[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did The Republic choose an X-wing pilot to perform a HUMINT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 9
File: image.png (262 KB, 317x464) Image search: [Google]
image.png
262 KB, 317x464
Why did The Republic choose an X-wing pilot to perform a HUMINT operation /k/?
>>
>>28434112
For the same reason that the Colonial Military uses Viper pilots as ground troops
>>
>>28434112
Out of any of the retarded shit in any of the star wars movies, this probably the one that's easiest to explain.
>>
>>28434112
Because mon mothma decided to be a no-guns hippie and disarm almost the entire republic during an ongoing Galatia civil war the second she thought the republic had the upper hand
>>
>>28434112
Because the X-Wing is iconic and Disney didn't want to cause any confusion with its brand recognition.
>>
To introduce a character
>>
File: 17624783146.jpg (765 KB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
17624783146.jpg
765 KB, 4160x2340
>>28434169
>Because the X-Wing is iconic and Disney didn't want to cause any confusion with its brand recognition.

Like when they did that animated Clone Wars series.
>>
File: l-elf.jpg (147 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
l-elf.jpg
147 KB, 1280x720
>tfw want to pilot a fighter craft and do HUMINT/SOF at the same time
>no positions in the military allow me to do this
>have tried to come up with a billion reasons to cross train but can't come up with one that would be convincing

I wish.
>>
>>28434144
Its a movie for kids and manchildren. The rule of cool applies.
>>
The same reason they used X-Wings for a heavy bombing mission.
>>
Why did the First Order send a janitor on a raid to capture a HVT?
>>
>>28434255

There have been aviators/NFOs who went through BUD/S and became SEALs I believe.
>>
>>28434255
ANGLICO is kinda high speed. I think there are often aviators or former aviators that do that stuff.
>>
>>28434112
Because the Rebellion/Resistance are terrorist organizations. Fighter pilots are their cells; people sitting out in the sticks with a couple of small craft, watching, listening, and waiting for something juicy to come along.
>>
>>28434374

Wouldn't an x-wing be very conspicuous?
>>
>>28434112
why are there human pilots at all? space travel technology, flying around on planets, and still stuck with g force limitations of human pilots onboard
>>
>>28434382
If encountered, sure, but it's also very easy to hide in a backwater place where nobody will find it till it's needed.
>>
File: 1366932582060.jpg (65 KB, 922x546) Image search: [Google]
1366932582060.jpg
65 KB, 922x546
>>28434365
>ANGLICO is kinda high speed.
>tfw torn between trying for 13F op4/40 or 0861 ANGLICO/recon and those dress blues
>>
>>28434461
TOP FUCKING KEK
>>
>>28434413
Because it;s a fucking movie
>>
>>28434413
Because like there's magic ftl there's magic counter inertia to go with magic artificial gravity.
>>
File: frodo.jpg (30 KB, 840x481) Image search: [Google]
frodo.jpg
30 KB, 840x481
Why haven't they gotten around to putting some armor on the big ass hole on the back of the X-wing so it doesn't get fucked up by blaster fire?
>>
>>28434413
"Inertial compensators"
Not to mention Star Wars univers has anti-grav shit all over the place.
>>
>>28434308
Were any of the prior movies really any better about that sort of thing? The first Death Star attack had X and Y-ings both performing the same roles in the same mission, and the second Death Star attack had X,Y,A, and B-Wings all just flying around shooting shit without any real regard to their roles as fighters or bombers.
>>
>>28434568
>battle of Takodana
>as soon as the battle is joined, Poe makes 17 (somewhere about there) confirmed kills, foot mobiles included, in less than 30 seconds

Saw the movie with my air force pal and he said he popped a chub during that scene
>>
>>28434647
How is that related to >>28434568
>>
>>28434665
I didn't even click that post number what the fuck. It's not related, I don't know why it was quoted.
>>
What i dont get is that the First Order made the resistance's fleet out to be a major obstacle. I was anticipating an actual fleet. But the movie showed like a dozen x-wings. Was that seriously the fucking fleet the first order, who has a planet sized base of tie fighters and guns, that fucking afraid of?
>>
>>28434556
whats the point of armor on xwings if one laser hit from a tie fighter makes it explode into millions of fiery pieces?
>>
>>28434710
Republic, not resistance.

