[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well /k/, I had to have the inevitable conversation about guns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: 1432873709006.gif (357 KB, 263x239) Image search: [Google]
1432873709006.gif
357 KB, 263x239
Well /k/, I had to have the inevitable conversation about guns with my dad today while I was home for the holidays. I talked about how I wanted a "good bolt action" and he keeps trying to talk up modern Savage Arms guns and other sad polymer tacticool garbage. I kept showing him a bunch of mosin nagants that I was eyeing at the local gun show and he can't understand why I want one. It certainly doesn't help that he was a long time veteran in the Navy, and is extremely hesitant to give the Russians any credit for any firearm that they have ever produced. I explained how it is a legendary rifle, and the conversation that followed was... painful

>"Well if you buy an old shitty rifle but you can't find ammo for it because it sells some weird round then it's useless."
>It occurred to me he has no idea what 7.62 is.
>"Where did you even get this idea to get this gun? Did you just come up with it?"
>I eh... I go on a web forum about guns and military stuff and it's basically the gun mascot
"Well is this a web forum about gun enthusiasts or gun professionals? I mean you go on that web forum and you don't know anything about guns."
>Implying I don't know anything about guns because I don't know anything about his Fudd trash
>Don't have the heart to tell him I got it off 4chan /k/ because that would be a whole other conversation I didn't want to have
>Politely remind him that the mosin has been used in every major conflict since the Boxer Rebellion
>"So have rocks."

How do I make him see reason? Is it even worth it at this point?
>>
It is very clear that the kids are out for Christmas right now.
>>
>>28272191
That's very helpful, thanks faggot.
>>
>>28272179
You're not planning on buying it for your dad, so why do you give a shit about his opinion of it? Get whatever you want.
>>
>>28272179
your dad is interested in buying a new rifle that has a nice new bore and has a good mounting for an optic and you want a 200 dollar piece of shit. are you fucking retarded, 12 or just a meme?
>I go on a web forum
lmao please stop. I had a similar talk with my dad AFTER I bought my SVT but it was just out of typical interest between the two of us but I had BOUGHt the svt and a 400 round sealed can of ammo. My dad still uses a rem700 when we head out to shoot targets and he looks to have a very fun time.
>>
>>28272179
any mosin you get is likely to be shit compared to a modern hunting rifle. don't buy a gun to fit in with a stupid message board filled with fat retards.

your father is trying to teach you life lessons and you're fucking it up
>>
>>28272179
I mean... he's not wrong though. A Savage Axis will cost as much or slightly more than a Mosin and will outshoot it any day.

If you want a Mosin for historical reasons, then just tell him that. Just say "I don't give a fuck if a savage is better, I want this old ass rifle because I think it's cool." That's a perfectly acceptable reason to buy something.
>>
File: 1431543223912-1.png (340 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1431543223912-1.png
340 KB, 600x450
>>28272195
Well the problem herein is that I'm pretty damn sure the man is going to try to buy me a gun for Christmas or my birthday, and I'm deathly afraid that he's going to come back one day with a polymer Ruger 'for me.' He's talked about it for a while and it's a pretty convenient excuse for him to buy a new rifle.

The university I live near would make me store my weapons at the 'Department of Safety' which is Orwellian as shit so I just leave mine at my parent's home in the family safe. Anything I leave at home registered in my name my dad usually takes out to use, or even just considers part of his growing collection. That's neither here nor there though, the point is I want the man to see reason.
>>
>>28272207
>>28272213
These guys are fags
>>28272216
This guy is right
>>
>>28272179
Mosins are fun because they're cheap, heavy, and hard to manipulate. That kinda has to be your thing. It's a fun range gun, I wouldn't give it the practical edge over a decent modern bolt action. For practical purposes I would much rather have a nice savage hog hunter than a mosin. I would only settle for a mosin if I was a poorfag, but even then I'd save up and sell that hunk of junk once I can get something better. If you're not a poor it's something cool to have in your collection but shouldnt really be a go-to.
>>
>>28272179
>no idea what 7.62 is.
Well it's pretty clear he was right when he said:
>you don't know anything about guns.
>>
>>28272179
>>"Well if you buy an old shitty rifle but you can't find ammo for it because it sells some weird round then it's useless."
Oddly enough, this is more of a fudd trap than anything - there's a shit-ton of obscure boutique hunting calibers out there that are just not obtainable in quantity no matter how much you're able to spend. Unless you've got an Arisaka, Carcano, or 7.5 MAS you're not going to have that problem with milsurp, and even then they're probably a lot more common than the OTHER other other ideal perfect specialized whitetail-deer round that only 100 rifles have ever been chambered in.
>>
>modern Savage Arms guns and other sad polymer tacticool garbage
This has to be bait. Savage makes some of the best budget bolt actions out there, and I don't think any of them could be called tacticool with a straight face.

