[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
would a combat helmet be useful as a regular helmet for skating,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
would a combat helmet be useful as a regular helmet for skating, biking, or generally just taking a nasty fall/hit to the head?
>>
They're inferior to purpose built helmets, but not completely useless.

They're far too clunky and heavy to be a good choice for physical sports. But again, better than nothing.
>>
>>28329300
no
it is for protecting your head from flak and bumping into sharp edges of tank interiors
not much else
>>
the old piss pot steel helmet's were still being used for basic training when i went. they were great for catching vomit when going through the gas chamber.
>>
>>28329300
The weight of a steel or Kevlar helmet could lead to neck injuries if you take a serious tumble say snowboarding, skiing, or skateboarding or something like that. The helmets for those things are light not just for comfort but also because they put less strain on the next if your head moves quickly.
>>
>>28329300
sports helmets are meant to cushion the head when the body has momentum, its protection is majority on the inside as a shock absorb er.

military helmets are typically steel and kevlar and meant to absorb shock from debris from the outside.
If someone threw a hefty rock at your head wearing some military helmet it might ring your ears and daze you for a split second, but it'll deflect the force of the blow. But a bike helmet most likely wont do that very well, especially with sharp high speed artillery debris.

on the flip side if you...fell down the stairs because the inside of the bike helmet or skate board helmet is design to protect any slamming of the head and neck again the floor it'll likely save you. a combat helmet....less likely, more likely to put a bad stitch in your neck.

now if you took the padding from a skater helmet and stuffed it inside the combat helmet with similar support and structure without removing what the combat helm already had.....I guess you're part of that wierd ass "X-TREME" GI Joe series that sucked.
>>
Yes

I was hit over the head by a shovel as hard as the guy could while wearing an M1. Aside from ringing in my ears I was ok.
>>
>>28329831
As other people said, that's because you were using the helmet as planned: deflecting incomings impacts.
When you're falling, it's another thing. It'll probaly hurt your neck
>>
>>28329300
helmets like that are basically just a metal shell with some straps inside to hold it in place, right?
>>
>>28329801
>now if you took the padding from a skater helmet and stuffed it inside the combat helmet

That's pretty much what a modern padded suspension is.
>>
>>28329801
Bike helmets are designed to only work for one hit and crumple. Similar to how cars crumple to absorb impact of a crash
>>
>>28329300
Just leave.
>>
File: EM64775.jpg (121 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
EM64775.jpg
121 KB, 800x400
Just get a Crye helmet, it's a perfect balance. Light, form fitting, and hard.

Middle pic related
>>
>>28330074
Not anymore because of retarded legislation a car doesnt have the material to crusch anymore. For example the hood or the trunk are just too small. To balance that out, some eggheads thought its smart to just reinforce the passangercell. But behold, this led to a higher force on the people inside.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.