[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anything that the marine corps does that the other branches
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 246
Thread images: 28
File: image.jpg (762 KB, 2304x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
762 KB, 2304x1536
Is there anything that the marine corps does that the other branches do equally well or better? What is a career that an officer could have in the marine corps that is better than all of its equivalents in the other branches?
>>
Rape
>>
>>28337074

Self discipline
>>
>>28337077
Loll wut

>>28337085
You think that isn't in other branches? Isn't the marine corps famous for lack of discipline?
>>
>>28337074
Pay more.
>>
>>28337103
Wut???
>>
>>28337074
I figure this could be a good option for you anon
>>
There's literally nothing. The Marine Corps does everything worse as a whole, they are just gung ho and whatever and make people think they are better, in reality that average non-combat MOS proficiency in the Marine Corps is far lower than other branches, ie, Comm guys know less than Army Comm guys, engineers know less than army, supply, etc
>>
>>28337118
It's not like anyone actually liked this guy or congratulated him for doing something so stupid. This is not the rule, it's the exception.
>>
>>28337134
Blame the Navy for all that.
>>
>>28337134
I hear even the combat MOS guys in the marine corps are of lower caliber than everyone else too
>>
File: 3135-309x316.jpg (19 KB, 309x309) Image search: [Google]
3135-309x316.jpg
19 KB, 309x309
Good idea for a thread, OP. I'm sure 4chan will get right to the bottom of this matter, once and for all. Fuck history and fuck personal experience! Lets take it to the court of nogunz public opinion!

Out-fucking-standing!
>>
>>28337074
their hymn is pretty nice...
>>
>>28337203
Lol care to offer your opinion?
>>
They have lots of guts, I'll give 'em that. They are brave

But as a whole they seemed dumber than Army soldiers. I had several NCOs (Infantry and Tankers) that had served in the Marines, and every one of them preferred the Army.

I've watched Marines training stateside and saw them while deployed to Iraq. I specifically remember one Marine had died when no one knew how to apply a tourniquet to his leg. They didn't even attempt to try and stop his bleeding, and I watched a Army medical Sgt Maj at the FOB cuss out their entire plt, telling them because they didn't know basic first aid, their friend is dead. Their medic had been killed earlier in the firefight. That was mid 2007.

I was going to join the Marines, but because I had a HSD from a home school program (moving around a lot at the time), they wouldn't let me join. Anytime I think about it now in retrospect, I'm so grateful I went to the Army instead.

Anyone who says that the Marines is better than the Army is either A. a Marine or B. talking out their ass.
>>
>>28337074
USMC is the very definition of redundant
>>
>>28337074
No other branch compares to the experience and pride of the average marine. 13 weeks of pure hell morphs a civilian into a modern day spartan, inducting you into a military brotherhood like no other. If you join another branch, everyone will know that you are a joke in comparison.
>>
>>28337085
Get the fuck out of here. Marines are the reason USFJ are constantly on lockdown. Thanks for fucking it up for the other branches, assholes!
>>
File: thedonald.jpg (9 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
thedonald.jpg
9 KB, 300x200
>>28337704
>Join the Air Force
>Walk around in uniform
>99% of people: Are you a Marine?
>MFW
Most people don't know you are Marine. Only way they can tell is if a Marine tell your he's a Marine, which they do quite often.
>>
>>28337074
>Is there anything that the marine corps does that the other branches do equally well or better?

Absorb casualties at a lower cost. They exist as redundancy and to absorb enemy weapons fire to save the more capable, expensive branches.
>>
>>28337704
get fucked. Marines are the biggest group of retarded misfits ive ever met. Head slapping waists of DNA that couldnt get into a CC.
>>
>>28337074
Suicide....

No seriously our military is fucking demoralized to shit. We wouldn't survive 3 weeks against Russia at the moment. Even if there were another "9/11", you couldn't get them to fight another war.

The US is spent.
>>
>>28337704
green berets
pjs
nightstalkers
rangers
CAD

btfo
>>
>>28337074

>other branches
>equal or better

Marines are no different than your average Army 11b. Non-combat Army gets almost no combat training, has easy going basic training. Non-combat marines are needlessly put through some advanced infantry training that they never use, or ever train on again.

Army has same PT standards, same marksmanship standards, same tests, same exercises, battle drills, conditioning, etc. etc.

main difference is that marines talk a lot of shit, and think they're the best of the best of the best for no reason other than.... well....there's really no good reason for it. it makes no sense, and pisses off all the other branches because of their idiotic sense of entitlement.

Marines are better than any other branch at giving people attitude, shitting on civilians, pissing off the Army, Navy, and USAF, ruining a good time, and they're by far the best at telling everyone they fucking meet that they're a marine.

They're also bitches compared to Rangers, and their hand to hand program IS A FUCKING JJJOOOOOOKKKKKEEEE
>>
>>28337095
They do quite a bit of raping wherever they go or stay.
>>
>>28338123
E-4 detected
>>
>>28338205
you sound okinawa
>>
File: 1449984313070.jpg (21 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1449984313070.jpg
21 KB, 256x256
>>28338274
Or USFJ, who is in constant curfew because of dickface jarheads.
>>
>>28338205
Only beta faggots join the AF or Navy, they are statistically less likely to attempt rape because they know they won't succeed. Marines are in general more alpha personalities and know they can succeed in rape
>>
>>28338322
>statistically less likely to attempt rape

Than a service full of niggers, Spaniards and imbeciles. Quite a high bar thus fairly easy to get under it.
>>
>>28338322
You seriously can't make this shit up. I knew a guy in high school who joined the air force and when he came back on leave he already had some cracked out spent hoe with a 3 year old kid dragging him around
>>
>>28338322
>Marines
>Alpha
The only military personnel I have known to own anime figurines have been marines. Honestly the only difference between army and marines are the marines have a better propaganda machine (IE fighting dragons in dress blues, etc).
>>
>>28338365
Tag chasers. They hear the words "Tricare" and all of the sudden they swallow and do anal.
>>
>>28338345
>Than a service full of niggers, Spaniards and imbeciles
You just described the entire US military, nice. The USMC is still mostly whites (83%)

/k/ Should love the USMC way more, being the most homogeneous service
>>
>>28338123
>believing Russia, with less than half the manpower available, basically no fleet and a rusting air force would be able to defeat the US in a protracted non-nuclear war

Jesus Christ get it together /k/.
>>
>>28338379
Source for your claim?

I swear every Marine unit I've been around was 70% beaners.

Also /k/ is not /pol/
>>
>>28337074
They have a better dress uniform.
They are figuratively worse at everything than their Army/Air force counterparts.

But being a Marine is harder, and builds a bigger ego.
Also much more likely to see deployment comparative to their Army counterparts, or at least some level of international posting.

Being an Officer in any branch is a challenge, having to deal with a flock of lads with rifles on a power trip may even make being a Marine Infantry Officer more of a challenge, not to mention a still greater chance of seeing deployment, though potentially with less training and qualification opportunities than your Army Infantry Officer counterpart.
>>
>>28338379
USMC are arrogant assholes. Why would /k/ like them?
>>
36% of the Marine Corps is from the age of 18-21. That in itself should be a clear handicap for the other branches for rape statistics.

