[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are carbon fiber barrels a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: Proof-Research-Barrel[1].jpg (76 KB, 958x639) Image search: [Google]
Proof-Research-Barrel[1].jpg
76 KB, 958x639
Are carbon fiber barrels a meme?
>>
yes its a meme and its gaudy
like carbon fiber car parts on most street cars
(if it works and looks good and its real carbon fiber its fine to use on some street cars)
leave carbon fiber to aircraft and race cars
>>
File: 427154.jpg (85 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
427154.jpg
85 KB, 880x660
>>28282711

I think it's one of those things where its still in its infancy, give a couple generations and the benefits Might make sense; looks completely aside. Remember reading some articles about it a few years ago as this promising new technology, only time will tell.
>>
>>28282764
>>28282819

But why though?
Carbon Fiber is proven to be more brittle than Aluminum. Nobody serious makes aluminum barrels.
>>
>>28282834
Because being brittle doesn't matter if you don't break it.

It's stronger, lighter, more durable and has better heat properties than steel (if you design and make it right).
>>
>>28282834

It had to due with heat dissipation I think, I don't remember All the reasons for it. It didn't look like that either, what I saw looked more like traditional carbon fiber.
>>
>>28282834
it's a steel barrel cut down and surrounded by carbon fiber
it's gucci level shit right now
>>
>>28282711

Meme. Not 'milspec' enough. Good for being light, but also, who the fuck cares?
>>
gets you he weight of a pencil barrel with the rigidity/performance of at least a slim profile barrel
so it kinda works
heat dissipation qualities are a non issue, because you wouldnt mag dump with a pencil barrel expecting accuracy anyway
>>
>>28282711
Carbon fiber rifling doesn't wear faster than steel?

If so, how long until barrels become printable?
>>
>>28282869
are you people real?
>>
>>28282834
Pretty sure Armalite seriously made aluminum barrels
>>
>>28282867
Two profiles of the same size won't be the same rigidity (carbon fibre will be weaker) but for a given weight it will be stronger (but several times thicker). It's like fluting but less good
>>
>>28282890
Lol my thoughts exactly. Some of the questions s you see make you wonder
>>
>>28282711
I'm fine with having a steel rifle that may or may not weigh a little.

War is not meant to be easy and ultralight. Steel barrels last a hell of a long time.
>>
anybody metallurgy here? whats the major difference between regular barrel steel 416r vs superhigh quality knife steels like here
>bestpocketknifetoday.com/discovering-the-best-knife-steel/
I cant seem to find rockwell hc ratings for barrel steel, so I have no idea what to compare
>>
File: 1450623104864.gif (1 MB, 283x153) Image search: [Google]
1450623104864.gif
1 MB, 283x153
>>28282869

Damn....
>>
>>28282948
I meant if you wrap a pencil profiled barrel in enough CF to get to HBAR profile, it will have the rigidity of at least a slim profile

>Two profiles of the same size won't be the same rigidity
Wat
>>
File: 1613423152623456.jpg (201 KB, 1914x789) Image search: [Google]
1613423152623456.jpg
201 KB, 1914x789
>>28282849
You can literally break Carbon fiber with your hands.

>>28282862
>Adding more weight without proper function.

>>28282895
>Pretty sure Armalite seriously made aluminum barrels
Only in .22 Hornet.
>>
>>28282971
Heat temper qualities. 7630 tool steel and the like for knives can't take the temps expected of a barrel/ 416r alloy and retain it's rockwell/hardness/temper. All is well and good at "normal" temperatures for knives, but as soon as you start bringing it back up to where you start to see the metal glowing red, you're destroying what makes 7630 and other 'tool steels' strong, it's crystalline structure. That and I'm sure there are other reasons such as the flex rate between the two and whatnot.
>>
>>28282948
Carbon fiber is stronger then steel but less elastic. Some formations of carbon fiber are also excellent thermal conductors (better then steel.)

It's stronger per unit of mass, but bulkier. The barrel would be thicker, shed heat better, and depending on the epoxy or resin or whatever matrix you were using, would be corrosion resistant.

>>28282971

416r is a good stainless steel useful for a lot of applications. It's good for a rifle barrel because it is very homogeneous and easy to repeatably work, so if you want tight tolerances (vital for accuracy) it's good to go. It has good resistance to corrosion and abrasion, so it takes longer for the barrel to wear out.

Carbon steel for knives is harder, with some heat treatments, and easier to sharpen, ironically because it has lower resistance to abrasion (something that doesn't matter much for a knife). It's also slightly more elastic and durable.
>>
>>28283032
Well you can break a carbon fiber with your hands. Or rip a .02mm Kevlar thread.

