[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In the market for my first rifle. Looking at the Sig MCX. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: sigmcx.png (110 KB, 918x283) Image search: [Google]
sigmcx.png
110 KB, 918x283
In the market for my first rifle. Looking at the Sig MCX. I'm waiting for the price to drop to about $1500

Is there anything inherently wrong with this gun that I should consider? Reviews for it seem generally positive
>>
File: maximum pout.jpg (9 KB, 489x479) Image search: [Google]
maximum pout.jpg
9 KB, 489x479
everyones starter rifle should be a bolt action and if you have the money the type 99 arisaka is good if you can find 7.7 jap for it
>>
>>28347542
Just get a cheap starter AR-15 / AK variant and just build it up from there. My best gun is probably my first because I got some cheap $499 AR-15 and just started upgrading parts I felt need to be upgraded from triggers to barrels.
>>
>>28347581
>the type 99 arisaka is good if you can find 7.7 jap for it
I'm sure it is, but that's not even remotely the kind of gun I'm looking for.

I've shot bolt action before. Was on a varsity 22lr team in high school. Grew up in AK and hunted for moose with a .308. I'm comfortable with an AR15 / AK platform
>>
>>28347542
I don't think SIG usa has ever made a long gun that wasn't a piece of shit.
>>
File: boaEjCY.gif (208 KB, 323x221) Image search: [Google]
boaEjCY.gif
208 KB, 323x221
>>28347581
Nothing really wrong with the MCX, most people on /k/ hate it because it costs money.

To be fair you can get a very nice AR or AK for the same price.

Get it if you want it.
>>
>>28347756
the only complains I can find for the MCX is the heavier trigger and the lack of side charging
>>
>>28347581
What type of advice is this?

>buy a gun to learn to shoot, that ammo is impossible to find
>>
My general consensus is, it looks like shit. But looks don't matter and I bet it shoots great. If you got the money go for it
>>
>>28347542
I got one for christmas and put roughly 440 rounds through it thus far. My dad picked it up for 1450. Is there anything in particular you want to know?

If it's within your budget, itll make a fine first rifle. There is something to be said about getting an AR or AK first, considering you can really tailor them to your preferences with very developed aftermarkets. That being said, the MCX is a six pound-ish rifle and it shoots like a champ; if you want one, buy one and disregard what anyone else says.
>>
>>28347975
>Is there anything in particular you want to know?
What do you think about the stock MCX trigger? Also are you using the 5.56 version?
>>
>>28347988
>5.56 version
What other versions are there?
>>
>>28347988
I am using the 556 version, and Im already debating about SBR this thing and getting a .300 blk barrel that wont be for some time. The trigger is no better or worse than a stock AR15 trigger. I might've been lucky and gotten a decent one. You can use ar15 trigger groups for if you fancy an upgrade. I may throw a geissele in it eventually, but the current trigger is by no means unusable.
>>
>>28348000
300 blackout and 7.62
>>
>>28347988
also, the rifle is right here next to me, if you want to see any pictures of it or its guts or whatever, just lemme know.

It should also be noted that it comes with some nice things as well: Okay ind steel Mag with what looks like to be a magpul follower, 2 point nylon sling that's not too bad, QD sling mount, lube. For 1450, id say its breddy gud
>>
>>28348038
Oh shit I didn't know there was a 7.62 version.

.308 or x39?
>>
>>28348156
the 762x51 version isnt out yet, though I would expect Sig to bring it up at the 2016 Shot Show.
>>
>>28348080
does it feed well with a variety of different mags? Also, which parts are not interchangeable with standard AR parts?
>>
>>28348366
I used the stock Okay Ind mag, a Gen 3 Pmag, and the current iteration Lancer. All fed well with no issues. On my next range trip im going to use a gen 2 Pmag, an Emag and a Troy Battlemag but I don't have any expectations of failure.

The parts that are interchangeable are grips and trigger groups. If you get an ar15 stock adapter, you can obviously use ar15 stocks.

The MCX uses a proprietary charging handle and bolt. You might be able to use an ar15 firing pin; they look identical. I also think the safety may be proprietary as well.
>>
>>28347542

They made the whole fucking thing out of 6061 Aluminum rofl. Upper and lower.

I found that out and noped right the fuck out of this product. Given what the MSRP is, you should expect the superior 7075. I mean it's industry fucking standard.
>>
>>28347581
>recommends arisaka
Nigga, no. A ruger american or a savage axis in .308 is way better.
>>
>>28350877

Why would anyone choose 6061? Especially for an upper.

6061 – Mechanical Properties
Ultimate Tensile Strength 45000 psi
Tensile Yield Strength 40000 psi
Fatigue Strength 14000 psi
Shear Strength 30000 psi
Hardness, Rockwell 40
Machinability 50%

7075 – Mechanical Properties
Ultimate Tensile Strength 83000 psi
Tensile Yield Strength 73000 psi
Fatigue Strength 23000 psi
Shear Strength 48000 psi
Hardness, Rockwell 53.5
Machinability 70%
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.