[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aiming Lasers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: 13527761574201.jpg (178 KB, 584x424) Image search: [Google]
13527761574201.jpg
178 KB, 584x424
I've always wondered about this, /k/, and have heard plenty of conflicting arguments from both sides.

Is there really a point to having lasers on firearms?

If you really aren't supposed to shoot without first acquiring a sight picture then what use is a laser? Why have governments put so much money into developing laser systems for military small arms use?

People say it aids in sight acquisition but I can only see it becoming a distraction. The effort it takes to track a shiny dot jumping all over the target plane compounded with the fact you SHOULD be able to acquire a sight picture with your eyes closed just makes them seem a bit pointless to me.

So what purpose do they serve? Just some auxiliary function as a pointer, or something more?
>>
>>28280360
>If you really aren't supposed to shoot without first acquiring a sight picture then what use is a laser?
Lasers are for when you can't get a sight picture, like extremely low light or wearing NVGs
>>
>>28280650

What if you have some NVG-compatible optic and an IR illuminator?
>>
>>28280650
This, lasers are not a replacement to sights, they are for specific situations for when you can't use your sights. Along with these, they are also used for wearing gas masks (since you can't get a cheek weld) and when shooting a pistol around ballistic shields.
>>
>>28280650
This
They are also good for pointing at shit
>>
>>28280650
>Lasers are for when you can't get a sight picture, like extremely low light

Why would anybody have a laser but not a light
>>
>>28282322
When i have night vision and the enemy doesn't, especially at range. My little rifle mounted flashlight is going to illuminate fuck all at 200 meters, much less enough to get a good sight pictute. Thats why the pvs-14/peq-15 combo is God's gift to the infantry
>>
>>28281020
That is exactly what the us army does for precision rifles.
>>
>>28282362

are you implying you'd actually be able to hit jack shit at 200m aiming with just an IR laser
>>
>>28282456
>are you not?

Y'all need trigger time
>>
Lasers are great!

They point straight so you can tell exactly where your shooter is pointing!
>>
>>28282456
Put the laser one target form to the left and you'll hit the ivan dude.
>>
Even with small pistols with lasers like crimson trace and what not it good. The laser is for when you pull up the gun to your belly or chest but cant take the time or movement to aim down the sights. You see red dot where your mostly likely to hit and can then pull the trigger with wild abandon.
The idea your going to get perfect sight picture in a fire fight or against a knife wielding attacker is almost comical. These are not retarded ai on a video game its a fast moving man wanting to at the minimum hurt you likely kill you.
At 30 ft if the lasers on it the bullet will be nearly the same place with any pistol.
>>
I think a more important issue is this: why would you EVER put a flashlight on your gun? That seems like a terrible idea imo.
>>
>>28282727

Blind people in close combat
>>
>>28282727
>If you're operating in the dark, you don't have NVGs, and don't have a pistol and/or can't shoot a pistol one-handed properly like God and JMB intended.
>>
>>28282727

Stealth isn't always a consideration. If you're kicking in a door and storming a house or something, a flashlight will help you see in dim areas. Since you are not trying to be sneaky, it doesn't matter that it gives away your position.
>>
>>28280360
you try looking through optics at night wearing nvgs you cunt
>>
>>28282727

Because it's important to ID your target and what is behind it and around it.
>>
>>28282727

are you fucking retarded
>>
>>28282727
Exactly how new are you?
>>
>>28281049
>gas masks
I never understood this. Why are there gas masks with side filter ports? I was always under the assumption so you could shoulder a rifle. I was disappointed when I got my mask that I couldnt look down my sights/eotech on my rifle.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.