[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else /lansky/ here? How does /k/ sharpen their knives?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: 1272.jpg (1 MB, 2325x2205) Image search: [Google]
1272.jpg
1 MB, 2325x2205
Anyone else /lansky/ here? How does /k/ sharpen their knives?
>>
I straighten my pocket knives on a hone for a couple passes once a week and that keeps them sharp enough for me. If I used one pretty heavily or dented the edge on something hard I hit it with a finish file, then hone it quite a bit longer because I'm too lazy to get out the wet stone. I do my chisels on a wet stone, hone, then strop them. Axes and everything else just get filed.
>>
>>28279875
I've used one before.
It's nice for pretty much everything, and it's idiot proof.
I like it, and I would buy one if I needed to sharpen knives often.
>>
I use a cheap stone from the hardware store
>>
I use a stone because none of the handheld ones I've ever seen or used have accomodated a scandi grind.
>>
I use a Sharpmaker. Works really well, I've got no complaints
>>
Guys, I just cannot seem to figure out the lansky turnbox. The instructions seem incredibly straight-forward, but I just fumble with the execution. Although I always see improvement in regards to sharpness, it never has that 'out of the box' edge that I would like to see.

Is there some sort of technique that I'm missing out on? Or am I just Encino Man?
>>
>>28280957
Just keep trying and make sure the knife is perfectly vertical and that the edge is contacting the rods the way it should
Don't let the tip roll off the rods or you'll dull it
>>
>>28280981
Just curious, how much pressure do you typically apply to the edge? Are you physically pressing down on the blade, or are you allowing it to 'glide' on the stone?
>>
>>28280957
What is this wizardry?
I wouldnt have a fucking clue how to use that device either.
>>
http://www.mcmaster.com/#polishing-compounds/=10ce6tl
>>
>>28281008
Allow it to glide on the stone with slight pressure. Too much pressure will cause unnecessary wear on the edge and the stone, too little will be ineffective. Sharpen as if you're trying to cut down through the rods.
>>
>>28279875
im already edgy enough m8
>>
File: worksharp.jpg (128 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
worksharp.jpg
128 KB, 1500x1125
alright fuckers, im about to change your lives right here.

this fucking thing. this fucker right here will sharpen a knife in no time flat with a better edge than you fucks have ever made.

shit is golden. 70 bucks. get yourself some more fine belts while youre at it, youll run through those the most.

http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B003IT5F14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450760289&sr=8-1&keywords=work+sharp
>>
>>28281052
my Dad has one of those in his garage, but I always assumed that it would insta-grind the shit out of my pocket knives.

Just how powerful is this thing, anyway?
>>
File: 1420177150114.jpg (53 KB, 419x480) Image search: [Google]
1420177150114.jpg
53 KB, 419x480
>>28281052

>abrasive belts
>motorized
>better edge
>>
>>28279875
Arkansas stone
Light oil
Leather strop w. rouge.
Shave with it.
>>
>>28281061

not sure of wattage, but the coarse belt will cause sparks to fly on carbon steel blades. the fine belt is where its at IMO, no sparks and a solid edge

>>28281072

why dont you try it out before shit talking it bud
>>
>>28281061

Every knife I've ever seen after using that horrid piece of shit has had heat tint from the belts heating the bevel up. This causes the steel to lose the possibly expensive temper the manufacturer put on it.

Also, 40 degree bevels are fucking child's play.
>>
>>28281104
Me again
If the edge is really fucked, clamp it in a vise and start with a mill bastard.
>>
>>28281120
If you had to choose between 15 or 25 deg, what would you take for general purpose?
>>
>>28279875
Spyderco Sharpmaker. I've made knives hair splitting sharp with it.

>NO ANGLE CONTROL REEEEEEEEE

Stop having glass wrists and hold the knife parallel to the ground with your wrist locked. It's not hard.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>28279875
I use one of the Lansky wet stones, works nicely
>>
>>28281138

>general purpose

It's all in your definition of what you mean by that. My general purpose for a knife is cutting. I run my EDC knives at 32º inclusive (16 degrees per side), and my heavy duty stuff at 20 DPS. Anything over that is an enhanced butter knife.

Most of the Benchmades I get from the factory are over 45º inclusive, so it takes a LOT of work to get them to apex, especially the S90V, M390, or M4 blades.
>>
>>28281115
>why dont you try it out before shit talking it bud
Does it get the blade hot? I see those on late night TV and was wondering about it but I always thought it would untemper the metal.
>>
>>28281034
Oh anon ya cheeky cunt you
>>
>>28280573
Love the damn thing. It puts a razor edge on anything I put in it. I'm a big fan.
>>
I just use these. Clean the stones often though since they will clog.

http://www.amazon.com/Lansky-3143-PS-MED01-BladeMedic/dp/B0085PPSIQ

If you have a knife that you really need sharpened super well take it to a professional shop that does it for $5 on their fancy equipment.
>>
>>28281335
i know that they had that problem with the s30v in the nilakka's zero grind blade in the earlier run/runs

its been addressed but the belts did exactly that and cardboard was known to chip the edge.

they do just fine now, mine eats cardboard for days
>>
File: PC220093.jpg (532 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
PC220093.jpg
532 KB, 1280x960
I learned on a shitty hardware store oilstone my dad always had in his toolbox. For years I sharpened all my knives (all relativly small) on a DC4 and it was good enough.

Recently I got a 400 and 1000 double sided diamond stone and Belgian Blue whetstone at about 4000. Mostly because I wanted something better for sharpening broad and thick plane irons.

Holy shit, diamond stone removes metal damn quick and feels nicer than I expected. The Blue whetstone is my favourite though, it's like sharpening on silk and makes a wonderful noise; it feels great.

I have a Lanksy that I use from time to time to set bevel angles but it's worn out now, I will get a rolling guide for chisels and plane irons now that I have bench stones. Knives I can grind by hand on the rare occasion I have to re-grind a bevel.

Pic related, what looks like little pits in the stone is actually tiny sapphires.
>>
What's a good stone or kit for kitchen knives? I want to give my parents something nice but practical for Christmas.
>>
I use this, a bit pricey but it's great for tools too (chisels, screwdrivers, etc).

http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-50008-8-Inch-Diamond-Tri-Hone/dp/B001I6JGL4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450777802&sr=8-2&keywords=tri+hone
>>
>>28283313
If they don't know how to sharpen then a kit like Lanksy or Spyderco is good.

But to be honest the typical kitchen knives 95% of people have that I've seen made since about the 70s are so shitty that they won't take or hold anything resembling an edge, and if by chance they will dull quicker than a quick thing. I think they make them out of pop cans or something.

It's not like workable stainless steel is even expensive these days, even AUS 8 or similar would be a thousand times better than typical budget kitchen knife sets.
>>
>>28279875
I use one of their fine sharpening hones for my mandolin for slicing vegetables. I have also used it for fine sharpening of one or two other knives. Seems to be good shit, may buy a complete set at some point.
>>
>>28281009
it's not that difficult - you put it on a flat surface, and keeping the knife perpendicular to tha surface, drag it as if you were trying to cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_XTuIOUp_8
>>
>>28283400
>Its not that difficult
>So i'm going to post a 10 minute video documenting some convoluted process
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.