>>28338389
http://www.statisticbrain.com/demographics-of-active-duty-u-s-military/
>>
File: Happy Merchant.jpg (69 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
Happy Merchant.jpg
69 KB, 501x585
>>28338389
Forgot my pic.
>>
>>28337074
They die more. That's the only thing.
>>
Marine Corps is also on 6.8% females, far less than any other branch. Thank god.

>>28338395
Ah, that's right, I forgot, most of /k/ is social reject fatties and skinny manchildren. Of course they would dislike arrogant dickheads that are superior to them lol
>>
>>28338238
career E-4 detected
>>
>>28337134
I've only worked with one Marine before (Intel) and he didn't know how to type on a keyboard or use a computer and that was literally his whole job.
>>
>>28337074
Ego and alcoholism.
>>
>>28337074
>things Marines do better than everyone else
Rape japs.
Get kicked out of AO's for war crimes
Commit war crimes
Accidentally villages that weren't supposed to be accidentally'd
Get kicked out of USSOCOM
Get kicked out of USSOCOM a second time
Sink boats
Sink allied boats
Catch multimillion dollar fighter jets that aren't theirs on fire
Set off fire suppression systems that ruin multimillion dollar fighter jets that aren't theirs (both the suppression system and the jet) when they -aren't- on fire
Friendly fire
Drown (more Marines die from drowning (in the line of duty/at work) every year than all other branches combined...yet they spend the least amount of time around water as an aggregate. 1/10th the people, 1/100th the time at sea as the navy and 2x as many drownings).

I'm sure I'm missing a few.
>>
>>28338788

oh snap
>>
File: 1448914294024.jpg (81 KB, 352x315) Image search: [Google]
1448914294024.jpg
81 KB, 352x315
They're great at rustling /k/ommando jimmies, for reasons unknown. The greatest, bar none.
>>
>>28338123
>you couldn't get them to fight another war

Hey. Hey you...Psst. Got any more of dem...deployments?
>>
>>28337095
>>28338002
>the other branches do equally well or better

muhrines are basically a pack of wild animals
>>
>>28337074

>grabbing ahold of the bayonet

Is there something I'm missing?
>>
>>28338190
>Army has same PT standards, same marksmanship standards, same tests, same exercises, battle drills, conditioning, etc. etc.

Army guy here. No, to all of that.
>same PT standards
The normal PT test is comparable, but not the same. Situps v. Crunches, 2 mile v. 3 mile run, pushups are the same, Marines have to do at least 1 curl up (Army doesn't have to unless in the 82nd, but also trains true overhand pull ups which are harder. 82nd has to do 3 but that's just 1 division).
>same marksmanship standards
Marines qualify from prone supported untimed out to 500m (on a target the size of a decent wall), and has a fairly involved multi-stage range. Army shoots timed popups from prone supported, prone unsupported, and kneeling but goes from 50-300m. Marines generally train to what is considered a higher standard from a pure marksmanship point but only their infantry ever do popups (which teaches "good enough, fast enough" shooting vs. "perfect at your own pace")
>same tests
Suffice to say no. Too varied and too involved to itemize. There is some overlap in training in joint schools (ammo dog, EOD, a few others) but they generally have their own curriculums.
>same exercises
Pretty much no commander in the Army is dumb enough to make their soldiers run 3+ miles in boots. This is the accepted standard for Marines. It's literally a court-punishable crime in the Army due the number of injuries it causes. Marines actively celebrate hurting their subordinates.
>etc
>etc
From a training standpoint, neither one is really better than the other. There are many many similarities but they are not the same.
>>
>>28337074
>Is there anything that the marine corps does that the other branches do equally well or better?
Look good in their dress blues

Party
>>
>>28338895
>party
Wasn't aware being visibly drunk, in dress uniform, yelling obscenities, in a public place, nowhere near an official military function, on national television was considered a good thing.

Considering that breaks 3 general orders and probably hundreds of command-level orders and is punishable by jail time.

Yet every year there's at least 30 of them in Times Square falling-down drunk in their A's urinating in public and cussing out the news anchor on New Year's Eve.
>>
>>28337311
My brother is Army and I'm a Marine and from what he tells me makes me wish I would've joined the Army. The Marine Corps is just not a good time.
>>
>>28338923
you mad
>>
>>28338982
Nope. Embarrassed that that is what 99.999% of the world thinks Marines do 24/7. Especially since that falls under the realm of "stupid, illegal shit" and they would then be correct in a general sense.
>>
>>28338923
This is why we have libo briefs
>>
>>28339019
>last year it was a Master Gunnery Sergeant. He got arrested because he took a shit in the back of a news van. In his A's.

If Master Guns is doing it, who the fuck gave the brief? Does anyone actually expect people to listen to a Marine officer?
>>
>>28337074
>rape
>pillage
>random fights around bases
>murder of citizens

etc etc
>>
marines are used to take ground and move rapidly. The army is slower, and more defensive.
>>
>>28339058
So why was it the Army that was the first to Baghdad, both times?

Why was it the Army in Panama and Grenada, both coastal countries practically begging for a maritime landing that's right up the Marines' alley?

The Marines have some cool toys (their amphib is the tits), but they do nothing the Army cannot, nor do they do it any faster or better.
>>
i always thought the marine corps had the hottest chicks and many of them are in really good shape. they always kept their buns so clean and tight. the ones i was attracted to were hot and i imagined their kegals were so strong they could flatten my penis into a pancake.
>>
>>28339078
Army guy here again.

Marine women are ugly. Army women are slightly uglier. Navy women...hm. Don't think I've been around the Navy enough to say. Air Force women, despite their nonexistent PT schedule and office environment, somehow manage to be consistently hotter and thinner. I've not once seen a fat AF chick, and the ugliest one I've seen was still probably a 6/10 (compared to the -8888/10 that's the ugliest Marine and -9762/10 that was the ugliest Army chick)
>>
>>28339076
according to doctrine, doesn't mean it happens this way.
>that's how our forces are advertised to congress
>>
>>28339076
Wrong. Wooks (slang for female maween) are disgusting sluts most of the time.
>>
>>28339102
>Air Force women, despite their nonexistent PT schedule and office environment, somehow manage to be consistently hotter and thinner. I've not once seen a fat AF chick

Air Force here.

We have our fair share of fat shit women. I do admit, the balance is more on our side. But fat airsluts do exist.
>>
>>28337085
As many PR issues as we have because of the Marines I call that claim into question.
>>
>>28339103
>according to doctrine
And according to doctrine, the 50 year old overweight female SSG 42A that's not done PT since she shat out her 4th kid 2 decades ago and hasn't actually qualified since Basic sitting in S1 should be able to perform at least adequately in a 72 hour dismounted patrol with 110lbs of kit at 14,000ft ASL in Afghanistan.

