[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whatever happened to big-bore rimfire cartridges, and why haven't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9
File: 10.4x38 Swiss Rimfire.jpg (5 KB, 100x252) Image search: [Google]
10.4x38 Swiss Rimfire.jpg
5 KB, 100x252
Whatever happened to big-bore rimfire cartridges, and why haven't we resurrected them so our Bong brethren can enjoy some non-.22lr semi-auto fun?
>>
Turns out it sucks
>>
>>28399304
Pic related is what OP was shot out of, btw.
>>
>>28399304
We can't have semi-autos except for .22 rimfires.
>>
>invest millions in equipments to manufacture shit rounds to sell to britain
>sell 8 bullets in the first year
>cover of the newspaper says new baby killing bullets, loophole in the law everyone will die etc.
>they ban all rimfire including .22

That's how it plays im my head.
>>
>>28399304
I;m gonna need some backround information here.

What is the advantage of rimfire, what was/is the disadvantage?

What was the most powerful rimfire round?
>>
File: Bin that knife.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
Bin that knife.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>28399304
>2016
>Me not caring about britbongs who gave in to "reasonable" gun control. Fuck them and fuck the way they rolled over like the French. They dug the hole they're in.
>>
File: 20000 hours in paint.jpg (27 KB, 440x440) Image search: [Google]
20000 hours in paint.jpg
27 KB, 440x440
>>28399356
Bongs can't have semi-autos except in .22 rimfire

So we make pic related, call it .22 Wide and market it as less-than-lethal "sporting ammunition."
>>
File: adler.jpg (10 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
adler.jpg
10 KB, 650x366
>>28399335
Shit like that happened here in australia.
A lever action shotgun with a 7 round magazine had the media screaming about a rapid fire, paramilitary style weapon that was designed especially to exploit a loophole in our gun laws.
Despite the fact that nothing was even slightly restricted about this gun, the media hype was so great that the government implemented a ban on it and so you can only get the 5 round mag version.

>and yes someone on a panel show did describe it as a paramilitary weapon.

Pic related, the gun in question.
>>
>>28399420
Do they sell adlers in the US?
>>
>>28399368
>the little ghettonigger sign at the bottom
I will never not be confused as to how american gang culture spread outside of america, unless people seriously suck hollywood chodes so hard they use tvtropes as their war imagery...
>>
>>28399431
Europeans have the weird habit of screeching about how evil and cultureless America is while sucking down parts of its culture
>>
>>28399425
fucked if I know, probably
>>
>>28399304
Can't Brits own rifles without a permit if they were made in the 1800s or something? So the Vetterli would be exempt.
>>
>>28399420
Australia needs to STAY FUCKING QUARANTINED HOLY FUCK WHAT IS WRONG WITH AUSTRALIA

I talk to women there sometimes, and the can't and knowningly refuse to have an eucated opinion on guns, I think they believe that being as ignorant about the subject matter as possible shows extra disdain for it or something. Good luck ausposter, and please don't let your shitty county's mental problems spread, I don't want normal people to HAVE TO deal with ausantis.
>>
>>28399441
It's true. I've noticed that the more angry about america the average yuro is, the more american crap they have.
>>
>>28399431
England is a shithole full of street thugs and drunks. It's a very violent place.
>>
>>28399457
Yeah, so why don't they have their own brand when it comes to graffiti and gang signs? It is all just copying american shit? Why? Doesn't that rub these 'ardened crim'nals as extremely child-like?
>look mum I can be a gangbanger just like in the states!

I'd figure that their gangs would be, distinct and I don't, have some innate self respect at least?

This is just dumb and sad.
>>
>>28399368

>Word4Weapons
>Sally Army

At the risk of getting tipped, Christfags gonna Christfag.
>>
>>28399473
It really seems that gangs and thugs are a byproduct of the welfare state. Wherever you find and gov't handout system that rewards bad decisions and penalized responsibility you find this rise of fatherless children and a street culture.
>>
>>28399487
Yeah, but you keep missing my point.

