[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
mercenaries
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 9
File: 1448593915272.png (529 KB, 1015x1527) Image search: [Google]
1448593915272.png
529 KB, 1015x1527
Just out of curiosity, what's the quickest way to become a mercenary? Would they train you or do you need military experience? What's the pay like? What's the practical difference between "legitimate" companies and shady one? If anyone has any experience with mercenaries I'd like to hear about it
>>
Modern PMCs generally only take guys who served in combat roles in combat zones. There is currently a glut of ex soldiers looking to do the work, so they can pick and choose.

Back in 2003-2006, there wasn't though. Guys who did a tour in iraq and then got out or even security types who had never deployed could get hired on to a PMC, because the US Gov was hiring them like crazy. It was really a golden time if you wanted to get your foot in the door with little or no experience.

These days, however, there's plenty of infantry types with two, three or even more tours in Iraq or the stan getting out to fill quotas. If you want to operate, your best bet is enlisting in a military force and try to be as high speed as you can. Failing that, look into the legion. Failing that, go to Kurdistan and get some hands on experience the old fashion way, fighting a war for peanuts and to kill terrorists on war tourism.

Or, you could always set up your own thing in a place where people dont care about credentials.
>>
File: 2098_4e8c_500.jpeg.jpg (92 KB, 500x498) Image search: [Google]
2098_4e8c_500.jpeg.jpg
92 KB, 500x498
>>28407203
Could you tell me more about Kurdistan and fighting renegade causes like that? I'm more interested in the shadier side of things as it's (mostly) for a novel I might write although I am looking for adventure/an interesting way to pay my way through college. What about Africa? Africa during the late cold war was the truly wild west; anyone could be a mercenary and if you were skilled enough and were with a good group you could topple local governments at will and install whoever you wanted; anyone could be a warlord if they were brave/smart/ruthless enough Do you know if it's still like that or are modern African governments too strong?
>>
>>28407117
look up the book "Manual of the Mercenary Soldier" by Paul Balor.
To be in a PMC where you're going to have a weapon you need Mil or LE experience.
To be a merc/soldier of fortune you need to go to some real shithole countries.
No one is going to give you on the job training, they'll only provide training to keep your skills maintained.
You can pay for training at Academi and a few other places. Depending where and who you are you might be able to get training at NATO Centers of Excellence.
If you want to be a self-made merc you need to be a regional expert, at the least bi-lingual, and have a lot of money. You also need to know a lot of other people in your craft.
>>
>>28407418
Look up the Lions of Rojava on facebook and such, they'll tell you everything first hand.

It's not the African Govs are too strong, most are honestly weaker than they were in the 60's, it's just that the UN and everybody else woke up around the late seventies and realized guys like Executive Outcomes could single handedly keep a dictator propped or a border stable. They didn't take kindly and started going after finances with interpol and such. The smart guys went more legit with proper state security and advising, the even smarter ones went to southeast asia and had a little more fun for awhile, before doing the same.

These days, Africa is the same shithole it was, with your flavor of gang/mob warfare occupying random parts of countries, or marauding across them like your Boko Haram types. Difference is, these days you can get your ass bagged fast if you're in a country that doesn't want you, and sectarian fights like Libya don't take the fucking kindest to white guys who don't bring a couple tons of equipment every time they stop by.
>>
>>28407418
watch the film "Point and Shoot"
http://www.sonsoflibertyinternational.com/
There are plenty of Kurdish support organizations. There are some things you should know. A large majority of Kurds are communist. There are Kurdish commie terrorists who clash with Turkey often. Turks don't like the Kurds. Kurdistan is not recognized to be a country by anyone except Kurds. The claim to Kurdistan occupies areas of Turkey, Iran, Iraq. Kurds speak 2 distinctly Kurdish languages as well as other regional languages. The Kurds have an ulterior motive in fighting in North Iraq. They aren't just fighting terror to be the good guys, they believe by putting in the work to control North Iraq it will give them legitimacy to be an internationally recognized nation.

