[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm trying to understand how 1911 feed lips affect reliability.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7
File: WP_20141226_23_44_50_Pro.jpg (765 KB, 1728x3072) Image search: [Google]
WP_20141226_23_44_50_Pro.jpg
765 KB, 1728x3072
I'm trying to understand how 1911 feed lips affect reliability. Is it all about when the round is released under the controlled feed principle that will stop a baller magazine from feeding a hollowpoint? I don't understand how cookie-cutter no name magazines can be so shit.
>>
>>28099975
2 piece feed ramp and steep angle.
>>
>>28100004
Beat me to it.
Basically the round gets caught on the feed lips or the feed ramp. The casing, a hollow pont, something hits something and gets stuck.
Cheap mags can actually bump the slide stop with the follower and cause it to lock open with a round still left. The folllower can also tilt and caise the round to be at a bad angle....
>Just buy wilson combat mags and nkt worry
>Polish your feed ramp to a mirror sheen
>Be Solid Snake
>>
>>28099975
>buying cheap 1911 magazines

cheap magazines feed at too steep of an angle for hollow points. you can over come this buy buying a different shaped hollow points. like hornady. or buy wilson combat mags and eliminate the mags as a problem.
>>
>>28100046
>polish feed ramp

Do not fucking do this unless you know exactly what the fuck you are doing, and seeing as this is a cambodian basket weaving forum it's a good chance you don't.
>>
>>28100046
I notice my hollowpoints with the included magazine are actualy hitting the bottom of the feed ramp so badly that they are flattening out the edges.

>and bulging the cases because the bullets are being pushed farther and farther into the case.

>>28100088
Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to purchase good magazines yet.
Also wouldn't the angle be too shallow instead of too steep?
>>
>>28099975
You answered it yourself, it has everything to do with controlled round feeding.
The problem with hollowpoints in 1911's isn't that the projectile is flat or that there's a lip for it to catch on, it's because the overall length of the cartridge is different.
The 1911 was designed to feed a very specific cartridge length and that is the length of a 230gr 45 acp FMJ.
Magazines like the wilson combats use different feed lips to release the round early which can sort of bypass the controlled feed system.
That said a 1911 that's 100% sorted out will feed Semi wadcutters from a GI 7rd mag,
>>
>>28100145
what make is your 1911?

i have never has a problem with hollow points hitting the bottom of the feed ramp.
>>
>>28100145
Try pushing up on the magazine while shooting or chambering, if the problem goes away it might be a bad cut in the magazine body for the mag catch or it could be an out of spec mag catch itself
>>
>>28100229
It's an early RIA. When they used to take the whole fucking slide for their lettering.
>>
>>28100123
Wtf are you talking about? You would have to remove a fuuuuck ton of metal for it to be a problem.
I do this for my gun. I used a dremel. I have put over 1000 rounds through it with no stopages.
>>28100145
Do not use that round!
Take a dremel to where the ramp meets the mouth of the barrel, smooth it out a bit so it fots together like its once peice. But dont go full retard on it and grind it all away. Just make it so your finger cant feel any major lip.
>>
File: WP_20141227_01_31_50_Pro.jpg (1 MB, 1728x3072) Image search: [Google]
WP_20141227_01_31_50_Pro.jpg
1 MB, 1728x3072
>>28100270
>Do not use that round!
I chuck them if i notice any stress marks on the cases. To be clear here, the gun is nickel so they ramp is already kind of polished.
>>
File: 1416108806235.jpg (21 KB, 276x280) Image search: [Google]
1416108806235.jpg
21 KB, 276x280
>>28100270
>I used a dremel
>>
>>28100270
>Take a dremel to where the ramp meets the mouth of the barrel, smooth it out a bit so it fots together like its once peice
Judging by photos of stock 1911s and looking at mine and feeling mine, this was already done by a previous owner.
>>
>>28100270
>Take a dremel to where the ramp meets the mouth of the barrel, smooth it out a bit so it fots together like its once peice. But dont go full retard on it and grind it all away. Just make it so your finger cant feel any major lip.

You do know that gap is supposed to be there right? minimum 1/32 of an inch between the bottom edge of the barrel ramp and the top edge of the frame ramp.

You probably think the barrel ramp is an actual ramp the round is supposed to touch rather than a clearance.
>>
>>28100308
Good
>>28100322
Nigga I dont have time for a dowl rod and fin grit sandpaper
>>28100355
Yes. It does look like that. Looks like your gun has been around.
I think new mags might solve your problems. Wilson combat males awesome mags.
It coukd be the barrel. I wish I could go hands on with your gun. I would make it run like a $2000 gun
>>
File: thisissupposedtobethere.jpg (23 KB, 640x428) Image search: [Google]
thisissupposedtobethere.jpg
23 KB, 640x428
>>28100270
>>28100417
>>
>>28100417
You dont know what you are talking about.
>>
>>28100355
OP don't do this
>>
>>28100447
Looks good. How many rounds have been through it? It takes about 1000 to get it to run right
>>
>>28100212
>That said a 1911 that's 100% sorted out
examples please
>>
>>28100475
It's already been done nigga i can't do shit.
I'm fairly sure the barrel was not stock on my gun so there may have been fitting requirements, on this subject, how much work would a semi-fit 1911 barrel need?
>>
>>28100525
My pre war colt feeds semi wadcutters from it's GI style mag.
>>
>>28100562
What would I look for? Think the CZ 1911A1 is up to snuff?
>>
>>28100530
Sorry, can't into reading comprehension right now.