In afghanistan, the gangs and equivalent didn't copy western nigger shit like a grafittii style or gang signs because they are in their own country and are of their own culture. NOW, I still think that all gangs are fucking evil-pathetic losers that roll deep because they'd all be scared of any fair fight. But at least the afghani ones knew well enough to be fronting for themselves instead of somebody else's crappy cultural rejects.
>>
>Whatever happened to big-bore rimfire cartridges
Rimfire primers ignite powder unevenly from where they're struck.

Centerfire allows for better, more predictable powder burn.
>>
>>28399510

Do you think it's possible that you might be reading a little too much into seeing a single piece of graffitti on a charity bin that was probably drawn by an edgy 14 year old who saw it on a rap album?
>>
>>28399307
Are you telling me that this gun shoots faggots out at high velocity? Jesus.
>>
>>28399457
>its a very violent place

The average person in England will never even get into a fight after they leave school unless they are the kind of person who hangs around dodgy pubs, how is it 'violent'.
>>
>>28399510
>In afghanistan
They also don't speak English and have limited access to westerners.
>>
>>28399532
First, I hate going to visit my sister-in-law in England. Every time I'm there I see some drunk duking it out while the sun is still up. Assholes fucking with and spitting on the bus drivers. The place is tiny, dirty, expensive, and the people are dumb fucks that like to go to fists.
>>
File: 1451401002518.gif (50 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
1451401002518.gif
50 KB, 750x500
>>28399525
YEAH, so!?
>>
>>28399532
So about 50% of the population?
Do you also think these people live at the pub, don't walk the streets, don't use public transport, never move around?
>>
>>28399550
Where the fuck does she live?

I have never seen drunk people fighting let alone in the middle of the day and I have never seen people 'fucking with bus drivers'.

What you are talking about sounds more like a comedy stereotype of Glasgow than anything I have seen in real life.
>>
>>28399550

This namefag's obviously unbiased, anecdotal evidence clearly settles the matter. Lets talk no more about it.
>>
>>28399304
>>28399307
Yay Veterli !
>>28399370

Hum 2 main reasons why not :
Why?
1 because rimfire cartridges are hard as hell to re prime ( being part of a collector gun club I had to help an old friend to reload : .32fr and .44henry, there are two ways to make ammo for thoses :
-either you use a tool on your press to push the back of the shell, fill it with liquid primer, re flat the back to seal the ring, empty the excess primer liquid, then powder, then ball then crimp then pray for it not to be a squib because you are firing it in a 4k€ gun...
or you use that :
http://www.hc-collection.com/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=2382399
thoses are .22rimfire blanks pushed in the back of the .32rf or .44henry shell that had been hollowed out, so it's basically a centerfire now....

2 because as larger the casing goes, as larger the "ring of fire" created by priming counpound goes, and thus become less efficient and more prone to fail to make a constant burning and pressure growth inside the casing,

combine the two and add the evolution of smokeless powder and velocity/pressures and that's why Center fire have rendered rimfire tech obsolete in all calibers minus :
tiny small bore disposable target/small game calibers such as :
.22 S/L/LR and .17hmr and .22mag
>>
>>28399568
Between London and Brighton. Every place we go, drunk chavs looking for fights. Oh, and it's dark at like 15:30 each day in the winter, so that starts the drinking and pissing in the streets much earlier.
>>
>>28399606
Well she lives in a shithole then. Your description reminded me of this bloody comedy bit more than anything real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QeBytJmfi0
>>
>>28399620
You must live out on a mud farm in the north. Is your snaggle toothed sister a good kisser?
>>
>>28399626
I have been to a bunch of towns and cities and not seen anything like that. The worst I ever saw was some drunk cricket fans singing loudly on a train. And no, I live near London.

I live near a town infamous for being full of chavs and gypsies but you still don't see drunken fights on the streets. Especially in the day. Most chavs are harmless teenagers who sit around with their friends looking bored.
>>
>>28399657
Cool, then you live in what you've described as a shit hole.

Maybe you're a chav. Still, it's pretty fun that a britbong is here on a weapons board when he can't so much as own a locking knife.
>>
>>28399665
No I don't because I have never seen the absurd stuff you were talking about. It has simply not happened anywhere I have lived or stayed. Bored teenagers and some drunk cricket fans is not the same as constant drunk fights in the middle of the day.