One stick alone is easily broken. Bundle them together and they are a mighty faggot.

Carbon fiber composite is bulkier but lighter for the same strength as steel.
>>
>>28283032
>You can literally break Carbon fiber with your hands.
Depends on how it is designed, I can bend the shit out of my carbon fiber cleaning rods.
>>
>>28282819
they've been around for at least 9 years
>>
>>28283104
This guy >>28282869
has been around for at least nine years and he still hasnt figured it out
>>
>>28283076
>>28283075

thanks for the info
>>
>>28282834
Toughness (brittleness) isn't the issue, strength and stiffness is. Steel (high-alloy steel, at that, which is much more brittle than your common low-carbon steel) is typically used in barrels over aluminum because it's much stronger and more wear-resistant, and the strength-to-weight ratio is about the same anyways (thus aluminum offers no benefit in practice and many drawbacks). CFRP, on the other hand, is as strong as steel and has a fraction of the density, making for a barrel with similar strength to solid steel at a fraction of the weight.

That said, I'm not convinced it's a very good idea. It's more expensive, I'm sure, and although you do save some weight, the difference in thermal expansion between the steel bore and the CFRP exterior seems like it would potentially cause accuracy issues.
>>
>>28283076
I'm the first guy you quoted, you said what I was trying to say but better (I'm a little stoned).
>>
I'll be convinced by CF barrels when kreiger or bartlein or something starts doing shit with them. I'm sure it will happen eventually, but I doubt the tech is currently where I'd want it to be (and idk if the price will ever be where it would need to be to be worth the switch)
>>
>>28283176
i wouldn't expect an old established maker to do anything with CF because it'd kind of be heretical for them
>>
>>28283189

Agreed, the greats of anything tend to steer clear of potential fads. They will be the last to adopt but if they did they would make it proprietary in some way then it won't be meme-tier but the new Operator standard.
>>
Stolen from operatorchan:

For the same contour, a normal bull barrel will be far stiffer than a carbon fiber wrapped one. But the latter will be far lighter.
Carbon is stiffer than metal if you measure it by weight. However, here it's by volume. And obviously a carbon wrapped barrel doesn't have all that much carbon around it, so it's far from being as stiff.

I guess that if you made a carbon fiber wrapped barrel so thick it looked like a integrally suppressed one, you'd get about the same stiffness. But with the same weight as the steel barrel so we're back to square one.

The only application I see for it is where weight is the deciding factor.

As for barrel life? Well, I've read that the carbon wrapped barrels -supposedly- cool down faster (but I can only see that happen in specifically designed carbon for that purpose). However they also heat up faster. Supposedly for a bolt gun, barrel life is extended by 15% due to this BUT ONLY if you never fire quick strings. On a semi-auto, I'd suspect it'd cause MASSIVE throat & rifling erosion, unless you have a very thick barrel profile which is then carbon wrapped. Hell, I wouldn't even suggest it on a varmint gun.

Now, there is supposedly a work around for this (as I hinted at above), which it laying pitch fibers to radiate the heat out. These transport heat well, so that would make sense. However laying fibers in that orientation is detrimental to your stiffness, since the orientation of the fibers is paramount. So it's going to be very hard to find a middle ground there, since you're basically giving up your reason to use carbon if you:
1) Use carbon set up to radiate out the heat better.
2) Use so much carbon that it comes close to the weight of a full steel barrel.

I can't even begin to comprehend all that shit that's going on internally, with the heat expansion & contraction of the steel vs the carbon.

PS: Any idiots in this thread talking about carbon rifling really need to stop trolling. :(
>>
>>28283282
>I'm going to repeat retardedness so I can get a (You)
Did you read this?

>Carbon is stiffer than metal if you measure it by weight.
>I guess that if you made a carbon fiber wrapped barrel so thick it looked like a integrally suppressed one, you'd get about the same stiffness. But with the same weight as the steel barrel so we're back to square one.
The retard here totally didnt just contradict himself.
>>
CF have great load strength but fuckin shitty impact strength. a rock could damage the damn thing. then you gotta do the whole scarfing, layup, vacuum and heat shit again. not worth it.
>>
>>28283314
>wat are handguards
>>
>>28283306
>The retard here totally didnt just contradict himself.

If you read further there's talk about how to get heat to radiate out, rather than insulate it in the barrel. To do this, you need to sacrifice stiffness.

As such, yeah, you'd end up with about the same weight, if you don't want to insulate your barrel and have it wear out fast if you plan to shoot faster than a round per minute.
>>
>>28283324
>There is more retardedness after the retarded shit you pointed out
>That must mean this retard is right
stay retarded retard, you're going to believe whatever retarded shit you want regardless of wether or not it contradicts itself.
>>
>>28283282
>random opchan poster makes wild speculations on shit he has no idea what he's talking about.
>>
>>28283334

How is it more retardedness?
If the fibers are configured for maximum stiffness, they act as an insulator? If you orient pitch fibers out, they become a radiator.