I feel ya, but damn. Only the retards in Congress actually believe that shit.
>>
>>28339078
My platoons last 4 boot drop have been females and 3 out of 4 have been married. One showed up pregnant too. 2 of em are decent, but the other 2 are not.
>>
>>28337134
I can confirm this. Worked with some Marines while I was at an ETC at Bragg and we had to walk the Marines we were working with on one comms mission through how to change the settings on their equipment. None of us had ever seen their equipment, mind you.
>>
>>28339102
>Marine women are ugly.

Guess my MEPS was weird because all the women there were applying to the Marines, and they were attractive
>>
>>28339124
>disgusting sluts
>disgusting
That disproves me how?

Just because they'll fuck anything and everything does not make them attractive. In fact, the near-guarantee you'll have to go see Doc 48 hours afterwards because it burns when you pee -should- be a good metric for how not attractive they are.

>>28339125
I'm sure there are a few fatties, but after 10 years at Bragg (with Pope next door and being over there every fucking Friday at Green Ramp) I not once saw one. Do you only send the hotties to Pope as a consolation prize to us jumpers or something?
>>
File: Rleeermeygfdl.jpg (165 KB, 704x857) Image search: [Google]
Rleeermeygfdl.jpg
165 KB, 704x857
>>28339076
*Sigh*
Marines have a different mission from the Army.

Marines are trained to do amphibious landings from Navy ships and littoral boats. Marines are also an "Expeditionary Force".

Reminder: this is not a competition.
>>
>>28339174
I was agreeing with you
>>
>>28339102

I agree with you on the ugly Army chicks thing, but a lot of the best military girls I've ever seen are either Marine or Air Force (In that order too.). But hey, to each his own, right?
>>
>>28339182
You can't have reason and logic on an anonymous image board /k/ommrade.
>>
>>28339182
Once more.

Marines have a different mission ON PAPER.

They have not done an amphibious landing from a Navy ship since the Gulf War, and they also did it alongside the Army, who did everything they did, except in larger numbers at the same time. They have not done an amphibious landing under hostile fire since WW2, and guess what? The Army (and Army Air Corps and Navy and even the USCG were right there too, along with the Army/Navy/Marines/CG/Boy Scouts of a dozen other countries).

What about expeditionary force? A battalion of Marines rides around on a CSG for 3-4 months, pretty much guaranteeing that short of a full on Da Habbening none of the boats will get anywhere even remotely close to a hostile nation for fear of shore-launched AShM's perforating the carrier and they'll do nothing other than fuck with each other/Airedales and get NJP'd? Meanwhile the 82nd can (and does) deploy from FORT BRAGG NC anywhere in the world in 18 hours or less. Continental US to Mongolia, the Middle East, Tahiti, or even Australia in 18 hours or your dictatorship back. And we've done it. We continue to do it. And that's an entire brigade capable of doing that 24/7/365 (DRB), not a light battalion with no vehicles.

Are Marines trained to be an expeditionary force? Yep. Are they also trained to do amphibious landings from everything from a Nimitz to driftwood? Also yep.

But so is the Army. Their missions and intents only differ on paper, and only for the sole reason of creating just enough "well maybe, what if" in Congress to secure extra funding for a larger military.
>>
>>28339209
Mkay.

So why did you lead off with "wrong"?

I'm confuse.
>>
navy chicks are mostly gross, they don't have very high standards in that branch.
>>
>>28339174
Well, they call it No Hope Pope for a reason. I did a TDY to Bragg and that base is depressing as fuck.

Secondly, if they are mixing with the Army at all, chances are they do PT.
>>
File: 1450502886826.png (132 KB, 255x358) Image search: [Google]
1450502886826.png
132 KB, 255x358
>>28339182
Trained for amphibious landings

Instead spend a decade doing battle in a landlocked country.
>>
well I don't know, but surely you always need infantry launched from a boat
>>
>>28339258
>I did a TDY to Bragg and that base is depressing as fuck
No shit. I've been here since 2005, looks like I'll retire out of here in 2024. Literally like the 4th ring of hell (with Cherry Point being the 5th ring and Lejeune being the 7th ring).
>>
File: 1439344562616.png (12 KB, 500x294) Image search: [Google]
1439344562616.png
12 KB, 500x294
>>28337085
>the fratshits of the military
>disciplined

This must be bait
>>
>>28339227
True. That's why i'm not getting belligerent and responding to every post.
>>28339245
Good answer. I would address your points, but ...as a Navy friend is fond of saying "This stuff is way above my pay grade."
>>
>>28338882
>Marines actively celebrate hurting their subordinates.
this one hurt and made me laugh like a retard senpai
thank you for the flashbacks and fuck you Sgt Watts but thank you for saving my life indirectly
>>
>>28339288
What always got me was your gyms. Army gyms are like shitholes with weights. In the Air Force we have way better gyms yet we are not ground combat forces.
>>
>>28339332
That's because most of our shitholes with weights existed before the Air Force did.

Seriously, Tucker Gym on Bragg was a gym in 1948.
Imagine that if you will. AT LEAST 67 years of North Carolina heat and humidity, lower-enlisted sweat/blood/herpes, and all the misery and despair those cinderblock walls and lead paint could absorb.
>>
>>28338882
You're wrong.
Source: 5th award expert . marine corps
>>
>>28339306
I'm really not trying to badmouth what the Marines do. As a fighting force, they are excellent.

What I am trying to badmouth is how the SecDef/Pentagon/Congress has been using them for the last 60 years. Can't pin that on the Corps, most of them are civvies.
>>
>>28339381
>27th straight 40/40 expert here
With irons no less. You muhreens with your ACOGs-for-qual are cheaters.

Just kidding. I have never shot below expert but only ever get 40/40 on the 25m alt-fire course (which I've only had to do like 3x).

Wasn't kidding about the optics thing though. Seriously, dats cheating mayne.
>>
>>28339414
You qual with what you're issued. My 4th qual i did with an acog, I asked for an a2 with irons after i got back and qual'd again with it.
We shoot standing, kneeling, and prone, rapid and slow. Everything has a time limit.
Also, physical qual
PFT 3 miles in running shoes in 28 minutes, at least 3 pullups and 50?? sit ups in a minute, don't remember.
CFT, half mile within 3 minutes in boots. lots of other shit

CFT is the only time you're REQUIRED to run in boots, it's not hard at all.

That being said.. I got out in 2010
>>
File: 1451003415129.jpg (1 MB, 1088x816) Image search: [Google]
1451003415129.jpg
1 MB, 1088x816
>>28338123
>The US wouldn't last 3 weeks against Russia
You're either a Vatnik or severely misinformed comrade. Russia will collapse from economic ruin within the next 5 years, esp when the Euro-Iranian gas pipelines take away Russia's only meaningful export.
The Russians no force projection to speak of, with the assistance of the SAA being pretty much all they can handle.

