[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't know where else to ask this but do you think it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
I don't know where else to ask this but do you think it's worth having a car in the military?

I currently drive an 06 Mustang GT and I'm enlisting in the Navy. I'll be in San Diego for a couple years so it'll cost $1000-$1500 to move my car over there. Is it worth it? Did you guys use your car often in the military?

Another option I'm thinking of is selling my car and buying a motorcycle again once I'm over there.
>>
>>28084860
Yes it is absolutely worth it. Consider this:

You already have a mustang. You are one HUGE step ahead of the brand new E-2 or E-3 in the dorms (or barracks for other fags) who spends 75% of their pay on a car payment on a loan with some ungodly interest rate.
>>
How do you know you'll be in San Diego?
>>
>>28084860
Can you not drive it to San Diego?

Do You want a bike? And do you want to use this as a catalyst? If you can afford it, I'd try to keep the car, and get a bike, but that may not be an option.

>>28084865
>Huge Step Ahead
It's an '06 Mustang GT, not and enlistment bonus ducati.

If you can pay cash for the bike, and want to ride one in all weather conditions do it, because you might as well spoil yourself, and payments suck
>>
>>28084880
>Can you not drive it to San Diego?

I'm not sure. I'm thinking of getting my father to drive the car over there a couple weeks into arriving in SD when he comes to visit.

I'm a huge car nut and the irresponsible side of me keeps telling me to sell it to upgrade something faster. The angel on my shoulder keeps telling me not to.
>>
File: 20140405_083621.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20140405_083621.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>28084860
>California
>Legal Lane Spitting

Fuck yes buy a bike, but not a Ninja 300, gunna be tough riding that on the highway everyday. Get your self a 650 twin or a 600 supersport.

Sources: I love riding a bike in California, get everywhere fast as shit and when traffic slows to a crawl just start lane splitting :3
>>
>>28085071
>Lane Spitting

natural selection
>>
>>28084860

>06 Mustang GT
>San diego
I was just on MCAS miramar and passed by the used car lemon lot in front of the commissary. Half the cars were mustangs.

If you don't sell your car now, you probably will when your enlisted pay is ripped in half after insurance premiums and fuel costs.

You have an 06 which I assume is paid off... But man if I had a dollar for every E-3 I knew that spent 70% their paycheck on a shiny car.
>>
>>28085071
The law says its legal as long as it is "safe to do so." But when is it ever safe to do so?

If you pass me when I make a poor decision to change lanes and you get clipped... I may be at fault, but it's still your ass that'll be on the pavement.
>>
>>28085686
>implying lane splitting is unsafe, even when done properly
>this is what cagers actually believe
>>
>>28085781
biker here
lane splitting is a young man's game
helps if you don't have kids either
>>
>>28084860
yes you want your car.

just be patient, take leave, and drive your car from home to your barracks after basic and ait.

you will NEED car.

>cif issue
>going to and from work
>leaving post
>getting anything at the store

generally everything you need it for now, you will need it for in the military unless you go over seas to somewhere like europe or korea they wont let you have a car as a single enlisted soldier below a certain rank. in korea you needed to be either an E6 or E7 to have a car and must live off post, i dodnt quite remember which rank but im pretty sure it was just E7 and up.
and you know, bumming a ride every day gets fuckin old and makes you look like a POS when they need you to go somewhere on post and your like "but sgt i dont have a car".
>>
>>28085071
how do you carry your shit pvt?

either
>A) you have another car
>B) youre that fuckin guy who always needs a ride
>>
>>28085761
Not a CA resident so I can't say specifically what is considered "safe to do so there", but there are usually stipulations such as traffic moving under a certain speed, and you not moving much faster than them.

People often get this idea that lane splitting is zooming between cars at 60mph. It's not. It's slipping between slow/stopped cars at lights or in traffic and like most things on a motorcycle is safe if you're not an idiot about it. Best part is not having to stop between two cars in traffic and get crushed in a rear-end pile up.

>>28085071
Yamaha R3 has a decent amount more horsepower without breaking the bank.
>>
File: Oakley Kitchen Sink Backpack.jpg (301 KB, 1158x1500) Image search: [Google]
Oakley Kitchen Sink Backpack.jpg
301 KB, 1158x1500
>>28085686
>>28085830

Lane splitting done properly is much safer than being sandwiched between two cars waiting to be rear ended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veLh7o0mD0c

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/06/02/ama-study-finds-lane-splitting-increases-rider-saftey/

>>28085900
I do have a car, but rarely ever need it, I can fit a ton of stuff in pic related + tank bag.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.