[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How prohibitive would it be to get a personal FFL? It's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1
File: federal-firearms-license.png (99 KB, 288x288) Image search: [Google]
federal-firearms-license.png
99 KB, 288x288
How prohibitive would it be to get a personal FFL? It's kind of a bitch to go to a shitty gun store run by fudds and tacticool gear queers every time I want a new gun. Is it illegal to get an FFL purely for my own personal use? As in, I purchase the guns, have them shipped to my home/pseudo-store and just keep them for my own personal use since I have an FFL? Am I just a retard?
>>
>>28257299
There are plenty of kitchen table FFLs. Is it a pain in the ass, yes sort of. You're subject to all ATF requirements. The plus side is that you can do transfers and make money.
>>
>>28257323
Holy shit, seriously? Let's say I have an annual income of 600k. Is that enough?
>>
>>28257299
>Am I just a retard?
Basically this.

>Is it illegal to get an FFL purely for my own personal use?
Nope, that's legal.

>As in, I purchase the guns, have them shipped to my home/pseudo-store and just keep them for my own personal use since I have an FFL?
Legal, and completely idiotic. You're opening yourself up to audits by the ATF, not like you'd have much to worry about but still. You are also required to have all of the guns you own in a ledger. In short, all of your guns -even the ones you owned before you got your FFL- need to be written down in your FFL's ledger. You are no longer allowed to sell a gun via a private sales, because technically your collection is the FFL's. Yes, even your pre-FFL guns. I'm not sure about purchasing.

The reason it's like this is so Jamal from the hood can't get a FFL and sell guns privately to all of his homies.
>>
>>28257354
Dealers sell guns that aren't part of their inventory without BG checks all the time.
>>
>>28257354
You misunderstand. I don't sell guns. If I buy something, I keep it forever. If it just so happens that I hate the gun so much I'm inclined to sell it, I'll just do it through my brand new FFL.
>>
>>28257299
You could get a 03 ffl "curio and relics collector", but that only applies to guns manufactured 50+ years ago. On the plus side, it's easier to get than a 01 ffl and you only need to document c&r firearms you purchase, and none of the firearms you bought before you got the ffl.
>>
it is legal, have fun with the paperwork
>>
>>28257349
$600k shop income?

I've used home based FFLs before. You'll probably need a zoning variance to operate a business from a residence, the ATF will require a safe and monitored alarm and other stuff.
>>
>>28257369
That doesn't make it legal. I'm just repeating what the owner of my local FFL told me.

>>28257380
I don't sell guns either. Once I buy, it's mine forever no matter how shitty. I'm just letting you know the legal aspects of having a FFL.
>>
>>28257395
No, as in, I make 600k a year by myself. The kitchen table FFL would just be a thing for friends and family.
>>
>>28257369
Just looked it up. Let me quote a great paraphrase of the law.

>The actual code says you cannot do a face to face transaction within a year of buying something for your personal collection. If you want to sell something from your personal collection, it must go on a 4473 or you must wait a year.
>>
>>28257299
ATF doesn't like it too much if you're getting it just to expand your collection just btw. It's not difficult to acquire one though
>>
Thanks, /k/! I'll get shit worked out, and anyone who lives in the Houston area is welcome to come to my soon-to-be FFL. I won't charge transfer fees of any sort. Will post the details when things are finalized.
>>
>>28257577
>Houston
Fuggg which part?
>>
>>28257595
Spring Cypress, near 1960.
>>
>>28257633
Woodlands here, used to live in sugarland
>>
>>28257682
Nice, nice. Spring Guns and Ammo is alright, but paying twenty bucks for a transfer is stupid. So... I'll be cutting out the middleman.
>>
You have to do some business processes the atf pulls the ffl.

ATF butt Fucks you conatantly with inspections.

You can not private sell any of your personal guns.
>>
>>28257709
Do half of my transfers through a kitchen top ffl but I don't like troubling the old man to send his ffl information to dealers since he transfers for free. Other half goes through guncorp in college station since I go to school there. I'll probably transfer through you when you get it set up
>>
>>28257299
Yes
>>28257323
>>28257354
>>28257369
You are required to do business to get an FFL. Transfers, gunsmithing, whatever - you have to do business involving firearms. The good news is that there isn't an official minimum and it's generally considered to be 1 transfer per year. You can do it on an appointment basis only if you want.

FYI: The real money is in services: training, cleaning, education, builds, modifications, et cetera.

ABORT! FFL = NO FTF/PPT! You have to wait a full 12 months between an FFL purchase and a face to face deal.

You can do 90% of a gun store without an FFL, the high margin and high revenue income comes from range use, scrapping brass, fees, accessories, and services.

You can literally have a gun range that sells ammo (not your reloads - that needs an FFL), does gunsmithing, rentals, training, education, demonstrations, sells swagpul and crap, targets, earpro, tactical clothing (lol), and you can sell your own personal firearms face to face for profit all without an FFL. Two important caveats and several minor to go unmentioned: you can only take possession of a customers firearm (like for gunsmithing) while they're in the store / while they wait. The same idea for rentals, you have to be there if they're your guns. The second is that any firearms you buy to sell must be for the benefit of your collection. You can sell entry level ARs to schmucks for 50% markup all day, but it must be towards buying more guns you intend to keep. You can totally be saving up to buy an M16 lower though.

The ATF will fuck you as soon as you break a law though. They really don't like people skirting by.

An FFL/01 is a lot of work for little to no gain. You can do transfers, boo hoo. You can't even (technically) assemble an AR from a lower receiver to rifle configuration to sell to some snotnosed 18 year old.

tl;dr Fuck Uncle Sam and his $200
>>
>>28259571
Oh, I'm not doing it for business related reasons. I already have a career. This is just for shits and giggles so I don't have to drive to the store every week. This is just gonna be so that I don't have to deal with transfer fees or gas. I know I'll be doing it at a loss, but fuck not being able to get guns right to my domicile.
>>
>>28259226
Howdy motherfucker. Galveston reporting in.
>>
This is now a Houston area thread.
Rosenberg checking in
>>
>>28259783
>cucking yourself out to the ATF for mail
Come on, man. We've all thought about it. It's not worth it. It's a permanent solution with routine upkeep to a small inconvenience.
>>
>>28261307
I choose to have gunristration come down on me, so that others don't have to deal with the hassle of FFL transfer fees, and other such bullshit.
>>
Humble here
>>
>>28257299
You have to be an actual business, or do some volume of commercial transactions to keep your FFL.

Shit, >>28259571 has it sorted out.

I used to get transfers thru a tabletop FFL who were a buncha fat lesbians, and only did transfers, and kept no inventory. Was pretty neat, but they bitched(heh) about the ATF requirements and all that, and eventually folded up.
>>
>>28259783

What do you do, just out of interest?
>>
>>28261950
I would bet Jew science of some kind.
>>
>>28257577

FUCK YEAH!
>>
>>28261950
Neurosurgeon
>>
>>28261989

Not really rocket science is it?
>>
>>28260494
Freeport reporting for duty. Yall probly dont know where its at anyway
>>
>>28257299
yes.
>>
>>28262017
I tell interns that "It ain't rocket surgery." every day.

Ah, I kill myself.
>>
>>28260494
Downtown reporting in
>>
>>28257299
Can't get an ffl for personal except for relic/curio bullshit.
>>
>>28259571
One of the first questions on the form asks if you are applying for personal use.... If yes then it says to not fill out the form and waste their time.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.