[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would the risk be if I were to take a semi-auto free state
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
What would the risk be if I were to take a semi-auto free state legal AKM with 30rnd mags and no bullet button on a road trip with me, along with a gen 3 Glock 19 with 15rnd mags, and subsequently drive the entire length of California north to south?
>>
Were you planning on doing something extra retarded to draw attention to initiate interaction with law enforcement or just driving north to south?
>>
>>28355176
pretty sure there's a federal law that protects people who are driving through, as long as you're making reasonable stops or whatever.

But seriously, unless you're drawing attention to yourself or get pulled over for dumb driving and the cop searches your car, you're fuck fine.
>>
>>28355176
if you get stopped, then odds are the police will fuck with you and seize your weapon regardless of the federal laws protecting you\
what they dont know wont hurt them though
>>
When i'm going through a no-fun state, i disassemble all the guns except for my CCW and keep them in locked containers, separated from the ammo.

But you're in the United States, not in Bumfuck Angola, its not like you'll need to use an AK. I've actually had the need to CC an AR Pistol in a thirdworld country before; this is not your case. So just don't draw attention.
>>
>>28355239
you're right. but the guns also have to be locked and out of reach.
>>
>>28355239
>>28355336
I'd like to see more info on this law if you have a link. Thanks
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act
Safe passage provision
Make as few stops possible (unenforceable unless you're really dumb), keep gun and ammo separate and both locked up
>>
>>28357168
The only state that doesn't respect this is New Jersey. But that's fairly typical of a state run by mobsters.
>>
>>28357184
California (depending on where you are, or who pulls you over) will not follow the safe passage provision.

CHP does not care, they will arrest you. So will other sheriff departments and local PDs
>>
>>28357184
wait wait, New York honors this policy too?
>>
File: 1398816808156.jpg (146 KB, 655x1024) Image search: [Google]
1398816808156.jpg
146 KB, 655x1024
>>28357184
>>28357201
So like, why the fuck is that not a Supreme Court case waiting to happen? I'm all for state's rights but that's dumb. Is it not, has it just not been tried yet? I wouldn't want to be the guy to try, but it seems pretty cut and dry.
>>
>>28358499
Im guessing the actual incidents of people driving through with firearms and getting caught and arrested for are low to nil in those particular areas. I mean, even if you got pulled over for some traffic thing or whatever, a cop isnt going to search every car, unless something about you or the car gives him pause.
>>
>>28357184
New Jersey has gotten in trouble for that. I know one guy's flight got delayed and he got fucked but won in court.
>>
>>28356478
You'll have to look the link up yourself but it says basically:
You can transport a gun across a state where that gun is banned so long as you are driving straight through, that is not sight seeing, visiting relatives, going to disney land etc, and the gun is transported in the manner that is legally required for guns to be transported in that state.
So basically what the other anon said, unloaded, locked in a case, ammo separate and probably the mags empty and separate.
>>
>>28355176
You have to be on your way to a gun competition to bring non Cali-legal funs.

Get a bullet button for your AK, they're like $20 at most. Glock mags are cheap enough, just buy a couple 10's.
>>
Also, keep in mind that your CC is NOT valid in California.
>>
>>28359341

>be a cuck!

Fuck you.
>>
>>28359381
>Go to jail!

You're a fucking idiot. Even if you use your pistol in self defense in California you'll get fucked. My boss has been illegally CC'ing for a couple months and I'm just waiting for his felony.

People like you are fucking idiots.
>>
>>28355239
The protection from Federal law ends where California law retardation begins.
>>
>>28355176

Slap a grip wrap on the rifle. Post your email and I'll get your details to send you Magblock brand magblocks for your Glock and AK mags.
>>
>>28359399

It's not a felony to CC in CA without a CCW unless you are CCing a gun that isn't registered to you.
>>
>>28359477
It's still a gross misdemeanor and makes you a prohibited person for an amount of time to be determined at trial. If you have a second offense it is then a felony.
>>
>>28359493

What makes you think that? It seems like you're just pulling stuff out of your ass.
>>
>>28357427
>honors this policy
It's a law. Not a guideline or something that is to be "honored" in a legal sense.

They are legally bound by federal law to allow that person to pass through the state.

That being said, it very rarely happens that a law enforcement agency in a restrictive state will actually allow that to happen. You should expect to be detained, charged and go through a lengthy legal battle.
>>
>>28359341
>bending over for unconstitutional laws

People like you are the reason I can't own machine guns. You are the ones holding back the gun community by complying with these laws instead of resisting them. You think obeying the government ever works out if you're on the shit list? I hope you hang first
>>
>>28359785
Fight the law lawfully. Fighting laws by breaking them is not going to work, you'll just make the problem worse.
>>
>>28359794
Oh yes yes, obey the rules that they have set forth but fail to follow, that will definitely work just fine! They haven't rigged the game or anything like that, or ignored things that don't work in their favor. You're literally a legal cuckold and do not deserve to be an American citizen
>>
>>28359818
You don't fight the law by being the one dude that breaks gun laws before making a fool of himself on Youtube or in court. You fight the law with a group, you as an individual are nothing but a $1000+ fine for the government you depose oh so very much.

Oh wait, you're not from a state that has these issues and actively fights them. You wouldn't do jack fucking shit to help in a no fun state and probably wouldn't even carry illegally like you say we should.

