[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honolulu Police require Doctor's Note to own guns; Doctors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: hon163.jpg (625 KB, 2802x1749) Image search: [Google]
hon163.jpg
625 KB, 2802x1749
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/30790522/gun-permit-applicants-denied-over-medical-dispute

> A former service member tells us he's followed all of HPD's rules, but he's stuck in a policy deadlock because his insurer won't comply.

> "There was no advance warning from anybody. Kaiser, the gun stores, HPD -- nobody. You find out when you actually go to apply," the West O'ahu man said. He asked Hawaii News Now not use his name or image.

> "I've been a legal gun owner since '91. Rifles, shotguns, pistols. I even own an AR-15. No problemo. All of a sudden, problem," he said.
>>
>nobody is trying to take away your guns you stupid rednecks!
>>
>>28260915
Can't you sue them over this?
>>
>>28261075
Courts won't care, shall issue was passed but no department is issuing and no one is charging them.
>>
Business opportunity. Get a doctor that advertises with gun businesses. Will write notes for cash.
>>
Jesus fuck isn't this what background checks and that 3-5 waiting period are for? For figuring out if an individual has ever had a criminal or mental treatment history?
>>
>>28262891
>wanting to own a gun is mental illness.
But remember, they're not out to take your guns, that's too obvious.
>>
File: Milana-Vayntrub-att-2.jpg (30 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Milana-Vayntrub-att-2.jpg
30 KB, 500x500
>mfw hoplophilia is in the DSM-VI
>>
>>28262941

It's DSM-V, not DSM-VI.
>>
>>28263077
my point was it will be in the next one, not that it is in the current one.

Therefore, wanting to buy a gun makes you ineligible to buy one, since it will be a diagnosable "mental illness". Oh, nevermind...
>>
>>28262941
Source?

I actually trust you, but I'd still like to see the actual wording of the DSM.
>>
This is a court case in the making.
>but the hawaiian courts won't care
At some point, somewhere in the appeals process, someone WILL care. Fuck, this could be a landmark case if anyone gave enough of a shit.
>>
>>28263178

I doubt it. It will be upheld by the lower courts and the supreme court won't take it.
>>
Actually it seems to me that it's the insurance company's way of calling out the police departments on the stupidity of requesting a doctor's note. It's Kaiser Permanente saying "the police are better qualified to determine this, so give them medical records, not just a note". I can understand the company not wanting their doctors to sign off on that kind of crap.
>>
>>28263117
>hoplophilia
lt's wanting to fuck a gun. Sexual desire. Puting your dick in the chamber. Using a mosin bolt as an anal plug.

Not simply wanting to have guns.
>>
>>28260915
I'm a doctor. I would never write that note. There's absolutely no upside to it. The liability...
>>
>>28264744
And I work at Nintendo. There's a Nambu in every Wii U
>>
>>28262906
That shit is a blatant attempt at banning guns. You can't have a mental illness to own a gun, but liking/wanting to own guns is a mental illness?
>>
Hawaii here.

The state is pretty high up there with constitutional rights...aside from the 2nd amendment. The police chief is a commie, and the governor is a spineless faggot. We're a shall issue state...and in 13 years of living here, I have yet to meet anyone who was granted a CC permit.

With this new 'law' the police chief is really showing his true colors; the oath he swore was used to wipe his own ass when everyone stopped paying attention.

Good for Keiser in refusing this bullshit. Hopefully a few good anons get together (+ the NRA?) and sue the state into oblivion.
>>
File: ZyOgGlI.jpg (124 KB, 964x555) Image search: [Google]
ZyOgGlI.jpg
124 KB, 964x555
>>28263758
>hoplophilia
>lt's wanting to fuck a gun. Sexual desire. Puting your dick in the chamber. Using a mosin bolt as an anal plug.

Problem officer?
>>
>"The police department is the only organization who can evaluate an individual's fitness to acquire or own a firearm."
>police in charge of who can have guns
>thinking they'll let you have a gun, instead of telling you "pick up that can citizen"

WTF hawaii
>>
>>28261075

From what it sounds like, it could be a gross violation of HIPPA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_Insurance_Portability_and_Accountability_Act
>>
>>28264830
I'm not sure what you're talking about, but as a doctor there's nothing good that comes to you professionally by writing that letter. And if you write it and the person you wrote it for does something stupid, you're getting sued. And if Hipaa comes into play...you're fucked.

Nothing good for writing it, potential liability if you do.

Not gonna do it.

Fix it in the legislature or the courts, but don't expect doctors to write that.
>>
File: passchendale.jpg (1 MB, 6529x1632) Image search: [Google]
passchendale.jpg
1 MB, 6529x1632
Belgian here.
We need to be declared physically & mentally fit to own firearms here. The document required for this was pretty vague, so at first doctors were reluctant to sign. Some refused outright.
Since then, the terms have been explained in detail by the government and no liability can be put on the doctor unless gross negligence can be proven. Like if (s)he knew about you having been in the looney bin previously and still gave you a clean bill of health.
Doctors seem fine with it now. But obviously, I understand that in a sue happy country like the US this could be a problem.
>>
Another doc here
Agree w anon above: the personal liability to the physician signing the letter is too great, despite what the legal code includes to exonerate the doc of liability.
Long local discussion here
https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=21085.0

The state made the rules but the docs are reacting to the very pervasive climate of aggressive legal action. Thanks tort reform
>>
>>28265472

To continue, as the first doc...

who's paying me to do the research through a patients medical records and document this? Where's your ICD10 code for this?

I mean, I'll sign off on a 'needs an epipen at school letter 'cause it takes 2 minutes. If I'm accepting the liability of joebob getting a gun, I'm going through that record completely.
>>
>>28265565
Agreed. There is no upside to the doc. Best, most likely though slowest outcome will be general anger from the public resulting in legal change. In the interim, some near-retirement GP will become known as the guy that'll sign off for a $100 5min office visit (see marijuana ID cards).
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.