>a bunch of mosin nagants that I was eyeing
Shit OP, no wonder he doesn't agree with you, you have shit taste. Nuggets were all the rage back when they were $80-100 a gun and poorfags had to make themselves feel better over not being able to save cash for just one more month before they rushed to the gunstore, but now they're starting at $140 so what's the fucking point? If you want a piece of bolt action war history why not something with a bit more class, like an Enfield, Mauser, Springfield 1903 or an SVT? And explain that the history is something you find particularly interesting.

Your old man has the right of it. Good bolt actions don't have 3MOA accuracy on a good day; Savages are excellent guns for their price range. I've done a lot of shooting with a Savage Axis in .223 and found it to be an extremely fun gun to shoot. One of those in .223 or .308 would give you a very cheap gun to feed that is accurate and well made.
>>
>>28272229
>Well the problem herein is that I'm pretty damn sure the man is going to try to buy me a gun for Christmas or my birthday, and I'm deathly afraid that he's going to come back one day with a polymer Ruger 'for me.'
So you might get a free gun if you calm down and act cool. How is this a problem? If you get a polymer Ruger boltgun, go out and shoot it and enjoy it and then get a Mosin sometime on your own. You see Ivan, then you are have two rifle.
>>
>>28272179

Tell your dad you want a garand or enfield then

they are frankly better guns, people dont buy them as often because they are expensive, but if your dad wants to get you a murican gun let him get one
>>
>>28272270
But why waste mobey on a gun that op doesnt want? If he wants mosin,get him mosin. It will be far less fuss
>>
>>28272229
Wish my old man would buy me a rifle. I wouldn't even be an ungrateful little shit about it.

>omagawd i can't believe daddy bought me a bmw i tooooold him i wanted a porsche!!1 >:(
>>
The point I'm getting from this thread is that he's not wrong that a modern bolt action would be better. I get that, really, and I've expressed that I would by no means be upset if I owned my own modern .308.

The whole "so have rocks" comment just really made me sperg out for a bit. I think I'll just explain to him that I was looking for a good historical rifle that could double as a survival rifle and hope that he hears me out on this. If he doesn't then I'm likely to wind up with a .380 I can call my own and I can just buy a mosin on my own time so really I can't lose, right?

More than anything I guess I was just hoping he'd at least find a Mosin cool so we could bond over something.
>>
>>28272179
>Savage Arms guns and other sad polymer tacticool garbage
You're a fucking retard.
>>
>>28272270
this

why are you complaining, OP? let him buy you the nice rifle that obviously will cost more. Which leaves you to save up the half of your minimum wage paycheck to buy a mosin.

Would you rather him buy you the mosin and then you turn around and drop $500 on a decent bolt action just because you only then realized your nugget is only fun for the bang and the meme.
>>
>>28272269
I've owned a Mosin Nagant and have since sold it. My experience is that they really aren't that bad - yes, new-production bolt actions are probably better, but nuggets do what they're built to do and do it well enough.
>>28272287
A gift is a gift. If someone bought me a fucking Jiminez I'd still be happy, it's a gun after all and at least they tried.
>>
>>28272229
But OP, the one who needs to see reason is you. You got suckered into danke memery. Most of the people spouting off about mosins are anons needing to rationalize their purchase after they find out that the gun is heavy, inaccurate, with a bolt that can't easily be worked in one smooth stroke.

They make Rugers in wood, if it's a classic wooden look you want just tell him that, I'm sure he'd understand. If it's something historical that tickles your wickle, tell him that and he'd probably understand that too, but don't insist on the fucking worst gun of WW1, come on.
>>
>>28272273

springfield rather
>>
>>28272287
>survival rifle
you're retarded if you think you're going to want to carry that 30lbs tree limb as a "survival rifle."
>>
File: 1382193454516.gif (2 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1382193454516.gif
2 MB, 200x150
>>28272303
>>28272270

>tl;dr
>Free $500 Gun + $200 mosin = $200 for two guns
>Free $200 Gun + $500 gun = $500 for two guns
>$500 > 200
>Other than feeling guilty about him spending more money on a gun you don't want, what's to worry about?