Meat heads like you ruin guns for everyone.
>>
>>28359818
...he said as he was the biggest blowhard cuck of them all
>>
While we are on the subject, whats the deal with 30rnd magazines in Colorado? I believe they have a 10rnd limit now, in response to the Aurora shooting, right?
I remember reading that its ok for non-residents to bring 30 rounders in, they just cant be sold, correct? A large portion of my trip will be Colorado. I might opt to just skip California entirely anyways. I'm sure there's 6 weeks worth of shit to do in WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, CO, AZ, NV, UT and NM
>>
>>28359932
>>28359946
All these assumptions, but no evidence to support them. Why, it almost seems as though you're just throwing out whatever mean-spirited insult comes to you first, desperately backpedaling and trying to justify your un-American attitudes. My point stands, and is the only correct one.
>>
File: covered.png (41 KB, 512x266) Image search: [Google]
covered.png
41 KB, 512x266
>>28359341
>You have to be on your way to a gun competition to bring non Cali-legal funs.
Or you could be driving from Oregon to Arizona.
>>
>>28355239
Yes but states do ignore it because they can fuck you over waiting for a trial rather than respect the firearms owners protection act
>>
>>28359973
Well in most states, CA and probably Colorado included, a disassembled magazine is not considered a magazine.

California, as shitty as our laws and inner city areas are, is a really beautiful state.
>>
>>28359980
I bet you're also a Calvinist.
>>
>>28358499
>State's rights.
This means that Cali, NY and Jersey get away with their bullshit forever.
>>
Oregon here, I want to do the same thing but I think I'd suck it up and just drive through Nevada.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVzUAqbAaaw
>>
I'm so tempted to load up a car with 30 round mags. Lock them in a clear box in the rear window, unloaded but obvious.
Drive straight through every shithole state until I get arrested.
Sue state for millions.
>>
File: wje3l.jpg (74 KB, 546x499) Image search: [Google]
wje3l.jpg
74 KB, 546x499
>>28355176
>>
>>28359818
Wow it must be nice to have grown up in a state that values your rights and won't throw you in jail because the possibility of the ammo touching the gun means that it's loaded, legally.

Thus, you can sit here and sneer at the rest of us without ever having to put shit on the line.
>>
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 535x198) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 535x198
>>28355176
I wrote a big post this morning in the library but couldn't post it.

The Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 peaceable journey protects your unloaded firearm and locked firearm while driving through a state it is not legal in.

It does not protect:
anything if you make any stops at all (FOPA)
traveling (A->B->A) through a part of a state where the firearm is illegal to get "back" to the first state, more common in fractured states like West Virginia or Michigan
traveling (A->B) from a free state to a state where the firearm is illegal off private property, very common for people who live on a border or commute across a border
a loaded firearm
an unloaded locked firearm in the same compartment as the driver if another locked enclosed compartment exists (ie pickup with cap)
an unloaded locked firearm in any glovebox
an unloaded locked firearm in any center console
an unloaded locked firearm within reach of the driver
an unloaded locked firearm in a container which can be opened within reach of the driver
magazines or clips banned by capacity under state law
magazines banned by type under state law (drums, belts, etc)
possession of ammunition by type (New Jersey criminalizes hollowpoints)
anything if you drive more than the minimum practical distance in california (CA law, not FOPA)
anything if you make more stops to shit/piss/eat than you can defend in court (CA law, not FOPA)

Since FOPA also fails to define "unloaded", you have several states writing their own fucked up definitions of unloaded. One rather stupendous example is (paraphrasing) any firearm in the same container as any ammunition - making no exception for unloaded magazines, bullets of the wrong type for the firearm, or magazines of the wrong type for the firearm.

cont...
>>
>>28360059
Very productive.
>>
File: IMG_0077.gif (2 MB, 252x243) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0077.gif
2 MB, 252x243
>>28355176
>>28360078
LEOSA, for example, did not previously address ammunition. It was then amended to protect all ammunition not banned by the NFA.

Neither FOPA nor LEOSA protect you from magazine capacity laws. Most highcap bans exempt law enforcement, though.

drive your handguns
mail your rifles
mail your shotguns
mail your other firearms
mail your magazines
mail your ammunition
ask someone else about title ii/nfa firearms

To answer your question directly:
>What would the risk be if I were to take on a road trip with me through the entire legal length of California north to south:
>a semi-auto free state legal AKM with no bullet button
It's an assault weapon unless you put one of those retarded pistol grip thumb blockers and screw off the flash suppressor.
>30rnd mags
100% illegal unless you unload and disassemble, enjoy prison
>a gen 3 Glock 19
should be fine
>15rnd mags
100% illegal unless you unload and disassemble, enjoy prison

Generally it is considered **VERY UNWISE** to rely on FOPA at all while transporting firearms. Don't be too sad, FOPA is responsible for buying ammo online.

Online ammunition purchases was totally worth trading away our machinegun rights, right?

right?

guys?
>>
>>28359980
>Throws out insults
>Gets insulted in return
>"LOL no proof!"

Are you from /pol/ by any chance?
>>
>>28357427
To the letter. Apparently, someone got delayed on a layover in JFK or La Guardia and at the very instant the FOPA time limit expired they were arrested for the checked handguns in their luggage.
>>
>>28360774
thats fucking evil
>>
>>28355320
you cant ccw in california unless you have a california CCW permit
>>
op why wouldnt you just get a 10 dollar mag lock or better yet unscrew and remove the pistol grip and be 100% legal
>>
>>28355176
Guns or ammo locked up, no rounds in the mags and mags out of the gun. Youre fine.
>>
>>28355176
Did that guy ever go to jail? I'm going to be extremely disappointed if not.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.