As far as Africa goes I don't really know much but there is crazy insane warlord shit happening across the whole country 24/7. Drug wars, muslim vs christian wars, tribal genocide wars, power grabs, mineral and resource control wars. Africa is fucked up I'm sure you could go over there and shoot people but I don't know who is gonna pay you.
>>
File: 1434677383927.jpg (202 KB, 680x750) Image search: [Google]
1434677383927.jpg
202 KB, 680x750
>you will never come home from vietnam
>you will never pick up soldier of fortune magazine
>you will never see the BE A MAN AMONG MEN page
>you will never fly to Rhodesia and fight alongside your fellow man, black and white
>you will never remove communism
>>
>>28407497
Members of Executive Outcomes are still operating. I don't remember if it was in Africa or the Middle East that I last heard about them.
>>
>>28407579
There are plenty of places you can go to remove communism. Mainly Africa, the Middle East, and Pacific Asia. Pretty much the only radical terrorists in the world right now besides Takfir are commies. Look at Turkey and Thailand.
>>
File: REPIN_Ivan_Terrible_Ivan.jpg (837 KB, 2992x2328) Image search: [Google]
REPIN_Ivan_Terrible_Ivan.jpg
837 KB, 2992x2328
>>28407579
Mfw Africa's brightest hope was extinguished before I was born
>>
>>28407584
Yeah, but they're not flying Hinds or blowing up airfields over somebody's border anymore.
>>
>>28407579
>wanting to come home from Vietnam just to be spit on and called a baby killer by hippies
na m8

I'm surprised there wasn't mass shootings from pissed off vets back in those days
>>
File: smokey.gif (493 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
smokey.gif
493 KB, 320x240
>>28407564
What do you think of the lions of Rojava? They seem like a bunch of university-style anarcho-communists that are toneing down the red to attract foreign sympathy. A lot of idealism
>>
>>28407624
First ever record of zombies eating brains
>>
>>28407673
That's because that was before the media turned mass shooters into fucking celebrities.
>>
>>28407718
Everybody is an idealist online. ISIS, SAA, Nusra, YPG, everybody. That's the game, be the holier asshole and get people thinking "maybe this asshole isn't completely an asshole"

But on the ground, everybody is the same. It's just one guy with a machinegun or an ied trying to blow up you or your guy. Public relations is an art, masquerading death as something noble or worthwhile. Even militaries do it when it suits the need.
>>
>>28407718
Anyone who is a volunteer and a partisan is an idealist. I don't think there is a worthwhile conflict in the world right now that an NGO or private client would pay you to fight in. If I was looking for some "toe dipping" into the merc world try and do private security for people going to the Olympics in Brazil. Brazil is a shithole, rampant with gang crime. The police have been waging an internationally quiet quasi-military operation to get crime under control in the favelas. I've heard the government is even counting homicides as "missing person" to make crime look lower. I also heard that Brazil might be letting people in without a passport temporarily for the sake of tourism during the games. This will be a good opportunity for regional crime.
>>
File: 1401401752774.jpg (188 KB, 829x1200) Image search: [Google]
1401401752774.jpg
188 KB, 829x1200
If one had enough money, how easy would it be to hire a few mercenaries and take over a lawless, mineral-rich, dirt-poor region and set ones self up as a warlord? Extracting resources and selling to the Chinese whilst hiring boer mercenaries to solidify your grasp of the region. It seems that the only thing stopping it would be local governments; but with western business efficiency one could easily out compete rival warlords and pay off the government
>>
>>28407117
i work martime security currently, and have worked for triple canopy back in the late mid 2000's.

PMC stuff is like any other business: there's guys working the floor, and guys in admin. lastly there's executives.

ignoring the huge amount of work that's available in admin, i'm assuming you're only interested in the floor positions or maybe one in a shop somewhere. those more or less require:

1. relevant military/paramilitary experience, usually several years (2+) to even be considered.

2. you need first aid training and certifications, and depending on your station, you might need extra stuff like watch standing, firefighting, et c

3. lastly you need practical experience of not being a fucktard. this includes a fairly clean record, maybe a normal day job or some certifications/paperwork that show you have had responsibilities on the job and people have trusted you to do good work. really any 4 year degree and a couple of good job references are all that this is.