The US has crushed Russia, and their only option now is to either submit to western demands or face complete economic destruction.
>>
Make you hate your life more and become a alcoholic. I know 0341 since 2012
>>
>>28338882
youre wrong on the pullups thing m8. literally no pullup test in the 82nd

>source 5 yrs in this fucking dog and pony show

that said I was around marines in Iraq. utter trash in every desu. low morale, incompetency at all levels from bottom to top, and some shit tier equipment. and horrible fucking advancement opportunities. guys with 2 combat rotations, 4 yrs in, and no ucmj were still e3 which is fucking unheard of in the army.
>>
>>28337311
>I wasn't good enough for the Marines
>>
>>28339490
And the US will collapse in the coming years due to a new civil war sparked by government mistrust.
>>
>>28339451
100 sit up on a minute but they're not real, you like half ass cross your arms and them touching your thighs counts as one
I never met anyone that didn't get 100 on the sit ups
although I did see a recruit get chewed out for saying 99 when they asked him how many his partner did
fucking blue falcon faggot
>>
>>28337704
>posts picture of not a marine
>>
>>28339451
Yeah the Army hasn't fully integrated the Army version of the CFT. I've done it all of once, we have a 400m shuttle run in boots.

Other standard, the APFT, is as follows: (17-21yo male) are 2-mile in 15:56, 42 pushups, 53(?) situps. Full situps, not the bullshit crunches the Marines do. Unless you're in the 82nd, no pull ups.

We qualify for record (promotion points, etc) with iron sights exclusively. Then we put whatever optic we're issued back on and qual for training purposes. It evens the playing field across the Army, since promotions are Army-wide, and some units have ACOGs, some have Elcans, some have CompM2's, some CompM3's, some CompM4's, and a few unlucky bastards with Eotech 553's. Course of fire is 20 rounds prone supported in 45 seconds, 10 rounds prone unsupported in 30 seconds, and 10 rounds kneeling in 30 seconds. Farther targets stay up longer, the 50m target is only up for 1/2 a second (I think the 300m target is up for 3 seconds) and you get at least 2 times where you get 2 targets at once.

I'm an 89B. My primary instructor in AIT was a Marine, half the class were Marines because it's a joint school, and we qualified to Marine standards on a Marine range in AIT. I've shot both, and I legitimately cannot say one is tougher or more difficult than the other. They're different, different enough to not be a direct comparison.
>>
>>28339565
Well 100 is perfect score. I just meant what was required. like how 20 is the max for pullups.
in boot i could do 120 legit sit ups in a minute...now AHAHHAHAHAHA fuck i'm fat
>>
>>28339498
Unit? Because we damned sure have to do pull ups to be recommended to the board. No, there is no official "82nd only" for-record PT test, but if you can't do a pullup they'll take your jump status as that's part of the Airborne standard and required to pass Airborne School.
>>
>>28339498
marine infantry is notorious for having shitty promotions
w have a "cutting score" and every mos has a different number to fill, since the infantry is a small portion of the entire corps you can only have a certain amount of lcplc, cpl, sgt, etc... so if no cpl grunts die you're staying a lcpl until then
such is the life when one has the green weenie inside him at all times
>>
>>28339573
where are you getting the 82nd having pullups in the pt test. that is not a thing.
>>
>>28339598
The diagnostic PT test I have to take every 3 months, considering I'm in the fucking 82nd?
>>
>>28339592
3bct. literally not required for the board and not required for airborne school. and they wont take your jump status lol they ucmj people for trying to drop it voluntarily. what the fuck shit show unit are you in lol
>>
>>28339573
Shit is in no way standard throughout the usmc. But promotion is... it's all fucked to the point it doesn't matter. at least when I was in. Some ranges had electronic scorekeeping while others still pull pits and rely on pit pullers.
>>
>>28339624
1/17th Air Cav.

Totally true on the shitshow too.
>whole unit not even on jump status and they still make us do pull ups
>>
>>28339493
Being Marine Infantry can't be this bad...r-right?

I wanted to join the Marines but every jarhead makes it seem like being strapped inside an iron maiden while being buttfucked with a 12" dildo.

Will I just have a better time in the Army?
>>
>>28339739
It's love hate anon
You will love your brothers like no one else, not even blood family compares to your bros. You will hate the corps and it turns into a struggle, you and your bros vs the corps
1/10 would do it all over again
>>
>>28339692
lol airborne in a combat arms unit 3bct and I don't even have to do pullups. you at least get to fly helicopters and shit?
>>
>>28339597
yeah I'm familiar with the Marine promotion clusterfuck.

At least at SSG and below in the Army, if you make points (cutting score) you get promoted provided you pass the board (which if you aren't a blithering idiot you do).

Points go off total figures in the Army, with the lowest being 350 for primary zone and highest being 798. Lots o' shit gives you promotion points, from your PT score to your board eval to weapons qual to medals/ribbons and time in grade. Highest points possible is 800, so it's technically possible to pick up even with points at 798, but it's effectively unachievable (max points from medals, perfect PT, perfect weapon qual, max points from NCO prof. development courses like PLDC(WLDC/whateverthefuck it's called now)/BNCOC(whateverthefuck it's called now), 1 year TIG (E5)/2 years TIG (E6), perfect board score, and 2 deployments required for 800 promotion points).

I got lucky and picked up my 5 in the secondary zone (promoted early) at 350 at the height of Iraq, then spent 4 years as an E5 with points capped at 798 before they dropped to like 640 and I picked up.
>>
>>28339766
Fuck it might as well

plus they have better places to be stationed (lol not trying to be stuck at Sill or Bragg)
>>
File: 1445561485467.jpg (40 KB, 455x368) Image search: [Google]
1445561485467.jpg
40 KB, 455x368
>>28339559
>Oh shit he used facts, better think of something!

>muh new Civil War meme
Wishful thinking aside Sergei, that doesn't invalidate anything I've said. And wuite frankly the same thing is likely to happen to Russia once Gazprom tanks. There's just as much if not more polarization in Russia as in the US.
>>
>>28339784
I get to arm helicopters and shit.

And yell at the nigger fuelers, since I'm a staff NCO now.
>squad leader now @ E6
>III/V platoon
>all my ammo guys are white and smart
>all my fuelers are black or 'Rican and stupid, chimp out constantly, and I have 2 legit-illiterates and one E2 that only speaks garbled spanish
>>
>>28339799
you cursed yourself friend
29 stumps awaits you
>>
>>28339799
You totally just fucked yourself friend. 29 Palms or LeJeune for you.
>>
>>28339817
>29 stumps awaits you
As someone that spent six months.... then volunteered as a roleplayer for another six a few years later.... that shit ain't funny.
That place ....really really sucks.

>>28339824
was in lejeune too. I'll take that everytime over 29 Palms.
>>
>>28339815
kek e5 in an fsc an have to constantly deal with chimpouts by nig nog fuelers and 88ms
>>
>>28339842
>was in lejeune too. I'll take that everytime over 29 Palms

Yes, I too would take smashing my balls with a framing hammer over smashing them with an industrial pile driver.

Not arguing that LeJeune is better than 29 Palms, just that it's still shit.
>>
>>28339817
>>28339824
I have no idea what this means, I take those to bases blow?
For what reasons?

