[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fire Damage Restoration
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
So /k/, I come to you once again for help.

My buddy had a garage fire, and in it he lost a Mak-90, a M1 Garand, and a browning hi-power.
The m1 and the hi power were complete losses

But the Mak-90, that's where I need help. It burned, but the primary damage is the retardant used by the FD extinguishing the fire, and the furniture is gone.
The internals seem O K, but I haven't looked at it much.
It had a thumb hole stock, as I've heard that makes some relevance with 922(r) and how the stock fits the receiver.
I apologize for my ignorance surrounding this rifle.

I should have images soon, but tonite I do not.
Have anyone has experience here?

I hope to restore this gun. Is there any hope?

Thanks in advance

>pic not related
>>
>>28376622
Also, I did post this in AKG, and QTDDTOT with basically no response.

If I can get this gun up and running again, I will include glorious images for all of /k/ to enjoy. This is my first attempt, and I have no idea of the potential outcome
>>
it depends on if the fire fucked with the temper of the metal
Everyone told you to go to a gunsmith in both of those threads and you ignored them
do you expect the response to be different this time?
>>
>>28376666
Satan speaks the truth. Go to a gunsmith, this kind of stuff is beyond DIY. Dem quads doe
>>
>>28376666
Well super Satan, I saw one reply saying that and I replied back.

I'm also hoping to get input from others who may have done a similar process

>I don't want to go to a smith

I'm not gonna fire it unless it's with a jig and a long ass string.
>>
>>28376683
just go to a gunsmith, faggot.
>>
File: 1439915637754.jpg (152 KB, 854x1280) Image search: [Google]
1439915637754.jpg
152 KB, 854x1280
>>28376632
>I did post this in AKG

Where's the pictures, GC?
You said you'd have pics, and without them how is one to know what to do to "restore" said rifle?

Personally, if it was mine that survived a fire, I'd just clean it enough to make it functional, and get a new set of furniture.
It went through a baptism of fire, and earned it's stripes so to speak.
Do you know if it's a slant back or square back receiver?

You could go full Somali pirate and get a tattered old sling and some beat to shit mags.
>pic related

As far as "getting it up and running" I'd bet money it still shoots.
>>
>>28376740
I know, I'm sorry.

I do mention that most of the damage seemed to be from the gunky shit used to stop the fire, but I can assume the poor fuck baked in there for quite some time. The thing that gives me hope is he told me the springs and such still seem to move, but idk which are inside the gun.
I figure I'll fuck with it and see what i can do

From what I can see none of the metal was warped or anything

As for going Somali pirate, if the thing shoots I'm gonna buy some furniture and mags for my buddy.
>>
>>28376782
>>28376740 here

To all those saying "Just go to a gunsmith"
The average gunsmith doesn't have the equipment to test metal hardness.
Even so I doubt that a house/garage fire could burn hot enough to change the metallurgy of even a receiver.

That said, I would do some preliminary testing from a safe distance.
Just give a diesel bath with a copper or brash brush to get the crud off, and test it out.
If it shoots and the receiver doesn't crack, it'll be fine.

It'd be neat to get a nice set of new furniture for a fire survivor rifle too.
Maybe something like a torched tiger stripe set.
>>
>>28377055
I'm gonna research the diesel bath and see.

If she lives, ill give her a name and post her everywhere
>>
>>28377217
>I'm gonna research the diesel bath and see.
Fair enough, if it can remove decades old cosmoline I'm sure whatever they used will wash away easily.
Also see if you can contact the fire department and see what kind of suppressant the use.
Might give you (and us) a better idea on how to remove it.

Also get us some pics.
/akg/ is the place and I'll try to help as best I can over the net.

>ill give her a name
>everything changed when the fire nation attacked.png
>>
>>28377275
I appreciate the help anon. Thanks a ton
>>
>>28376622
sounds like fun
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.