4. driver's license of some sort. you will have asked to drive a LOT. also hauling crap so if you are familiar with trailers that's a plus.

anyway it's a lot of standing around and keeping an eye out for things. you're also usually a 1st responder for accidents and for giving a helping hand with mundane stuff (carrying boxes, spotting for a crane, cleaning stuff up, cooking food sometimes, et c).

think of modern PMC duty like being a cop with fancier gear and you aren't far off. the glitz and glamor is a lot more impressive than the actual job.
>>
>>28407883
Really hard, if you're not from the area and can't pretend with even the flimsiest excuse to be the government. If you want to really take over a mineral rich, dirt poor region, without the hassle of maybe getting killed, get into international business.
>>
>>28407883
As foreigner? Almost impossible without being labelled a terrorist. As a local? Get Chinese backing first.
>>
>>28407832
I will look into this, thank you. How would one get in on that though, would they hire foreigners? Do they need experience? What companies do that sort of thing or is it on the individual level
>>
>>28407957
>>28407968
What about as a businessman? If I simply bought a mine, had mercenaries for security, exerted influence over nearby town though funding public resources/ employing them and use money to influence the government to my favour it would be the same as being a warlord, just without having to steal the mine. Besides, it's pretty much what every mineral company in Africa has been doing since the white man first showed up, the only difference is that this is on a smaller, more entrepreneurial level.
>>
>>28408006
It's all about having a large network of people. There are a lot of ways you could get down there in theory...I don't know of any companies expressly interested in the Brazil games. All that information would be private and between the client and company. If you joined a company you wouldn't really have any way of knowing where you'll be going unless they are regionally specialized.
You can look for clients yourself by finding people who are "afraid" haha. If you are dealing with a client privately you could just lie about your experience. Maybe you can go to Brazil and just abduct the tourists for money haha.
>>
>>28408159
How much money do you have to spend on this theoretical venture. You can always buy out the locals. It's how every company exploits poor people.
>>
File: 1440263903892.gif (277 KB, 240x287) Image search: [Google]
1440263903892.gif
277 KB, 240x287
>>28408261
>>28407957
I just read an article about a Somalian town that hired a wealthy Somalian businessman who had been living outside of the country for years to come there and be their warlord. Apparently he has been a great success and hugely popular and the town is back on its feet after years of looting. It seems like there is a demand here that is going mostly unmet, I sense an opportunity here; Tired of looting? Government not helping? Live on top of a mineral deposit, but are too poor to extract it? Just call Acme region stabilizer! Well send you your very own warlord to protect you from marauding bands of savages and help you get back on your feet
>>
>>28408511
Modern day East India Company
>>
>>28408511
Go and do it anon. Find that mine, and then invest in making the lives of the workers not shitty.
>>
File: 1448669348001.gif (2 MB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1448669348001.gif
2 MB, 600x450
>>28408596
This guy gets the idea
>>
File: 1363668925504.gif (2 MB, 446x252) Image search: [Google]
1363668925504.gif
2 MB, 446x252
>>28408697
Thanks for believing in me senpai; I know that someday I will achieve my dream and ill come back here and thank all of you for your encouragement and offer you fiefs in my thriving empire
>>
>>28407117

Join the French foreign legion for at least four years, learn a few essential languages and possibly serve in some other military branch. Survive this in good mental and physical shape and literally anyone would be more than willing to contract you.

If your a NEET this will never happen. You gotta put serious work in.
>>
>>28408946
Anaerobic exercise cannot be stressed enough.
>>
>>28408801
>Empire
You ain't no Cyrus the Great anon, or else you wouldn't be here. But you maybe can become a local tyrant/benefactor in Africa if you just work your ass off.
>>
>>28407949
And this gets ignored? Nice one /k/.
Hell i'd do it sounds great. I'm still in service though. I really wouldn't mind that much mundane it's already pretty mundane here but I'm assuming the regs are more slack? Obviously not to the point of trench coat wearing fedora's but I would much prefer some comfortable professional attire of this Teflon suit I wear as a uniform. Maybe one day.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.