[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Minimalist Family Defense Weapon Set?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7
File: home-defense-firearm-set.jpg (203 KB, 682x400) Image search: [Google]
home-defense-firearm-set.jpg
203 KB, 682x400
What would you consider the minimal set of firearms sufficient to protect the family of two at home, at work and on the road? I'm thinking of two compact hangunds for CC, and one full size hand gun with a big magazine for home defense. Been told that it would be a nice idea to get a shotgun, but ran out of time for the conversation and still trying to figure out how it would be superior to a full size handgun - any comments?

And, what things other than handguns will be useful for protection? Obvious choices would be knives and flashlights, anything else?
>>
>>28371163
Make the handguns compact revolvers if you're first-time gun owners. I recommend the Ruger LCR.

Substitute a shotgun for the full size handgun.

Tasers, knives, and bludgeons all suck. Get big fat pepper foggers and carry them on your belt, not in your pocket.
>>
>>28371163
Glock 19
Remington 870 or Mossberg 590
Ruger American in .308
S&W M&P 15t AR
>>
>>28371214
>Substitute a shotgun for the full size handgun
The question stands, why? Wouldn't it be more difficult to navigate the house looking for the intruder with the shotgun at ready instead of the handgun at ready? Do you fire from the hip in this case?
>>
File: Ellifritz_Incapacitation.png (35 KB, 500x319) Image search: [Google]
Ellifritz_Incapacitation.png
35 KB, 500x319
1 small pistol for CC.

1 rifle or shotgun for HD. Preferably a rifle but shotguns are much cheaper if you can't afford a rifle. For a rifle I'd say anything in 5.56, whatever you can afford, maybe an AR or AK, or a Saiga Sporter if you live in a ban state.

Rifles and shotguns are more effective for pistols so if you can, use one.
>>
>And, what things other than handguns will be useful for protection? Obvious choices would be knives and flashlights, anything else?
forgot about this part- pepper spray. You can carry a small one in your pocket for jackasses that you can't/shouldn't shoot, and a big can in the car for road ragers.
>>
A shotgun would be preferable to a handgun due to the fact that 1 shot from a shotgun is significantly more likely to put someone down than 1 shot from a handgun and also easier to operate. Some would argue that rifles are better than shotguns but if you live in an apartment or any living situation where you are really close to your neighbors overpenatration can become a concern.
>>
>>28371163
.22, 9mm, 12ga, 5.56
>>
File: Joe-Biden.jpg (70 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
Joe-Biden.jpg
70 KB, 900x675
>>
>>28372220
What's .22 for? Of course, it's good for assassinations, but I'd doubt it'll be stop meth fueled assholes that may be the problem you're facing.
>>
File: Our_Lord.jpg (49 KB, 350x323) Image search: [Google]
Our_Lord.jpg
49 KB, 350x323
>>28371163
YOUR PIC LOOKS LIKE HERESY FAG.
>>
>gun
>flashlight
>cellphone to call police
>???

Home defense isn't that difficult you know, you don't need to make it more complicated than it is
>>
>>28371163
Mossburg 500/590, 8 shot pump gun for primary home defense.
Steel frame Jericho in 9mm. USP.45 if you can afford it for full sized home defense.
Palmetto Armory premium AR15 kit plus a blemished lower. Every American should own one.
Sig p938, S&W 642, or a Glock 42 for concealed backup.

M1A for extra credit, or a high caliber rifle you can hunt with, preferably 7.62 NATO and .308.
>>
>>28373456
Speaking of .45... heard a story recently that if you kill someone breaking into your home with a .45, you will be charged with Murder One, because "if you were buying a .45, you were planning to kill". Seems a bit fishy to me, and I can't find independent confirmation. Anyone?
>>
>>28373922
Correction: in Maryland.
>>
>>28373922
How old are you?
>>
File: Cringe.gif (981 KB, 300x192) Image search: [Google]
Cringe.gif
981 KB, 300x192
>>28373922
Did your friend tell you this during second period or at lunch?
>>
>>28373922
hahahahah
>>
>>28373922
yeah if you shoot someone with anything bigger then a .22 its preemptive murder. even in a self defense situation.
>>
File: necessity of castle doctrine.jpg (146 KB, 1280x623) Image search: [Google]
necessity of castle doctrine.jpg
146 KB, 1280x623
>>28373405
>home defense isn't that difficult
>>
File: Ohshitniggerwhatareyoudoing.gif (393 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Ohshitniggerwhatareyoudoing.gif
393 KB, 640x360
>>28373922
>>
>>28374536
Doesn't matter. Not gullible, if you're implying that. With what I do for living, I check every stupid fact I'm told, because some of them turn out to be not that stupid. Also, read the correction - the statement was made specifically about Maryland. Some states/cities have some pretty stupid laws that don't make any sense (NY, Chicago and CA to mention a few).
>>
>>28371163

CCW/defense outside the home:

For guns, I suggest S&W M&P Shield, Glock 43, Walther PPS, Springfield XDS (all in 9mm). Pick whichever one suits your budget. Though I personally like to carry something bigger (Glock 19), I think one of those guns is a smart choice for the novice. They'll allow for CCW without significant wardrobe changes for most people. Thus, more likely to be carried. Furthermore, they're big enough for good shooting to be done, soft enough recoil to be tolerable for practice, and have enough ammo on board for the average defensive encounter. They're all fairly inexpensive.

Pepper spray is a good choice for self-defense as well. Not every problem is a shooting problem. Sabre Red makes good stuff.

If you choose a knife, I think a small fixed blade is one of the better options for carry. I use and like the Clinch Pick. If a small fixed blade isn't possible (legal), I think a Spyderco Endura Wave is a sound, budget-friendly choice (I prefer to reverse the pocket clip -- gives me a reverse grip on the draw).

Throw some basic unarmed skills in as well if you can afford to train (I like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, but some form of MMA or even boxing would also work).

---

HD:

For shotguns, I prefer the Mossberg 500/590 over the 870. Semi-autos are cool if you've got the funds, but be aware that they can be finicky when it comes to cycling some loads. Load it with buckshot. I prefer the shorter 4/5 shot tubes over the 8-shots for weight and pointability. Get a stock that fits you (Magpul SGA).

I think a mid- or full-size pistol in 9mm or .45 is also a good option. My preference is the Glock 19 (works for CCW too), but so long as it's a gun from a reputable manufacturer (Glock, SIG, HK, Walther, S&W, etc.) and a model that's been around for a while (good track record), pick the one you shoot best.

Flashlights, preferably weapon-mounted, are a good idea here. Surefire, Streamlight, and Inforce all make good ones.
>>
>>28373922
total BS
>>
>>28374536
Age has nothing to do with it, this sounds like exactly the kind of thing some dopey old fudds I know would say
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.