[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
slugs are shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8
File: 30-06_150GrainCoreLoktChart.jpg (61 KB, 800x580) Image search: [Google]
30-06_150GrainCoreLoktChart.jpg
61 KB, 800x580
Why is this slow, inaccurate, overpriced thing that has like 1200 joules of energy at 100 meters recommended for bear defense?

>have 30-06 rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun
>30-06 bullets are cheaper than slugs
>30-06 bullets have more energy than slugs at the muzzle
>30-06 shoots like a laser at 100 meters
>penetration kills, 12 gauge slugs don't have good penetrating capabilities
>slugs are still recommended by Alaska fish and game for bear defense
>>
File: rifled slug.jpg (121 KB, 1155x1155) Image search: [Google]
rifled slug.jpg
121 KB, 1155x1155
forgot to post a picture of a slug
>>
>>28393227
Because raw tissue destruction is much better at getting wild animals to stop attacking than ripping their guts apart and waiting ten minutes for them to bleed out while they rip you limb from limb.
>>
>>28393227

Accuracy doesn't matter if you're being charged by a bear. You just point and shoot. Aiming would be a waste of precious time.
>>
File: 308-150-sst-gel.jpg (3 MB, 3210x2448) Image search: [Google]
308-150-sst-gel.jpg
3 MB, 3210x2448
>>28393298
For example, this is what a .308 does.
>>
>>28393335
And this is a slug.
>>
>>28393298
>bears are invincible creatures that will tear you apart limb from limb after getting hydrostatic shock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLWPHyHN-JE
5:25

Watch any bear hunting video and you'll see that a high powered rifle puts a bear down almost immediately.

Rifles>>>>>>>shotguns for bear defense.
>>
>>28393365
>comparing a calm stalk where you have all the time in the world to aim and hit vitals to a charging bear scenario where you have maybe four seconds before its on top of you
You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?
>>
>>28393391
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O9ZO7vCOA4
0:35
Look at how that bear charged through gunfire and mauled the hunters to death.
oh wait

A 3x9 scope can be just as fast as a bead sight on a shotgun
>>
>>28393434
>comparing a half dozen hunters actively ready to shoot a bear to some fuck ice fishing
Again, you're a special kind of stupid. They're not saying slugs are ideal for hunting them and getting a clean kill, they're saying slugs are ideal for making it stop RIGHT THE FUCK NOW because anything but a glancing shot is going to be destroying limbs or turning its insides into pate.
>>
600gr w/ 3000ft*lb of energy is pretty goddamn impressive. There's more than kinetic energy at play too; momentum is an important thing to factor in.

You shouldn't care about the KE at 100m; it's the sub-30m performance that matters.
>>
>>28393434
wtf
why did they shoot that poor bear
doing nothing
it just wanted to play
>>
File: 1451575753033.jpg (384 KB, 900x1252) Image search: [Google]
1451575753033.jpg
384 KB, 900x1252
>>28393935
>tfw bretty OK with hunting in general
>tfw really uneasy about killing bears

Iunno mane.
>>
Because slug can break the dense bear bones and stop it in it's tracks
>>
File: 2400d5_3186440.jpg (143 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
2400d5_3186440.jpg
143 KB, 1280x800
>>
I always thought slugs were more or less for people who...
1) own a shotgun but no rifle
2) for fun
3) SHTF scenarios, if you run out of rifle rounds.

Also, why hunt bears? Its like hunting wolves, its more sad than anything.
>>
>>28394878
Slugs are also for states where there are strict rules on rifles for hunting.

There's a difference between hunting bears and defending yourself against one.

Having said that, there's an issue with black bear overpopulation here, so the cheapest tags you can get are for them.
>>
>>28393227

>bear defense
>accuracy at 100m

what do you have to worry about, it's clear you've never seen a bear in the wild
>>
>>28394980
I'm sure he's seen tons of pictures of them on the computer in his mom's basement.
>>
>>28394213
> 7 as over 9000
been a while...
>>
>>28393434
Never does he mention what was used to kill the bear, and even if it does turn out to be a 30-06, all the video proves is that bears die rather quickly when there is a group of people magdumping into them.
>>
>>28393227
>meters
>joules
>bear defense at 100 meters

lol
>>
>>28393935
he loved to eat fish
he was turning his life around
rassis notbear hunters
we need more money for dem programs
>>
>>28393298
>while they rip you limb from limb
they don't really do that, anon. If you want to listen to it, there's an audio file of a girl that talked to her mom for like an hour while bears ate her alive.
>>
>>28393335
>>28393345

Wow anon, it looks like the slug is more devastating over greater area
>>
>>28397770
What the fuck?
>>
>>28397770
I looked it up. Fuck bears. I live in Oklahoma so the chances of me seeing a bear is nil but if I ever do, that fucker is going down.
>>
>>28393298
This. Every hunter explains experiences with lighter, faster rounds this way. And it makes sense.
>>28393227

Friend worked through Alaska fish and wildlife once. I think he carried a .300 Winchester magnum in their jeep or whatever the drive? That was what they gave him, so obviously they agree with you anyway.

