[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did the industry push for 300blk over a new subsonic 7.62x39
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: subsonic.jpg (64 KB, 560x425) Image search: [Google]
subsonic.jpg
64 KB, 560x425
Why did the industry push for 300blk over a new subsonic 7.62x39 round? ARs where already setup to run x39 and making a new load in x39 provides a broader market.

It doesn't make sense to stick with the 5.56 parent case to avoid spending $100 on mags and a bolt and then be stuck paying $1.50 per round to practice with your gAyR. It makes sense to have $.25 supersonic practice ammo and then "premium" ammo for accuracy and subsonic use. They fucked it up and prioritized the wrong thing.

Yes, you can make/buy cases and reload to shoot it cheaper, but that is exactly why it's so slow to be adopted. A small percentage of gun owners reload while millions buy 7.62x39.
>>
>>28327907
follow the money
>>
things that are american: 300blk
things that are not american: 7.62x39
>>
>>28327907
can you load x39 in AR mags?
can you take an AK and switch between 2 calibers in a few seconds with nothing but an upper swap?
>>
File: Magazines-DHT-11316-2.jpg (69 KB, 430x404) Image search: [Google]
Magazines-DHT-11316-2.jpg
69 KB, 430x404
>>28327945
>can you load x39 in AR mags?

Pic related.

>can you take an AK and switch between 2 calibers in a few seconds with nothing but an upper swap?

No, but you can do that to an AR to shoot 7.62x39 and have the option to shoot 25 cent ammo. I smell a fanboi.
>>
>>28327942

So, because 'murca? Makes sense for the military, but not for civvies.
>>
Some guesses:

Commonality with standard 5.56 AR bolts.
Commonality with AR mags.
Easy to make/form the brass if you are set up for .223.
Lots of literature already existed on the almost but not quite identical 300 Whisper, so why not?

Other long shots:

7.62x39 has a reputation for poor accuracy (undeserved in my opinion). Why deal with the stigma? Nevermind that 300 BLK isn't exactly known for stellar accuracy...

Barrel twist rate of standard 762x39 barrels is not appropriate to the length and weight they would want to use for factory subs, and they don't want to deal with a bunch of broken cans from guns that can't stabilize the bullet. By the same token, they don't want every ratty AK to get a can thrown on it, then have to deal with baffle strikes from shit commie thread jobs.

Good opportunity for marketing in general and even though few people call it the 300 AAC Blackout, it's one of the few boutique cartridges to last very long. Look at what a shit job Ruger, Federal, Hornady, Marlin, and remington in the past 10-15 years have done in trying to have any sort of longevity with new cartridges. 375 ruger? 480 ruger? 338 federal? 327 Federal? 30 AR? Companies love to try and put their name on a new cartridge. They just rarely stick around.

Just guesses.
>>
>>28327907
Because slavshit is awful
>>
It literally only requires a different barrel, projectiles, and modified 5.56 brass. The bcg, upper, mags, are all the same. AK barrels have no concentricity between the OD and ID, meaning that putting a suppressor on is a bit of a bitch. 220gr subsonic is 75 cpr to buy. Yes, it's a bit of a novelty round due to its current status, but supersonics can perform quite well at distances >300m, and subsonics are amazingly quiet.
>>
Because
>roughly 95% parts commonality
>7.62x39 ARS are garbage
>access to better projectiles
>easily manufactured brass
>plenty if available data
>efficiency
>etc etc etc

It just a standardized wildcat with a long history, made with off the shelf components that works better in its intended platform without being shoehorned in.Why ask /k/ why when there is a ton of material that already outlines exactly why?

Prices isn't really a factor when you consider "modernizing" 7.62x39 would be any better. Nearly every argument against .300 revolves around the fact that a fucking shit load of it has been produced.
>>
>>28327907
7.62x39 ARs don't function worth a shit.
>>
File: 1445585855481.jpg (20 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1445585855481.jpg
20 KB, 480x480
>>28327907

I do wonder why nobody has tried to better tweak the 7.62x39 round for performance in the AK.
>>
>Call .300BLK a meme fag caliber when it was introduced
>Slam it all the time as a useless niche caliber that will soon die
>Go to the range a few months ago
>Guy ringing steel back and forth between 100, 150, 200, and 300 with ease using a Trijicon
>Gun is pistol/suppressor combo quiet
My nec/k/beard autist pride doesn't want to admit that I'm wrong, but I was pretty impressed and envious.
>>
>>28328072

