[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/, stupid noguns here. I want to learn as much as possible,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: 4525452.jpg (233 KB, 960x420) Image search: [Google]
4525452.jpg
233 KB, 960x420
Hey /k/, stupid noguns here.

I want to learn as much as possible, but the more I read the sticky the more I realize how incredibly ignorant I am.

Is there an easy starting place for someone who literally knows nothing about how guns work, what the different parts are called, how to buy one/get a license, etc?
>>
>>28268307
Finish the sticky first
>>
>>28268307
Where do you live OP?

I ask in my least sinister tone
>>
>>28268307
1.go to store (youll need your ID)
2.find gun you like
3.buy gun and ammo
4.shoot gun, dissamble gun, clean gun, practice with gun

congratulations! youve taken your first steps into the world of guns!
>>
depends on what state you live in.
>>
>>28268346
Got it
>>28268349
Macon Georgia
>>28268355
Is that all there is to it?
>>28268365
What are the different rules by state?
>>
File: 1449770624432.gif (1 MB, 280x200) Image search: [Google]
1449770624432.gif
1 MB, 280x200
Not OP, but in for answers.
>live in Chitcago
>no car
>get IL driver's license after break
>get IL FOID after break
>order scoped bolt-action???? cheap milsurp??? cheap pistol??? scattergat????
>get beater so I can drive to ranges and gun shops??????
>?????????
>profit!
>>
File: 312421341324321.jpg (125 KB, 500x749) Image search: [Google]
312421341324321.jpg
125 KB, 500x749
>>28268307
The license part depends entirely on where you love so you'd have to be a bit more specific for answers.
Also, lurk more... No really, /k/ may be nothing but shitpost and stories about incest 70% of the time but 30% of the time it's actually pretty useful. There's also plenty of books out there about the history, use, terminology, and models of firearms, you could probably find one in any bookstore near you, in mine they're usually stored in the history isles, it might not tell you everything but it's a good starting point.
On Youtube there's a few channels like forgotten weapons and Hickok45 that show and shoot guns, again, not the best source of knowledge but they're good starting points since they often speak of how the firearms operates and the like.

It may seem like guns are this colossal, impossible thing to grasp from the outside looking in but once you get in there it all becomes pretty straight forward. Good luck OP.
>>
>>28268385
>What are the different rules by state?
It depends on the state, places like California have some really bullshit laws like no pistol grips and a 10 round limit on magazines and then you have places like Based Utah where you can buy any semi-automatic like you're buying some beer, no license or anything required.
>>
>>28268385
Nigger we can do whatever we want in Georgia. Go to a store and buy a gun.
>>
Honestly OP, as someone who was also /south/ and fairly dumb and nogunz less than a year ago, your best bet is going to be to just read, watch videos, whatever you can voraciously on the subject.
Just pick one subject - a period of history, a certain type of weapon, etc - and go to town on it.

You're better starting in the past and with smaller stuff respectively than trying to learn about modern day tacticool weapon systems.
>>
>>28268307
You can learn a lot in your first months just by lurking here.

Buy a few, shoot them, take care of them, learn how they work down to the core. Watch videos, read articles, always keep learning.

It'll come in due time.
>>
>>28268385
>Georgia
Here, read this to know everything you need to know about the legality about firearms ownership over there
https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/georgia/

From the looks of it Georgia is pretty nice and loose with it's laws.
>>
>>28268307
where do you live? best bet when starting from zero knowledge is to find someone already into guns to show you the ropes. there is a shit ton of science and knowledge in guns that takes years to master. the basics are pretty easy though, take one of those NRA gun instruction courses. use google to find instructors near you
>>
>>28268433
as for state gun laws, check here
https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/

Georgia can do just about whatever they want I believe, and like Alabama they are a shall-issue for concealed carry
>>
>>28268385
>is that all there is to it?

Pretty much yea, may be waiting periods or extra stuff if you live in a cuckstate.

You will need to fill out a background check, so you'll have to write down some info on a form. Stuff like DOB, address, ethnicity, etc.
>>
>>28268355
maybe thats how it works in america, but dont forget some peopple live in occupied territories like kalifornia
>>
File: 1402208299939.jpg (115 KB, 678x800) Image search: [Google]
1402208299939.jpg
115 KB, 678x800
>Guy comes on /k/ asking how to get into firearms if he knows nothing
>Most anons give out genuinely helpful advice
I love this place
>>
>>28268307
Lurk more
>>
>>28268307
OP, if you do decide to buy a gun make sure you know how to safely handle one, most places will give you some overly complicated bullshit so they can feel more like "muh special club" so really here's the most important parts:
>Keep finger off the trigger unless you're about to shot
>Never point the muzzle (the part of the barrel the bullet comes out of) at anything you don't want to shoot
>Make sure the gun is unloaded before fucking around with it (you may have put a cartridge (cartridge = what most people call the bullet) in the chamber and forgotten)
>Make sure you know what you're shooting at and what might be behind it before you start shooting at it
You don't want to have a negligent discharge, and you shouldn't since they're very easy to avoid.
>>
File: 1445284600945.jpg (4 MB, 3900x5008) Image search: [Google]
1445284600945.jpg
4 MB, 3900x5008
>>28268496
Seconded. This board is the tits.
>>
File: 1429199638024.jpg (481 KB, 1700x2200) Image search: [Google]
1429199638024.jpg
481 KB, 1700x2200
I didn't read the rest of the thread, and I don't know if it's actually helpful, but spend some time on IMFDB with games and movies you like and know.