I really hope I'd get that Marine base in Hawaii
>>
>Join the Marines when I was 17.
>Go to joint branch school
>Go to bar while still being 17
>One class gets bar shot down because underage drinking
>no more bar for the entire base

Whatever niggas, you would have done it to, if you weren't such huge pussies.

>Passing the opportunity to get some prime teen Japanese pussy
Full homo.
>>
>>28339861
What's the weirdest shit you had to deal with?

For me it was a new guy to the squadron.
>they sent us a 92G (cook)
>one
>single
>cook
>what the fuck is the refuel/rearm platoon supposed to do with a SINGLE E1 cook? We have no cook shit. Moreover, we're an AVIATION refuel/rearm platoon so he doesn't even have the necessary training to dick with aviation fuel (Aqua-Glo/Millipore).
>he was also a tubby, short guamanian that was full-blown emo
Lasted 2 weeks before he "tried" to commit suicide by jumping off the 2nd floor balcony in the barracks. Didn't even manage to injure himself, but that got him a psych eval and a 1-way trip home.
>>
>>28339896
ayyy
Hawaii base = "waddap brudda?"
>wake up in hospital 2 days later
>>
>>28339870
I love strippers. Lejuene had strippers.
Fyi. I also had a vip card at the stumps. I literally ate a steak and onion ring dinner 3 nights a week for free. Offered a job as a bouncer there on my nights off, if I could be sober, had to turn that down.
You had to go anywhere for fun on either, but lejeune was closer to fun
>>
>>28339551
> Implying minimum qualifications matter
Bragging because your branch require three pull ups is a fascinating thing
>>
>>28339799
>better places to be stationed
>29 palms apparently isn't a place.
>>
>>28339896
29 Palms is a very small Marine base up in the California high desert, primarily used for hosting Mohave Viper and NTC. It is extremely small, and extremely remote, in an area that very closely resembles northern Iraq in every way.

LeJeune is a large Marine base in southern coastal North Carolina. It's surrounded by slums and ghettos, hosts a large number of Marines, and the city around it hasn't updated its infrastructure to hold anywhere close to what it has as far as population. If you stick your dick in ANYTHING at LeJeune you pretty much are guaranteed to catch something, everybody is out to screw you both military and civilian, and all around it's a miserable place.
>>
>>28339921
had a 13b they didn't trust on the gunline after he got busted from 5 to 6 as a distro squad leader, had a guy deploy with us, bitch out halfway through and come back and tell everyone he oper8ed with seals later caught sucking a dudes dick at a party and tried to an hero with meds and alcohol, caught 2 gunline guys going literally ass to mouth in the barracks on cq. actually come to think of it ive come across tons of faggot shit In this unit
>>
>>28338389
Why would the US employ mexicans?
>>
>>28339958
29 palms is actually the largest marine bas in CONUS. .... because of the fuckhuge live fire areas.
lejeune... I fucked like 60 women around there... only got a uti the night before I went to iraq. in 4 years that ain't bad.
>>
>>28339811
>Wishful thinking

It will happen. Americans are so partisan now that they'd kill each over political differences.

I am amazed your country has even lasted this long, especially when you have places like Texas. They love their state so much they probably forget they're part of the USA half the time.
>>
>>28339978
because theres a fuckload of them and in my experience they make excellent soldiers. niggers and Puerto Ricans on the other hand not so much
>>
MUSCLE
A
REQUIREMENT
INTELLIGENCE
NOT
ESSENTIAL
>>
>>28339989
>>28339989
Yeah but cantonment is tiny. It's like the Marine version of Fort McCoy.

You must've invested in some Grade-A rubbers man, or won the fucking lottery. They're literally running a 3x-daily shuttle from the base hospital at LeJeune to Womack on Bragg because they're overloaded with STD cases now. Had one hell of an outbreak of herpes last few months.
>>
>>28339146
I completely agree with Ya, just about as annoyed about it. Part of my job is explaining this shit.

Doctrine is great for very general shit, but things like your example are where it falls apart.
A big part of having a strong force is convincing the guys on the hill to give us money
>>
>>28340014
What is there morale like? Do they strike you as slackers? Deserters?
>>
>>28337074
there is nothing the marine core does better than be cannon fodder

also theyre better at being sucked off by the liberal media as heroes. marine core is good at attention whoring also
>>
>>28337203
>fuck history and prior experience
>when in the past it took the army less than a day to take a beach and drive inland
>it took the Muhreens several days to even get on a beach, let alone drive inland to a jap base. A fucking Nippon base for Christa sake.

No u.
>>
>>28340129
>liberuls love marines
ayyy what planet and dimension is this?
never could get rid of the baby killer title and ticking ptsd time bombs label
this new place sounds cool
>>
>>28340070
Beaners? Pretty fucking good
>Yay I have a job!
>carrying this rucksack sure is easier than laying tile for Tio 18 hours a day!
>HOLY SHIT HEALTH INSURANCE! I'm not gonna have to work til I'm in my grave to make sure my eleventieth daughter doesn't die of dysentery!
>citizenship.jpg

Niggers and 'Ricans have pretty piss-poor morale.
>ayy dis cracka try'na ged us to do summat! Well FUCK him!
>Joo jus' makin' me work cuz' I'm black!
>*smokes crack on duty*
>*sells drugs out of his barracks room*
slash
>maaaaan, why'd I ever leave NYC?
>heyooooo mamacitaaaa~
>*something spoken that's not english, spanish, Mexican spanish, or even ebonics, sounds like someone trying to speak Portuguese while sucking a dick*
>*rape charges*
>sexual assault charges*
>can't ever seem to be awake before noon
>shitty tinny pop music (seriously it's worse than beanermobile mexi-rap)
>>
>>28340172
>watch a black E3 greet (old, crotchety, white) brigade CSM
>"Ey yo watsup mah nigga!"
>never seen again
>>
>>28340199
I refuse to believe this happened but I dealt with my fair share of belligerent niggers in the corps to see this happening
do you think he was executed via knifehand?
Maybe a bunch of E-8 and 9's tortured him and at the end Mattis shows up and puts his hands through the back of their skull?
>>
>>28337074
I'm an Army officer.

Marine officers have very high physical fitness standards. Look up the Marine fitness test. You basically need to be able to max it out. I've never known a Marine officer who couldn't do it consistently.

Promotion rates for officers are garbage. I think only around half of lieutenants promote to Captain (in the other services, the equivalent promotions are in the upper 80%s at least. Was about 90% in my field in the Army).

Partly as a result of selecting so hard for physical fitness, Marine officers are noticeably dumber on average than their counterparts in other services. The USMC is also much more demanding of their time when not deployed (this also applies to NCOs) with stuff like weekend inspections.