OP, either will work. The slugs are only intended for 40-50 yards anyway, so what's your point?
>>
>>28397995
>had never seen grizzly man

You should. It's not a quick or pleasant death. The footage lasts like 15 minutes of a dude and his gf getting mauled and eaten by a huge grizzly. You don't see it, but it's still pretty fucked.

Bears aren't exactly efficient killers, you know. They don't have to be.
Spoiler: 1 person a year dies to a bear, and it's usually a polar bear. Black and brown are big ass scared bitches, although black bears are pests as well.

>>28398063
I live in OK, and I've encountered two black bears in this state. And one mountain lion. It was way smaller than I imagined lol. People getting scared of predators are a joke. Guns are a last ditch sort of thing as far as bears or other predators go, and imo bears aren't even the most dangerous of game. Buffalo (bison but whatever) are what scare me. A rogue male was killing and goring campers one year. He pinned my troop leader's wife and grandson in a latrine for like 12 hours.

I think the person at that park charged with killing it insists that flat shooting, lightweight calibers were the best for bison. I think he took it with a .270 Winchester short magnum? One shot to the skull. But if I had to stop a charging one, I'd want a .45-70 or something
>>
>>28398177
Oh and I meant to add that the lighter calibers and head hits would completely ruin it as a trophy kill, although in this case it would be poaching since it's a state park. The .270 would literally blow their head off.

I think you want big bores for actual game hunting, rather than killing it as a hazardous animal in this guy's case.
>>
>>28397169
Yes because footpounds and feet or some shit works better than the glorious metric system.

Stay retarded 'murica
>>
File: DSCN7786.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSCN7786.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>slugs are still recommended by Alaska fish and game for bear defense
AAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!
>>
>>28398177
For every cougar you see innawoods you've missed at least four that have stalked you for miles. Unless you're playing pattycake with a cub or you've stomping through dens in the spring black bears shit themselves seeing you.

>.270 win short mag
Jim Corbett did a pretty good job using .275 rigby on tigers so probably plausible but could be a bit weak depending on bullet grain and placement. Skull density is no joke.
>>
>>28398209
I'm canadian, was raised in metrique, and you're retarded. Base 12 > base 10, imperial is better.
>>
>>28398262
what's the MINIMUM you'd feel safe for use against burrs, Alas/k/abro?

maybe 10mm?
>>
>>28398453
not for everyday, practical use

source: I'm a carpenter's assistant who's bad at math and my life would be massively easier with the metric system
>>
File: 14313.jpg (29 KB, 479x400) Image search: [Google]
14313.jpg
29 KB, 479x400
>>28398463
this son of a bitch
>>
>>28393227
>slugs suck
No shit, snails are where it's at.
>>
>>28398447
or if you got shit luck and happen across a starving bear that's also down on it's luck until a giant walking meat bag in wool, cotton, and polyester comes strolling into view.
>>
>>28394094
me too bro
>>
>>28398515
>starving angry burr
Tends to be the case when they're coming off hibernation in the spring. If yore dumb enough to continue stomping around their ground after warning woofs then you deserve being a plaid chewtoy.
>>
>>28398204
Yeah a .270WSM is definitely not going to be "blowing the head off" of a buffalo. Nor is anything in that class of rounds for that matter. Bovines have skulls that are thick, strong and attached to a muscular neck by a tendon the size of a tow rope.

The head of a bovine is also constructed much differently than that of a primate. They have a much larger sinus cavity and smaller cranial cavity relative to us so that image you have of a bullet going through a watermelon doesn't apply here. "Blowing their head off" is really all but impossible to do with just about any standard rifle, handgun, or shotgun round.

Source: I've put down beef with everything from drugs to captive bolts and .22LR to .300Win mag and everything in between.
>>
Just have a look at what they use in Africa for big game hunting and self defense for photo safaries. It's things like .375 h&h magnum and similar cartridges.
>>
>>28393365
I can't stand "sport" hunters...they better eat that bear meat and wear those fur coats.
>>
>>28397095
>>comparing a half dozen hunters actively ready to shoot a bear to some fuck ice fishing
>Again, you're a special kind of stupid. They're not saying slugs are ideal for hunting them and getting a clean kill, they're saying slugs are ideal for making it stop RIGHT THE FUCK NOW because anything but a glancing shot is going to be destroying limbs or turning its insides into pate.

You can actually see one of the shooters holding a semi-auto shotgun. Dat foregrip.
>>
>>28398658
Okay, "figuratively" blew it's head off. The top of its skull, and a good deal of brain matter, were missing, and I think the exit wound was its eye?

It was a "clean" kill, but brutal. Sorry for the exaggeration.
>>
>>28398177
Small, lightweight calibers are great because of sectional density which means they penetrate further.
Legend has it that 6.5x54 could penetrate 24 inches of oak and legendary elephant hunter wdm bell killed 300 out of 1500 elephants with the 6.5x54 only switching to .275 rigby because of problems sourcing reliable ammunition.
>>
>>28398702
I'm supporting your side, dipshit.
>>
Because penetration is way over hyped lately for a some reason.

Don't get me wrong, it's important, but it's a SINGLE wounding factor.

If two different rounds both have adequate penetration, the bigger round is usually the better choice.
>>
Best weapon for bear defence is the one your holding.
>>
>>28398463
>maybe 10mm?
Yes
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.