[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This happend to me last we hunting, i was running after my dog
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9
File: 20151205_135201.jpg (1 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151205_135201.jpg
1 MB, 4128x2322
This happend to me last we hunting, i was running after my dog and fall.
How can i fix this?
Its a quite important rifle to me, because it was given to me by my father in law and i would like to give it to my son one day.
Please dont tell me its fucked...
pic sadly related
>>
File: 20151205_135140.jpg (1 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151205_135140.jpg
1 MB, 4128x2322
>>
>>28096437
First of all what rifle is it?

Second I'm sure you can find a replacement stock for it.
>>
it an old sauer&sohn in 30.06 im also in sweden, therefore im not sure about the replacement stock. No way of fixing cracked Wood?
>>
>>28096437
One option would be to pull the cracked sections completely apart, drill for a couple of hardwood dowels, cover everything in glue, then clamp that shit back together as tight as possible
>>
>>28096474
it is not totally cracked yet, i Think 1/3 is still holding
>>
>>28096437
I use gorilla glue to fix broken stocks, wood glue will work too. Might need some vise grips and sandpaper too
>>
That's a bad break
I assume the gun is no longer in production
i would get on sauer website and see if they offer repair service. Never shipped a gun internationally hopefully they have a dealer in your country.
>>
>>28096488
couldnt find anything really, not even used. i checked german sites too.
I think the better option is to fix it, if possible
>>
>>28096437
son in law i am disappoint
>>
>>28096450
https://www.gunsamerica.com/980270504/SAUER-90-STUTZEN-MANNLICHER-30-06.htm

thats the rifle
>>
>>28096503
yes, i gonna need to tell him too....
>>
It can be repaired but I assume sine you are posting on k you don't have the knowledge or ability to do so,
First you have to remove all oil from the stock because no glue will stick to oily wood
Avoid bubba gunsmiths like these two idiots
>>28096474
>>28096482
Google blind stock repair and see how it's done
Or send it to a person who can blind stock repair.
Avoid gorilla glue and duct tape.
>>
>>28096512
Surely there are people who can fix it?, stocks break all the time.
>>
>>28096512
I've fixed gunstocks with gorilla glue before, it works perfectly fine and has no issues holding up to oils and solvents
>>28096523
It's easy as fuck to fix
>>
>>28096527
Op wants a repair that looks like it was never touched, and based off that he is best off sending it to a professional place
>>
>>28096537
Well now shit a professional will do it better and some Scandinavians are master wood workers, I have no doubts OP can get his shit fixed, the cost is the variable factor, if you have money OP why don't you just take the action out and have a good worker make you a new stock? iirc Norwegians are supposed to be good with the wood
>>
>>28096512
http://m14forum.com/stock/84336-how-make-blind-wrist-repair-stock.html
thats what u mean?
>>28096537
i forgot to mention that im poor!?
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 417x620) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 417x620
>>28096527
OP has a fine vintage German rifle with heirloom value
He is not fixing a POS Marlin 60 from Walmart
Therefore OP and the rifle deserve to be fixed right
>>
>>28096577
Thank you very much! How do i fix it right myself?

Pic is from the better days
>>
>>28096577
You can do a great job with gorilla glue and sandpaper. It would be all nice and dandy if OP had the money to do whatever but he doesn't. If I was him I would save the money for someone to fix it but that isn't always an option for people.
>>
>>28096585

If that stock is out of production, I would honestly go onto a wood working forum or website and ask people there what they would do to repair it.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>28096552
That is a way. I would keep the saw dust created from drilling.and even mill it into a fine powder. If their is a line where the crack is you can mix the saw dust with gel stain to create a wood filler. Too bad you are poor.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>28096552
Do you own a drill?
Drill bits?
Clamps?
Vise?
The ability to fix the stock and make it look nice?
If not take it to a professional
>>
>>28096589
https://www.xxl.fi/gorilla-super-glue-2x3-g-superliima/p/1111293_1_style
i gonna go buy this glue anyhow, good to have for future, but im not sure if i wanna try on this rifle.

>>28096603
i asked on /k/, surely ppl fix their stocks here more often than some lumberjacks

>>28096604
yeah too bad, i dont enjoy it much
>>
>>28096477
Yeah, but it's one of those things that you would have to "break" the rest of the way in order to repair.

