[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
War and getting older.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8
File: 1451757739935.jpg (891 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
1451757739935.jpg
891 KB, 2048x1152
>You were growing up during the Iraq and Afghan wars.

>They lasted long enough to where you became an adult and served in them.

>As you leave the service an older adult they are STILL going on.

It's like the only peacetime I have ever known in America is being in the military stateside doing room inspections every other day.

P.S. In 4 years 1990 will be 30 years ago and 1980 will be 40 years ago.
>>
>>28497574
It's OK, America hasn't been at peace since WW2.
>>
>>28497613

It truely seems like their is no end in sight.
>>
>>28497624
>>28497613
>>28497574
Welcome to the military industrial complex
>>
>>28497574
>P.S. In 4 years 1990 will be 30 years ago and 1980 will be 40 years ago.

Fuck I am getting old.

>Turn 30 next year
>>
>>28497574
>was in middle school when 9/11 happened
>joined with two friends at 17
>one of us killed in IED in A-stan
>became a broke-dick myself by IED in Iraq
>other buddy fucked his back when his Chinook crashed in A-stan

The two of us look back, and look at the wars now with a somewhat forced indifference.

I still follow developments in the "War on Terror" obsessively, despite the fact that doing so upsets me out of the absurdity of it all.

The longevity of the conflict kicks in though when you look back at family photos of when you were in of younger cousins and nephews, who are now asking your advice on joining the service.
>>
>>28497873
>The longevity of the conflict

I don't want to be that guy.. but I kind of saw this coming way back when. I knew this shit wouldn't be over quickly.

I also didn't think that ten fucking years later we would still have forces over there. Jesus fuck, get them home already.
>>
>>28497896
I hear you, by the time I joined we were already too invested in both theaters. Anyone who believed we were making any type of significant progress or that this problem was going away was far removed the reality.

I'm kind of conflicted on the continuance of engaging these various Islamic extremists. While I presently also see very little gained with our continued action and presence in multiple theaters of operation, I'm sorry to say I'd rather fight them there.
>>
>>28497574
I'm 56. A quick look at some timelines shows that we've been in some shooting war or other for about 50 years of my life. Oddly enough, the majority of those peacetime years were during my time on active duty.

Looks like war is our default setting.
>>
The younger recruits don't even remember 9/11 at this point.

In a few years we'll be getting guys who weren't even alive when it happened. We'll still probably be fucking around in the Middle East, though
>>
>>28497873
How many men come back with severe damaged to their genitalia/reproductive organs? Do you think that has a bit influence on how men who survive that live after? Both in their personal/private life and in their professional and otherwise lives?
>>
>>28497873

Does that mean what I think it means?
>>
>>28498431
>I'm 56

Can I drink with you?
>>
>>28497574
Welcome to Rome in the 300s, OP.
>>
>>28498431
" For as the nature of foul weather lieth not in a shower or two of rain but in an inclination thereto of many days together, so the nature of war consisteth not in actual fighting but in the known disposition thereto during all the time there is no assurance to the contrary. All other time is ‘peace.’"
Leviathan
>>
>>28498481
bump
>>
File: sMbh2IZ.png (227 KB, 500x347) Image search: [Google]
sMbh2IZ.png
227 KB, 500x347
>>28498431
>56
Senpai

Teach us more

How do we deal with liberals?
>>
>>28497574
>Reminiscing about the good time
>should of never got out, more wars coming

Without the threat of losing life, you'll never know how valuable it is.

P.S. I can't wait to go back to Afghanistan in a few months and hopefully merk some stinkeys in sangin.
>>
>>28498462
>>28498481
He means he got hurt. Probably something injuring his leg(s). Not necessarily his genitalia.

Broke-dick is slang for people who get injured bad enough to go on light duty or get a medical discharge.
>>
>>28498449
That hits home hard. Wow...

You could go up and ask them why they're there, factually and personally.

They weren't even fucking born yet when the US was triggered

Jesus that's sad. What has become of us?
>>
>>28500758
Worst part is U.S. males become bigger and bigger pussies, thanks to the your a winner too Timmy complex, and you should tolerate other people's bs, thank you "progressive thinking"
>>
>>28497873
>broke-dick

how broke are we talking
>>
>>28497708
military industrial university complex

do not give the research arm a pass.
>>
>>28497736
i have underwear with scorch marks older than you
>>
>>28501006

I love you too grampa
>>
>>28498123
its not about winning

its about selling arms.

you could only have been a muhreen.
>>
>>28498431
guns is just as good as butter
>>
>>28501061
And we've made our process so efficient that we now have cows making howitzers. No other society in history has achieved that degree of effectiveness.
>>
>>28499867
Honest answer?

