[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>10mm vs 9mm I'm looking for a woods carry general defensive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: g20_od-longslide-2.jpg (89 KB, 600x504) Image search: [Google]
g20_od-longslide-2.jpg
89 KB, 600x504
>10mm vs 9mm

I'm looking for a woods carry general defensive pistol. I have decided to go with Glock because reasons.

I want a 10mm because bears and pigs shit, but used 20's and 29's are a lot harder to find and more expensive than you garden variety 9mm Glocks. I'm not really interested in .40 since it's so close to a 9mm in performance but still more expensive to shoot. Also, the whole point of 10mm is so that you can shoot full power loads, not that ".40 in a longer case" pussy shit. But is a full house 10mm too much for such a lightweight gun?

Or should I just go with a 9mm, pay less for the gun, pay less for the ammo, and actually be able to practice more with it and thus have better shot placement? My only other center fire handgun is a .45 and while I love it, I told myself my next gun would have to be something cheaper to shoot.

I could buy a new gun and get whatever I want, but that's just more $$$ and it seems like a waste to buy a Glock new since there's so many good used ones. I'm pretty dead set on a Glock because I live in CA and it's one of the only decent handguns left on our stupid roster and still available at non-inflated prices. Motherfuckers ask $800 for used M&P's around here, I'm not going to support that bullshit.
>>
G20 and Cor-Bon for the woods. G19 and Hornady for the hoods.
>>
File: G35 pic.jpg (281 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
G35 pic.jpg
281 KB, 1280x1024
The other thing I've considered is building from a frame. That way I could get a long slide which I think are fucking cool and it would end up not costing much more than outright buying a new glock.

>G20 complete lower $250
>LW Slide (stripped) $175
>LW 6" barrel $100 or $150 (ported)
>Slide parts and other small stuff $150

So we're looking at 675-725 for a custom long slide Glock, where a base model Glock has a $650 sticker price at most LGS's.
>>
For innawoods carry I would go with 10mm. It's not TOO expensive to shoot and it has more stopping power than 9mm so it would have more protection from medium to large sized animals
>>
>>28264082
what type of corbon ammo is best for bear protection?
>>
>>28264237

Depends on the species of bear. I don't really carry for bears since "there are no bears in east Texas". Having to kill a brown bear or grizzly quickly and up close with an auto-loading handgun is not a good situation.
>>
>>28264011
good luck finding 10mm rounds when shtf
>>
>>28264471
Good luck finding any ammo during shtf.
>>
>>28264471
Yeah, SHTF is pretty low on my priority list.

>>28264456
I live in CA so there's only black bears. But we have hogs and lots of tweakers too.
>>
>>28264231
>stopping powah

Stop spreading myths, Elmer.
>>
>>28264482
>not looting corpses
>not looting abandoned buildings
>implying cops, soldiers and the average joe don't carry 9mm and 5.56
>implying the fact that 9mm is the most common handgun round is ever going to change
>>
>>28264494
>.22 and .44 are equal you guys, it's all about shot placement!
>>
>>28264490

10mm loads are plenty to take care of all of the above. I have 180gr BCSP.
>>
>>28264482
>implying I didn't buy a .40s&w barrel for my Glock 20 so I can use LEO ammo during SHTF
fag
>>
Inb4 maymay cartridge
>>
>>28264011
Are G40s custom ordered from Glock?
>>
File: DSCN9062.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9062.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Here's my Glock 29. The ammo in the clips are lead, holey stuff, and copper. I shoot it then run home cause I hate being in the woods with out my shells.
>>
>>28264011
Protip: You can shoot .40 out of an unmodified glock 20 just fine. It's safe and it cycles and everything. You can use that to practice and shoot full power 10mm for defense.
>>
>>28264471
.40 is pretty common. See >>28266148
>>
>>28265856
>I shoot it then run home cause I hate being in the woods without my shells
>not carrying enough ammo to protect you on your walk in and out
>only bringing 3 mags to shoot

Anyway, how do you like the G29? I was thinking of getting one for CCW, I'm a big guy (4u).
>>
ten mil is a fucking meme
>>
My woods gun used to be a Glock 29 but even after about 1400rds I still didn't like how I shot it and didn't trust myself with it. Thinking of getting a 9mm Glock to just get the trigger down but after 10s of thousands of da/sa rounds I just don't much like it.

I've switched to my mark 23 with super hot 45rds because it's much more trustworthy in my hands.
>>
>>28264011
>used
>buying slutty guns
>>
>>28265856
>Not bringing extra ammo
>Lacking the self control to not shoot your last mag or two of ammo.

It's like you shouldn't even own guns.
>>
10mm is the ultimate special snowflake round

Roman candles work better against bears than pistols anyway
>>
File: smokey.jpg (59 KB, 500x368) Image search: [Google]
smokey.jpg
59 KB, 500x368
>>28267584
>Shooting off roman candles in the forest
>Especially dry California forest
>>
>>28267584
>ultimate special snowflake

Name a better dangerous game round out of a semi-auto handgun, that is less of a special snowlfake, ie: no .460 Rowland or .357 1911s.

>Inb4 Deagal brand Deagal
>>
>>28264011
I carry a full size S&W 9mm in the woods with a spare mag. Even while bear hunting. I'm more worried about poachers, pot farmers, feral pigs, coyotes, wolves, feral dogs, feral cats, dindus, than bears. Worst case I shoot the best with my primary then magdump. I'm reality, unless your going against a full sized grizzly, fmj 9mm will hit vitals.

If I'm super worried though, 45 long colt with 255 grain hardcast or .45 ACP with fmj bullets. I wouldn't carry any of these in grizzly country though. 10mm or .44 mag at minimum with a long arm accessible.

Funny story, I shot at (later found out I missed) at a 250lb black bear last night 2 minutes before shooting time was up. I saw it run into the woods so I took my mini mag light and followed it looking for blood. Heard an angry growling and grunting about 50 yards into the woods then heavy footprints and leaves cracking. Pulled my 9mm and noped the fuck outa there. Found out this morning when I went back I hit the dirt so I guess the best was just angry I followed him. But I trust 9mm to stop anything under 400lbs.
>>
>>28264011
Get a Glock 40.
That's the long slide 10mm.
>>
Glock 20 shoots great. Not snappy. Will give you extra peace of mind as well when you are sleeping in the woods versus a 9mm.

I EDC a Glock 19 and then take my 20 into the mountains.
>>
>>28264529
Not what he said
>>
>>28267652
>not speeding california to its cancerous grave
>>
>>28267757
Ditto. +P+ 9mm from Underwood or Buffalo Bore is fine for black bears.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.