[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cold weather operating
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: image_4.jpg (138 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
image_4.jpg
138 KB, 1024x1024
What gear is best for cold weather? Weapons, attachments, gloves, etc. What are some essentials for being innawoods? I'm talking temps of -20 to 30F
>>
Thats a broad spectrum.

If your rucking, pack heavy thermals to sleep in. But the main thing to remember is that as you exert yourself your body temperature will increase. Light thermals might end up overheating you if your constantly moving.
>>
>>28349176
Then when you stop, lets say for land nav, your sweat will chill you to the bone.

Gloves.. wear a pair of run of the mill cotton gloves underneath some leather ones. I cut the fingers out of the cotton ones, for more delicate finageling.
>>
>>28349055
anything from the land of the glorious slavs
>>
Arcteryx LEAF everything
>>
Socks need changing every mile or so, but your boots are whats gonna keep your tootsies warm, if your wearing lace ups, be sure to smear mink oil on the toungue to keep moisture out.

As far as weapons go, cant help ya.
>>
Tarps are great for camping. A 10'x10' tarp, 15' of nylon rope, and 8 sticks is a very accommodating tent. Pile dead leaves, or snow on the openings. Bretty good insulation. Sleeping on the ground you should make bedding to keep the earth from sapping your body heat, dry leaves work best, make sure you dont bring any bugs in with you though.
>>
>>28349288
In regards to operating, pick a good vantage point, to set up your tarp. Dig a 10-12" incline down from where your gonna lay your head. Leave the ruck up top and use it as a shooting brace, laying flat with just your head poking out the tent is a pretty good for not getting shot.
>>
>>28349236
I don't know about you doughboy, but I don't think changing socks every 20 minutes is a good idea.
>>
>weapons
AK pattern anything
>>
Op here thanks for the advice so far. Are certain types of firearms prone to freezing up in cold temps? What gloves will keep hands warm enough but not restrict usage of smaller tools and weapons? Is it best to have fully water proof clothing?
>>
>>28349515
Water cooled MGs :^)

Alaska state troopers did a cold weather rifle test. Only the Galil and Valmet (AK copies) passed, ARs and other guns flunked.
>>
Warm coffee
>>
>>28349723
Would an AK be a viable hunting weapon if need be? Would it destroy small game too badly?
>>
>>28349816
Viable hunting weapon? Of course. It's great for intermediate game, four and two legged.

It might tear up a rabbit too much though.

Maybe a 5.45x39 model AK would be better for slightly smaller game.
>>
File: S&W Model 22A.jpg (77 KB, 800x524) Image search: [Google]
S&W Model 22A.jpg
77 KB, 800x524
>>28349816
An AK in 7.62x39 will work for animals like deer. 5.45 may work, depends how big your deer are. Small animals like squirrels will get shrecked. If you want to hunt small game you could get a 10/22, or a takedown version, or a .22 pistol with good sights
>>
>>28349723
>Alaska state troopers did a cold weather rifle test.
More like Alaska state troopers huffed diesel fumes then watched a Jackie Chan movie.
>>
I shot a frog with my mosin using 180 gr SP. the body was roughly the size of my fist. I hit it right behind the head and it flew about 30 ft in the air. There was nothing but legs, and one arm and the head hanging by the skin. You can hunt small game with 7.62x39/54r but I wouldn't use expanding projectiles due to the risk of blowing off half the meat
>>
>>28349401
Thats a good point. Idk, my socks are usualy pretty wet by then.
>>
>>28349055
-20 to 30, you just need some good sticky inserts and some loose gloves or mittens. Wear whatever you'd wear skiing.

Now, when it's true arctic where it's -25 to -60 you need a totally different skill set.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.