Fudds. Fudds don't like eastern bloc rounds
>>
>>28327918
This, just make up a new bullshit caliber for no reason except for money. I don't see the point of using any firearm caliber developed in the last 50 years. The tech industry does the same bullshit, introducing different kinds of TV resolutions and aspect ratios over the last few years.
>>
The plan was to make .30Blk a saami-spec round not just another snowflake wildcat kike .30JDJ or Whisper or .30/221, so it could eventually challenge 5.56 M855 as a Nato-approved round, so it had to maintain commonality just with cheap GI 30rd mags for tactifudds, but could be made in the millions on the same highrate machines at Lake City etc using current standard components ("just load the 7.62 M80 on the 5.56 cart case") to keep the manufacturing complex and the Service Chiefs happy instead of "we are gonna change everything to exsoviet x39 and new mags".
>>
>>28330990
Joke's on them--we're not likely to change rounds until we switch to LSAT.
>>
>>28331257
wont mater much
300blk has established itself as one of he best If not the most versatile intermediate cartridge amd its gonna be around for as long as we still have ar"s and spent bras to reload
>>
>>28327907
Because AAC saw that .300 Whisper existed so it took them minimal effort to develop.

Because .310-.311 bullets aren't as common for reloaders as .308, and certainly not of interest to any NATO member.

Because x39 STANAG mags are janky as fuck, and anyone with an AR already has 5.56 mags. Same with any nation that already issues something with 5.56 STANAG mags.

Because just needing a new barrel is less complex than a new barrel and bolt. Even if you're swapping the whole upper, it's easier for manufacturers to make one bolt.
>>
>>28328049
You realise those are unreliable garbage, right?
>>
>>28331359

Those particular mags or all x39 AR mags?
>>
>>28328784
>Commonality with standard 5.56 AR bolts.
>Commonality with AR mags.

Already been covered. Those two items come at the cost of $1.50 per round, does it really save you anything as a civilian?

>Easy to make/form the brass if you are set up for .223.

Meh, not as easy as producing a round that you already make brass for....and load.

>Lots of literature already existed on the almost but not quite identical 300 >Whisper, so why not?

I've already covered some reasons why not.

>7.62x39 has a reputation for poor accuracy (undeserved in my opinion). Why deal with the stigma?

Because that's fucking retarded. Hell, call it ".310 Ghost" or some gay bro shit to get over the stigma. Just turns out that all 7.62x39 rifles can shoot .310 Ghost....

>Barrel twist rate of standard 762x39 barrels is not appropriate to the length and weight they would want to use for factory subs

The first possibly legitimate argument you made. Do we know what twist rate would be needed with a hypothetical 220gr bullet design at about 1000FPS? Even if you had to call it something else and it only worked in ARs with the custom twist rate barrels, that still gives those guys factory practice ammo that costs 1/6th what they pay now.
>>
>>28327907
as usual OP is a fag

300blk is a great cartridge
>>
>>28331608

Never claimed that it isn't. It just MIGHT not be the best way to get those results. I think it's one of the best semi-popular all round cartridges for realistic civilian applications.
>>
>>28331544
Do... Do you really think no one has tried to load sub-sonic 7.62x39? Like, you must be fuckin retarded. Did you even Google this? Did you read the results? Can you read?

Actually, nope, you're right. You came up with this idea completely indepentently and it's flawless. This is your validation anon, I agree with you. So does the whole world. No one has ever stepped down this road to find it's disappointing end. It's up to you now. Please anon, spend your life savings trying to make this happen. I'm sure a round developed and then phased out 35 years ago for which no real projectiles or barrels in the right weight or twist for sub sonic performance exist will handily pass up a round using the some of the most commonly available projectiles and brass in the US.
>>
>>28331371
I bought 6 when they first came out. Broke my magazine release after 400 rounds (torque due to pressure on barrel extension was fucking the mag release). Doesn't fully capture magazine release in all magwells. Mag manufacturer claimed it was the rifle. 1000s of x39 through shit asc mags with no issues. Lawl
>>
>>28327907
300BLK is flat-out better and literally everything relevant to it already exists. I'd have an AK in 300BLK if I could without a headache, magazine wells are an objective improvement over AK mags.

Also, fuck your $1.50 bullshit. 220gr Federal is 80cpr and 147gr supersonic is half that shipped to my door.