If you have evidence that this is not the case, please provide a source.
>>
>>28282711
The biggest problem I see with carbon fiber barrels is heat. The resins used to hold the carbon fibers are heat sensitive. Meaning they they take some heat but not a lot of it and if so much heat is applied to the carbon fiber it will eventually lose its bond and fail.

Reason why you'll never see carbon fiber headers or any carbon fiber in environments known to be exposed to high temperatures.
>>
all these poorfags making up excuses for why they can't buy the best barrel technology for their guns.

http://proofresearch.com/the-science/

The aerospace-grade carbon fiber we use is 10 times stronger than stainless steel and has a specific stiffness nearly 6 times greater than steel. But strength and stiffness are only part of the equation. Heat conductivity and thermal expansion are also of paramount importance when developing a match-grade, carbon fiber barrel. Our helical wrapping pattern favors the longitudinal thermal diffusivity of the carbon fibers (along the length of the barrel) allowing them to dissipate the heat emanating from the steel liner rather than insulate it. This is achieved through phonon transport in the direction of the continuous fibers and greatly reduces the mirage effect intrinsic in heavy steel barrels.

However, because our unique bonding agent contains a high-thermal pitch fiber—similar to those proven in Formula One and aerospace applications—our barrels also conduct heat very effectively through the wall (thickness) of the barrel, greatly increasing thermal conductivity and resulting in barrels that stay cooler and maintain accuracy over longer sessions of fire.

After wrapping, our barrels are cured and hardened then ground to their final contour. The end result is an aerospace-grade, high-fiber volume fraction composite barrel with less than 1% porosity suitable for the most extreme environments, service conditions and the demanding requirements of crew-served weapons.
>>
>>28283350
>How is it more retardedness?
Because it ignores what I said. All you did was bring up something entirely irrelevant to defend the retarded post you reposted.
>>
>>28283364

> Designed to dissipate heat.
> Weakness; Heat.

Makes sense to me. (Unless it was predominantly for wieght, in which case; lift more.)
>>
>>28283098
>Carbon fiber composite is bulkier but lighter for the same strength as steel.

Except no, they compare it to aluminum for a reason and kevlar is only rated for handgun rounds without fragmentation protection.
1. Carbon Fiber weighs more than aluminum as a fixture but just as weak as fiberglass. However carbon fiber over the barrel is most likely to protect from dings, which should never really be a problem with freefloat covers. Unless both steel and carbon fiber are fused together it would most likely behave more like a sleeve, which completely defeats the purpose to even free float.

3. Carbon Fiber would be better used as furniture, and it already has but weighs just as much as steel just to be stable. It is brittle and costly, unlike mild steel.

4 Carbon fiber in form is not held together by thread. Whatever coating it uses will always be Resin. To have it attached to a steel barrel would have to have Epoxy, which is a glue. Otherwise just to have Epoxy cured by Amine just to cover over and harden is a toxic process. That is before the barrel is even threaded.
>>
RCC barrels when?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinforced_carbon%E2%80%93carbon
>>
>carbon fiber wrapped barrels
>weak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXtee3ipsW8
>>
>>28283396
> it would most likely behave more like a sleeve, which completely defeats the purpose to even free float.
You dont know what free floating is do you?
>>
>>28283430
It's like freebleeding but in a public swimming pool, right?
>>
Rather than trying to make barrels out of carbon fibre, surely it would make sense to replace all the furniture first?
>>
>>28283442
Why? Extreme performance isn't as important for the furniture.
>>
>>28283442
a $900 makes more sense than a $4000 pistol grip, stock, and handguard
>>
Muh 4150 Chrome-Moly barrels
>>
>>28283218
Exactly my point, at that point it is then worth the look in my opinion.
>>
>>28282869

It's Carbon Fiber with a Stainless Steel Liner. Kinda like how aluminum engine blocks have iron piston liners, just the gun version of this.

Probably works OK but you have to remember, this is a composite material, and composite materials don't always tell you when they're going to fail. Someone could store this improperly, the stainless inside rusts badly ( think salt-water environment) and the barrel fails first shot.

In some cases this might work well, since carbon fiber can be made EXTREMELY rigid in only a single axis, which would reduce barrel harmonics significantly (in theory), but there's plenty of downsides as well.
>>
I think cf would be good for sniping or long range shooting
>>
>>28283104
a.k.a infancy.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.