Remember that they're motivated by fear. They demonize us because they're afraid of us, because their leadership has told them that we're scary and dangerous. They do that because there's a lot of money and power to be found in pandering to fear.

So, you show them that we're not the enemy. Scared people tend to lash out. Libs do it at the ballot box. Eliminate the fear and you've eliminated 90% of the talking points of the lefty leadership.
>>
>>28500665

Santos?
>>
>>28501540
Who the hell is santos?
>>
>>28497708
get fucked hippie
every country is more or less at a state of war. Its part of being a first world nation that has to run shit and look out for itself. You only think you aren't in a state of war when things are going smoothly and you can sit on your ass in luxury thinking nothing is going on
>>
>>28501622

Don't worry about it. Man, I miss that guy. Lost his contact info.
>>
File: thanks jews.jpg (672 KB, 1560x671) Image search: [Google]
thanks jews.jpg
672 KB, 1560x671
>tfw I was 13 when Vietnam 2:Desert Storm Edition kicked off
>most of my formative childhood was in the post 9/11 warfucked US
>but still old enough to remember my early childhood in the late 90's and how great they were to grow up in
>have in my lifetime seen my country go from the highest optimism of the turn of the millennium to the descent into degeneracy and cynicism of the following decade and a half

nowadays, I realize just how much I resent having grown up in this war environment.
>>
>>28498449
Fuck. I'm 26, now I feel old as fuck.
>>
File: 1311950054653.jpg (10 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
1311950054653.jpg
10 KB, 275x183
>>28503631
>mfw that pic
>>
>>28500835
Where I'm from that attitude got beaten out of most people
>>
>>28503631
This. I'm 22 and I can't even remember a time when we weren't bombing the crap out of haji
>>
>>28503631

>That pic

I want to save it for those stupid threads where OP is like "why would you date an ugly gaiijin girl instead of a superior azn beauty"
>>
What the hell happened
>>
>>28497736
>20
>Meet like 11 year old girl, someone at work's daughter I think
>We talk
"Oh my god, you were born before 2000? You're OLD!"
>2004 was like 20 minutes ago
The fuck happened!?
>>
>>28498495
"For the nature of foul weather lies not in a shower or two of rain, but in an inclination of many days together, so the nature of war consists not in actual fighting, but in the known disposition during all the time there is no assurance to the contrary. All other time is 'peace'."
That shit was nearly above my reading level. So many unnecessary words.
>>
>>28501754

This a retarded point of view. The US has a serious military spending addiction, as evidenced by the fact that we're looking out not only for ourselves, but all the useless members of NATO who refuse to pull their weight and kick back while we handle everything (e.g. Germany)
>>
>>28502907
Marine buddy?
>>
>>28505706
>>2004 was like 20 minutes ago
Friendly reminder that 2011 was FIVE YEARS ago
Yeah, I'm 19 and I'm still thinking "what the fuck?" over that
>>
File: 1450835672015.jpg (193 KB, 600x739) Image search: [Google]
1450835672015.jpg
193 KB, 600x739
'Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing and dancing, sooner than war.'
>>
File: tellmeastory.jpg (8 KB, 270x187) Image search: [Google]
tellmeastory.jpg
8 KB, 270x187
>>28498431
>>
>>28505975
I feel like the bryce harper pre draft hype was yesterday
>>
>>28505822
>its a retarded point of view
welcome to the grown up world, junior. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it any less true
>>
>>28497574
I barely remember 9/11 happening when I was six, and for most of my life I've heard about shit going down in the ME or wherever. It just seemed odd to have all of this happening while here at home things seemed to be normal, though I do agree with
>>28503631
The rise of the whole SJW movement has really made me disillusioned with what my generation will probably be.
>>
>>28505675
wll most of those are asian american born in the USA to USA azns.

get a genuine jap or second generation american asian and you are mostly alright
>>
>>28507407

You know, acting condescending doesn't make you correct.

I could probably do the same thing and imply you never graduated high school, but I'm not, because for once I want to actually have a civilized discussion on /k/ with someone that can debate like an adult and not a 14 year old.
>>
>>28498431

You were born in 1959-1960.

Vietnam 1959-1975 16 years. Really the shooting war for the United States was more like 1965-1972 but we'll make it 16 years to be generous.

