[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A new material is invented which has the thickness and weight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 9
File: yellowknight.jpg (2 MB, 1134x1799) Image search: [Google]
yellowknight.jpg
2 MB, 1134x1799
A new material is invented which has the thickness and weight of full plate armour, except that it's entirely bullet proof except to the most high powered rifles. Soon nations are equipping their soldiers in this full plate armour.

How does warfare change?
>>
>>28331800

Soon nations are equipping their soldiers with high powered rifles.
>>
We squish them
>>
Soon countries start investing more money in the Air Force and long range artillery capabilities.
>>
>>28331800
rpgs and grenade launchers for everyone
worked in battlefield and cod
>>
>>28331825
This.

And a lot more shaped charge weapons.
>>
>>28331800
>has the thickness and weight of full plate armour

Like, all the time? Is it impossible for the material to be more or less than X mm thick? Does a block of the material weigh Y lbs regardless of how much of the material is present?

Irrespective of that, everyone goes back to .308 and nothing changes.
>>
>>28331859
Well it can be made however thick they want, i just meant, at that thickness, it will stop almost any round. It would still stop .308
>>
.50bmg bullpups would suddenly become very practical.
>>
No military would put that on their infantry, they'd just up-armor their vehicles even more and stronger explosives/propellant technology would come up to match, such as magnetic propulsion
>>
>>28331800
>a nation starts fielding weapons that can penetrate it easily (full rifle cartridges/whatever mary sue maguffin is necessary)
>nations start fielding armor twice as thick to counteract it
>just design better dakka
>moar armor
>up to guys fielding high caliber recoilless refiles and small caliber gauss style weaponry
>also normal tanks, LAVs, artillery, aircraft, etc. exist and infantry don't win wars
>>
>>28331800
Depends on how much it would cost.
Probably do what >>28331951 said, just upgrade vehicle armor.
On a foot patrol? Sucks to be you.
>>
>>28331889
>at that thickness

What thickness?
>>
File: Leader50A1-2.jpg (54 KB, 930x530) Image search: [Google]
Leader50A1-2.jpg
54 KB, 930x530
Leader 50s scaled down to .338 Lapua and loaded with SLAP
.338 Lapua medium machine guns
More use of explosive and thermobarics
>>
>>28331938
>.50bmg bullpups would suddenly become very practical.
They would just make new weapons.

Rounds with tungsten cores like the 6.5x25 CBJ but bigger or APDS. Or just bigger rounds with a shaped charge depending on what's best.

OP hasn't specified how his new fantasy material works so we can just speculate.
>>
>>28331984
Plasteel!
>>
>>28331984
>6.5x25 CBJ but bigger

6.5x25 CBJ meet .458 SOCOM
>>
>>28331993
Well does it shatter like ceramic or does it work like steel?
g11, abakan an 94, 6.5x25 CBJ, shaped charge. All different ways to get more penetration but they are not effective vs all material.
>>
God that's a lovely suit of armor. It isn't Milanese though, and not Gothic. Looks like some kraut studied the Milanese and got almost everything right. Does OP know who made this suit, and where?
>>
Rev up those canisters
>>
>>28332003
>Plasteel is a type of advanced synthetic material that has the consistency of plastic but the tensile strength of a steel alloy
>>
File: WarNeverChanges.jpg (327 KB, 2080x500) Image search: [Google]
WarNeverChanges.jpg
327 KB, 2080x500
>>28331825
/thread
>>
File: ptrd.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ptrd.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>28331800
>How does warfare change?
>>
>>28332027
Is that a Stryker MGS in the 2012 picture?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwu3ivAJ68U
>>
>>28332032
looks like it, but i'm not much of a tread head.
>>
>>28332037
>>looks like it, but i'm not much of a tread head.
>strykes
>tread