The USMC compensates for how terrible it makes life for all who serve it by forcing the HOOAH DEVILDOG Kool-Aid down their throat. It doesn't always take, but it does often enough to keep a cadre of lifers in. As a junior Marine, you will probably be perplexed by how motarded your superiors are. The reason is simple: if they hadn't bought what the Marines were selling 100%, they would have gotten the fuck out.

tl;dr the only thing better about being a Marine is the PRIDE OF BEING A MARINE, which, objectively, is shit.
>>
>>28337085
The USFJ blotter report begs to disagree.
>>
>>28340032

My
Ass
Rides
In
Navy
Equipment
>>
>>28340259
>HOOAH DEVILDOG
ninjapunch yourself sir
>>
>>28340258
>Mattis
>giving any fucks whatsoever about an Army soldier
Doubtful
>CSM Yates
>beating him to death with a 3-foot-long crescent wrench behind the motorpool
More likely.

Ol' Ricky P. Yates was senile, but was also a certified badass. Finally retired at 35+ years in 2009, had been the brigade CSM since like 2001 and had been 2/82's battalion CSM from 1989-2001. His entire career within the same brigade. Used to tell stories about getting NJP'd in Vietnam (nobody was sure if he had actually been in Vietnam, like I said he was senile but had been around for fucking forever). Fucker still jumped even though he was in his 60's.
>>
>>28340366
since you replied to >>28340172 I thought we were still on Marines
>>
>>28340397
lol all good
>>
>>28340070
desertion is almost a non issue in the us military as its a purely professional force with a short initial obligation. morale wise Mexicans are like any soldier; they bitch and complain but do their job. and ive yet to meet a Mexican that wasn't at least a decent worker and most are hard working as fuck
>>
>>28337134
former Navy here. Confirmed. Did weatherman A school at Keesler AFB and all the fuckin marine dumb dumbs didn't pass the Navy specific portion.
>>
>>28337074
So, why do we still have the Marines?
>>
>>28340562
Someone's gotta be the international scapegoat/immigrant containment branch.

Also, dem A's look sharp as fuck yo.
>>
File: 1437293265856.jpg (269 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1437293265856.jpg
269 KB, 960x960
>>28339994
>Believing Texans are ready to leave at a pin drop

I live in Texas comrade, and I'll tell you right now that's a damn meme and a poor one at that. It's true we have a culture that is very much aware of the natural right to secede if shit gets too bad, but there's plenty of statist fucks here too, so the point is moot. Americans work their problems out, and don't jumo to revolutions (in our own country) as the only solution at the first sign of trouble.
>In my country
Where ya from buddy?
>>
>>28340166
I think he's referring to the Pro Israeli Jingoist media, not the libcuck whinefest media. They're run by the same people, so confusion is easy.
>>
>>28339182
>*Sigh*
>>
>>28340299
The Marines aren't the only ones vending Kool-Aid. You can't get along even as far as I have without sipping at least a little. Stare into the abyss etc.
>>
"Using out dated equipment that the Army doesn't want anymore" specialist
>>
>>28341196
I was commenting on your use of hooah and devildog together
We say oorah, blendinwithnothing camo nigger
>>
>>28339811
I think it's safe to say Russia will fall apart in twenty years.
>>
They look better, that's about it. I never should have come here. Well, guess I at least know what I'm getting into now.
>>
>>28337074

They are far better at believing their own bullshit.
>>
Ethos, spirit, discipline.

Anyone who says that the marines suck at their jobs when compared to the branches is retarded. What I will tell you is that our life is shitter than anyone elses. On the tale end of a fuck 24 hour duty posting just to putting in perspective
>>
>>28338123
>>28337074
Full metal jacket.

kaboom
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 559x447) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 559x447
RMC >>>> USMC
>>
>>28339565
>my knowledge comes from a webcomic: the post
>>
>>28339793
System has changed, no longer like this. Boards don't count for points. Minimum no longer 350.
>>
>>28340562
Tradition / it would piss off the baby boomer vets if we got rid of them.

They'll be gone after the boomers are dead.
>>
So marines are a "second land army" thats worse in every regard, and makes retarded procurement decisions?
>>
>>28343458
All British Infantry >>>>>>>>> US Infantry.

Its more of the fact that because our forces are so small we pump so much time and effort into training our blokes.

For basic infantry in the UK its 26 Weeks at Catterick vs the 14 weeks 11Bs.
>>
>>28343338
>They are far better at believing their own bullshit.

Well, there's your answer, OP.
>>
I can say this. The Corps has always dealt with shitty situations and even shittier gear to handle it with, but has overcame with max aggression and that was developed and encouraged through boot camp and barracks life hazing.. but since top brass and politics have worked hard to end harassment and encourage PC and diversity.. the Corps is slowly losing its traits that made their achievements legendary.
>>
File: 1447540318249.jpg (126 KB, 452x308) Image search: [Google]
1447540318249.jpg
126 KB, 452x308
As a PFC stuck on a month long working party rather than going to my MOS school.. I can only pick up trash and laugh at myself for dropping out of college for this..
>>
>>28338378
Amen brother.
>>
>>28339102
So much this. Ugly broads join up so they can finally find males so desperate, those dudes will give the ugly hoes the attention that they didn't get from daddy.
>>
>>28339861
>>28339815
not only are all niggers pogs, they all get so fucking mad at you for making them work.

especially nigger SNCO's who act like they dont have to do pt or their job anymore.
>>
>>28343901
At the same time, we start with Americans, you guys start with the same lot that that think that someone living off of welfare is entitled to their dream wedding at the state's expense.
>>
>>28338813
This

All of the counter points against Marines are really not that extreme, but /k/ has historically rustled jimmies against Marines, although not specifically the Marine Corps.
>>
>>28338092
Wastes*
>>
>>28339414
>cheating

How? Iron Sights are easier. The only thing an ACOG does is give you a better sight picture of the target, it's not necessarily any easier to shoot, especially when you are calculating wind calls on top of your hold because your Optic isn't zeroed correctly.
>>
>>28338882
Marines have to do three pull up minimum, overhangs or underhand. Most men do 17-20
We also qualify out to 600yds, now that we adopted the RCO
Everyone shoots pop up targets in MCT, Armybro. And doesnt good enough fast enough mean that the bad guy is dead before he can shoot your mate?

I agree though, too many similarities, but not the same.
>>
File: 342600.jpg (47 KB, 460x536) Image search: [Google]
342600.jpg
47 KB, 460x536
>>28337074
>am a Marine
>loving the inner services rivalry

Seriously haven't heard any good corps insulting since I was with the army in Iraq. I'm not diluted into going RAH YUT YUT KILL but I'm not a "pffft, the marines ain't shit, can't wait to get out and smoke weed."

I can't comment on who's better and shit cause I just don't know their training. Sure I see it on Discovery but I've also seen our boot camp on there annnnd no. Funny how it gets lighter and all the angry fucks disappear when the cameras come on.

But as I understand it when it comes to quality of life in services it goes
Air force
Army
Navy/Marines...and I say that cause fuck being on a boat perminatly as a squid.

As for "how sociably fucked in the head when you get out" yea marines have that far ahead of everyone. I can't count how many times I get asked " why are you telling".

What I can say is the marines are full of retards that require you to lose your shit and get loud and be violent because when PFC fuckass gets a DUI on base that is after running from the PMO on the same day he courthouse married the stripper/waffle house waitress. Words do not work and it lessons must register on an emotional level.