>you don't buy into my delusional fantasy, you might be a chav

Very mature.
>>
>>28399678
You are what they call desensitized.
>>
>>28399694
No, you are just making shit up or your sister lives in an unusual area.

Most English people will never get into a fight after school and most areas do not have drunk people wandering around being violent in broad daylight. I am sorry if that simple fact offends you.
>>
>>28399717
<citation needed>
>>
>>28399518
What if someone made a circular firing pin so it struck the whole rim at once?
>>
>>28399739
This anon is a fucking genius. So simple yet 100% effective.
>>
>>28399731
Says the guy posting stereotypical anecdotes because he has a chip on his shoulder about England, right.
>>
>>28399749
The numbers don't lie. It's a violent country.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/taxonomy/index.html?nscl=Crime+and+Justice
>>
>>28399749
Walked right into that one, didn't you?

>2016
>Another year BritBongs won't learn.
>>
>>28399368
This is the stupidest shit.

Someone's gonna get an engine hoist and bolt it to a van and steal all those unattended weapons caches all over england.
>>
>>28399304
>can't be made much higher pressure than old black powder ammunition due to the thin case walls necessary for rimfire ammunition to work
>forget anything in the .22-30 caliber range due to the lower pressure
>cases easier to damage due to thin case walls
>limited selection for what semi auto actions could be used for that same reason
>rimfire ammunition is expensive to produce, only reason .22lr isn't expensive is because how much of it is made
>rimfire ammunition can't be reloaded
>rimmed ammo generally requires a single stack magazine to feed reliably
I'd honestly rather take a lever action/pump action rifle in a modern caliber than a semi auto with all of those limitations, and if I was an anti gun person with actual knowledge of guns I'd support limiting people to significantly worse performing rimfire ammunition over banning semi auto rifles if I wanted to limit what they could do with rifles.
>>
>>28399304
maybe some kind of necked down 9mm flobert cartridge?
>>
>>28399425
I looked, I don't think so
>>
>>28399797
God damn what a pathetic way for a grown man to act.
>>
>>28400026
They'll have to sort through mountains of trash first before finding a few shitty knives nobody wanted