kek
>>
>>28332059
>big slow things on the ground
>Targets
>fucks i give
>>
>ITT: retards
>>
Napalm makes a big comeback
>>
>>28332069
>smaller even slower things thing on the ground
>unarmored
>keks i give
>>
File: 1442430952189.jpg (44 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1442430952189.jpg
44 KB, 420x420
>>28332100
>implying i'm on the ground
>>
>>28331800
I die WITH HONOR /????>>!
suddenly the battlefield becomes more amusing
>>
>>28331938
At its basic thickness it would stop .50 cal and possibly grenades.
The material acts like steel, so bullets would bounce off. It wouldn't chatter like ceramic plates.
>>
>>28332010
Reverse image search suggests its italian, i agree it look like it was made by a gothic smith copying the milanese style. Whatever it is it's pretty nice
>>
>>28331967
the point of infantry is to be cheap, in large numbers, and fairly mobile
this armor would eliminate the cheapness and some amount of the mobility, so what would be the point? especially when an explosive would fuck up the wearer anyways
put it on light troop transports and aircraft and call it a day
>>
Dude it's a fucking bullet proof armor. They may not send you out in some knight garb, but they'd definitely develop bullet proof vests and plates to cover vital areas. Helmets mos definitely.
>>
>>28332216
I already said it could stop a grenade.
And it's going to be a synthetic material that is easy to produce and cheap. That's why everyone gets it.
>>
>>28332032
>German flag
>PZH2000
>MGS doesn't have a broad turret
>>
>>28332203

> it would stop .50 cal

> but only possibly grenades

confirmed to not knowing shit about wither of these things.
>>
>>28332227
helmets are a waste of resources, I could see body armor though

>>28332234
it would still be too expensive logistically for any large army to deploy on all troops - the cost of manufacturing, transport, and trashing a couple million units of new and old body armors would be a nightmare. It would see use in special operations most likely.

Again, the role of modern infantry is by and large to sit on a hill and say it's theirs, cheaply, not to be necessarily effective in a firefight. this material would see a lot more use on vehicles than anything else - and again, it would cause an arms race to develop weapons that easily defeat it, which from what I can foresee would lead to lots of explosives.
>>
>>28332010
it's a mongrel suit made of unrelated components from the same period/victorian copies to flush it out.

sad, but true
>tfw most harnesses ended up as cast iron gates in the 17th century
>>
>>28332248
Well this is a hypothetical question. It will stop explosions and .50 cals.
How does it change warefar?
>>
>>28331967
>>28332216
OP here. It's not too expensive, the materials are common, like i implied in the OP, nations can afford to equip all their infantry in it.
>>
>>28332256
It's very cheap to produce and stops explosives. There would be no reason not to use it on everyone.
>>
>>28332269
and real nations can afford to issue arms to defeat it.

dust off those G11 blueprints and pull out/rewrite/unratify the geneva convention so explosive small arms ammunition is legal and your mary sue bodyarmor get's shrek'd

>>28332274
>can stop explosives bruh
what kind.

like hell it'd stop a shaped charge with a liquid copper penetrator. or stop the guy wearing it from dying from the pressure wave of a traditional fragmentation grenade.

/v/ is that way kid
>>
>>28332307
>implying we follow Geneva anyway
>>
>>28332307
It can stop all explosives that can be carried and fired by a single combatant.
And the question is how it changes warfare, it's hypothetical. You don't need to question how or why it works. Just assuming it DOES work.
>>
>>28332307
Armour not being perfect didn't stop people wearing it in the past.
>>
>>28332274
>There would be no reason not to use it on everyone.
then why don't we arm every single infantry grunt with the most up-to-date weapons systems available?
logistics is more important that even cost of manufacture in these situations

>>28332317
U.S. never even signed the Geneva convention and you're likely thinking of the Hague convention
>>
>>28332325
most people in the past DIDN'T wear armor though
Only people who were either fairly wealthy or willing to loot dead corpses got their hands on armors, and even renaissance sources say that mercenaries had a bad habit of pawning their shit when they were low on cash despite it being seemingly "lifesaving"
in the end, it doesn't matter what you're wearing, if someone wants to kill you they usually can. Tanking classes aren't viable irl

>>28332320
Newton's Flaming Laser Sword is a philosophical razor that posits that any subject not worth discussing carries no burden of discussion
Your fantasy land super armor that you put no thought into doesn't warrant discussion, even as a thought experiment
>>
>>28332336
>logistics is more important that even cost of manufacture in these situations
I think you're missing the point that op was asking a hypothetical question and already stated that they were equipping their soldiers in it.
>>
>>28332234
>I already said it could stop a grenade
You said it was a hard, bulletproof material. What else does it do that lets it stop a grenade? Which kinds of grenades? Does it protect the wearer from the blast wave, or just the shrapnel? Can it be set on fire with white phosphorus? Is it hermetically sealed? Does it have a tinted visor?