I know it sounds like dumb shit, I know it is a meme, but a strong way to get into guns these days is through media. I know it worked for me, going from being marginally anti-guns to knowing most of what I see and loving them to death. It's a convenient back-door in these times, and it's always fun to be able to name all the guns you see and impress the right people with it.

Learning the aesthetics and, generally, parts of different guns is a great way to figure out their inner workings and understand them. Learn what a receiver is, know what a gas system is and their different parts. You can tell a lot of these things at sight, like a buffer tube and stocks adapted for them; look around, google parts or bits you don't know on a new one, learn it, and you're well on your way to recognizing it all. Godspeed.
>>
>>28268618
This
Vidya and movies actually got me into guns, I mean my knowledge about them was borderline retarded by /k/ standards but hey, eventually I got a license (Canadian), bought an SKS, and boom, before I knew it I was rolling my eyes at modern media's depictions of firearms.
>>
I'll run through some basic nomenclature for OP's part
If I miss anything significant feel free to shoot the messenger

>Double Action vs Single Action Revolvers
Single Action revolvers have a short trigger pull, and only need to allow the hammer to be released. these are the type you can 'fan' the hammer on. They're not drop safe and aren't as common these days.
Double Actions have a second action on the trigger, so you don't have to cock the hammer before firing. Instead, they have a longer trigger pull that cocks the hammer before firing. This makes them more drop safe and reliable, and these are the common modern models.

>Hammer vs Striker Fired Pistols
Hammer fired pistols operate on the same principal as a revolver, with either an exposed or, in some cases, internal hammer at the rear of the action. These are your standard pistols up until the Glocks caught on, so your Barrettas and 1911s and such. The reason these have been somewhat replaced is because external hammers are not always considered drop safe, and accidents can happen if you leave the pistol cocked.
(btw, to decock a hammer-fired pistol, you clear the action, hold the hammer with your thumb and pull the trigger, letting the hammer "ride" back to the uncocked position)
Striker-fired pistols are the more modern developments, particularly the Glocks, but also several "Glock Clones" like SW Shields and the ever-popular VP9. Instead of a hammer, these pistols have an internal striker that is primed by racking the slide after a magazine is inserted.
Although there are concerns with the assembly of these guns, particularly all-polymer guns like the Glocks (which have been known to explode when chambered with the wrong caliber or wrong pressure), for the most part that's memery and these guns perform incredibly reliably
>>
>>28268307
>Is there an easy starting place for someone who literally knows nothing about how guns work

The way I learned it was 2 fold, and pretty piecemeal.

On the one hand, look at "improvised" gun designs, like the extremely simple 4-winds shotgun, or P.A. Luty's tube-and-locking-collar SMGs (see http://thehomegunsmith.com/pdf/Expedient-Homemade-Firearms-Vol-II-PA-Luty.pdf)

These, being such simple designs and often presented in a sort of "how to make guns for dummies" format, can introduce you to the ins and outs of basic principals of how firearms work in theory.

The second is to just go full autism on guns you like. For instance, if you want to learn about, say, the SKS, google the SKS, read it's wiki article, read its service manual, read bubba and fudd's forum posts on it, watch youtube videos of it being disassembled, modified, repaired, etc.
Eventually, you'll know everything about that weapon, and the things related to it, like short stroke gas systems, tilting bolt locking mechanisms, etc etc etc. By doing this with a bunch of different guns that interest you, you'll come to know guns in general.
>>
>>28268709
Next, onto the next most common firearms, at least in America - Shotguns. You probably know what these are but I might as well cover all the bases of ammunition and all that.

Gauges are probably the most confusing of ammo nomenclature to learn for people who didn't grow up exposed to guns, because they're the terms most rooted in historical cannonade measurements.

Effectively, a 'gauge' refers to how much shot - the individual pellets - can be loaded in the gun from one standard block of lead. So 12 gauge can hold 12 standard balls of lead, and 20 gauge can hold 20. So a higher number actually means smaller shot and less pressure needed to fire.
12g and 20g, maybe 16g, are the main gauges you'll see today, though historically the largest common fowling shot was a mammoth 4 gauge.

The primary shot types are "shot" itself and slugs, which are effectively incredibly fat chunky bullets, but shotguns can also easily fire bean bags and rounds made of whatever the fuck you have on you. There are also adapters for different rifle and handgun rounds that sit in the barrel like a shell and have the rifling necessary to fire their respective rounds, though with varied results.
>>
>>28268820
You forgot shell length, don't want to load a 3" shell into a 2 1/2" chamber
>>
>>28268307
Lurk.

And don't listen to anything /k/ says.
>>
>>28268975
goddamn greek barbers and their shaving paradoxes.
>>
>>28268595
File for ants
>>
>>28270191
Didn't even look at the dimensions, did you? Open it in a new tab, lad.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.