Everything I have to say about the Marines sounds bad. But I don't regret any of it.
>>
>>28340700
Hes probably from bum fuck no where (Afghanistan) posting on a proxy so his government doesn't kick down his door and hang him.
>>
>>28344270
Isn't that normal. As a german fallschirmjäger conscript they all lined up to punch me in the gut when I got promoted.
>>
The level of butt hurt jealousy in this thread is outstanding. Haters gotta hate. Carry on faggots.
>>
>>28345018
>they're just jealous
This is what every child who gets picked-on in school is told by their well-meaning mothers.
>>
>>28345062
I doubt Marines are worried about being picked on by other services. Keep drinking the haterade.
>>
>>28344934
I just remember at MCRD my heavy punching me repeatedly in the chest until my actual chevrons dug in my skin..teach me to go to college lol
>>
>>28345507
Marines are defined by their inferiority complex. They are fully aware that they, as a branch, are really just a piece of the Navy. They are aware that they are the smallest. they are aware they are the poorest.

They wear they "Our lives are shitty, b-but that makes us tougher, right?" like some kind of a badge.

Literally, the only thing the other branches envy the Marines is their blues.
>>
>>28345639
Keep trying to convince yourself.

Look at who is putting out all the effort to put down the Marines. Uncle Sam's Misguided Children don't care,
>>
>>28340562
Those sexy as fuk Dress Blues.
>>
>>28343338
/Thread
>>
File: rdn.jpg (92 KB, 650x704) Image search: [Google]
rdn.jpg
92 KB, 650x704
>>28346099
>Implying you're a Marine
>>
>>28343887
I'm not sure they make their own procurement decisions except for uniforms and the sidearm.
>>
>>28344286
That pic is funnier with the caption
>Found the LT
>>
Marines are more hardcore. I'm not saying they're better, and alot of them are obnoxious entitled shits, but they DO push themselves harder. The physical tests are harder and they train every single member of the corp to be a rifleman, which is next to pointless for a non infantry MOS, but there you have it.

So in practice? No, not really, but they do TRY to be better. Overall the only thing they might be better at than other branches is in their infantry, and even that's debatable.
>>
Infantry
>>
>>28338159
> in order to be considered equal to a marine grunt, you have to be the "advanced" group of the others branches!
>>
>>28337074
Anyone willing to run towards the gunfire, marine or not, is respectable in my book.
>>
>>28346139
And how do you know I'm not?

Since you asked....2111/small arms repair. I did my time, but I've been out for over 25 years.
>>
>>28346529
Fucking armory. Fuck you so much. I swear to god you fuckers just take the rifle through the slot, step to the side out of view for 5 seconds, then give it back saying "bolt still dirty devil". Been on the range since 3am and I have to stay even later than the rest of the week cause y'all ain't happy unless we do the back and forth at least 3 Fuckin times.
>>
>>28346617
I never stepped away from the door. I rubbed the q-tip on the heel of my boot while you weren't looking. Showed you the dirty q-tip and handed you your rifle back. Fuck you very much.
>>
>>28346529
>I did my time
>POG
>implying you did shit.
>>
>>28346684
I freely admit that I didn't do shit, and consider myself lucky for it. Don't be angry, somebody has to do the light work.
>>
>>28346684
>underrated
>>
>>28346747
I bet you're still the same fuck who tells other people that the Marines are tougher because everything is so much harder for them.
>>
>>28339938
He said the Marines wouldn't take him with an HSD but the army would.

He literally wasnt good enough
>>
>>28346672
>Showed you the dirty q-tip and handed you your rifle back

Ok fuckin you. I know there isn't gum in my fuckin rifle.I can see how y'all were angry little pricks being stuck in a hole in the ground with no sunlight all day. Seriously in Oki you guys were in an old referbed bunker like 15 feet down through a steep ass stair case. Like Gollum in that cave the lot of you.

>>28346684
I love this meme. "Fuckin POG didn't do shit" yea I didn't except get out with a marketable skill that landed me a great job without any college mean while I throw money at the cannon cocker to fix my bike cause he's older than me and still dosnt know what he wants to do with his life so he works the parts counter at harley.
>>
>>28346820
I don't know what the standards are now, nor do I care to look.

We qualified at longer ranges and ran longer distances.... take that however you want.
>>
>>28346845
>>28346672
>>28346617

>cleaning weapons after shooting off the side of the ship
>hand weapon to 0352 Sergeant for inspection since no armorers
>wipes q tip into trigger housing group
>q tip breaks
>Sergeant tries to get it out unsuccessfully
>"you have q tip in your trigger housing devil dog, that's an automatic fail. Did u you even clean this?" Hands it back to me
>ay ay saren't
>>
>>28346893
When they did that back and forth shit I would just take it back outside. Hand it to my buddy. Go smoke and joke for 15 mins. Come back and turn it in. Seriously they keep count of how many times you go to that window and the magic number is 3.
>>
>>28346845
I didn't say gum. I meant the black polish on the back of my boot. The real trick was to dirty the qtip first, stick it in the port opening without you seeing it first, scrub around a moment, then let you see the dirty qtip.

Being in the armory wasn't a bad place to be, kinda a private clubhouse.
>>
>>28347016
Ahh well I was in during the khaki boots. I bet it was nice being to yourself down there check each other's bores. I wondered why my compensator would smell like shit when I checked it out.
>>
>>28337311
pretty much everything that you said can be found in the army. Especially that giant steaming turd that is called the "big army"

fuck man. in TCCC they fucking showed us a video of an ARMY unit in iraq just putting a field dressing on a gunshot wound. didnt even put gauze in it, just slapped a dressing on it and this course was taught by ex army SF and ranger medics
>>
>>28346893
That's pretty fucking funny actually, I would laugh my ass off
>>
>>28339044
because the army doesn't do any of this.
>>
>>28339245
if your example country as AShM you can be god damn sure they will have SAM
>>
>>28347076
You got the shitty rifle treatment? You must have pissed someone off. Yes, we wiped our asses with parts of you rifle. It was a stupid joke, but we laughed because we knew you would sniff it.

All that being said, Semper Fidelis mother fucker. I hope Christmas was good for you.
>>
>>28339739
It really isnt bad. Everyone who complains is a upper middle class boot who is used to being spoiled by his parents 9 times out of 10 and is mad that his corporal told him to clean his room.
>>
Marines talk a lot of shit and are self absorbed assholes who all think they are creations of ares

this is a bad thing for combat?
>>
>>28343901
you do realize training doesnt stop after basic right?

