[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Flir or NOD?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
What does k suggest for a first purchase? My main experience between the two is form playing DayZ, and having Flir scopes is like a complete unfair advantage. And I like unfair advantages.
>>
>>28350553

Close one eye to maintain your night vision so the muzzle flash doesn't blind you.
>>
>>28350553
Nod on helmet
FLIR on rifle

NOD is for general walking around and avoiding walking into trees. FLIR is for finding people innawoods and killing them.

Both are very expensive
>>
>>28350553
is that a sasquatch in the pic? please be careful if you go out in the woods alone
>>
FLIR is ungodly expensive. A semi-cheap approach being taken now is to use a low resolution FLIR sensor and merge it with the image of a regular camera, giving a smooth-looking FLIR image. This wouldn't work at night with a normal camera though.
>>
>>28350553
DOWN WITH GDI
>>
>>28350729
PEACE THROUGH POWER
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
Had the chance to play with one of these little T10 thermal viewer along side a NOD setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4u3QY97cW0

The little thermal sight really compliment the NOD setup by draw attention to an area for you then you can adjust the NOD to see it in a larger picture.
>>
>>28350873
Seems like the type of thing that will become crazy usable (150hz+ 120+ pov) with technological advances in the next couple years, for relatively cheap

True FLIR/NOD optics when?
>>
File: IMAG1049[1].jpg (651 KB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1049[1].jpg
651 KB, 2688x1520
Flir is way more fun.

I bought a handheld unit to fuck around with a few months ago and I'm hooked.
>>
>>28350632

this makes a lot of sense. and yeah it would cost about $10k for a good setup.
>>
>>28350553
NVG. If you could have only one or the other? A head mounted monocular Trumps thermal. Thermal will eat through roughly a CR-123 every hour or every two hours for the highest end units available commercially right now. They are also impossible (well, just really hard) to navigate with.

NVGs on the other hand can last for like 40 hours on a single AA battery. They are great for navigation, and act as a force multiplier against people who don't have NODs. It's part of why the US just fucking obliterated in Afghanistan and Iraq. The goat fuckers couldn't see when it got dark.

A one or the other thing would be NVG. Add a laser and you can shoot with it. You can find things at night you would otherwise have missed. It's a fucking sweet toy to have and good for the SHTF locker.

Once you have NODs, come back and start saving pennies for a thermal.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.