They couldn't touch the resistance directly withotu getting cockslapped
>>
>>28434710
Re-watch the Starkiller Base firing scene. The nearest planet to the camera has a bunch of capital ships either in orbit or in atmosphere.
>>
>>28434144
>Out of any of the retarded shit in any of the star wars movies, this probably the one that's easiest to explain.
Lol, this.

If the rebel alliance won the war and overthrew the empire, why are they still considered the "resistance?" They aren't resisting the New Republic, are they? If anyone is the resistance at this point, I'd think it'd be the First Order.
>>
>>28434786
this is blatant shitposting because you haven't bothered to get your facts straight.
>>
>>28434112
It's like you never read Wraith Squadron.
>>
i know its a movie, just wondering if someone with knowledge of the fanfiction facts and stuff can explain how the technology of the laser blasters work? like why does light travel out of a blaster in little sectional bursts, and not one instant continuous beam to the target? are the blasters not light or something?
>>
>>28434966
IIRC they're technically particle weapons, and people just refer to them as lasers
>>
>>28434966
They're more like plasma, people just call them lasers. Like people IRL calling magazines clips.
>>
>>28434966
Ok.

Take Tibana gas. Agitate the fuck out of it with a laser, then force it through an electromagnetic chamber that packages the ship into a coherent bolt. The weapon deals damage with the heat and force of the bolt's impact.
>>
>>28434710
No. The Republic and the Resistance are seperate. Imagine the Republic is the US in a cold war scenario, and the Resistance is a PMC/Geurilla army that the US is secretly paying to fight battles for them.

The resistance is actually a private military owned by General Leia. Officially they have no connection to the Republic.
>>
>>28435023
But the Republic turned into the Empire
The Resistance is an entirely new entity.
>>
>>28434326
Fucking this!
>>
>>28435058
No, dude, there's a new republic. It formed after the Empire was defeated in VI. This new republic has been in a cold war with the imperial remnant that turned into the First Order. This is all explicitly stated in supplementary materials.
>>
New Republic: US/Nato
Resistance:PMC (Secretly funded by the NR)
First Order:SS/Werwolf/ Possibly a splinter group from the actual Empire?

as for OP's questions. Rebel pilots had to double as Commandos/ Special forces for almost as long as the Rebellion has existed. Plus Small one man fighters are capable LRRP shit and hit and run missions. why not make the sure the Pilot is just as deadly on the ground as in the air.
>>
It's easier just to recognize that everything in it is stupid. Star Wars is a bunch of schlock.
>>
>>28435016
thanks, this actually sounds plausible. what is a bolt though? you mean like chewbaca's crossbow? or like a bolt of lightning
>>
>>28435099

>supplementary materials
>>
>>28435156
depends on whose stuff you want to listen to. either its a bolt of plasma or it's an overclocked blaster.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bowcaster/Legends
>>
>>28435156
The best way to describe it is a magnetically formed projectile of plasma.
>>
>>28435156
>What is the bolt.
Basically a ball/rod of superheated tibana gas. Essentially it's a plasma rifle. No idea on Chewis Crossbow, but I assume it's just a more powerful wookie derivative of a blaster rifle.
I.E. Pretzels was same mello mike.
>>
>>28434112
anyway he is a good character, may be the best one in the movie
>>
>>28435190
>http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bowcaster/Legends
thanks for the link. here is the explanation for a regular blaster for anyone interested:

A blaster was any type of ranged weapon that fired bolts of intense plasma energy.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Blaster
>>
>>28434112
>The Republic
he's with the Resistance
>>
File: Wildcards.png (14 KB, 400x340) Image search: [Google]
Wildcards.png
14 KB, 400x340
>>28434141
same reason United States Marine Corps Space Aviator Cavalry, 58th Squadron pilots are infantry.

because of this show and because I heard the phrase "every marine, a rifleman." I seriously thought marine aviators were also infantrymen
>>
>>28435003
they fire plasma, which is why the magnetic containment field on a lightsaber can deflect blaster fire.
>>
>>28435276

Pretty sure they are. They have to attend The Basic School before flight school.
>>
>>28434581
i would like u to describe the Death Star run based on actual aircraft role operations so you can make it plausible as possible
>>
>>28434581
The Rebels couldn't afford dedicated role craft so they focused on multiroles like the X- and Y-Wings. Even their dedicated craft, A-Wings and B-Wings, were capable of acting outside their role.

