[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
gas mask/respirators
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 14
File: gas mask.jpg (78 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
gas mask.jpg
78 KB, 1000x1000
What do I get if i expect it to be even remotely reliable
>>
>>28444767
Anything modern that takes a 40mm up to pick related
>>
File: krystle-in-gas-mask.jpg (123 KB, 670x846) Image search: [Google]
krystle-in-gas-mask.jpg
123 KB, 670x846
>>28444767
do you have the full NBC suit?
a mask is just going to protect you against eye and lung irritants by itself
no SWAT team is going to be able to gas you

the never agents and air born viruses that'll get released when the happening happens? not so much
>>
>>28444880
No, but im trying to be prepared for likely happenings, most of which include airborne shit that i would like to not breath, nbc suit will come alongside it, just want to be sure that there isnt some ubermensch gas mask out there, or if pic related is fine
>>
>>28444880
shit are those leather panties
>>
>>28444919
also /diy/ had a whole thread on this
https://warosu.org/diy/thread/S920446
also includes stuff for guys with beards
>>
>>28444917
>likely happenings
Likely my ass, why don't you go back to watching doomsday preppers.
>>
>>28444939
>also includes stuff for guys with beards

This should really be the default for what you want to look into - because, frankly, you don't have time to shave if you are in a situation where you will be using a respirator all the time
>>
File: 1451799265964.jpg (303 KB, 2048x898) Image search: [Google]
1451799265964.jpg
303 KB, 2048x898
>>28444767
Anyone know what kind of masks these dudes are wearing?
>>
>>28444959
Im not saying they are likely, just the ones that are more likely, also, would like to take up a few hobbies that require a respirator (smelting, airbrushing, etc) and would like to have it be usable in a shitty situation(ex; fucking tear gas or some random airborne bullshit that fucks people up)
>>
>>28444767
those avon masks are so fucking sexy, comfortable too. Dat $600 price tag is a bitch though.
>>
>>28445418
yeah, thats the killer, but hey, the stats dont lie, and those filters are incredible
>>
Ayyy
>>
>>28444767

M50 is the best mask out there. Get one on ebay and some filters and you're good to go.
>>
>>28444767
3M 6000 series half or full face respirator. Multigas cartridges with a P-100 prefilter.
>>
>>28445418
They're better by a long shot than the previous gen, but as someone who has done his share of military exercises, wearing them for any length of time still sucks balls especially when in the rest of the MOPP kit. Even if you're not out in the sun or moving around much, the heat starts climbing quickly and there's never enough air moving across your face. The previous gen was even worse about that and the filter hanging off to the side pulling your head down that way was annoying as hell.
>>
Masks aren't nearly as useful as people make them out to be. A filter can't handle anything smaller than the molecule you're filtering down to.
>>
Don't 3m or Honeywell make some wicked good masks and suits?;I imagine they would be a bit cheaper anyway because its not attracting the .mil crowd
>>
>>28444767
Anything you get will reliably look fine for your cosplay, faggot.
>>
>>28446741
That's why you need a mask that filters all molecules regardless of size. These kinds of masks are actually cheaper than masks with worse filters.
>>
>>28446996
>filters all molecules regardless of size
So it won't let through oxygen molecules either? Great. What about hydrogen? Nitrogen? Any of the other shit in the air we breath to live? It's a good thing it filters out literally all molecules.
>>
File: 1449179736536.png (144 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
1449179736536.png
144 KB, 400x266
>>28444880
Improper seal 1/10 at best.
>>
>>28444767
If you don't know what to look for, then you probably don't know how to use it.
>>
>>28446861
There's any number of manufacturers who make good respiratory protection. Anything that's NIOSH certified is better than any milsurp. Civ respirators are built to higher standards than mil gas masks.

Shop around until you find the brand, model, and size that gives you the best fit. Then get a few sets of cartridges that protect against whatever hazard you're most likely to encounter.
>>
>>28444939
Leather panties? I'm not clicking that link.
>>
M50 is the best mask on the market. I'm going to try to steal a bunch from dumbass Marines before I get out.
>>
>>28444974
This pirate crack-down is a-go.
>>
>>28444974
Is that a fucking chainsaw?
>>
>>28444974
FAST helmets with some gasmasks.
>>
Disappointed.
>>
Stupid question, but why do some gas masks even bother having two distinct circular eye holes? Aren't the gas masks with full-front visors superior in vision?
>>
>>28446741
That's not how filters work. They don't physically block molecules, they use adsorbent filter media that catches the bad stuff, usually activated carbon.

