[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does the Thunderchief deserve its bad reputation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
Does the Thunderchief deserve its bad reputation?
>>
>>28388716
Nah. It just came in at a transition period where there were little tactics to deal with SAMs. At its role as a bomber it actually did quite well and excelled at what it was made for.
>>
>>28388716
It was designed to carry a single nuclear bomb in an internal payload. Its a cool idea.
>>
I wasn't aware it had a bad reputation, since the museum where I saw one had an old pilot who was pretty fond of the craft.

>>28388748
This sounds about right judging by the years of service.
>>
>>28388797

>I wasn't aware it had a bad reputation

I've seen people refer to the F-35 as "the New F-105" with a negative connotation.
>>
>>28388820
Why are you listening to chinkposters in the first place?
>>
>>28388828

Because they came armed, with sources:

http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/apj/apj98/spr98/werrell.html
>>
>>28388769

>It was designed to carry a single nuclear bomb in an internal payload.

Why internal?

Radar-Stealth wasn't germane during that time period.
>>
>>28388828
Because they are not burgerclappers
>>
>>28388883

whatever puts rice in the cracked ceramic bowl, chang
>>
File: 1447792527136.gif (4 MB, 518x333) Image search: [Google]
1447792527136.gif
4 MB, 518x333
>>28388961
Kek.
>>
>>28388865
At a guess because nukes were still fairly chunky things at that time, and having to carry one externally would compromise any attempt at high speeds.
>>
>>28388716
FUCKING SHIT AIR INLETS
>>
File: F-105_5.jpg (238 KB, 1024x677) Image search: [Google]
F-105_5.jpg
238 KB, 1024x677
>>28388865

>Why internal?

It was a fuel-guzzler in afterburner anyways and needed a clean configuration. It was meant to sneak across the West/East German border really fast at low altitude and attack the expected Soviet Zerg Rush full of BMPs, T-62s, and MT-LBs.
>>
Chad thunderchief
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.