Anyway, if somebody did change the frame feed ramp geometry, a new barrel won't fix it. The frame ramp will need to be either welded and recut or a frame ramp insert installed. A good smith can do this for 120-150 dollars.
>>
>>28100594
The biggest thing is that the frame ramp is properly cut, but thats a very hard thing to measure without some specialized tools to check it.

If you pull the slide back and it looks like this pic here>>28100447 then theres a good chance it'll be GTG
>>
>>28100447
That ramp looks kinda shallow compared to a full/correct cut to be honest.
>>
>>28100597
I'm going to buy some ballers and try them with this magazine then buy some mec-gar and wilson combat mags and use these hollowpoints through them. I'm sure that should be comprehensive enough to figure out if my ramp is fucked.
>>
File: 313.jpg (51 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
313.jpg
51 KB, 720x540
>>28101080
I forgot pic...(from Harrison custom) for reference.
>>
>>28101103
Awesome pic. So that cutout/window (for the slide stop lug) should be the reference point for ramp length/depth? Is this applicable to pretty much all 1911s?
>>
File: Kornheiser_Why[1].jpg (23 KB, 288x499) Image search: [Google]
Kornheiser_Why[1].jpg
23 KB, 288x499
>>28099975
One thing about the 1911 that always got me, the one Browning designed went through a fuck ton of rounds without a stopage, The military ones for the most part were the same way,

Civie commercial 1911s are fucking jamomatics... >dafuq

Is it because the commercial ones just want to get shit out the door for profits or

>fuck you you will buy anything

you would think that after 100 fucking years and a almost flawless prototype they would have this shit ironed out by now
>>
>>28101394
According to Harrison, (who knows his shit) this is the correct depth/angle for a 1911 frame. But yeah, the notch for the slide stop lug is a good reference point.
I have a Springfield milspec and colt that both function fine with a ramp that is kind of shallow, but what he does is "optimal" as far as reliability goes for the feed ramp anyways.
>>
>>28101665
>Is it because the commercial ones just want to get shit out the door for profits
I think its a combination of this and the average consumer being dumb and not properly cleaning and oiling their gun, and a lot of the cheap 1911's come stuffed with really gummy oil (ATI, Rock Island especially in my experience)
>>
>>28101706
Kuhnhausen disagrees (to an extent).
Taken directly from The Colt .45 Automatic Shop Manual New Expanded 9th Edition section II: Shop Work pg. 141(fuck you if my citation isn MLA or whatever).
"...the frame ramp angle must not be changed and the surface must not be otherwise altered. Limit frame ramp work to light polishing to remove machine marks"
Not saying that Harrison is wrong for what he's doing, just saying that it is by no means a rule, and absolutely should NOT be done by a basement machinist/gunsmith.
I can provide scans from the book about feed ramp and general 1911 feed issues if you're interested.
>>
>>28101807
Yup I agree, and I would never attempt it on my own. The most I do is flitz that sucker.
>>
>>28101665
It's because modern 1911s are made to tighter tolerances than they were originally designed for. That, and hollow points.
>>
File: throats.jpg (5 KB, 267x189) Image search: [Google]
throats.jpg
5 KB, 267x189
My wadcutter-lip mags feed everything.

thank you -mysterious stranger- who posted the 1/32nd' gap pic.

I never had good luck with Wilson mags, but to be honest I haven't bought a mag in 20 years.

Another thing a lot of people overlook is how high is the mag latched into the gun. I ran into this once myself, and replacing the mag catch with one that held the mags higher in the gun- instant turnaround, and I stumbled on it. Not common but something to think about.

I hate lube threads, but lube your 1911. Feed ramp, rails, hammer, hood, disconnector track. Just a film.

The barrel throats that have come since the 1991s works and frankly, this is what the 1911 should have had all along. Those guns would feed some cheesy 200 SWC ammo like a champ.

No idea why I'm posting this.
>>
>>28101910
which is which?

>>28101807
Do what you want - appreciate the citation in any case. This kinda thread is why I love /k/
>>
>>28101103
That's retarded.

The top round in a magazine doesn't even sit that low in the frame, it's impossible for it to touch the bottom half of that polished bubbajob.
>>
>>28101737
Makes sense

>>28101865

This too, I guess if they opened up the tolerances they will be more reliable, but then ppl would be

>muh tack driver accuracy
so they tighten em up and >muh reliability

So are fudds to blame for this penduelem, or lazy companies?
>>
>>28100088
it's true sorry about the emoji, the iphone keyboard is dicks, I don't want the viruses on my computor, but the emoji fits. stamped mags and strictly old school 1911's won't work well with hollow points, modernized 1911's have a wider feed ramp with a shallower angle to them so they don't bind up. these issues come from the 1911 being such a great design, coming from when all the .45acp was FMJ or fully jacketed and still being awesome in the day of hollow points, most new 1911's will work, but I swear to fucking god if I find out someone desecrated a remington rand1911 from WWII, I'll have a seizure.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.