BTW, that is not a typo. Adsorbent means that it catches reactive molecules on it's surface, vs absorbent, which draws molecules inside the filter particles, like a sponge.
>>
>>28450859
Single , circular lenses tend to be more rigid, so it's easier to manufacture the mask with a reliable seal.
>>
>>28444767
>What do I get if i expect it to be even remotely reliable

Avon FM50/FM53 (British mask used by Americans) or Scott GSR (American mask used by Brits)
>>
>>28444767
General question, i've red that the avon M50 as in OP's picture comes in 3 sizes. Does anyone know what size would most fitting for an average 1.80 meter tall european?
>>
>>28451187
>Americans using a British mask and Brits using a American mask

Some sort of a cultural exchange program or is there some valid reasons not to go with a domestic product? Different standards maybe?
>>
>>28451204

Fit is based on head/face size, not your height.
>>
>>28444767
A lot of land with a lot of trees. A home underground with an air and water filtration system.

The days of mustard gas are over. Modern Biological and nuclear threats will defeat anything you can put on fast enough for it to matter.
>>
>>28447319
>thats_the_joke.jpg
>>
File: mrwhite.jpg (11 KB, 175x265) Image search: [Google]
mrwhite.jpg
11 KB, 175x265
>>28444880
Those pesky microbes, some one ought to do something about those.
>>
>>28451259
Yes of course it does. The height should been implying that, since body and head are proportional, the head / face we talk about has slightly larger dimensions as the average european person, as the height is slightly above average too. And what i wanted to know was, if someone with similar sized head / face would recommend a medium or large sized M50.
>>
>>28451610

What is the circumference of your head and its largest point? You can use a piece of string to measure, but they might call it twine where you are from.
>>
>>28444880
Oh shit its the psychedelic underground bunker girl, wish I could have been a part of what went on in that compound.
>>
>>28451228
Yeah, doesn't make much sense.
>>
>>28451672
Thanks, I will look into it
>>
>>28447525
Maybe that's why op is asking anon. To learn.
>>
>>28451090
Thanks anon. I learned something new today
>>
>>28451228
I know the Brits wanted a respirator with pretty insane levels of protection and they determined that the Scott one offered that over the M50.

But AFAIK the M50 is supposed to be more comfortable to fight in, and better for comms and stuff - at least that was Avon's argument when they complained to the British govt about losing to an American company.
>>
>>28451610
No it doesnt. Im a pretty tall guy and have an average sized head but I was issued a small size mask
>>
File: get out of here stalker.jpg (54 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
get out of here stalker.jpg
54 KB, 800x800
>>28445029
3M half mask respirator with a box of particulate/organic vapor filters. Buy a box of 3M goggles. For disaster cleanup this+NBC suit what you'd want. for nuclear shenanigans without the ability to decontaminate your gear makes it pointless.

if you want to drop the dosh a 3M full mask for specific uses they are superior. Operating Operationally isn't one of them.
>>
>>28444974
>gungungungunFUCKINGCHAINSAWgungun
And suddenly I feel a need to play some Doom.
>>
File: It would be extremely painful.jpg (20 KB, 310x305) Image search: [Google]
It would be extremely painful.jpg
20 KB, 310x305
>>28456353
typical OSHA requirement level gear will work for anything that won't outright kill you or make you wish you were dead.

If da habbening happened your real threats wouldn't be VX and radioactive dust, it'd be asbestos, dioxin, and all the other assorted goodies from 30's through 90's construction suddenly burning/collapsing all at once.
https://www.osha.gov/doc/topics/demolition/
>>
>>28449604
>>28456400
probably for breaching
>>
>>28444880
What's the sauce on this??
>>
>>28444880
I'm confused... okay, I choose the girl.
>>
>>28451710
IT'S JUST ONE FLY MR. WHITE
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 600x600
No mask can filter out everything, so what do you guys think of SCBA/Rebreathers?

