[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hard Question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 0
What round is the intersection of highest possible power and best subsonic ballistics in a rifle cartridge?

I intent to build or buy a full powered semi auto rifle soon with the express purpose of suppressed long distance precision shooting.

I really have no idea where to begin selecting the optimal caliber for both subsonic ballistics and maximum power.

Any suggestions stal/k/ers?
>>
>>28095881

.308?
>>
>>28095881
.300BLK is largely designed for subsonic shooting, might be a place to start looking.
>>
>>28095893

That's where I'm starting from.

Purely supersonic, the undisputed champion of full power rifle rounds is the 6.5 Creedmore, but I can't imagine 6.5mm outperforming a 7.62mm projectile at subsonic velocities, and subloading a Creedmore case seems batshit stupid.

>>28095899

>.300BLK

Not powerful enough for precision long range shooting.
>>
>>28095905

> the undisputed ACCURACY champion

Sorry, need to qualify that statement. Certainly don't mean to suggest Creedmore is king over .338 Lapua or .50 BMG, just more accurate in the precision shooting role, and obv. subsonic .338 Lapua or .50 BMG is entirely out of the question.
>>
>>28095905
Well I mean... you're always going to have a ideal upper velocity limit of ~1,100 ft/s. realistically less to ensure you stay subsonic after slight deviations in loads, temperature and elevation. Your only way to increase kinetic energy is to increase bullet mass. Subsonic .308 and .300BLK are both often in the 200gr range, and obviously have the same max velocity... same power.

It's also worth mentioning that this maximum velocity means that no matter what you choose it's going to drop like a rock.
>>
>>28095881
>subsonic
>long range
Pick one
>>
If you're serious, and your not, use a 750 grain AMAX with a BC over 1. Remember that you need a faster twist rate. Your typical 1:10 308 twist rate will not stabilise a 240 or 220 grain subsonic bullet. Ask me how I know.
>>
Isis pls go
>>
Looks like use WSM brass in an AR-10, trim case until it's a straight wall, add powder and an AMAX, find someone to build you a custom barrel, and you can't ream a beowulf barrel because bullet diameter is. 510 for BMG projectiles, but. 500 for the beowulf.
>>
>>28095905
If your going 30 Cal, the blk is the perfect platform.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 0

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.