/thread
>>
>>28272309
>but don't insist on the fucking worst gun of WW1, come on.
Better ballistics than Arisakas
Better everything than Carcanos
Better accuracy than 1903s (supposedly)
Mosins are not shit. They have disadvantages but they're not shit.
>>
File: flammenwerfer.jpg (18 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
flammenwerfer.jpg
18 KB, 400x400
>>28272307
>at least they tried.

>be me
>be living out of state for college
>birthday rolls around
>plan to meet with old friends
>ask for ammo so i can take them shooting
>they show up with pic related and a plastic 99ยข snapgun
>mfw no face
>>
>>28272287
>good historical rifle that could double as a survival rifle
I won't unload on you again because you sound like far less of a bitch in this post than you did earlier, but a good survival rifle is light--and a mosin is anything but. Honestly, while most people wanting a survival rifle would be better off with a good carry pistol and a light .22lr rifle, a lightweight AR is more suitable than almost any bolt action as far as survival rifles go.

He might see your point about history at least if you mention some of the classier historical bolt actions, but if you say survival rifle he's correct in wondering what the fuck you're thinking in a mosin. (Hell, the polymer of a modern bolt action is going to be tougher than wood, and lighter too, and as the modern gun's sure to be more accurate and use lighter ammo there's really nothing in the mosin's "win" category. You won't ever use the bayo.)
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7DrsW3cyFA

your dad knows more than you kid
>>
>>28272320
>/threads his own post

What faggotry is this
>>
File: 1416086357244.png (172 KB, 315x299) Image search: [Google]
1416086357244.png
172 KB, 315x299
>>28272340
>>28272314
Point taken about the whole survival aspect. I guess I got real hung up on the whole romanticized picture of me pissing down the barrel in the woods to clean it then using it to beat a cougar to death.

I was really, really looking forward to pissing down a gun barrel. But hey, I guess I learned something today about guns AND family. Thanks for the mentoring session /k/.
>>
>>28272345
>Using nutnfancy as an argument
Jesus Christ
>>
>>28272179
I have a mosin. It's long, heavy, fun but over rated. I also have a $800 Tikka t3. It's light, accurate and also very fun. If you can't enjoy a gun because it's "sad polymer tacticool garbage", fuck right off and go be a faggot somewhere else. I don't care if my dad got me a fucking snickers bar, I'd be happy to just have a christmas with him. He's trying to get you something better than a mosin (and yes, just about any "sad polymer tacticool garbage" is better than a mosin), be happy that he supports your hobby.
>>
>>28272365
If you really want, you can piss down the barrel of just about any gun, though you really ought to clean it out afterwards.
>>
>>28272179
he is right the mosin is trash and you are a faggot who doesn't know much about guns.
>>
>>28272365
If you want to melee a cougar, be my guest, shit is pretty hardcore and Teddy Roosevelt did it with a saber in a single stab. I read some of the letters he wrote home to his kids and he talked about a cougar hunt in one letter. He could have shot it but didn't want to risk hitting the dogs that had it cornered, and was worried said dogs would get mauled by it, so he jumped off his horse saber in hand, and put it right between the cougar's shoulder blades into its heart. It died almost instantly.

A dedicated melee weapon is less likely to get you killed doing it than a weapon that can sort of double as one.

>you will probably die though, TDR was a badass supreme and even he had backup in that hunt, or more accurately was the backup
>>
>>28272459
Sparring using SKS with bayonets

Yay or nay?
>>
File: fdr-mosin.jpg (178 KB, 844x1600) Image search: [Google]
fdr-mosin.jpg
178 KB, 844x1600
>>28272179

Based on feedback from /k/ I bought a Mosin. Paid extra for a Finnish VKT made M1891 with a pristine bore. Well... it was shit. Wandering zero. Smelly slav-shit ammo. Rotten stock design. Noisy as all fuck. Heavy recoil. As much as I wanted to love it, it was a bitch.

Best thing I ever did was get rid of it.

Don't let a meme be your guide to weapons.
>>
>>28272712
>buying a garbage milsurp because you're too goddamn stupid to pick out a garbage mislurp
nigger if it's not caked in cosmoline don't even fucking bother
>>
My savage 10 gets way more time at the range than my nugget. Being able to punch a smiley face at 400 yards is way for fun then fighting to get 54r anywhere on steel at 300.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.