>>28434326
>>28435098
Sanitation is just his makework assignment. Remember the First Order and the Republic weren't actually at war in the beginning of the movie.
>>
>>28434255

B-but Rambo is SOF and a tanker and a chopper pilot.
Were things simpler in the 60/70s?
>>
Would you nuzzle with Poe Dameron while lying on top his X-wing late at night gazing at the stars, /k/?
>>
>>28435276
I miss that show.
>>
>>28434240
>Disney
>Clone Wars
>>
>>28434255
Army night stalkers. They're trained in a lot of SOF type stuff in the event they are shot down.
>>
File: hunter thompson.jpg (21 KB, 300x392) Image search: [Google]
hunter thompson.jpg
21 KB, 300x392
>>28436243

u wot m8
>>
>>28434461

God dammit /b/.
>>
>>28434112

If the Starkiller can suckl out a sun, why does it need to destroy planets? Also, a Star Destroyer is capable of levelling a planet, isn't it?
>>
>>28436596
Because it has to be in the same system as the sun to suck it up, but can shoot planets in other systems. Star Destroyers can level a planet, but it is slow, can be stopped by planetary shielding, and puts them in range of planet based weaponry.
>>
>>28436596

>If the Starkiller can suckl out a sun, why does it need to destroy planets?
It doesn't need to destroy planets per se, but it affords it the obvious and immense advantage of engaging targets remotely.

If the First Order jumped the base in to a heavily defended system that they wanted to destroy (say, the capital of the New Republic), the local fleet force would be up their asses something fierce. And as we saw in the movie, Starkiller is incapable of withstanding a lightweight starfighter assault, never mind a flotilla of Mon Cal cruisers. On the other hand, from lightyears away, Starkiller can strike with impunity.

Another thing that people who ask this question ignore is that even if you a suck a planet's parent star up, that doesn't kill it right away. It could still easily be a strategic threat, or even evacuate it.
>>
>>28434786
I was confused about that too. I mean shouldn't the Republic be operating from a position of strength in the galaxy now? Why was the First Order allowed to regroup and rebuild after the war in the first place?
>>
>>28436684
The New Republic was politically precarious in the early years as many of the issues that led to the Clone Wars hadn't been resolved, or were exacerbated, by the Empire. After forcibly disarming the remnants of the Empire the New Republic demilitarized and compartmentalized their forces. Some of the information is conflicting as to how powerful the First Order actually is, with some indicating that it's most of the Imperial Remnant with others indicating it's a splinter faction.
>>
>>28436620
>>28436630

The whole idea of the Starkiller is retarded beyond fucking even horizon.

>Fucking asshuge planet with obviously oxygen atmosphere and water weather system
>whole equatorial regions became digged out and replaced with some retarded machinery
>we just fucked up all climate patterns and change the planet albedo like 30% but it's ok, it's fine, nothing changed, the pine trees are hapilly growing and snow is happily falling from the sky
>jump this thing into existing planetary system
>that's fine, the stability of the system is just perfect, billions of tons of solid rock added to it have absolutely no efect.
>oh, and type of the central star, distance from the central star, axis tilt and rotation period of our Starkiller do not change of course, so climate do not change at all
>and new set of tidal forces, caused by our new sun and other celestial bodies in the system do not havy aaaany influence at all
>ok, since we are comfortable, lets' destroy our new sun by sucking a mass out of it!
>of course drastic change in mass of the sun, as well as the amout on energy received have absolutely no efect neither on Starkiller, nor the stability of the rest of the system. Orbits are the same, the gravitional equilibrium is not changed at all
>ok, sun is out, so in other words we just removed the 99% of the mass of the system from said system.
>nothing changed! we are not fucking thrown like a rock from our previous orbit into a vast darkness of the space. Our rotation speed do not exceed to the point where centrifugal forces will tear the planet apart.
>during sucking out the sun, when we remove outer layers, and therefore exposed the core where nuclear fussion is happeninig, the said core do not fucking blow like a supernova, anihilating everything in something like bilions of miles radius. why? because fucking disney!

All right, I know that it not supposed to be hard SF, but so far they have enough fucking common sense to avoid such a bullshit.
>>
>>28436762
There is one thing you need to keep in mind when discussing anything about Star Wars: there is a character in the EU who had his head replaced by a laser cannon.
>>
>>28434786
The Resistance is a PMC operated by Leia, not an actual part of the New Republic.

