[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How will cybernetics change the future of warfare? Which nations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
File: Adam-Jensen-300x218.jpg (22 KB, 300x218) Image search: [Google]
Adam-Jensen-300x218.jpg
22 KB, 300x218
How will cybernetics change the future of warfare? Which nations will use cybernetics extensively?
>>
>>28296326
Yes, please spend hundreds of thousands, minimum, to cut up my otherwise healthy body to insert insanely expensive things to barely augment anything. Because, boy, do I love extremely invasive and risky surgeries as opposed to exercise and tuning my body other ways.
>said no one ever
>>
>>28296402

>Said no one ever

That's pretty much a lie, c'mon.
>>
File: 1449888392253.jpg (45 KB, 512x397) Image search: [Google]
1449888392253.jpg
45 KB, 512x397
>>28296402
>Deus Ex tier augmentation
>"barely augment anything"
>>
>>28296402
Yes, I'm sure cripples would much rather keep their "perfectly healthy" body parts. You do not speak for everyone, stop acting like you do.
>>
>>28296668
>>28296597
are you talking major fictional bullshit /v/ tier implants? or realistic ones that you might actually live to see?
>>28296706
they don't have healthy body parts, or they wouldn't be cripples
way to non comprehend what I said
>>
File: silicon implants.jpg (139 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
silicon implants.jpg
139 KB, 1280x960
>>28296326
Japan?
>>
>>28296777
>way to non comprehend what I said

I understood your stupid blanket statement just fine. Not my fault you an incorrect sweeping generalization.
>>
The more valid concern would be willingly putting government property in your body at the expense of your own. What happens when you leave the military? Do they take their shit back?
>>
>>28296839
I would imagine you either keep it, but with the added strings of them being able to keep tabs on you somehow(GPS trackers in the implants),or they take it back(you have to give your rifle and/or sidearm back when you leave)and replace it with bargain basement equivalents.
>>
>>28296326

sarif is the future op

>>>/wsg/828010
>>
>>28296880
Latter is most likely. Government probably would issue basic prosthetics upon leaving the military, and veterans would probably get a discount or voucher on commercial-grade bionics, depending on the company.

It'd be cool to see in a movie or book.
>>
File: XCOM_EW_MECTrooper.png (405 KB, 423x681) Image search: [Google]
XCOM_EW_MECTrooper.png
405 KB, 423x681
>>28296939
You sort of see that in XCom:Enemy Within with the MEC troopers. They have what the game calls base augments, for when they aren't out in the field(and as such, not using their MEC suits)They look well, like they do in the pic, basic as fuck, but functional. Shen even has a little blurb about them, says that they'll be what the MEC troopers use after the invasion is over, to lead something resembling a normal life.
>>
>>28296326
I think russia will use more than us. Their troops are given less options, it will be used in america to replace blown off limbs, there it will be a whole "mechanized battlion"
>>
This faggot is ignoring the fact that simple cybernetic prosthetics already exist
>>
>>28296326
It would change more than you'd think, but less than you'd hope.
>>
File: 1287349072875.png (27 KB, 477x387) Image search: [Google]
1287349072875.png
27 KB, 477x387
>putting brains into robots or just skipping the human part and going full Culture

yes

>spending money augmenting specific parts of the human body, like upgrading the treads or engine of a WWI tank but leaving the chassis unchanged

no
>>
File: powerful-photos-55.jpg (36 KB, 472x337) Image search: [Google]
powerful-photos-55.jpg
36 KB, 472x337
>>28296990
>tfw no qt cyborg operator gf
>>
>You know all the akas: Hamburger. Spam in a can. Infantry's just another word for cannon fodder where you come from: the important battles are all fought in the wires anyway these days, and they're over in nanoseconds. The last thing you want is to end up in some godforsaken shithole where meat still matters, where you've got to splice yourself into a clanking armored exoskeleton just to keep from getting squashed the moment your boots hit the ground.

>You don't want any part of that freak show. It's hard enough getting laid without having cannons for arms.

Why have meat-based cyborgs when you can replace 99% of the army with drones, AI, and unhackable quantum-encrypted command links, and then give the other 1% biotech augments?
>>
>>28296326
Yes, but not like you imagine it.

Synthetic sense of touch/ pressure and temperature, integrated into every facet of aircraft design. This is useful for both AI and Human. Imagine that the machine you are using is a literal extension of your body.

The ground is crushing beneath your treads, you inhale air, taste JP8 and exhale fire.

You feel the airflow increasing in pressure as the transonic speeds are exceeded with a snap behind you.

