[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/k/, what is the point of attack helicopters? It seems like you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: AH-64_04.jpg (258 KB, 1500x1003) Image search: [Google]
AH-64_04.jpg
258 KB, 1500x1003
/k/, what is the point of attack helicopters? It seems like you can do everything that you can do with them using a tank/vehicle since they can still not be hindered by geography by using radar/sattelite weapons that shoot over obstacles.
>>
>>28335854

loitering.

stand-off weapons in interdiction and attack roles.

low profile recon.
>>
>>28335854
>It seems like you can do everything that you can do with them using a tank/vehicle

except...flying.
>>
>>28335854
>radar/sattelite weapons that shoot over obstacles

I'm sorry OP but you went full retard on this one.

delete your shitty thread and end your life, you're not allowed to post here any longer.
>>
>>28335854

They get there fast.
>>
>>28335854
Only one country has the ablity to fire an AA missle with one platform, target with another, and hit a moving flying target over the horizan, and thats america.
>>
>>28336118
> loitering
Nothing loiters like a Chally full of beer.
>>
>>28336149

He will be right eventually. OTH is the next logical step for ATGMs. An Israeli missile already does it - a helicopter can fire OTH and then find the laser designator after getting to waypoint. No reason for them not to put it on tanks/APCs.

>>28336155

You misspelled "The Jews."
>>
>>28335854
Their point is to compensate for the fact that the Air Force doesn't do CAS properly and the Army can't have fixed wing aircraft.
>>
>>28336208

3/10. Sort of original / apropos, but not amusing.
>>
>>28336204
>P ELITE

not even once
>>
>>28336204
Nope. CEC for the SM-6.
>>
>>28336221
The Apache is just a Cheyenne made affordable.
>>
>>28335854

Choppers can hover, and they can take off and land vertically. That gives them unique capabilities that no plane can match, not even stovl planes like the av8b.
>>
>>28336191

if you lift it with a crane maybe
>>
File: ah-56-photo5.jpg (202 KB, 1200x952) Image search: [Google]
ah-56-photo5.jpg
202 KB, 1200x952
>>28336248
And really, really, slow.
>>
>>28336243
>>28336247

>"Non Line Of Sight" is an ultra long range version of the weapon with a claimed maximum range of up to 25 km (16 mi). It is larger missile with an overall weight of around 70 kg (154 lb 5 oz) that can be launched from the ground or from helicopters. It was developed following lessons learned in the Yom Kippur War, which showed a need for a high-precision guided tactical ground-to-ground battlefield missile. Codenamed Tamuz (תמוז), the first variants entered service with the IDF in 1981, though this was not revealed to the public until 2011.[14][15][16] In a deal concluded on 6 September 2011, the South Korean government has agreed to purchase an unknown number of Spike NLOS missiles

>>28336243

>not knowing PJs are best CQB

>>28336247

If we are talking big-boy missiles and not ATGMs, there are a shitton that can do that. Pretty sure Tomawhawk could terrain follow and then switch to optical and go through a window.

>>28336248

I am not sure what the point is here, though I could be missing it. Pavehawk is best helicopter. Shit's out PJs, and PJs are best CQB.
>>
>>28336274

>there will never be a War Thunder-like game but for helos that feature rare birds like this
>>
>>28335854
Mobility.
>>
>>28336282
>ground to ground

Way to read what i typed fuccccccboi.
>>
>>28336269
Loiter as in mobile pillbox loiter.
Loitering as in staying in a fixed position for a period of time.
Loiter as in Definition of loiter. loi·teredloi·ter·ing. 1 : to hang around somewhere for no good reason
>>
>>28336297

Quote it, I don't know who you are. I am replying in the context of OP's question which seems to be "What can helicopters do if tanks can shit out OTH munitions just fine?", to which some replied "Nuh uh."

>>28336300

Helis can get a better angle though. Which really WILL become fairly redundant soon, but isn't yet, and definitely hasn't been since helis came into use.
>>
>>28336288
>war thunder will never have helicopters or go past the 1950s for planes and tanks
fucking gaijin and their quest for "balance"
>>
>>28336337
Quest to suck slav dick
>>
>>28336357

Merry Christmas faggot. Seriously though, hope you had a good one.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.