Is there some sort of special engraving or something on the stock that takes replacing it off the table?
>>
>>28096623
>Do you own a drill?
Check
>Drill bits?
Check
>Clamps?
Check
>Vise?
No, but i can get one
>The ability to fix the stock and make it look nice?
I dont know, thats what im trying to figure out in this thread, so how would you fix it?

>>28096639
no engravings or anything, its just i cant find any replacement stocks
>>
>>28096626 Ditt jävla pucko.

Du ska inte börja limma och slipa i bössan själv.

Gå till din lokala vapenhandlare och fråga honom om en lämplig person att laga kolven. Eller maila/ring några andra.

Hitta någon erfaren vapensmed/kolvmakare och låt denne göra jobbet. Börjar du limma och trassla själv så kommer det gå åt helvete, lita på det.

Gör inte ett skit själv, det kommer sluta med att det ser ut som fan, pajar, och att du får gå till ett proffs iallafall. Och då kommer han skratta åt dig.

Bara faktumet att duy frågar på fyrkanalen visar att du fan är dum i huvudet. FÖRSÖK FÖR FAN INTE SJÄLV.
>>
>>28096678
Maybe he can contact sauer for you
>>
>>28096437
use epoxy it will be stronger than before
nice jagged break will hold without grooves
>>
>>28096678
>You fucking asshole .

You should not start gluing and polishing in the gun itself.

Go to your local firearms dealer and ask him if a suitable person to cook piston. Or email / call some others.

Find an experienced gunsmith / piston maker and let him do the work. Do you start gluing and entangle yourself then it will go to hell , trust it .

Do not give a shit yourself, it will end up looking like hell , pajar , and you get to go to a pro anyway. And then he'll laugh at you .

Just the fact that Duy ask the beacon shows you the hell am stupid . TRY FOR FAN NOT YOURSELF.

thank you

>>28096712
i dont Think so, but i wrote an email to suaer
>>
File: Sauer202Stutzen9,3x62mm-5.jpg (97 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
Sauer202Stutzen9,3x62mm-5.jpg
97 KB, 480x640
Looks like a bad break to me. Will require some serious work by someone who knows wtf he's doing. I think it'll require splicing, which will likely ruin the look, so I'd suggest buying a new stock for it or have a new one made for it if it's out of production. There are still artisans around who specialize in this type of thing and they do great work. If it comes down to that, you can have the length of pull etc adjusted to your build.

Do not be an idiot & try to fix it yourself. There is no way it'll be a heirloom is you start glueing shit like some tard in this thread suggested.

I suspect you can still get the Sauer 90 stocks from Sauer itself though.
>>
>>28096792
https://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifle-stocks/hunting-stocks-sauer/

yeah a new stock is to much, i gonna drive on monday to my gunsmith and see what he knows
>>
>>28096437
>How can i fix this?
>strip stock
>freeze stock to reduce the chance of it splitting along the grain instead of across
>split stock across the crack
>solvent wash the open end grain to remove oils so the glue has something to bind to
>making sure to cover all of the joint without getting a single drop on the finished surfaces
>dry for 1-2 weeks
>soak end grain with distilled water
>air dry for up to a week, checking with moisture meter every 12-24 hours until desired level reached
>make up dowelling jig and drill out both faces of the joint
>accuracy required is in the range of a few tens of micrometers
>drive in toasted beech dowels
>make up clamping jig that allows you to put pressure on all 3 axes
>glue up joint
>place workpiece in jig
>aply clamps
>wipe away exces glue, tighten rachet stap around edge of joint
>wait 2 days
>pray to St. Joseph (patron saint of carpenters) that you didn't fuck anything up because this is a one time deal and if you made a mistake you now have a very expensive piece of firewood
>remove clamps
>pick up stock
>realise it looks worse than it would have if you'd just nailed it back together
>take 3 steps
>stare in abject horror as the joint falls apart

or, you know, just pay someone else to do it.
>>
>>28096851
how much does this gonna cost him?
>>
>>28096843
>yeah a new stock is to much,

If you think an ugly ass $300 McMillan is too expensive, then DO NOT INQUIRE ABOUT HAVING IT FIXED PROFESSIONALLY.