Also, to answer OP's question, because a single fighter should have been fairly easy to sneak in and out of an area undetected.
>>
>>28436762
Meh, it's par for the course. Or were you not there when the Death Star made a bug laser by shooting a bunch of little lasers into each other?
>>
>>28435156
Iirc it's basically a space crossbow/railgun
>>
>>28436762
I bet you are fun at parties.

Nothing in star wars makes sense at a deep level, from the way space ships behave in space to how they re enter atmo or going up to orbit.

There is no such thing as shields.

There is no such thing as anti gravity

There is no such thing as the force

Lightsabers, if used indoors, would heat up the room/space ship to unlivable levels, and if used outdoors would cause sever burns to the operator.

A self contained plasma beam, as used in blasters, is impossible and would not be visible.
>>
>>28434112
another question is how fucked is the New Republic in episode 8? the First Order just destroyed the seat of government and the Republic fleet, the Resistance spent over half its strength blowing up the Starkiller. Meanwhile the First Order has the resources and manpower to hollow out a planet into a superweapon and not seem to give much of a fuck when it's destroyed. Leading me to believe that in episode 8 the republic will get its shit pushed in hard.
>>
File: GreenFinal.jpg (641 KB, 1577x700) Image search: [Google]
GreenFinal.jpg
641 KB, 1577x700
>>28434240
The Z-95 was already an EU thing, they just co-opted it because it was cool
>>
>>28436762

I understand your frustration, especially when comparing this to how the OT felt. But it's been inevitable since JJ came on board that the movie was going to suffer from unintelligible rule-of-cool nonsense.

>>28436818

I don't know if the superlaser system is explained in detail somewhere; but I would speculate that the Death Star used the same gravity well generation technology to manipulate beam pathways that was deployed on Immobilizer 418s.

>>28436868

This may all be true, but it was much more believable in the OT. Reducing TFA's flaws to basic criticism of fantasy does nothing to alleviate them.
>>
>>28436957
That would follow the pattern. In 8, the Resistance will suffer a major defeat, our heroes will be separated, and Rey will learn that she comes from a long line of force users. In 9, the group will be reunited, the Resistance will prepare for one final assault to save the galaxy, and Snoke will fall victim to his own hubris, either by the hand of Kylo Ren or some other trusted follower who at the last minute decides to "do the right thing".
>>
>>28436957

>Leading me to believe that in episode 8 the republic will get its shit pushed in hard.
That would certainly follow the retread pathway that JJ has laid. They just move straight from lifting the plot of ANH to lifting the plot of ESB.
>>
>>28437007
To be fair, if JJ took the franchise in a completely new direction he'd have been eviscerated by the manchildren that make up star wars' fandom. [spoiler]Fuck i hate that word, makes me feel sick to type[/spoiler]

At the same time, he -did- begin to develop a new plot with Darth Plageis, the Knights of Ren, and Luke in exile, along with bringing in his distinctive spacefuture aesthetic updates to the table. It strikes me as incredibly deliberate how much the movie seemed to be a riff on episode IV, while at the same time changed the direction of the series.
>>
>>28436997
>This may all be true, but it was much more believable in the OT.

So let me get this straight...in a world of space wizards holding magic cut though anything swords, that have moon sized artificial space stations that shoot death beams...your issue is with a planet sized death beam.

Enjoy being a contrarian fuccboi.
>>
>>28434855
Wraith Squadron is a fucking joke.
Ewok pilots.
They actually considered that, and then made it real.
>>
>>28437048
Of course it is a version of really all three of the orginal triligoy.

It has to be.

We have an entire genoration of people who have ZERO idea of what starwars is. They had to reintroduce the universe, while making it fun.

The reason why people have no idea what star wars is (or outright hating it), is due to that abomination of prequels.

JJ just did what needed to be done. Nobody wanted another 4 hour long trade federation debate/pod racing flick. It simply would not make sense to 75% of the movie goers.
>>
>>28435207
I read somewhere (can't remember) that Chewie's bowcaster actually wraps plasma around physical projectiles.
>>
>>28436746
>how powerful the First Order actually is, with some indicating that it's most of the Imperial Remnant with others indicating it's a splinter faction.
It's supposedly a "Nazis restart in Argentina" scenario but I like to imagine them as North Korea after the fall of the Soviet Union. It's a small-ish group that's got more fanaticism than usable resources, with delusions that they're going to conquer the world. Their stormtroopers are indoctrinated child soldiers whilst Imperial troopers were legit clones or volunteers. Imperial stormtroopers were vacuum hardened and FO troopers lack hazmat protection. They have bigger Star Destroyers that supposedly violate treaties but they have only a handful and mostly use them to scare the neighborhood.

