[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone have a 72 hour bag?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: bug-out-bag.jpg (121 KB, 1154x1154) Image search: [Google]
bug-out-bag.jpg
121 KB, 1154x1154
Does anyone have a 72 hour bag?
>>
No because I'm not autistic
>>
I have been putting a shopping list together. I imagine instant rice, a couple canteens, cliff bars and some tools should be enough for bugging out briefly during a happening.

Of course, that should be a last resort, as you should be able to "bug in" for weeks or months.
>>
>le bug out bag maymay
>>
>>28109920
Don't forget astronaut ice cream, shit's delicious and doesn't need a bulky freezer or volatile dry ice to keep it fresh.
>>
nothing bad ever happens in the world, why would you need an easy method to carry or transport items that could aid in your survival?
>>
Nope, because if anything were to happen, I'm bugging in. The whole point of a 72 hour bag is to sustain you until you get to your bugout location. If I'm already at my bugout location then what's the point?

That being said, if I ever found myself away from my bugout location for an extended period of time, I'd create one.
>>
>>28109958
I assume your bug in location is your home? What if you aren't home when shtf?

That's why I always keep mine in the trunk. That and if I were to get stuck out in the snow in the middle of no where I'd have ways to make fire, food to eat, water to drink. It doesn't always have to be some sort of crazy apocalypse scenario
>>
Where can I buy dehydrated cheese from? After fitting in 6lbs of Vermont Cheddar (72 hours of calories) there wasn't much room for anything else.
>>
>>28110004
>I assume your bug in location is your home? What if you aren't home when shtf?

I literally answered your question in my original post.
>if I ever found myself away from my bugout location for an extended period of time, I'd create one.

The 20 minute drive from work to my house doesn't warrant a 72 hour bag. Do I always have a small backpack with some survival gear in my car? Absolutely. It's not a 72 hour pack, however. If I was going to be far away from my home for a while, then yes, I'd assemble one and take it with me.
>>
>>28110004
>make fire
What's your plan if there's no trees? 72 hours worth of charcoal is pretty bulky in its own right and don't get me started on how much space prime steaks take up once you work out how to keep them cold.
>>
>>28109894
Why is it called a 72 hour pack? That's like 3 litres of water and a few bites to eat.
>>
>>28110028
I live in the mountains man. There are always trees.
>>
File: food_service_pg4_pic02[1].jpg (18 KB, 229x297) Image search: [Google]
food_service_pg4_pic02[1].jpg
18 KB, 229x297
>>28110050
Everyone else would be bugging out too, you'd be lucky if there's even a twig left one you get there. You'll be like "daymn, I wish I'd listened to that anon and added a couple bags of lumpwood to my bag".
>>
>>28110024
No need to get snippy I'm just looking for some ideas for my bag and conversation.
>>
>>28110066
>one you get there
*once you get there
>>
If you cant survive 72 hours with a bottle of water a jar of peanut butter and a swiss army knife you probably have velcro shoes
>>
>>28110069
You're the one who can't read. Don't blame me for you being an idiot.
>>
>>28110066
Life or death situation I'll gut the car and burn the seats.
>>
>>28110092
Don't be a dick, laces are hard as fuck to master.
>>
>>28110099
New idea: cut the foam out of the seats and fill the empty space with charcoal.
>>
>>28110096
Much anger.

Such edge
>>
>>28110066
Most people, by far, will be bugging in. There's absolutely no sense in turning a shitty situation for the worse by leaving the safety of your modern home for the wilds.
>>
>>28110066
I'd rather buy cans of sterno.
>>
>>28110113
Be sure to patent that.
>>
>>28110101
>>28110092
Belly fat gets in the way when bending down to tie shoes, therefore, slip ons or velcro are much more comfortable to use.
>>
>>28110131
Enjoy your last meal of rubbery steaks without that rich smoky taste. I'll be riding out the fallout in style.
>>
>>28109958
Some times stuff happens and people have to evacuate their home.
>>
>>28110132
I'm a philanthropist. That's why I'll be buying a few hundredweight of charcoal and retrofitting my new system to every car I encounter tomorrow.
>>
>>28110152
>rubbery
Maybe if you can't cook. For a 72 hour bag I'd rather have an equivalent weight of canned sterno bcause it takes up less space. You won't be riding out the fallout in style when your charcoal runs out, which will be sooner than me running out of sterno.
>>
>>28110192
Sterno doesn't have a high enough heat output to get a nice sear with a rare center. You might get away with heavily marbled cuts but I want a Pittsburgh rare fillet to temper the radioactive horrors.
>>
>>28110154
True, and if I lived in an area prone to such evacutations I'd certainly be prepared. As it stands, the only reason I can imagine evacuating my home is if a biological weapon went off nearby, and if that's the case I'm almost certainly fucked anyways.

>My home
>Well above flood plane
>No threat of forest fires
>No threat of hurricanes
>No threat of basically any natural disaster

The only natural disaster that could potentially impact me in any way would be if the New Madrid fault went off. Even then, historically speaking I'm far enough away from it that I'd likely feel a rumble but it wouldn't be devastating like if I was right next to it.

