[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Despite Mike, are there any other operators with bad vision or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: 1450594248646.webm (1 MB, 960x400) Image search: [Google]
1450594248646.webm
1 MB, 960x400
Despite Mike, are there any other operators with bad vision or is it movie fiction?

It seems to be extremly unpractical to be dependend on your prescribed eyeglasses during action
>>
>implying places that hire operators can afford to be so picky as to rule out people who can operate but have bad but correctable eye sight off hand
>>
>>28327845
doesnt even have proper TD
>>
Im going to be the first to ask: what show?
>>
>>28328099
Movie, Sicario
>>
>>28328074
>doesn't understand proper TD

If your rifle is pointed down range at an immediate threat or target you're damn right your finger should be on the trigger ready to rock and roll.
>>
>>28328074
But that is proper TD. He's pointing the gun at what he plans to shoot. Are you so anal you only put your finger on the trigger in the same milisecond that you fire?
>>
>>28328074

implying the dude wasn't just baiting them and was fully expecting to pull the trigger in 2 seconds.
>>
>>28328130
He wasn't baiting them. He was doing the exact opposite of baiting them. We're not having this discussion again.
>>
>>28328074

finger on trigger only when sights are on target and ready to fire

his sights were on target and he was ready to fire
>>
File: 1440469386908.gif (3 MB, 300x252) Image search: [Google]
1440469386908.gif
3 MB, 300x252
>>28328137
>>
>>28327845
I assume most modern operators just get laser eye surgery.
It's pretty affordable,
Most places offer a discount for LE and military,
And at operator levels of pay,
Why wouldn't you invest in eliminating a weakness that up until recently was untreatable?
>>
>>28328153
>operator levels of pay
I'm not sure about that
>>
>>28328153
You don't realize how little we are paid.

150 extra for jump, dive and halo plus some other ancillary payments don't really amount to much on top of enlisted pay. The bonuses are nice and that's about it.
>>
>>28328153
Anon, there are downsides to laser corrective that would be especially troublesome for an operator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LASIK#FDA.27s_position
>>
>>28328153

>severly impaired night vision

How about no.
>>
>>28328153
>>28328184

you do know the military (US) gives free lasik eye surgery right? even to non oper8rs
>>
File: 1448997256296.png (581 KB, 638x477) Image search: [Google]
1448997256296.png
581 KB, 638x477
>>28328185
I believe LASIK is disqualifying for USAF and some special forces outfits, but PRK is not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photorefractive_keratectomy#Pilots

>tfw -4.5 in right eye and -6.0 in left, with astigmatism to boot
>>
Active Duty Clown here

I want to get laser surgery, but I'm 21. Is that too young? Is it likely that my eyes are going to get worse as I get older?

I have astigmatism apparently, they just told me at my last exam. My prescription is pretty light. I can't shoot for shit on the range, especially not with gay ass ACOGs and their shitty eye relief.
>>
>>28328248
YMMV, but I was told that it's best for your prescription to be stable for 3-5 years before going under the knife.
>>
>>28328248
>Is it likely that my eyes are going to get worse as I get older?
It's pretty much guaranteed, the question is how quickly.
>>
>>28328143
he didn't want to engage because he knew the op was gray area/illegal.

less incidents, less likely to get scrutinized. even though they already killed four guys.

to answer OP, prescription ballistic glasses are a thing. mikes glassed are typical of glasses worn in the field by solders who need vision correction, and are extremely thick for a reason.
>>
>>28328274
My prescription was relatively stable until recently. I had the same prescription from 17-20, and it shot up a little bit with my last exam.

>>28328281
Fuck

My prescriptions were -.5 sphere in both eyes, and -.75 cylinder in both eyes, but that jumped up to -1.25 in both eyes.

I'm not really sure what exactly this means but apparently this is a light prescription.
>>
>>28328244
Why is PRK preferred?

I personally looked into getting LASIK last year because it's been 25 years of wearing glasses and I'm tired of it. Once I realized I'm genetically predisposed to experience low-light halos and perpetual dry eye I decided against.
>>
>>28328368
LASIK leaves a loose flap of epithelium (the surface of the eye). In normal life, surface tension and whatnot sticks the flap down, but a blow to the eye can dislodge it and cause complications. PRK doesn't have that vulnerability; the downside is that the healing process takes a bit longer and is by all accounts a pain in the ass.

>>28328349
Well, I wouldn't do anything without talking to an optometrist. But most people's eyesight doesn't get steadily worse, IIRC. It's just that most people start getting a bit farsighted in their fifties.
>>
File: IMG_2049.jpg (987 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2049.jpg
987 KB, 2448x3264
I don't think they would ever even bother giving me the option, my prescription is so light. I also EAS in 11 months so there's really no way they'd foot the bill for me.

I am kind of shy of contacts. I don't like touching my eyes
>>
>>28328425
>the downside is that the healing process takes a bit longer and is by all accounts a pain in the ass.
Can confirm this.

For a week afterwards you just are laid up in a dark room doing fucking nothing and your eyes feel like they are full of sand, but you can't rub them. Then you are putting drops in them all the time for like 6 months afterwards. By "all the time" I mean for like a month it's literally every 15 minutes and then it slowly decreases in frequency until after about 6 months you just do it as needed and you won't need them anymore too long after that.
>>
>>28328531
Tell your chain of command you'll reup if they give you the surgery, then EAS anyways.
>>
File: 1451130970655.jpg (92 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1451130970655.jpg
92 KB, 1600x1200
Imo its fucked up, lets say there are 6 of you, somebody depend on you and in the middle of action your glasses are damaged

what now?

For people with 20/20 it may sound unrealistically but there are people that are not able to read time from their watch without glasses
>>
>>28328652
>Imo its fucked up, lets say there are 6 of you, somebody depend on you and in the middle of action your glasses are damaged
The same thing that would happen if someone with 20/20 got their eyes damaged, I guess.

He's not wearing $15 glasses from the fucking corner drugstore. Probably the same thing as military issue glasses and those are those things are tough as hell.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.