You are the missile, hungry, your function absolute, screaming off a rail wings deploying, thrust vectoring. Every facet of your being is operating at the bleeding edge, G forces that would liquifiy a man, your body shudders, and it doesnt matter, the microscopic cracks forming are momentary glory as your puruse your quandry before slamming into a jet engine. The link is black, and you are back in your own body, rear seat of a command craft, ready to go again.
>>
>>28301059
You tried too hard, but I like it.
>>
File: x-com cyborg bed time.jpg (550 KB, 1908x800) Image search: [Google]
x-com cyborg bed time.jpg
550 KB, 1908x800
>>28300440
i know that feel
>>
>>28296326
>How will cybernetics change the future of warfare?

If we're talking about real life and not fantasy scenarios?

By the time we get advanced prosthetics on par with deus ex type shit, we'll be at the point where its more logical to simply use drones instead of human soldiers.

As a matter of fact, almost no super-cool future war shit (like space marines) will ever exist, because by that point in the future, drones will be able to do all man can do, and thus it would be more logical to use them rather than the human.

Enhanced soldiers, space soldiers, etc etc...it's the equivalent of those moments in old sci-fi that prompt the viewer to chuckle about how their cell phone is more advanced than the rube-goldberg machines in the film.
>>
>>28296326
>>28300494
>>28302687

Agreed. Why bother with the human at all? It brings up far too many ethical complications and questions about dehumanizing our soldiers.

As much fun as Reddit and Japan have with their cybernetic toys, we're probably decades away from meaningful, reliable augmentations on the level of Deus Ex. There are huge conundrums and leaps to make: battery life, materials strength, weight considerations, stress put on the human component of the cyborg-soldier.

Why invest millions, potentially billions, in unproven and politically-unreliable technologies when we already have the know-how and experience with building and operating drones? Why bother keeping a human component (disregarding arguments as to whether a disembodied brain and organs attached to a cybernetic endoskeleton is still a legal person) when losing a drone to enemy fire, cyberattack, or operator failure is so much cheaper, politically and materially?

>>28300494
>Watts on /k/
Mah nigga
>>
>>28299485

>taking your brain and having it put in a tin can like something out of Wolfenstein

holy fuck that would be horrifying
>>
I think Cybernetics will more than likely be used as a sort of "Information Link". Imagine being able to have battlefield info constantly available in your head, through some sort of implant. If we want to get a bit more extravagant, think of the SOP from MGS4. Being able to "see" and "sense" what your squadmates are seeing and hearing, and being able to give instructions with a simple thought, in the blink of an eye.

On an slightly unrelated note, anyone else kinda annoyed that Jensen's 'Punch through Wall' ability disregarded one of the laws of motion?

>"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction".

Jensen had enough potential energy to break a fucking concrete wall with his arms. Surely all that energy would come straight back at him. Wouldn't it break his fancy limbs, or really fuck up his chest or shoulder? Or does his arm have the same "Momentum cancelling bullshit" in the Icarus Landing System

Also, Sci fi Thread?
>>
>>28303142
Unless you give a drone some level of AI to function autonomously, the enemy might just jam the communications and turn your drone to scrap.

If you do give a drone an AI, then the greater issue becomes at what point must we recognize it as a sentient being, endowed with natural rights. At least this would give those lazy fucking philosophy majors a job beyond fry vat operator.
>>
>>28303235
>sentient being
>endowed with natural rights

Sentience doesn't grant rights. This is a transhumanist idea that has no meaning outside of that framework.

Natural rights belong to the human species. Period. Why? Because we're naturally fucking better than everything else. And if something wants to contest it, let it do so and by force, because that's the only way rights become manifest.
>>
>>28303235

I think you replied to the wrong poster buddy
>>
>>28303368
I think therefore I am? But transhumanism is veering off topic a bit.

>>28303379
I might have had a few too many beers this morning.
>>
>>28303368
To quote my #1 bud Cuthulhu, no lives matter. The reason haveing a human mind to be able to control the body of a drone is that computers are good at a few things but the ability to learn, adjust and adapt is not one of them. The battle field is never a static idea or struggle.
Then the reason why we have "natural rights" and not animals? its because we are the ones who made these "rights" to effect us and only us. Throw 3 people in the woods in winter, naked and no food and give one a knife, after a few hours i guarantee you that the one with a knife killed one of the other 2 for some reason, not giving a shit about their rights.
When your needs of life are in struggle, you don't give a shit about humans rights and you all you worry about is having your needs (water,food,warmth, shelter and a mate)
"rights" are a falicy of man. Your one right when you are born is you are going to die. Dont make us out as some higher being just because we know 1+1 is 2. Because honestly you could live your entire life well with out knowing a damn thing of higher knowledge. For people who shit on philosophy you really need a dose of it.
#nolivesmatter
>>
>>28296326
Combat cybernetics and limb replacements are not worth it. They cannot be part of the natural maintenance system of the human body and require expensive surgery to make use of. Mechanical limbs won't help a person carry heavy loads simply because his arms would just pop off his still very fleshy shoulder sockets. In order for that to work, he would have to replace his entire skeletal and muscular system (aka the entire fucking body) and be little more than a brain in jar. The only thing that would be really beneficial are intelligence and perception boosting implants that might allow soldiers to communicate with each other by thought and have augmented reality vision, however that can be still be done using worn equipment with almost the same effectiveness.

