[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best range/plinking ammo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: image.png (447 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
447 KB, 640x1136
So, I know that the cheap steel cased ammo is obviously inferior to other FMJ. But is there any difference between, say, WWB or Remington UMC? How about slavshit brands like Prvi partisan or S&B? Is academy's monarch brand decent? I shot it once, and it was kind of dirty and a few fte's, but I had nothing to compare it to.

Is the extra money worth it for the big name brands? Or should I just get what's cheap, and save the hand-picking for the defense ammo?

Pic related. I understand TMJ will be a bit cleaner, but is it worth the extra 5-6 bucks a box?
>>
>>28379715
Tulammo comrade.
>>
>>28379720
I don't trust steel cased ammo in anything but milsurp (as that's what it is designed for).

We're talking about using a high quality firearm, and you want to preserve the barrel life as long as possible.
>>
File: 1447836583204.jpg (106 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1447836583204.jpg
106 KB, 1000x1000
>>28379715
>But is there any difference between, say, WWB or Remington UMC?

They're nearly identical. Being shit that is.

Get lawman, blazer brass, and or geco. It really doesn't matter but these are miles fucking better than perfecta/umc/wwb or whatever bullshit you see laying around wally world.

Also they're cheaper if you know where to look.
>>
File: 1426617398320.jpg (77 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1426617398320.jpg
77 KB, 512x512
>>28379730
>We're talking about using a high quality firearm, and you want to preserve the barrel life as long as possible.

And if your gun can't reliably cycle steel case, chances are it's if the ammo is underpowered which isn't unusual or it's just that your gun isn't worth a fuck.

>preserve the barrel life as long as possible.

My god, I love this meme. You will NEVER and I mean fucking EVER shoot so many rounds through a gun let alone its barrel that you will ever come across such effects. And fuck me say you do, with the savings you could buy a new barrel and even a gun.

That being said, I don't shoot steel case because I can find brass ammo just as cheap and it isn't as dirty as steel case. Now, pull out that stupid ass luckygunner link about steel vs brass, I previously stated I love this meme and when I say I do, I mean it. I <3 this meme.
>>
>>28379715
Prvi Partizan is relatively cheap, but in my experience they don't take resizing nearly as well as American brass, the box I had only was able to reload twice before many started cracking and had a few head case separations.
>>
>>28379715
For those who didn't know Prvi Partisan is who makes Academy's house brand Monarch. Like wise, S&B is who makes Cabelas Herterz brand in the brass case. I'm not sure about the steel case of all of those brands though. When it comes to plinking I stick to Prvi, it is not nearly as dirty as Wolf or Tula, and flies well in my weapons.
>>
>>28379730
>okay to shoot steel through surplus
>not okay through modern firearms
>worried about barrel life
You realize it will degrade the surplus barrel the same if not even more than a modern barrel, right? Which would be easier to replace? Your logic makes no fucking sense, especially when no normal person is going to shoot enough steel cased ammo to ruin their barrel in a short amount of time.
>>
>>28379715
1. Unless it's on sale, why the fuck are you buying ammo from Cabela's?

2. I've found UMC to be underpowered more often than WWB. However, if you're shooting 9mm, full-power Winchester NATO is usually the same price as WWB.

3. S&B is typically good. Also, Herter's Select, which is made by S&B, is warmer than Blazer.

Here: www.ballistics101.com/

Go to the Handgun Ballistics dropdown menu and pick your caliber. They don't list all the ammo in the world, but they do list quite a damn few different loadings from different manufacturers.

Then, go to motherfucking AMMOSEEK and find the cheapest price on whatever you've found on ballistics101 to be good enough for your purposes.

Blazer Brass, Win NATO, S&B, Fiocchi, Herter's Select (not the regular stuff), Geco -- I'm looking a pile of ammo right now of all those brands, 9mm, 50/box, and I paid no more than $10.50 for any one box.
>>
How many rounds does it even take to wear down a modern hand gun?

I've heard of people putting over 20k through Glocks and it still functioning like new
>>
>>28380017
Depends on the gun. A 9mm or .45 Glock barrel on average should maintain acceptable accuracy to 50,000 rounds or more. Beretta M9 barrels are rated to 20,000 rounds.

High velocity calibers wear barrels out faster than lower velocity calibers, all else being equal. For example, the longevity of a 9mm barrel will be significantly longer than a .357 Sig barrel despite having the same bore diameter. .45 ACP is pretty gentle on barrels (because it's slow as shit).

Revolvers are a little different due to the cylinder gap and a phenomenon called "flame cutting".
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.