[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
bullet with wings
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: real sad frog.gif (598 KB, 540x371) Image search: [Google]
real sad frog.gif
598 KB, 540x371
So I'm not convinced its impossible. Reasons why. DARPA built a self-guided bullet. Missiles are really just giant explosive bullets with wings. So...why can't a 12.7mm amr round or other such similar large caliber bullet have wings that are fitted inside the bullet itself, and when it gets far enough deploy. I get the whole aspect of, "they'll just rip off at that speed" but; if a missile can have wings, why not a bullet? It could easily double the distance. And if fucking DARPA can make a self-guided bullet then there is no excuse as to why a bullet with wings couldn't happen. Pic unrelated.
>>
>>28264841
because bullets spin you dipshit
>>
File: self_guided_bullet-tfb.jpg (49 KB, 743x438) Image search: [Google]
self_guided_bullet-tfb.jpg
49 KB, 743x438
>>28264841
you're a little late to the party
>>
>>28264851
Rolling airframe missiles also spin, and they're guided.
>>
>>28264869
For control and stability. OP wants wings to extend range. Wings don't work so well for providing lift when spinning.
>>
OK so let's say we go with a rolling airframe missile design. How could we make that smaller? Like a lot smaller? If the propulsion and drag from the gun into the air don't rip the wings right off, and it stabilizes in mid flight, would it work? Assuming we account for bullet drop over distance, and make sure the wings hold up, throw in a stabilization chip. They make chips that small its fucking unreal. The bullet cannot be any smaller than 12.7 or even .50 BMG or it wouldn't work. Hell a 20mm would work but we can go a little smaller I think.
>>
>>28264841
DESPITE ALL MY RAGE I AM STILL JUST A RAT IN A CAGE
>>
>>28264975
Could you elaborate on how a piece of silicon makes it more stable? What does it do?
>>
>>28265014
Not silicon. Straight up metal fins that would spiral out and catch so as to not rip off. They'd be thin of course, and would be rounded to the shape of the bullet itself.
>>
>bullets with wings
SABOT rounds, im pretty sure some rifle somewhere uses them
>>
>>28264866
Came here for this. 20 mm smoothbore ftw.
>>
>>28264894
>Wings don't work so well for providing lift when spinning.

what is a helicopter you pleb
>>
>>28265331
Did you take even a single moment to think about the difference between the way a bullet spins and the way helicopter blades spin?
>>
File: 1429911794897.webm (1017 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
1429911794897.webm
1017 KB, 720x405
>>
>>28265331
If this wasn't bait then you should kill yourself
>>
>>28265004
was waiting on that
>>
>>28264841
Maybe if we crossbred a tank shell with a bullet we could have wings, though it might end up being a mule that can't be bred with other bullets.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.