Not cost effective, not time efficient due to surgery recovery periods, not even practical without going whole hog. Why not make a robot or a powered exo / armor instead?
>>
>>28304028
I'd totally become a brain in a jar. I already am really; it's just a fleshy jar. It leaks and often smells bad.
>>
>>28296326
Cybernetics might change up a super spooky outfit, or pimped out mercenaries. But aside from that expect Danny Drone to replace your MOS well before cybernetics would become cheap enough to be considered standard issue.
>>
>>28299485

Culture wasn't about uploading biological sentience to machines though, they were about engineering AIs that far surpassed bios.
>>
The idea of weapons hidden in robot limbs has always been cool to me. I think it would be pretty easy to havea single shot 9mm or even .45 concealed in a finger (depending on how big your hands are), and blades from almost any part of the hand. Perhaps even a 40 mm launcher in the wrist
>>
>>28303142
Well, Jensen always broke through the wall, which means he didn't receive the full force of his punch back into his arm. It's the same principle behind breaking cinder blocks with your hand. If you use enough force to break it and follow through, you'll be unharmed. If your hand bounces off, it's gonna hurt like a bitch.
>>
>>28303368
>armed AI with control of hellfire missiles
>>
>>28296880
Perhaps people who need prosthetics would be offered Deus Ex-tier, super advanced techno awesome augmentations, but you have to pay for them by using them in military/government service for a certain number of years, after which you keep them.
>>
>>28303368
Billy, I don't like you thinking like that. You've been playing too many video games, you can't go around the real world actually thinking like that. Why don't you go outside for a while? It's time we put a serious limit on your video game time.
>>
>>28296326
If we got to the point where we could use cybernetics that are drastically superior to any human body parts couldn't we just use power armor since we'd obviously have the necessary technology to make it work?
Seems kind of wasteful to chop off a guys arms and legs for no reason when you could just stuff him into a suit for about the same general cost.
>>
>>28296939
so thanks for 8 years of service, were going to take ur US GOVT PROPERTY TERMINATOR LEG and replace it with a wooden peg.

oh and heres 25% off your next pegleg purchase

"WARNING PRODUCT IS HIGHLY FLAMMABLE, SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED"
>>
>>28303856
I shit on philosophy mainly because it has nearly not career options past academia. Natural rights are a indeed a human conception that is only applicable within the confines of the social contract. In a state of anarchy or survival all that goes out the window because my life means more to me than your life and nature sure as doesn't believe in the rights of anything. So within the confines of the social contract, at what point would an AI be recognized as sentient, and at what point should it be considered as having natural rights? Does a human, at some point, lose these natural rights under varying levels of cybernetic enhancement?

>but we make machines
But we make children too.

>>28307450
I have to do something to entertain myself while I'm bored at work and wrist deep in tearing apart a busted piece of electronics.
>>
>>28307471
this is the most likely outcome. grunts will be replaced with drones and special operations type humans will have exosuits rather than limb replacements. Sensory/visual augmentations are a possibility however.
>>
>>28296839
>The more valid concern would be willingly putting government property in your body at the expense of your own. What happens when you leave the military? Do they take their shit back?
>>28296880

This is actually a major plot point of the new GitS. Kusanagi decides to leave the military when she gets back from WWIV but the letter from her CO giving her autonomy over her prosthetic body is lost when he is murdered.

So they own any prostheses they pay for.
>>
>>28303506
>I think therefore I am?

cogito ergo sum:

1) establishes that sentient beings can prove their own existence reflexively; it has nothing to do with rights or other importance of sentience.
2) was written by a man who believed muscles were hydraulics powered by a fluid called animal spirits.

sentience based (rather than human based) rights conferral leads to the perverse scenario where its considered more ethical to abort children and resell the parts than it is to destroy some faggot robot built in a factory in Malaysia.

I dunno, something about that doesn't sit well with me, on a very biologically reactive level.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.