[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So since we have Laser which are small enough to put onto a humvee
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10
File: laser.jpg (227 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
laser.jpg
227 KB, 640x360
So since we have Laser which are small enough to put onto a humvee and are strong enough to melt steel, were they used against humans yet?

If so are there any videos/pictures of the damage it has done? I personally hope that i will never be in a war were Laserweapons are used.
>>
>>28358739
why do you speak as if lasers are more terrible than bullets? bullets r worse than lasers.

lasers cauterize, bullets cause mass bleeding and trauma.

if anything lasers could be considered to be the more humane form of mass slaughter.
>>
File: computer.gif (973 KB, 301x300) Image search: [Google]
computer.gif
973 KB, 301x300
>mfw I might own a laser gun in my lifetime
>>
>>28358792
>getting Laser in face but not long enough to be killed
>being behind cover, get laser on cloth, cloth burns furiously and you are behind cover.

I don't know man, i'd rather get shot than burned alive.
>>
>>28358792
>bullets r worse

Shouldn't you be doing your homework?
>>
>>28358817

does that mean we can have lasguns?
>>
>>28358792
>infinite accuracy, provided it is zeroed
>985,000,000 feet per second muzzle velocity

Od prefer having the average grunt fire a bullet at me at 300 meters compared to a lazer.

>mfw comparing light speed to 5.56 muzzle velocity os the closet Ive come to comprehending light speed
>>
File: lockmart laser test.jpg (30 KB, 635x357) Image search: [Google]
lockmart laser test.jpg
30 KB, 635x357
>>28358739
Modern ~100kw range lasers burn holes through steel over a couple seconds.
>>
File: i4ecsdtx4pevb98gu4x1.gif (2 MB, 636x288) Image search: [Google]
i4ecsdtx4pevb98gu4x1.gif
2 MB, 636x288
>>28358739

Lasers are weird, and humans are really, really bad targets for them.

Human tissue is pretty much greasy water. Hitting it with a laser transfers energy to the surface layers but a HEL heats that surface up and you end up with carbonized crap and a lot of vapor. Vapor disperses energy very effectively, and even worse human tissue is semi-transparent to many of the wavelengths that HEL operate in, meaning the energy is dispersed though the tissue.

So you need a very, very powerful laser to use on humans. For much less energy you could hit them with a small bit of fast moving metal.

That's skin. Eyes are easily damaged by lasers, but polarized glasses can provide protection and there are treaty obligations that makes using them as blinding weapons hard.

What are lasers good for then? They can be really, really accurate. This makes them ideal for area anti-missile systems and disabling things without harming things around them.
>>
There were reports of giant microwave guns, mounted on humvees or similar being used in iraq back in 2005 or some shit.

Supposedly they would shrink the bodies of the people shot with them. making a pile burnt bodies that look like goldeneye on DK mode
>>
>>28358866
>bringing up muzzle velocity ofnlasers and bullets
>implying you can dodge bullets easier than lasers

YOULL COWARD
>>
>>28358883

>not megawatts

Son I am disappoint
>>
>>28358899
dude blue board
>>
>>28358908
Fiber lasers scale up to about 300-500kw easily.

For full multimegawatt power, you probably need an FEL.

MW lasers would be cool tho. Imagine a pair of X47s racetracking over the skies of NK, knocking down S400s at the speed of light.
>>
>>28358923
sorry accident
>>
>>28358908

>neither gigawatts, nor jiggawatts, nor niggawatts

srsly anon
>>
>>28358902
>implying im dodging a bullet

it means at a great distance, travel time is not a factor. neither is wind resistance, the rotation of the Earth, or other sniper elite meme type things.
If the average grunt can see you, you are dead as fuck
>>
>>28358739
I wonder when we'll start resolving target coordinates and calculating reflection marks for Laser artillery.
>>
>>28358908
A continuous megawatt class laser is a monster, with an equally monstrous cooling and power requirement. Don't expect to see them on anything except naval point defenses in your lifetime. You'd only really need them to kill several missiles quickly, when you don't have the time for a kilowatt class laser to work.

>>28358899
I'm pretty sure that's the wrong picture.