For the price you'd be better off having an American ship you a gun parts kit hidden in something innocuous
>>
File: Untitled.png (86 KB, 354x179) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
86 KB, 354x179
>>28399797
NOBODY LIKES YOU. FUCK OFF YOUTUBE.COM/NIGGER.
>>
>>28399739
LOOPHOLE
O
O
P
H
O
L
E
>>
>>28399717
>bonging this hard
you blot out the aggravating parts of your surroundings. I'm in S Florida and there is a nigger nigging on every street corner or filthy homeless guy pissing in a bush, but it's part of the scenery. the shit that goes on while you pop in headphones to ignore the drunk soccer fist fight on the train (using the train- kek poorfag chav) is like our resident faggot there says. A civilized country doesn't have a 2000 per 100k violent crime rate.
>>
>>28400125
This, you'd be better with a pump/lever .223 than a 40+ inch rifle that fires rimfire ammo with terminal ballistics performance to 44 mag from a 6"-8" revolver, 15 round mags the same size as 30 round AK mags, and a finicky action.
>>
>>28399447
IIRC that only counts if they are not cartridge loaded.
But i could be wrong.
>>
File: 27rimfire_hilti_funfunfunfun.jpg (120 KB, 1044x894) Image search: [Google]
27rimfire_hilti_funfunfunfun.jpg
120 KB, 1044x894
>>28399304
I am a USAfag so I don't give no shits about other places laws....

~~~~~~~~~

Back when the 17 rimfires came out (17HMR and 17HM2) it was asked on a gun forum "what other rimfire calibers would you like to see?" My suggestion was to make .27 caliber rimfire ammo.

The reason for this choice is simple--the cost of developing the new rimfire casing was most of the startup costs involved with these new calibers,,,, and the machinery to make .27 caliber rimfire shells already exists. [pic related] Hilti makes powder-charge nail guns that already use stubby .25 and .27 rimfire blanks. And why bother with .25 when you can have .27?

They may not be able to just change over to making live ammo, but this means that a large portion of the casing engineering has already been completed.
Kickstarter anyone?
>>
>>28402053
Oh no, nobody likes me. Who will I play with at recess?
>>
>>28402919
Your little willy, while dreaming about having a jewtube channel you can shill on 4chan once mommy buys you that camera
>>
File: 1451677636850.png (590 KB, 725x406) Image search: [Google]
1451677636850.png
590 KB, 725x406
>>28399368
I wonder if it would be possible to get central DNS providers to consider dropping the "o." or just the "o" from "co.uk" so all UK domains would be www.britbong.c.uk or www.britbong.cuk.

I think something like that would be benign enough to get through without detection, but would yield ultimate lulz.
>>
>>28402943
I was pissed at my mom. I told her I wanted a Canon 70d for hanukkah and she got me some chinese knock off that doesn't even have interchangeable lenses.

>Worst hanukkah ever
>>
>>28402723
>What is .17WSM?
>>
>>28403016
She jewed you on your present on a jewish holiday, you should've seen this coming.
>>
>>28403030
cocks & cucks... ahh the UK.
>>
>>28403016
Kek, you're ok
>>
>>28403356
As far as tripfags go
>>
>>28403370
>namefags
>>
>>28403356
I'm going to be giving some shit away in a few days.
>>
>>28399425
I've looked and looked. I can't find them anywhere.

Fuck me and my Classic American tastes. Anything Lever gun just draws me like a moth to a bug zapper.
>>
>>28405408
Lever guns are pretty awesome. You know the Russians are sitting on around 200,000 Model 1895 Winchesters?
>>
>>28406238
No they aren't.
Most were destroyed from neglect. Finland captured a bunch and more were sold to the US as surplus back in the 50's and 60's.
>>
>>28406299
I want to believe.
>>
>>28399518
What about loading a pistol primer on top of the rim fire primer to even out the primer flame front and give it a sure kick. Just drop one in before the powder charge and bullet.
?????Profit?????
>>
>>28399577
how about using a faster primer material like azide from airbags or drop a small primer on top of the normal priming material?
For that matter, double up the primer within limits to provide a more uniform flame front?
>>
How can we prevent bongfags from posting on /k/? Can we ask Hiroshima Nagasaki to ban non-American IPs?
>>
>>28399356
>What is the advantage of rimfire
Nothing at all
>what was/is the disadvantage?
It's a less reliable ignition, and more difficult to manufacture for larger calibers.
>>
Can't fire semi auto? How about a volley?

How about make a 7x7 .22lr matrix of short barrels in a block of steel with rifled inserts from Brownells and call it the Sonic Hedgehog?

Put it on a recoil stick with a hefty spring,
Another large spring to load up and push a plate with 49 rim fire edge pins on it. use a few levers to give mechanical advantage and reduce trigger pull needed.

Surely as lethal as 2 12ga buckshot rounds, with probably the same spread or less. That would deter a small crowd of thugs or intruders.
Why? Because you can and it's a piece to talk about and intimidate.
Yes, 49 rounds a blasting. Bye bye flock of ducks or zombie cats.
>>
>>28399306
/thread
>>
>>28399368
Man, we came a lot closer than you realize. There was a concerted effort to minimize, demonize and override gun culture all through the western world starting in the mid 60's and moving into high gear in the 70's.

The main reason we didn't get steamrolled in the U.S. is because or gun grabbers shot their wad early with the 94 AWB. Without any kind of tragedy to give them the emotional push to get what they really wanted, "Every bullet, every gun, turn hem in, Mr. and Mrs America" they ended up with a watered down bill with a ten year sunset clause.

The Britbong and Aussie pols learned from that. They waited for something horrible to happen then got everything they wanted in one fell swoop.

The Britbongs didn't "roll over". They were subjected to a well thought out and executed plan of action.

And I thank god that our own gun grabbing politicians are drooling retards by comparison.
>>
>>28406667
Why? 12 gauge 3 1/2" 54 pellet #4 buckshot already exists:
http://vizardsgunsandammo.com/win-12-31-2-1150-54-4-5/
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.