[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /k/ feel about the Browning Hi Power? My grandfather
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7
File: browninghprhprofile.jpg (75 KB, 585x347) Image search: [Google]
browninghprhprofile.jpg
75 KB, 585x347
How does /k/ feel about the Browning Hi Power? My grandfather gave me his before he died, his was an FN Hi Power. Which ones are built best? Which are rarest?
>>
>>28336955
The Mauser 80SA is the best, anything else is untermensch.
>>
>>28336955
The best 9mm. Only CZ-75 compares to it.
>>
This a good thread to ask this. Is the safety supposed to be stiff as fuck? I could just be a bitch, but I can't manipulate with just my thumb. Is there a way to fix this without giving it to a smith?
>>
>>28337394
That makes sense, I was shooting very tight groups the other day with it. It's one of the most comfortable 9mm handguns I've had the pleasure of shooting.
>>
>>28337469

I used to have the same problem. Just pop the safety out, clean/oil it and re-assemble.

If it's still stiff, take it to a smith.
>>
>>28337583
Will do, I've only given it a quick cleaning so far. I'll see if a full detail strip and cleaning will help.
>>
Nice gun. I've shot quite a few of them and I like them.

The reason the safety is so ridiculously stiff is the safety pivot pin is also the hammer pivit pin, and the HiPower has a freakin' motorcycle shock absorber spring for a mainspring. The detent for te safety is also captive in the safety tumbpiece itself. It'll never be as nice as the average 1911, but you can get close.

If I were you, I'd save my pennies and send it to Cylinder and Slide or Novacks for a trigger job, and have them go over the safety while it's there. It might make sense to get the safety with the larger paddle at the same time.
>>
>>28337615
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in the back of my mind if a good cleaning doesn't help. For the trigger job, do they remove the magazine disconnect or just work around it?

I'm debating on whether or not I should remove mine now, since it supposedly helps with the "gritty" feeling in the trigger.
>>
>>28337469
Its "supposed" to feel a lil mushy. Not sharp like a 1911. But it should switch without too much effort.
>>
File: IMG_20151227_184645_017.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151227_184645_017.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
1985 alloy frame fn hipower. Removed the lanyard ring. Slim grips. 15+1 with mecgar mags. My iwb edc. I'm in love with this gun. Weighs the same as the g19 but way thinner.
>>
File: IMG_20151227_184549_862.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151227_184549_862.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>28337816
Sorry for. Potato.
>>
File: IMG_20151227_184623_847.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151227_184623_847.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>
Where can a EUrokek get an ambi safety for a Hi-Power? Local gun stores don't sell aftermarket stuff for anything that isn't a Glock, while US-based online shops don't cater to overseas customers.
>>
>>28337569
>comfortable
Nail on the head.
Unless you have a short thumb, or a thick web, P35 is the ezryder. That why fanbois love them so, and dogpawed glocksters cant even.
>>
>>28337938
Try canadabrass they sell hipower parts online. Based in Ontario.
>>
>>28337655
I have a III w.o. disconnect an a I with.
The III is still a little gritty, but that sidearm is ready for its 3rd barrel and has had the ever lovin shit shot out of it. As much as 20 k rounds. Still better then the I.
>>
>>28337956
I was shooting it along with an H&K USP .45 and a Springfield Range Officer and it was definitely the most comfy of the three, and I'm massive Koch sucker so that's saying something.
>>
>>28338020
And it was a gift from your grandpappy!
>>
File: sadkitty.jpg (69 KB, 356x255) Image search: [Google]
sadkitty.jpg
69 KB, 356x255
>>28338344
That dude had so much cool shit in his safe. I don't remember it personally because I was only around 3 at the time but he had a bunch of nice Marlin lever actions before they got bought out, a bunch of custom tooled 1911s and other quality handguns, but the jewel in my eyes was his preban Steyr Aug A1. His remarried wife however kept leaving the windows open (he lived in the mountains in Colorado) and he died from pneumonia while recovering from lung cancer. That bitch changed his will and sold everything in his safe except for the Hi Power and a Remington Model 1100 my dad got from him before he died. I bet he is rolling in his grave right now because she double crossed him.
>>
File: BHP new 2.jpg (464 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
BHP new 2.jpg
464 KB, 1280x960
I love mine. I CC either it or a Walther PPS depending on what I'm doing/where I'm going/what I'm feeling. Mine is just an old 1991 dated FN produced Israeli police surplus gun I bought at a local shop and had Cerakoted.
>>
>>28339684
OK so mine has fixed front sight. Fn manufature. No dovetail. And slabside grips. And non ambi safety. So its a mk1? But it was made in 1985? Wtf. Someone please explain.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.