I've been thinking about getting ones of these. Compact closed system with a chance of fiery death.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=CowjpZDtNlE
>>
>>28444917
>nbc suit will come alongside it,
Are you trained in Hazardous Materials and proper decon procedure? If not don't bother.
>>
>Buying HazMat Gear without being Trained in Hazardous Materials and Certified to use it
>Not being properly fit tested for a mask and sizing based off a "string around head test"
>Current Year
>>
File: MC_PROD_20371[1].jpg (30 KB, 600x595) Image search: [Google]
MC_PROD_20371[1].jpg
30 KB, 600x595
>>28444767
Haven't read the thread.

I have a GP5 gas mask, and some original filters that are older than me.

I also have access to new NATO filters.

Is there anyway to get a useful/modern filter on my gp5? I did a seal check on it, like you learn to do in NATO militaries, and it seems to still seal.

Would I be better off, that is SAFER, just getting a whole new something else?
>>
DO YOU GUYS EVEN S.T.A.L.K?
>>
>>28460021
No, I believe the threading is thicker on the soviet gas masks. Russia might still be manufacturing filters that fit onto the GP-5, though.
>>
>>28451317
I hate this "nothing matters, all is for naught" attitude.

Maybe someone has the ability to bunker down, but wants to be able to walk around on the surface AFTER without inhaling some methel-ethel-badshit.

Maybe someone wants to explore the surface after yellowstone erupts, because they know their marine research home (which has and will survive tidal waves and earthquakes plus more) is going to likely survive.

Maybe someone wants to travel the areas of the world that CURRENTLY need PPE to explore safetly, the several lightly irradiated areas of the former soviet union, or even MURRICA's own ecological disaster zones like Centralia.

There are alot of reasons for wanting to have MOPP gear/quallity PPE.

I mean fuck, it could even be a safe queen equivalent; maybe they just want functional kit because they're a collector and it gets their dick hard.

Some of you guys sound like those antigunners that say "why you want a gun? you could never defend yourself against the world if you needed it."

Ok I'm done ranting.
>>
>>28459811
>with a chance of fiery death
Go on, continue.
>>
>>28460057
So we all agree beards fuck up the seal. That's a given fact. But we all agree respirators with a beard is better than no respirator at all.

Chemical, radiological and biological threats aren't really the concerns I'm reading about. Mostly the mask is to deal with immediate irritants such as maybe peperspray, dust, ash, asbestos and other particulate matter that may be a result of the happening, correct?

If I'm reading all this right, I'm assuming masks then become more of a urban scavenger tool than an innawoods survival tool - and most of the things you would assume you want a mask for, just having a mask alone without the rest of the suit, would be useless.

Am I right so far?
>>
>>28460034
>future snork
>>
>>28460095
Did you watch the video? It's got subtitles in the options.

Basically if you get water into the canister the chemicals inside will react violently and kill you.
>>
File: 4W350M3.gif (16 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
4W350M3.gif
16 KB, 736x736
>>28444974
Why is there a tactical chainsaw, exactly?
>>
>>28460112
HA! Why the fuck would you even bother with that?
>>
>>28460057
>>28460021

Is there any, improvised solutions for getting a GP-5 gas mask service-able with non-correct filters or even homemade filters?

Let's just say it was the only option in your hellscape country...
>>
>>28460137
I guess as long as you stay out of water you won't explode.
>>
>>28460145
Where do you live where you can only buy GP-5 gas masks?
>>
>>28454900
In your opinion, is the Scott one actually better? The wikipedia articles on both make them sound almost identical.
>>
>>28460137
Because it's awesome. Also cheap compared to commercial rebreathers. As far as I know Russian rebreathers are the only military surplus on the market.
>>
>>28460183
But I excrete water vapor in my breath, what about rain?
>>
>>28460214
That dude was using it submerged in water. What about rain?
>>
>>28460220
I guess I wonder what the implication are. Will it blow up if I accidentally tear a hole in the bag, or get a grazing shot, while I am wet/in rain? I can see that inflatable bit not surviving intact through even a non-violent trip through the woods or a city. Just that alone makes it a risk, but then if it is punctured while wet is there a good chance of Boom?

I don't think I want one at the moment, but I also don't know what conditions really are required for catastrophic failure, I just know it can happen.
>>
Would j be correct in guessing the schm41m I bought on a drunken whim isn't effective at doing much more than scaring my little brother?
>>
>>28460375
>Will it blow up if I accidentally tear a hole in the bag, or get a grazing shot, while I am wet/in rain?

If you understand Science, a little bit of rain even with the bag being compromised wouldn't result in instant death. The big complication would be underwater - Which you won't be.