In that situation, I'd assume all power and utilities would go down for a bit. I have a backup generator with enough fuel for a month of power. I also live right next to a creek with plenty of fresh water. Evacuating wouldn't make much sense regardless. When something like that happens, you want to stay in the area to start rebuilding as soon as possible, not abandon it.
>>
>>28110223
>evacuating my home is if a biological weapon went off nearby

>Biological weapon
>Exchange a solid structure with controllable airflow (assuming you don't live in an Appalachian shack) for the great outdoors

Seriously, close the windows, use a pressure cooker to sterilize your water (boiling is insufficient with a lot of biological agents) and deep fry your food after cutting it up nice and thin.
>>
>>28110252
True enough. I was having trouble thinking of any scenario where I'd have to evacuate, and I was coming up blank. I felt like I needed to give some reason to leave, and that's all I could come up with.
>>
>>28110267
Mole people.
>>
>>28110290
>my house isn't built on granite
You've found my weakness!
>>
>>28110221
You're really that worried about luxury over practicality?
>>
>>28110267
A well armed group of people decide they want your perfectly placed house?
>>
>>28110326
Quickly, start shooting downwards to let them know you mean business.

>>28110336
I'm worried about inferior steak, yes.
>>
>>28110365
Good thing the house is being occupied by a group of equally well armed people.

But on a realistic note, my house isn't some anomaly. The area I live just isn't prone to natural disasters or scenarios where bugging out would be everybody's first move. The area I live is exactly where others would try to be bugging out to.

>unlimited fresh water
>fertile land
>lots of woods for firewood during the winter
>area not prone to natural disasters

As you said, people would be the biggest threat, and I wouldn't be bugging out if that's the case. I'd be defending. I also wouldn't try to be some sort of lone-wolf survivor. To survive, you need a community. If society were to ever collapse, it'd be small communities that make it, not lone wolfs.
>>
>>28110420
Ah I see, you're one those "wahh no fun" faggots. Don't you a humor thread to be in?
>>
>>28109894

I have a 48 hour bag I take with me hunting , camping and hiking. Also has a very nice simple kit with things I know how to use and we'll 190$ goes a long way. Slowly teaching my wife but after removing a ingrown toenail she is to scared of all the blood to learn how to stich , set fractures , or even just hold the light while I fix myself up. I mean removing half your toenail or fixing a laceration dosent hurt to much , it's the cleaning and disenfectant that hurts.
>>
>>28110267
Truck/train carrying hazardous materials turns over near you and there's forced evacuations because shit is really toxic and spreading.

Forest fire consuming half your state if you're in the woods.

Rioting, if urban, though staying put may or may not be better, that's really situational.

Nuclear bomb threat for your town.
>>
File: MFW.jpg (17 KB, 367x388) Image search: [Google]
MFW.jpg
17 KB, 367x388
>>28110444
>>
>>28110494
>Truck/train carrying hazardous materials turns over near you and there's forced evacuations because shit is really toxic and spreading.

The best thing you could take with you in that scenario is a memory foam mattress topper for the crummy camp beds you'll be provided with at the local school gym.
>>
I did, but I ate all the rations out of it because I thought they might go bad around that time.
>>
>>28110524
Egg powder never goes bad, use that.
>>
File: 1426785003255.jpg (19 KB, 248x249) Image search: [Google]
1426785003255.jpg
19 KB, 248x249
>>28110497
Oh boy! You've devolved into posting le may may reaction images and no text.
>>
>>28110535
I fucking hate eggs, no thanks.
>>
Dunno about you, but you should be able to do 72 hours with normal a normal road emergency kit: little food, water, tarp, weatherproof matches, blanket, tool kit, duct tape, jumpers, some password, flares, zip ties. That's what I've got in my trunk (fits in a small duffel bag) and it's considerably less autistic than a milsurp bag full of tacticool stuff.
>>
>>28110425
I'm sure you'd still have a bag ready. Just in case you lose the firefight. You and your group could get out alive and come up with a plan to go from there.
>>
>>28110494
>Truck/train carrying hazardous materials turns over near you and there's forced evacuations because shit is really toxic and spreading.
That's semi-valid, but I feel you're overstating the situation.

>Forest fire consuming half your state if you're in the woods.
This is so laughable it hurts. Eastern forests are a lot different than western forests.

>Rioting, if urban, though staying put may or may not be better, that's really situational.
A valid threat, but see >>28110425.

>Nuclear bomb threat for your town.
U serious? If there's even a chance of a nuke targeting my town then the whole world is fucked.
>>
>>28110578
I could throw together bags if I had to right now. I don't have them assembled because there's no plausible reason why I'd have to use them. If I was ever in a true SHTF scenario, then yes, I'd make sure everybody had a bag made up just in case we had to bail from our location.
>>
>>28110425
What's your distance from major urban centers? And what geographical barriers lie between you and the urbs?
>>
i could last a week operationally and it only weighs 25 pounds.
3 days if i needed full energy/hydration.
>>
>>28111016
>i could last a week operationally

No, you could last a week casually camping outside in a completely permissive environment.
>>
File: 1449203261717.jpg (245 KB, 591x624) Image search: [Google]
1449203261717.jpg
245 KB, 591x624
>running away like a coward
>not staying and fighting

you all are no better then those military aged male refugees
>>
>>28111080
>fighting as an insurgent in local area
>not having geocached water sealed BoBs to resupply from

Its like you dont wolverine
>>
>>28109894
Dehydrated foodstuffs and a camelbak water bladder?
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.