>i gonna drive on monday to my gunsmith and see what he knows

Euhm, that better be a gunsmith that does custom hunting rifles etc, because generally a gunsmith won't touch stuff like this. Hell, most of the time they accept it & send it to someone else to fix it.

If you can't spare a bit of money to save a high quality "heirloom", you need to gtfo.
>>
>>28096482
This. Instead of gorilla glue. Mix two part epoxy. Mix it in a plastic cup and warm it with warm water.
Get a plastic syringe and inject the warm epoxy into the crack. Then clamp it. Wipe off the excess with a rag with a little acetone on it. Don't wipe hard!

Or if your brave. Thin the epoxy with acetone. Then inject it. It will dry fast so work faster!
>>
>>28096873
>If you think an ugly ass $300 McMillan is too expensive, then DO NOT INQUIRE ABOUT HAVING IT FIXED PROFESSIONALLY

300bucks for an ugly ass stock is too much!

>If you can't spare a bit of money to save a high quality "heirloom", you need to gtfo.

what the fuck is wrong with you?! Is it now a problem if i inform myself first? maybe you should gtfo
>>
You tube /k/omrade.

I fixed an old stock for my stevens 87a. Came out great.
>>
>>28096437
Just pay a gunsmith to do it for you you cheap fuck

If you're concerned with it being a gun that'll last for generations that is
>>
>>28096903
Nigga if you can't afford $300 you can't afford to have kids to make the heirloom worth it.
>>
If you need additional advise I would post on diy
>>
just came back from my father in law...
i need a new stock, maybe the isnurance gonna pay so.
Anyhow where do i get a new Wood stock from?
>>
>>28097058
He just stated that that stock is ass ugly and he would rather not spend 300 on something that he doesn't like, I'm not sure why this is a foreign concept for you.

>17 anons
>42 replies
>no one recommends Grandpa Potterfield
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-HdLKcSu1w

Though the severity of your crack might make it very difficult.

>>28096604
This could work for the parts of the crack that can't be pulled together.
>implying you need power tools for that
Just go to town with a bit of wood of similar composition and go at it with a rasp or some sand paper, saving the shavings and dust with a newspaper.
>>
>>28096437
Sandpaper
>>
>>28096527
I think he doesn't want it look like like shit since its a family heirloom. I'm sure glue works fine for functionality but in terms of aesthetic its less than ideal.
>>
>>28097577
thank you very much, Im not sure about glueing, because the glue than must almost hold the whole stock together.

>>28097597
This

Like i said Before i try to find a new wooden stock for it, if anyone have an idea where to look? i couldnt find anything yet
>>
>>28097682
For something as obscure as that I would recommend going to your smith for recommendations or maybe even finding a wood worker that will help you.

Blanks are sold but they are more chunks of wood that are sold for their particular grain pattern that need a skilled woodworker.

All this will cost a lot of money but for an heirloom it may be worth it, at the very least take it to the smith to have it looked at and determine if it would be worth it to repair or replace altogether. If the latter then do your best to repair at home and save up for a day when you can replace.
>>
>>28097682
If there is a gap with nothing but glue holding it's own the bond can be rather weak but the strength of glue comes from two surfaces contacting, hence the need for very strong clamps or bands.

Get clamps long enough to press it together and practice compressing the stock as close as possible before gluing. What will help is a syringe to get the glue as far into the cracks as possible, you should be able to find them on the internet and medical supply stores, make sure your glue isn't too thick to go through before hand.

In regards to glue, expanding polymer like Gorilla Glue would work and avoid cryoacrillic glues like Locktite and Crazy Glue because they are designed to crack under jarring force. Traditional wood glue would also work but will not expand to fill in cracks like Gorrilla though it may be stronger where it does contact.
>>
>>28096437
a new stock made for you in a half decent Wood cost you around 1500 euro here in germany
>>
>>28096649
I'm not sure how mechanicaly equipped you are, or if you even have time on your hands, but if you want a really nice heirloom, build your own stock i'd say. Then its got your work into a lot of it, something that your boy can say when he gets it. "My dad hand crafted this stock just for me :)"
>>
>>28098923
no, i dont have this kind of Equipment
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.