I would be more concerned about the 2 hour lifespan of the system. While it's great for diving - your innawoods excursion in "the zone" would kill the filter before you could get anywhere. If you carried a full days supply of filters - 6-8 replacement cartridges - you would not have room for anything else.

The only way I see this system being of any use is getting you out of an immediate hot zone of instant death shit like nerve agents or maybe radioactive fallout? 2 hours isn't alot.

If you aren't wearing it while driving a car to your bug out point it's probably useless.
>>
>>28460404
The filters have probably expired, yes. If you can find new filters it should work just as it's supposed to if it's undamaged.
>>
>>28460407
It looks like these are more for emergencies than long term. Like in the YT description it says they were used for escaping submerged tanks.
>>
>>28460435
Yes, but ultimately a 2 hour run time on that thing, which how large it is, seems like a liability.

If you are running outtazone to innawoods, you'd probably be better off with some sort of standard masks, or even N95 filters.

Anything you will need a full suit for will kill you before you get it on. Anything that doesn't a full face mask should be enough.

The rebreathers 2 hour run time seems like a liability if anything, since you probably need 12-24 hours of "insurance time" to make sure you get to your bugout spot, and you can carry days worth of filters for the size requirements of that thing.

Not to mention how the fuck am I supposed to put on all my other gear with that shit?
>>
>>28460452
I suppose it depends on how far the toxic zone has spread and how long it will stay there. Most nerve agents don't stay very long, but they can take from a few hours to a few days to dissipate.

Seems to be enough space for a backpack at least. Not sure how you'd fit a plate carrier wearing it, though.
>>
>>28460473
My bug out location is 6 hours from where I am right now.

My fighting load consists of a full sized plate carrier, as well as a big ass Mystery Ranch Bag with supplies to hike the whole way if necessary. My truck load consists of a small plate carrier and enough supplies to hypothetically get me somewhere safe on foot.

Long story short, using that set up, which is designed for divers, would get me killed. Unless I was able to drive out of the contaminated zone without any hindrances or detours what so ever, I'd make it fine.

It takes me an hour to get out of the city if there is mild traffic sometimes. Imagine a happening.

Any way I think about employing that system practically it gets thrown in the trash immediately. It just makes me mad because you know some fucktard here is going to buy it to rely on.

Otherwise I'd buy it and keep it on my shelf. Looks fucking cool.
>>
>>28460420
From my understanding it sat unused in a German warehouse for 20 or so years. How would I find new filters for it? My googlefu must be subpar.
>>
>>28460493
Well at least you have a bug out zone. My plan for the Happenings is hiding in my house until it's over or I'm dead.

Honestly, in the event of a chemical attack I doubt plate carriers would be all that useful. Everyone without a mask would be dead.

Also, I doubt anyone here would use this for SHTF. I just looked it up and prices seem rather expensive, and cartridges rare. If you want to blame a mask for killing /k/ommandos, blame cheap slavshit like the GP-5.
>>
>>28460561
>Honestly, in the event of a chemical attack I doubt plate carriers would be all that useful

Never doubt the plate carrier. In SHTF its like doubting shoes.
>>
>>28444880
fuck this narc ass bitch
>>
>>28444767
Got to admit these masks are the cats pajamas. 3.5 years sucking rubber every month in Kunsan with the old shit and these are so much better. I've never had one fog up on me and they are easily the most comfortable mask I have ever worn. Good luck swapping filters while wearing it without a mirror though. Also has a surprisingly good field of view. The reinforced top parts of the mesh start to dig in a bit after a few hours, but it's not nearly as bad as the old ones. Also if you wear glasses you have to get custom inserts that clip in the mask. No idea how a civie would go about that so yah hope you don't wear glasses. Just g wiz question how much protection would a tyvek painters suit provide the average poor fag kmando? With a say surplus east german or equivalent mask.
>>
>>28460806
Decent protection but tychem suits are like 23 dollars so that's what I'd go for.
>>
>>28460109
My dreams have been shattered
>>
>>28460452
Certain filters can block out certain things, but no one filter can block everything. At least, none that I know of. The rebreather is effective because it does not require outside air to filter, therefore protecting against anything airborne so long as the rest of your body is protected as well.
>>
File: chackibracki.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
chackibracki.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1536
SEA make good respirators/gas mask
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.