[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yry 2LnaNeXc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9
File: 6933.jpg (360 KB, 900x570) Image search: [Google]
6933.jpg
360 KB, 900x570
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yry2LnaNeXc
>>
Dear god, that howl.

>this will never be heard again
>the people who heard it IRL will never hear anything again
>because they now have crippling tinitus
>>
Wasn't its final flight earlier this year? Or was it last year?
>>
File: 1450217794252.jpg (17 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1450217794252.jpg
17 KB, 184x184
hnnng
>>
>>28368735
A few months ago yea.

I missed it.
>>
>>28368500
Britain.

Beg the US to get in on the their new bomber program.

We need something to tell Argentina to fuck off and put Germany in their proper place again.
>>
>>28368720

there will always be RC jet replicas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeL3LhrmeME
>>
>>28370698

>guns get banned

>at least we have airsoft
>>
>>28368500
that nuclear winter capability...

Gave me goosebumps.
>>
>>28368808
I concur. Britain ain't Britain without Bomber Command.
>>
>>28370725

Funny you should mention that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTScNHvVbyc

How long until mounting toy guns on RC aircraft is banned?
>>
>>28368720
>this will never be heard again

Did they destroy all Vulcans? Don't tell me no one didn't keep at least one to fly it at airshows or something
>>
File: xh558 at gaydon.png (1 MB, 1332x698) Image search: [Google]
xh558 at gaydon.png
1 MB, 1332x698
>>28370855
Not quite true that you can't hear a Vulcan power up, XH-558 is going to join 2 other surviving aircraft in being kept in a taxiable condition, so will be able to run up and down the runway pulling wheelies.
XH-558 was the last one flying, and is now grounded as a result of: next to no flying hours left on the airframe, next to no hours left on engines, and various other miscellaneous parts that are now life-expired and cannot be sourced. IIRC after the final flights the operating trust said they have around 15 minutes flying time left, either on engine life or airframe life (can't recall which it was offhand).
Getting one flying again now would mean building a new aircraft from scratch (for which no tooling exists) as well as new engines, since none useful have flying life.
>>
>>28368778
Source.
>>
>>28371195
nĂ¼ fag lurk moar
>>
>>28371226
and fuck off to a weeb board
>>
>>28371184

And what happens if you fly them after they've expired? Constant risk of blowing up in the air?
>>
>>28368500
the airframe profile
The engines integrated into the wings
dat engine sound

How come we dont make sexy bombers anymore? We have sleek ones, no question... But theres nothing sexy about them.

Same with fighers. The F-14, and even F18 had sex appeal. Every since the F16 though, shits just gotten too sleek.
>>
>>28371403

I think the su-27 family is pretty sexy
>>
File: yes, looking up at the top.png (2 MB, 1326x696) Image search: [Google]
yes, looking up at the top.png
2 MB, 1326x696
>>28371290
Not really, the limits on life in the UK are somewhat conservative, in practical terms if XH-558 had been taken to somewhere like the US that has rather less onerous rules she could likely have flown on for some time more before becoming genuinely hazardous. However to continue flying in the UK required approval from a group of 3 companies that provided technical support, and signed off on all of that legally. They said some time ago that no further extensions to flying hours would be granted beyond this year, and without that technical approval no permit to fly would be granted. As well as continually running out of components which haven't been manufactured for decades a major problem was that as the last flying example, and having flown considerably more hours than any other Vulcan ever did there was nothing to use a reference point for just how far components could be pushed.
When things get the stage of being seriously too worn out to operate is when we'll see an end to the fast taxiing, which will happen sooner or later, most likely with engines unless someone screws up real bad.
>>
>>28371493

Oh so the problem is that it's no longer legal to fly them?

why did the companies refuse to sign? So they wouldn't be liable if something went wrong and the plane or human lives were destroyed?
>>
>>28371195
Don't have sauce friend sorry

>>28371232
Fuck off to reddit you piece of shit
>>
Had the privilege of seeing it fly at RAF Boddington, highlight of the airshow. Didn't get to see the whole display though, my friend needed to leave so I caught glimpses of the last half from the car park.
>>
>>28371403
I don't know, as far as western fighters go the gripen is pretty sexy
>>
File: FLYGVAPNETJAS-39CGRIPEN02.jpg (69 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
FLYGVAPNETJAS-39CGRIPEN02.jpg
69 KB, 1024x576
>>28371674
>>
>>28371563
>So they wouldn't be liable if something went wrong and the plane or human lives were destroyed?
That, and also to protect reputations. Expensive lawyers can deal with legal fallout if something had gone wrong, but can't help with the loss of face in that situation. Considering it was a relatively high effort project with little to no direct financial return, I can't really blame anyone for taking a highly conservative position, no matter how much I'd like to see her still flying.

>>28371620
That sucks, I was lucky enough to catch a thread on here a few weeks ahead of the final display flight and got up to Gaydon for the last show display, and again got a brief sight on the southern farewell tour when she came and did a couple of passes over Bristol/Filton.
>>
File: tumblr_n6ljjbN6Nk1txx6x7o3_1280.jpg (114 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n6ljjbN6Nk1txx6x7o3_1280.jpg
114 KB, 1024x682
>>28371695
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.