These are questions that require answers.
>>
>>28332343
I don't want to be rude but this is a really uninformed post.

Past is a big term, at various points and places in time most soldiers did wear armour, or i didn't wear armour. And unlike in movies, armour was useful and could save your life. Full or even partial plate really is like tanking, theres a lot of accounts from the last uses of heavy plate armour, saying how men could fall between several enemies and come out mostly unhurt despite being slashed and stabbed and hit. The armour protected them.

Anyway if you think that modern full body armour isn't worth discussing, then why are you discussing it, leave the thread.
>>
>>28332317
>implying the most effective way of stopping OP's superman armor isn't chemical weapons anyway

>>28332320
fine. it's fucking magic. poor nations rather than fielding man portable recoilless rifles and gauss weapondry/ G11 tier caseless small caliber high KE weapons with HEAT ammunition go the cheap route and give each division of infantry a significant light mortar component utilizing VX nerve agent warheads.

we predict with our ultimate /k/ armchair general military knowledge that infantry small arms and armor do not win wars and it wouldn't change a goddamn thing.

>>28332325
it literally did. after we entered the age of pike and shot personal body armor didn't resurface for over 400 years. once breastplates couldn't even stop half powered pistol loads at 15 yards it disappeared completely from the renaissance battlefield.
>>
>>28332336
Yes, we were both thinking of the Hague Convention. My bad, I responded on automatic.
>implying my point doesn't still stand
>implying we follow the Hague Convention either
>>
>>28332358
>Anyway if you think that modern full body armour isn't worth discussing, then why are you discussing it, leave the thread
Translated from fuckboy-to-english:

>Waaaaah! Stop disagreeing with muh fantasy armor ideas! They're really cool, guys; you just don't GET it!
>>
>>28332358
>ur uninformed
>I read a discredited victorian era book/middle school textbook 3 page dissertation on ~600 years of european history amalgamized into anglicized platitudes and I'll have you know...

the shift from pike and shot to early modern armies of musket armed, unarmored soldiers says you're retarded.
>>
>>28332029
God, these guys are so cringe.
>>
>>28332369
>>implying we follow the Hague Convention either
eh, fair enough

>>28332358
>he thinks paid mercenaries or landed nobility comprised the majority fighting force at ANY point in history
>he thinks simple leather or thatched armors actually softened blows from weapons
don't call others uninformed mate
>>
>>28332317
>>28332336
it's pretty damn annoying to keep track of
>the Saint Petersburg Declaration of 1868 bans explosive small arms ammunition
>it is succeeded by the first geneva convention
>which is succeeded by the Hague Conventions of 1899 and 1907
>which was succeeded by the current geneva convention that does not address explosive smallarm ammunition
>>
HOLES

You're a complete retard if you don't believe holes are the essence of any violence.
Bullets ? They make holes, and they also make a hole in your casing since the projectile is gone. Pointy Stick ? It makes holes too. Want to counter a plane ? Holes in the airport If you're using the plane, remember that bombs do make a hole in the air since there is a time when there is void, which explains the big boom.
Guess what, when you're dead you end in another hole, when you were born you came from one.

Therefore you faggy knights will die in holes too.
>>
>>28331800
Simple, we make bullets from the same material.
>>
>>28332461
Nope. You can't do that. The metal in question only occurs naturally in suit-shaped veins, and has to be mined out by chiseling all the rock away from the inside and outside of the metal.
>>
>>28331800
Extreme high voltage taser bolts.
Fries the squishy meatbag on the inside
>>
>>28332499
>suit-shaped veins
>all these buried suits of armor
>probably millions of years old
jesus fuck
>>
>>28332535
Did you just make this into a Junji Ito thread?
>>
>>28332499
>The metal in question only occurs naturally in suit-shaped veins

>>28331800
>A new material is invented

Mary-Suetonium
>>
>>28332499
Well in that case we just build a cannon which can shoot those suits. Check mate.
>>
>>28332539
>>28332499

>THIS SUIT
>IT WAS MADE FOR ME
>>
>>28331800
better armor means better armor piercing weapons.

This is why the repeating crossbow was all the rage against chinese unarmored peasants, while the longbow was all the rage against mercenaries in chainmail.

