[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was going to post in AR general, but they're epeen measuring
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 41jY6yiI+RL.jpg (21 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
41jY6yiI+RL.jpg
21 KB, 500x500
Was going to post in AR general, but they're epeen measuring their 'my ar is better than your ar' arguments.

What are my inexpensive-moderately priced options for magnified optics? I'm thinking a basic 1-4x for an AR carbine.

I do have a fixed front sight, is that going to screw with my scope? I've got a dremel somewhere that could take care of it.
>>
>>28395485
Vortex Viper with turret caps

The front sight will probably be visible at lower magnification, but may not be when zoomed in. You can also mount the scope a little higher to look over the front sight post.

I'd rather replace the barrel, or build a 2nd upper, before I'd dremel a pinned gas block. I did once replace a pinned front sight with a clamp-on gas block, but only because the pins weren't reamed too deep into the barrel. I kept the front sight in the event I ever want to switch back. It's not the best solution, but it's stood up so far. The sheer difficulty of removing the pins was enough to sell me on just building an new upper for my next low profile AR build.
>>
>>28395485
ya. Maybe just leave this upper as a red dot-irons and then get a 1-4 with a flat top instead. Makes sense. maybe go with a longer barrel and free float it too.

what about 3-9's? Anything that's good in the cheaper range for that?
>>
>>28395485
Look into Primary Arms or Vortex. Both will serve you well.
>>
Does anyone make a FFP 1-4x or 1-6x that's not $3k? I know S&B does but I really don't have that kind of money right now.
>>
>>28398403
Bushnell Pcl throwdown
>>
I got a little bit of a different question

How much more cumbersome is the 1-4x variables compared to a red dot for innahome close quarters?
>>
>>28398416
I'd like to know this too.

Also, are there any of these that even come close to the retard proof durability of an Aimpoint or an ACOG? I'd like to throw one on my innawood's AR but I need something that can take a northeastern woodlands beating.
>>
>>28395485
My Nikon M-223 works well, it's held zero and the bullet drop compensator works.
>>
>>28398881
>>28398416
a scope at 1x isn't anymore obtrusive than a red dot (like an aimpoint) if you set it up so the eye relief is correct. Shouldering the rifle should bring the scope to the right distance, then it's just a matter of bringing the reticle to the target. When zoomed, the eye relief shrinks so the positioning of the scope is extra important, but again shouldering the rifle should be all that's needed. Without the unlimited eye relief and fov of a red dot, you do lose the ability to shoot off axis. Scopes still work when the battery dies, but also weight a little more. Which ever you choose, it's a trade off. You either learn to scope well, or check batteries often.

I have always shot tighter groups with a zoomed scope than I did with a red dot, but for close quarters, I'd opt for a red dot.

>>28398881
I don't have disposable income and generally don't make a habit of intentionally abusing my tools, so I cannot speak on this.
>>
>>28398416
I run a Konus 1x4. 1x for indoors and open up to 4x once outdoors. scope has illuminated dot also. can be use like red dot sight indoors.
>>
>>28401621
I have a P223 4x12 on my rifle. at my LGS I was able to place the cross hairs on a pickup truck door handle at 12x. the owner told me the distance to the truck was 300yds.
>>
Vortex Crossfire for ~$200
With the warranty, the scope can "accidentally" fall off a cliff and shatter, and you can send it back for service/replacement.
>>
>>28396286
Vortex Crossfire II
Leupold Mark AR MOD 1
Both have 1-4 and 3-9 options and lifetime guaranee.
>>
>>28395485
I got this Bushnell. It's so-so for optic quality, but at least it was cheap and it's reasonably tough.

http://bushnell.com/tactical/rifle-scopes/ar-optics/1-4x-24mm

I'm saving for something better.
>>
vortex. they also have the single best warranty on the market
>>
do 1-6 or regret it
>>
File: Range4.jpg (3 MB, 3984x2241) Image search: [Google]
Range4.jpg
3 MB, 3984x2241
I'm pretty sure vortex and PA are the preferred premium brand for us poorfags.
I can stand by my Crossfire II 3-9x for sure, got mine for $125, and has yet to lose zero after about 500 rounds of real fuckin NATO. Plus that warranty.

Biggest downside is it's a bit large on top of an AR however.
>>
>>28404570

I really like the PA 1-6.
>>
>>28401818

except that a scope at 1x is almost never actually at 1x, it's false advertising and they do magnify and distort the image. a red dot will be faster on target and more clear and less prone to parralax errors.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.