Fuck your slavshit, rusaboo. Both x39s are tapered cartridges designed for steel casing for cheap production in shitty countries.

I know it's cheap surplus, but that doesn't entitle you to spread your butthurt straight out of the fox and the grapes.

300BLK is way the shit better than 7.62x39
>>
>>28331656
>Do... Do you really think no one has tried to load sub-sonic 7.62x39? Like, you must be fuckin retarded.

Idiot. Of course they have but there are few/no commonly available heavy bullets for that are the right diameter. I'm talking about a modern heavy subsonic 7.62x39 load.

I never said I was completely correct, you are just getting buttmad. Nice non-argument.
>>
>>28331834
>reengineering 7.62x39 for new production
>unironically suggesting a new derivative of a round whose sole benefit is surplus availability and cost
dude
>>
>>28331784

Simmer down, honcho. I am a fan of the round. You are projecting with you butthurt comment. 300blk is essentially x39 in an AR package with optional heavy subsonic loads.
>>
>>28331856
>sole benefit is surplus availability and cost
That's not the only benefit, but that is a major one. Before the 300blk came, there were not many options that performed similarly. Now there is 300 bbc at 3-4 times the cost.
>>
File: 300fagout762wt.jpg (41 KB, 605x641) Image search: [Google]
300fagout762wt.jpg
41 KB, 605x641
>>28327907
>>28327907
300blk is fucking garbage, it was built for two things; piston gas systems and suppressors
AAC made it popular through the CoD honey badger.

Wilson Combat made pic related which is a not literally retarded .30 round to fit in an ar15
>>
>>28330342
the 6.5 Grendel should have been the new standard
>>
>>28331878
You realize high quality subsonic x39 would cost the same as .300blk does now, right? Plus, by the time production of .311 heavy bullets and barrels to stabilize them caught up to current production of .30cal projectiles and .300blk AR barrels (protip: it never would), cost of .300blk ammo will have likely fallen to somewhere between .308 and 5.56 prices.

God damn kid, you are such a moron. You will never have subsonic ammo of high quality in ANY intermediate caliber that is $.25 a round. Especially not this magic heavy bullet cold loaded 7.62x39 since it doesn't fucking exist outside your thick skull.
>>
>>28332212
>CoD honey badger
I have no idea what this is not any inclination to find out, but if by CoD you mean Call of Duty I assure you noone worth my time has heard of it, let alone from some vidya.

x39 is dumb and there's no reason to use an oversized tapered cartridge when you can afford brass cased.
>>
>>28330152
they did, it's called m67
>>
File: 1450590640850.jpg (510 KB, 987x951) Image search: [Google]
1450590640850.jpg
510 KB, 987x951
>>28327907
>Why did the industry push for 300blk over a new subsonic 7.62x39 round?
If you are going to use x39, why bother with a subsonic 7.62x39 when 9x39 fills the same role and does it much better?
>>
>>28332754
Your just being dumb now. You know 9x39 isn't even a thing here in the States and I am sure even for Civilians in RU it isn't as well.
>speaking from a military POV
Get outta here
>>
>>28327945
>caliber swap an AK
>to shoot 7.62x39
Anon I...
>>
>>28327907
>Look, my team and I designed this new x.
>Oh, wow, x looks great! Let me get out marketing team on this.
>Marketing?
>Yes?
>Put this on the internet.
>Can we over design it's purpose and claim that it's the next Sliced Bread?
>Sure! You should totally juxtapose x with y, because y has been around for years and it's the current standard for whatever x does.
>Wait, why did we try to improve y if x is just going to do a similar thing in a different flavor?
Because money, OP. Money is the root of all evil. And women.
>>
>>28332344

The subsonic loads would not be as cheap as the supersonic, correct. There is no getting around that, but you would have a rifle that shoots a common rifle round for cheaper supersonic practice/plinking.
>>
>>28332754
Ammo commonality, economy of scale, existing brass and guns to shoot the round.
>>
>>28334638
Wolf and Tula. 223 at walmart is 6 dollars.
>>
>>28335014
5 at Fleet Farm.
>>
>>28327907
Is 6.5 Grendel dead? For a round that seems pretty good I would hope not.
>>
>>28327942
This
>>
>>28327907
who ever is paying $1.50per round deserves to only shoot Sergi ammo
>>
>>28331329
dont forget opperating in the field and needing redily available parts from you buddy
>>
>>28331653
except it is though.
>accept it is though.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.