Warfare wouldn't change that much. If a small caliber doesn't work as well, larger calibers will be invented.
>>
>>28331800
You'd see the OICW
>>
>>28332563
>DRRRR DRRR
>>
>>28331800
so you're saying a material is invented that can stop 308 at a thickness of 2mm?
such a material would be retardedly expensive and there is no chance that a grunt would get his hands on it.
now if you say your awesomium is so cheap you can actually arm the average joe with it, the they would first slap it on armor, aircraft and maybe even ships, because those are more expensive then the average soldier. and if all of those would be upgraded with your new super armor, then, and only then, the soldiers would maybe recieve plates made out of that stuff.
and I mean plates for platecarriers, not plate armor.
>>
>>28332704
Shut up, faggot. It's just a fun theoretical idea. Do you remember fun?

>>28331800
Powered exoskeletons become a thing within ten years, since actuators and motors can be made of and further protected by the new material. This in turn leads to the average infantryman being issued heavier weaponry; APFSDS projectiles and some form of long range shaped charge become the norm. Militaries across the globe shrink in size exponentially, as the expense of equipping even a single platoon becomes ridiculous. This in turn leads to the development of a new class of soldier that lives and trains in perpetuity, abandoning their former lives to become elite super soldiers and justify the expense of their equipment.

Or smaller nations just miniaturize explosives and develop better UAVs, so a ~25lb flying bomb can be dropped accurately on every target for a fraction of the cost of their gucci armor and weapons.
>>
>>28332379
>at various points and places in time most soldiers did wear armour, or i didn't wear armour
Hey look, you found the point where they didn't wear armor!
>>
>>28332725
Continuing your scenario, terrorist drop the use of AKs entirely and only use RPGs
>>
Molotovs.
Molotovs and flame throwers for everyone!

Baked potatoes, Mexican cooking, Lobster Thermidor, etc.
>>
>>28333161
Casualty rate skyrockets due to back blast errors
>>
>>28331800
No.
Not full armor, that's not a very good idea.
super light and thin ballistic plates.
super light AFVs with better protection.
lighter firearms, cannons, missiles.
everything ever is more well protected, but nothing actually changes except a material in use.

There would be no new style of armor, unless it's a new vehicle that takes advantage of the weight savings and protection to say, have a light IFV proofed to 120mm APFSDS and carrying an L/55, on a 4wd chassis with amphib and short hop capability.
>>
>>28331800
Us spend 10 to 20 billion to get a non reliable way of kind of doing to job
Russia makes moar RPG variants
>>
>>28331800
Laugh because shooting soldiers in the head with powerful enough rounds would break their necks or at least concuss them.
>>
>>28331843
>2045
>First one to the rocket launcher wins the war
>tfw korengal vally becomes Blood Gulch
I have been preparing for this moment all my life.
>>
>>28333577
Erase this meme from the face of the earth.
>>
File: 1447197365936.gif (904 KB, 500x532) Image search: [Google]
1447197365936.gif
904 KB, 500x532
>>28332499
>>28332535
>>28332563
>>
File: 12232323.png (579 KB, 600x767) Image search: [Google]
12232323.png
579 KB, 600x767
>>28331800
>Make space marine armor
>Go on a crusade and kill all heretics
>>
>>28332704
Carbon nanotubez, checkm8 m8.

Tbf there are two easy counters: lasers, which while shit at damage are actually reasonably effective at piercing certain types of armor, and shaped charges, which, using hydroplasticity, dgaf about materials strength,

And ofc, if your tech advances half a step farther past CNT into diamondoid level MNT, your ordinary weapons can also step it up. GPMG level firepower in a PDW package, that kind of thing.
>>
>>28333577
Dude, Revision fixed this back in 2013 by attaching a rotating spine that curves around the back of the head so the helmet can dangle from it.
>>
>>28331800
We would make it three times as thick, weld it onto a hydrolic frame, let some Ultimate Weapons type shows film the testing lab, and never actually use the thing because we don't spend eight million dollars equipping one soldier.
>>
File: 1400889312719.jpg (597 KB, 597x1080) Image search: [Google]
1400889312719.jpg
597 KB, 597x1080
>>28333679
>Needing Space Marine battle plate
>Not just being the grimmest motherfucker to ever be grim and dark
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.