[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much should I pay for a No. 1 MK III wire wrapped SMLE?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (159 KB, 2820x616) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
159 KB, 2820x616
How much should I pay for a No. 1 MK III wire wrapped SMLE?
Pic related
>>
>>28265995
over $9000
>>
>>28265995
what's with the wire wrapping? Just to keep the foreguard attached?
I'm no SMLE expert obviously
>>
>>28265995
Does it come with the grenade launcher?
>>
A few hundred bucks for collectability, but not much since it's not safe to shoot.

>>28266019
They used the wrap on rifles set aside for rifle grenades.
>>
>>28266019
They were designed to launch rifle grenades, the pressure was so great that it would cause the furniture to break apart. The solution was to rap wire.
>>
>>28266033
ah, neat
>>
>>28266045
That was a guess honestly, and what I would pay for one. I'm not sure what they actually go for.
>>
>>28265995
No more than 425$

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4516&idcategory=62
>>
>>28266065
I was responding to the wire wrapping
>>
>>28266044
>pressure entirely contained in the barrel, chamber, and bolt head
>wrap the wood to strengthen it

I don't get it, unless it was just to differentiate between the normal Ruffles and ones with extra wear from the grenades
>>
>>28266091
The heavy recoil from launching grenades would crack the wood as it whipped around.
>>
>>28266033
Why would it not be safe to shoot?
>>
About 350, because the bores are typically shot out on them. Theyre fun as hell to shoot tennis balls out with blanks though.
>>
>>28266138
Theyre safe to shoot, just have beaten up rifling
>>
>>28266026
Yes
>>
>>28266138
Typically the rifles set aside fro dedicated grenade launching were shot out.
Rather than rebuild they were simply put to a different use.
The wire wrapping also makes inspection of the barrel difficult. Ifit wasn;t properly greased or painted there could be severe rusting and pitting underneath the handgaurds.
>>
>>28266127
If the barrel burst from the excess pressure, then the wood would splinter or go flying into your face, the wire wrap prevented that.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
I love mine, theyre very interesting rifles, should be worth 3-400 depending on condition and a f it has the launching cup.
Careful with the cup though, you can only shoot blanks with it attached.
>>
van you use the launching cup on a non wire wrapped enfield?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.