The brits are good guys but ive dealt with brit idiots as well.
>>
>>28337134
how to read
he's asking the opposite of that.
Answering "literally nothing" means the Marines are the best at everything.
>>
File: 1445523046458.jpg (282 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1445523046458.jpg
282 KB, 1920x1200
>>28339245
>or your dictatorship back
>>
File: 1451283253914.png (959 KB, 1080x1325) Image search: [Google]
1451283253914.png
959 KB, 1080x1325
I'm planning to join the marines (OCS) as a back-up plan after graduation if I didn't get any job at all, how worth it if I join the marines, going for intelligence MOS, spend a few years to get the experience and qualifications, before quitting to become a normal human being and apply for a civilian job

How worth is being a O-1/O-2 in the marine for a few years on my resume?
>>
>>28347688
It's good. Navy or air force are probably better, especially for leaving you with marketable skills. Not to mention they have state of the art intelligence equipment, not gear the army threw out.
>>
Make enlistment commercials.
>>
>>28347688
Marine are good if you want to get killed in the next war because you are using AAV's like abrams
>>
>>28337074
https://thepopulist.wordpress.com/never-faithful-the-rivalry-between-our-army-and-marines/

The marines are literally army 2.0 and we'd save so much money by merging the two branches.

>Having one budgetary authority for the Armed Forces, and one chain of command each for land forces, ships, and aircraft makes sense. But this would have placed the US Navy at a distinct disadvantage. The Navy had their own air wings aboard their carriers, and their own army, the Marine Corps.

>The Navy and Marine Corps were determined to scuttle this legislation. Marine generals created a secret office code named the Chowder Society to lobby behind the scenes, (in opposition to their President and Commander in Chief), and thwart the unification bill before Congress. The Commandant of the Marine Corps even made an impassioned speech before Congress to plead for his separate service.

>It worked. Congress rejected the Truman administration’s unification bill, and instead passed the National Security Act of 1947. This Act guaranteed separate services, with their own independent budgets, and was a victory for the Navy and Marine Corps.

>In addition, the Marines succeeded in having their separate force structure written into the language of the legislation. It is very unusual for Congress to dictate the actual composition of a military service. Yet the National Security Act mandates that the Marines Corps must maintain “not less than three combat divisions and three aircraft wings and such land combat, aviation, and other services as necessary to support them“.

>President Truman was furious, and military professionals were appalled. General Eisenhower characterized the Marines as “being so unsure of their value to their country that they insisted on writing into the law a complete set of rules and specifications for their future operations and duties. Such freezing of detail…is silly, even vicious.”
>>
>>28347688

Marine O-2 checking in. My time in has been chill as fuck, but I'm on the wing side so YMMV.

As far as a resume point goes, what do you want to do after? Business schools will eat that shit up with a good GMAT score.
>>
>>28337074
>What is a career that an officer could have in the marine corps that is better than all of its equivalents in the other branches?
JAG

>war starts

Army JAG
>just keep doing law stuff

Navy JAG

Air Force JAG

Marine Corps JAG
>law is for faggots, jarhead! here's a rifle platoon, go kill some bad guys for america!

That's what I heard, anyway.
>>
>>28337085

Yes because being told what to do all the time while the DI spits in your face for one small fuckup that you did not even do is pretty good self discipline.
>>
File: 3GBBLkm.png (523 KB, 628x625) Image search: [Google]
3GBBLkm.png
523 KB, 628x625
>>28351751

I'm currently studying Political Science (National Security option) and Geography, double major, and Arabic minor, I'm learning on HUMINT, GEOINT/IMINT, and kebabs

My plan is to get a job on Langley or D.C/Quantico (FBI) right after graduation, but since those two jobs are very competitive, I'm putting going to marine OCS as the final back-up plan, trying to get 02xx mos (0203)

If I went to the marine path, 1-2 years after MOS school to get some experience, I would drop and apply for the second time to Langley or D.C to get my dream job

Even if I didn't get accepted tho, I'll stick on the marine and do the job and see what the future offers me
>>
>>28351965

Sounds good, although if you are invested in the intel route which it seems you are, Army/Navy have better developed intel communities. USMC intel is MAGTF-centric but I suppose for your purposes it wouldn't matter. Also, your selection into the intel community wouldn't be assured, you'd have to compete for it at TBS. There are generally few slots and they generally go to studs who did better.

Would you be ok with being a supply, infantry, logistics, comm, or public affairs officer? Just a couple of things to consider.
>>
File: 1451087958738.png (386 KB, 806x908) Image search: [Google]
1451087958738.png
386 KB, 806x908
>>28352076

I wouldn't mind going infantry, supply, MAGTF, armor/aav, but not comms or public affairs

How does one get into the MOS that they want? Do they list the MOS they want from 1 to 3, or you just give them one MOS and they'll take care of it?

I did AFROTC for one semester before dropping out because the military science, LLAB, PT class and stuff like that overloads my credit hours while I'm trying to double major and minor, same reason why I didn't change into NROTC

>also
Do you apply for your MOS during OCS or during TBS?
>>
>>28352317

Near the end of TBS, you'll list all the MOS's available to Marine officers in order of preference, IIRC it's around 26. The respective platoon commanders will then slot you based on performance and availability.

The only thing you'll have going in prior to TBS is a Ground, Law, or Air contract. There are a few competitive air slots available usually but I don't think you're interested as that confers a 8 year obligation post winging.

http://www.usmcofficer.com/the-basic-school/marine-officer-mos-list/
>>
>>28352419

Hows TBS feels like? Do we get treated like during OCS, or its more 'laxed' than OCS?
>>
>>28354126

and do you stay at the barracks, or you get "officer" housing considering you're basically 2nd lt at that time during the whole training?
>>
>>28338379
I'm sorry but >>>/pol/ is that way.
>>
>>28340782
>>>/pol/
>>
File: 1321804763786.jpg (62 KB, 594x383) Image search: [Google]
1321804763786.jpg
62 KB, 594x383
>Little brother signed up for MUHREENS straight out of HS despite being a natural at welding and having several job offers
>mfw
>Wanted to see combat in some capacity but wasn't enough of a dunkass to sign up as infantry during peacetime so he went for MP with an eye towards going SF later
>Right around MEPS it finally sunk in that virtually everyone around him was an idiot and/or fuck-up
>Whoops lol you can't try for SF until 2018 at the earliest
>Ended up as a brig guard in Japan climbing the walls in anticipation of getting back stateside and eventually getting the fuck out

For someone as smart as he is, my little brother sure does some stupid things from time to time; I'd like to imagine that he's not going to buy a motorcycle or a new truck and then wreck it, get covered in shitty tattoos and/or get some flip/mexican/etc. girl pregnant once he gets back to Pendleton but wakarimasenlol.
>>
>>28337074
Not commiting suicides, probably.
>>
>>28354126
More lax. At OCS they try to fuck with you to make you quit or screw up and get kicked out. At TBS they are testing you to see how competent you actually are.
>>
>>28339994

Not quite. Do you know just how FUCKED we would be if we left the good old US of A?

Verily.

We have important economic areas of interest that Uncle Sam probably wouldn't let go without a fight.

What happened the last time Texas left the Union? You tell me.
>>
Since the Marines seem to be congregating for once; has anyone done MECEP?

98 ASVAB score, wanted Infantry (had a signed Job SOU) but got forced into Comm in boot camp. Original plan and one I'm trying to stick with is to hit Sergeant and put a packet in but I don't really know much about how that would go. Still a lowly Private however so I'm sure there's much to learn.
Thread replies: 246
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.