Microwave area denial systems don't shrink anyone or, indeed, kill them. the radio waves are absorbed by the surface skin and create a sensation of extreme pain but won't cause damage unless a person spends a long time in the area. Anyone not trapped in the area will, you know, leave long before they will suffer lasting damage because of the pain.
>>
>>28358884
Imagine if we were to use something like HMMWV mounted lasers on high-profile targets at long ranges, though. You think ISIS goat-fuckers would want to fight for Allah still when they see their leader's faces melt off in front of them? Kind of like the plot in Apocalypse Now; war would become too horrifying for them to fight in.
>>
>>28358942
at a great enough distance to where you could actually, potentially, have a miniscule chance at dodgeing a bullet, you wouldnt even know you were being shot at
>>
>>28358991
People don't melt.

Hit with a kilowatt class laser..

A person's hair would catch fire, includeing eyebrows, eyelashes, beard, ect.

Skin would redden and blister.

Instant blindness, if the eyes are exposed.

Then they'd drop to the ground screaming. You'd have trouble keeping the laser on one point long enough to kill them, but they'd be an unhappy camper.
>>
File: 1451325017852.jpg (48 KB, 469x505) Image search: [Google]
1451325017852.jpg
48 KB, 469x505
>>28358969
the systems that are publicly acknowledged are area denial systems.

I am not talking about those. I am talking about higher wattage equipment. Not some toy for the militarized police to toast hippies with.

>There were other inexplicable aspects. The terrain where the battle took place was dug up by the American military and replaced with other fresh earth. The bodies that were not hit by projectiles had shrunk to just slightly more than one meter in height.

sauce

http://www.democracynow.org/2006/7/25/u_s_broadcast_exclusive_star_wars
>>
>>28358999
At 500 meters or so it takes about three-fourths of a second for a rifle round to reach someone. It's technically possible to dodge that, but you'd have to spot the muzzle flash because it takes about a second and a half for sound to travel 500 meters.
>>
File: 5869869.png (144 KB, 350x200) Image search: [Google]
5869869.png
144 KB, 350x200
>>28358999
Imagine a Big Dog with a staring thermal array, networked to other big dog drones.

One sees the muzzle flash and radios ahead to the target who is 2km away from the sniper. It casually steps out of the way and instantly pulses 30kw through its lidar dome, right down the sniper's scope, frying his retinas before the bullet is halfway downrange.

Combat at the speed of light.
>>
>>28358828

>being behind cover, get bullet on cloth, cloth penetrated furiously

How does the fucking laser gets BEHIND your cover ?
>>
>>28358969

Yeah, microwave ADS would still be fun for civilian applications if they were small enough to be man portable.

> have shitty, sloppy, slovenly alcoholic in family
> tell him that you put a voodoo hex on him that will burn him with hellfire if he ever buys alcohol again
> follow him around with a microwave system
> the first time he hits a liquor store, put the beam right on his balls

Also, they'd be fucking nifty for keeping niggers from fucking things up.

> flash mob forms in your store
> get behind barrier, hit microwave switch
> watch the darkies run around panicking
>>
>>28359041
Holy shit someone made a manlet ray.
>>
>>28359127
This has to be the work of an eternally butthurt manlet wanting to bring everyone down to his height.
>>
>>28359095
Iam sorry that iam such a dumbass, i meant that you just raised from your cover, get burned from the laser and fall behind cover again.
>>
>>28359127
Now they will learn.
>>
>>28358817
Haha
>>
>>28359083
>headless dog robots
now ive seen it all lol
>>
File: 1446911959653.jpg (8 KB, 281x179) Image search: [Google]
1446911959653.jpg
8 KB, 281x179
>>28359061
good information, but the real question is, ARE YOO FAST ENUFF??
>>
>>28359041

> Democracy Now
> reporting a story from Iraqis
> believing it

I shiggity diggity do, neighbor.
>>
>>28359095
something something maser / non-VLS laser
also >>28359143
>>
File: 1451166313743.jpg (218 KB, 1054x2048) Image search: [Google]
1451166313743.jpg
218 KB, 1054x2048
>>28359199
>>
>>28358854
yes.

yes we can.

given time.
>>
File: what a lovely war.webm (3 MB, 640x270) Image search: [Google]
what a lovely war.webm
3 MB, 640x270
>>28358792
>humane form of mass slaughter.
oxymoron
>>
Isn't there something about not using lasers against humans because muh retinas?
>>
>>28358739
LOTGH becomes real when?

JOIN THE EMPIRE AND DEFEAT THE CORRUPT ALLIANCE.

BECOME A FUTURE PRUSSIAN TODAY
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.