[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reactivating war trophies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: sten48 (1).jpg (230 KB, 800x670) Image search: [Google]
sten48 (1).jpg
230 KB, 800x670
Theoretically, how hard would it be to reactivate a Sten trophy with the barrel assembly welded shut.
>>
>>28420191
Depends on how it was deactivated and how much/what is welded
>>
>>28420201

What if the upper and lower receivers are intact, trigger assembly works, the bolt is intact but the barrel assembly is welded shut.
>>
>>28420378
I just assumed the tools necessary to bore a barrel from scratch were expensive and unreliable.
>>
>>28420378
the barrel is actually the hardest part to manufacture followed by magazine then the bolt
the rest of it is rather simple and may actually easier to fabricate from scratch rather than unfuck fucked up parts
>>
File: 4411610.png (78 KB, 288x288) Image search: [Google]
4411610.png
78 KB, 288x288
>>28420555
>the magazine is the 2nd hardest part to manufacture
>>
>>28420378
if its plugged and welded from the front (which alot of those were) you can just chop it off, if its soldered or filled with lead, its possible to melt the lead without damaging the barrel, but you need a furnace with a thermostat.
>>
>>28420584
the bolt is the first
>>
>>28420584
no really springs and everything are hard to make consistently if you are doing one offs
how are you going to stamp out a bunch of mags without tooling and welding
on a mag almost everything is important
>>
>>28420609
that could be true if we werent talking about stens but sten bolts are pretty simple
>>
>>28420657
>go to hardware store
>buy set of springs that fit your needs
>>
>>28420695
I was wondering where you buy springs.

Is it really the hardware store? I don't think I have seen any there, but I haven't looked either.
>>
>>28420713
You know, neither have I.
Home depot might have them. If push comes to shove and you need one you can always salvage them from junk items I guess
>>
>>28420713
your not going to find premade springs that will fit in a mag at a hardware store
>>
>>28420769
>that will fit in a mag at a hardware store
>Have a shed full of tools
>Want to make home-made mags
>Fuck, the only springs I can find are a foot long uncompressed
>not just cutting them with a hacksaw and making any necessary adjustments
>>
>>28420713
How well would coil springs work in a magazine? I know some later 19th century guns used them and casket mags now use them as well.
>>
>>28420794
you are really underestimating how much engineering goes into a magazine
>>
>>28420798
I would assume if you just used two-3 equivilent springs in tandem to match your round length it'd be cool.
>>
>>28420516
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihPFjuxBjPo
>>
>>28420840
M14 mag springs are #7 piano wire wound counter clockwise 14 times around a square mandrill
>>
>>28420695
implying people dont reguarly go to bearing and industrial suppliers for parts including parts to design spec for one offs and machinery repair.
>>
>>28421568
Bit off. Spec is .063" wire with 8 turns. Mandrel is roughly 1.65" by .75"

Round springs like those used in the Sten are even easier to make.
>>
>>28421995
Could've sworn it was 14 turns
and sten mags use square coil springs
>>
>>28421995
Like a watch mainspring? How do you use one of those in a magazine?
>>
>>28420609
The bolt on a STEN gun is literally a chunk of steel that has a small protrusion for a firing pin and a notch for the ejector. Nothing complicated.
>>
>>28422023
Sten mags are more oval than square. 27 turns of ~.056" wire. Nothing really fancy or difficult about them.
>>28422041
As in a round coil compression srping. There have been mags buitl using torsion springs like in watches but they tend to be rare.
>>
>>28420378
Too bad guns in the US aren't deactivated like that. They cut up the receiver into four parts and drill the barrels so they're useless.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.