Mayguez rescue 1975 One day

Grenada 1983 Abut two weeks

Panama 1989 Call it a month

Desert Storm 1991 Three days. Call it a month if you count the air campaign

War on Terror 2001-2016 15 years and counting

So Vietnam and the War on Terror take up 31 years. If you count all these other things as a year each, even if they only lasted a month, you get five more years. How does 31+5 equal 50?..
>>
>>28512555
didnt the "war on terror" actually start 2003?
>>
>>28503631
>asian american
>3 white girls and a nignog

ok
>>
>>28501754

Just how disillusioned and brainwashed are you? Not juts a few, but most first world countries have been in a state of peace for 71 years now. And no, it is absolutely fucking irrelevant what sand niggers are doing 4000 miles away in their mudhuts. Please say it out loud, so you understand, NO country, especially USA, looks after anyone except themselves. Read: National interests through geopolitics. You are a simpleton for thinking that your government is somehow interested in helping, or looking after, some fucking dutch kicking back on their tulip fields or singaporean bankers banking in banks. Fucks sake this shit triggers me.

Listen you naive prick, the only effect of american wars in ME is increased flow of refugees to other first world countries, and increased hostility between them and us. Thanks. I wish saddam was still beating them in line with a stick and preventing them from leaving their mudhuts.

>muh wmd's
>muh terror attacks

Why the fuck do you think those things happened to begin with?

Ps. I'm a happy nomadic expat moving around the globe in search of better paychecks and new adventures, it just saddens me to see the two bulwarks of western life, US crippled with fear to support endless wars (and filling the pockets of the few in the process) and euro's beautiful medieval cities and culture drowning in somalis and over-encumbering their welfare and social security systems crippling the economy.

*sigh* as much as I love war and its tools as a concept, and don't condemn wars per se, I can't stand naive sub-humans drinking the kool-aid of their upbringing and propaganda machines, irrespective of country/origin.
>>
>>28509866
and you can divert the conversation away from the topic if you want to as well I guess
>>
>>28512994
>*sigh*
for fucks sake, as much as I agree with some of your points you whole opinion just went down the shitter
what the fuck are you, a 14 year old girl on facebook?
>>
>>28501486
c-can i call you dad?
>>
>>28512994
Im "brainwashed" enough to not take things at first glance and call it a day.
Countries do shady stuff all the time to better themselves and stay top dog, its a fact. Im sorry the latest Facebook click bait article gave you the latest celebrity gossip and not the scary real world so it didn't get your limited attention. How many countires were involved in the Iraq/Afghan wars? How many countries now are trying to covertly deal with ISIS and terrorism? How many of them are still in competition and forging alliances? The cold war never ends, just because we don't see combat troops on the ground somewhere doesn't mean there aren't spooks keeping their eyes and ears open. But yeah, keep on eating the shit CNN and Fox news shovel out and want you to focus on as "media"
>>
>>28513765
this
>>
>>28512555
Here, have some timeline-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_United_States_military_operations

We get involved in an assload of little regional conflicts that nobody hears about because it never makes the news. Our involvement in the Middle East effectively started in 1947, we've been losing blood over there ever since. And all of the drug war or regime maintenance we've done in South America is also a thing.

The fact is, if there's a shitty little war going on anywhere on the planet we'll be involved to a greater or lesser degree.
>>
>>28497574
>you were growing up during the Iraq and Afghan wars
Jesus. I was 15 and living with my (military) dad in East Germany when the Iron Curtain fell.

I was in basic training when we switched from Desert Shield to Desert Storm.

I was in the first wave into Afghanistan and the first wave into Iraq 2 years later.

I retired in 2014, after we'd -supposedly- left both places, yet we still have troops in combat roles in Afghanistan and "advisors" in Iraq.
>>
>>28513800
If you want. It's gonna be weird, though. >>28513809
>>
>>28516174
I don't know why I linked that other post. This internet shit is hard.
>>
File: 1380354374172.png (14 KB, 178x178) Image search: [Google]
1380354374172.png
14 KB, 178x178
>>28498449
>>28498449
>20 years old
>6 during 9/11
>youngest generation to even remember 9/11
>possibly the last generation to remember even vague bits of pre 9/11 America
>>
File: 123123123.gif (365 KB, 400x328) Image search: [Google]
123123123.gif
365 KB, 400x328
>>28513765

Yeah I'll give you that. I'm at work and it's been a long day. I also don't post often so I've forgotten what's accepted and what's not. Clearly using asterix to convey non verbal disappointment isn't what it was years ago. It's hard to keep up with these things- this: >>28516192
>This internet shit is hard

>>28513809
That was the point of my whole rant, countries do shady stuff to gain the advantage, and people take their actions for their face value (as if they were toppling regimes out of compassion to their peoples) and have this silly delusion that US handles everything for those who don't pull their weight, as if it was somehow in Germany's interest to destabilize said regions. However, I quoted the wrong post, I was tired and messed up. As a matter of fact I can't even remember who it was meant for, fuck. I'll just shut up and keep drinking coffee. I don't know how you could misunderstand my post so completely though, how you got facebook, cnn, and fox news mixed with a jaded lose-the-patriot-goggles post is beyond me. I've never seen fox news, now that I think of it.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.