If the rumors are true the only reason Starkiller base works is because it's full of lightsaber crystals.
>>
Basically the first order controls a little space, and the Republic funds the Resistance inside that space. Right?
>>
>>28437179
The Death Star didn't have an exposed ecosystem to worry about, it didn't have to compress the mass of a star inside itself without seeing any increase in gravity, and it couldn't destroy any planet in the galaxy in minutes without moving. Starkiller base is something an 8 year old would come up with for his shitty fanfic.
>>
>>28437048

That maybe (emphasis on maybe) so, but until actual changes and innovative ideas are realized, TFA is just revisiting old ground.

>>28437179

Go fuck yourself. I said the OT's portrayal of fantastic imagery was much more believable, not that one deals with believable concepts and the other doesn't.

Enjoy shitty writing.
>>
>>28437371
Basically, though the New Republic can't directly fund the Resistance due to hippies. Leia is bankrolling the operation almost singlehandedly. She even sent someone to Hosnian Prime to convince them to send money before the system got nuked.
>>
>all these people complain about scientific flaws in Star Wars
>ignoring Star Trek, Babylon 5, Star Gate, and Farscape
>>
>>28437456

It's not that I don't realize that Star Trek is riddled with scientific flaws; it's that I'd much rather talk about Star Wars.
>>
>>28436684
>>28434786
It's like this.

The New Republic has started to establish itself.

But the First Order has organised itself from the remnants of the Empire.

The First Order controls certain sections of the galaxy.

The Resistance "resists" the First Order's control in these sectors of the galaxy and operate with the support of the Republic in this mission.

tl;dr the Resistance is the Mujaheddin, the Republic is America and the First Order is Soviet Afghanistan.
>>
>>28434435
it wasn't even covered with a tarp though. The first order could have found the ship from orbit.. fuck that's probably how they found him in the first place.
>>
>>28437497
>tl;dr the Resistance is the Mujaheddin, the Republic is America and the First Order is Soviet Afghanistan.

This should have been in the opening crawl
>>
>>28437798
Poe's intro seemed to be a very quick thing, as in the First Order is breathing down our necks, you need to get this and go right now. The resistance probably doesn't have secure FTL communications, forcing them to rely on manual, physical delivery.
>>
>>28437861
That still doesn't explain why he couldn't be assed enough to put a tarp over the xwing though, or, ya'know using a more subtle ship.
>>
>>28437861

>The resistance probably doesn't have secure FTL communications
They have access to (presumably) the Holonet. They were monitoring the attack on Starkiller in real time.
>>
>>28437907
I'd say that he probably wasn't planning on staying at all, but that's not how it was shot. Dramatization and all that jazz.
>>
File: enjoy the fireworks.png (242 KB, 443x319) Image search: [Google]
enjoy the fireworks.png
242 KB, 443x319
>>28435581

ITT: manchildren that make up pretend stuff.
>>
>>28438022
You mean the holonet that the empire built? I'm sure that can't be monitored by the first order at all.
>>
>>28438070

Well given the way the First Order was talking about the Empire (that they scavenged parts of the map to Luke's location from the Empire's archives), I don't think they're really in control of it. I assume the New Republic inherited at least part of the infrastructure.
>>
>>28438063

ITT: shitposters ignore facts.
>>
>>28435276
There's only a couple of episodes that they go full retard like that. The episodes where they give a good reason for the 58th to be stranded on the ground are fine, like sugerdirt, or the one with Butts.
>>
>>28434112
Simple: had to go to planet at the edge of first order space, may have to dogfight their way out of trouble.

That's the best solution I can come up with.

Also, mon mothma = no funz nerfed military
>>
>>28436541
Only after 93. Before then they were just trained to a higher standard, mostly on navigation and night flying. They also used to carry shit for weapons, and eventually were able to kit out like their regular customers. Source: The Night Stakers, In the Company of Heroes. Both by Mike Durant. They offer an interesting perspective into the 160th SOAR.

Holy shit, did I just make a non shit post on /k/?
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.