes him sound smart.
>>
When you say "Himalayan" do you actually mean "Pakistani steel"?

Paki steel in knives is renowned for its poor quality.
>>
>>28584885
How would I do this?

>>28585038
That's the brand. The metal is 5160
>>
>>28585026
no anon is speaking in terms which are simple for anyone with an education can understand. This is 14 year old shit, if anyone thought this would make them sound smart I would be genuinely embarrassed
>>
>>28585090
dropping a weight from a set height onto a metal bb would do it. Then just use a couple of known materials with a rockwell hardness you can find online and compare it. You won't get anything accurate but you'll quickly tell if your steel is softer than aluminium or iron which'd be more than enough to tell the blade is fake

Also as it claims to be 5160 steel it 100% should not do this. That is a very good blade steel
>>
>>28585138
Kukri's are edge quenched traditionally that likely hasn't been done. I'm guessing they soft anneal the metal to machine it more easily and for whatever reason you've been given a non quenched and hence soft blade. Even with a soft steel wood isn't scratching it like that though so I'm stumped
>>
>>28585097
I can't think of any other reason he would be saying shit like that when it doesn't matter at all whatsoever.
>>
File: ultratech.jpg (949 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
ultratech.jpg
949 KB, 2048x1536
>>28584480

Imported garbage. Should have gone for an Ultratech instead. Ok, you might not get as much heavy chopping done with it but nothing can match the high quality and practical user friendly interface of an Ultratech.
>>
>>28585330
actually fuck off
>>
>>28585256
I can think of many reasons why, mostly because it does matter. You said a completely wrong statement on so many levels. Steel doesn't get weaker when drawn into a blade. It's unhelpful to OP because you're implying it's a design fault with knives rather than shitty manufacturing or steel choice. I hope you're either very young or very happy working in costco because I'd be amazed if you left school with such little physics knowledge, especially in one of the fields which is so incredibly important to weapons
>>
>>28585256
you're an idiot
>>28585396
you're a twat
>>28585330
you're a faggot

OP I'd contact the company your brought it from and complain, ask for a replacement as you believe the steel to be defective.
>>
>>28585439
you're a meanie
>>
>>28585396
>You said a completely wrong statement on so many levels.
I didn't say any statements, actually. That was some other faggot. Making metal thinner makes it easier to bend, is what I'd guess he was trying to say.
>>
>>28584570

I've chipped blades on cutting sappling. Not hard to do if you hit at right angle. Why you should be hacking with an axe, not a knife.
>>
>>28585537
>you shouldn't bushwhack with a machete
>>
File: ultratech2.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
ultratech2.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>28585348
>>28585439

But Anons, the Ultratech, is the safest, most cost effective option for those that want a very high quality, modern knife for general tool use.
>>
>>28585634
you are the type of guy who buys dragon dildos
>>
>>28585647
kek
>>
>>28585647

It's ok if you can only afford one or the other, just get your Ultratech now and dragon dildos later.
>>
>>28584480
>all these faggots mad their memeblades are actually shit innawoods
Get an ESEE or a Busse if you have money
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.