[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what would be a good microphone for recording quality sounding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: index.jpg (3 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
3 KB, 300x300
what would be a good microphone for recording quality sounding gunfire for under $100?
Zoom H1?
Edutige ETM-001?

I don't want my videos to sound like shit, that really bothers me. I'll also be using the mic to record exhaust sounds. The cheaper the better.

Googling what mic records "gunshots" or "rifles" is rather difficult, since there are shotgun mics and rifle mics... and hardly anyone cares about this subject.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>
>>28084546
This is honestly a better question for /g/
>>
I should mention I am recording to a gopro hero 4 silver
>>
>>28084553
/g/ is typically useless but i'll ask anyways.
>>
Do at least two microphones with different gains to tune them specifically for what part of a gunshot you want to capture.

>one to capture stupid nigra bass like this guy, while filtering out the treble
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNMGh7sDFtI

>microphone aimed at a wall or some other reflective surface a distance away to capture reverb like they do here
https://youtu.be/ZL9fnVtz_lc?t=259

>high level clipping on a shit quality mic to emphasize loudness overload aspect (probably the gopro mic)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_HKDLJ-Bo0

Mix them together until you find something that sounds good.

Can't really advise on specific microphones.
>>
>>28084613
this is awesome advice, thanks. Do you have any idea what the best way to record multiple audio streams is?
>>
>>28084546
Get a zoom. They're okay for the value. Ideally you would use multiple microphones. A few Large diaphragm condensers at varying distances. A couple of SM57s around the gun, one pointed at the action and one to capture the muzzle blast. These are dynamic microphones so can take the higher spl levels that a condensor can't which is why the condensors are further away to capture ambient reports of the sound. Ideally you would use a high quality shotgun (polar pattern) microphone. To be honest though any cardiod pattern dynamic mic would do. An SM57 goes for around £80. I guess around 130 freedom tokens?
>>
>>28084643
>>28084658
Me again. Use an audio interface. FireWire or usb3.0 is advised. Usb2.0 shouldn't be a problem but latency blah blah. Record into a DAW for maximum ease. Logic, pro-tools etc. For your basic needs go download "reaper daw". It should do just fine. You would use multiple inputs on the preamp/interface. I'm not with mine right now so I can't take pics but I'm heading up to the local forts and doing a field recording of their artillery soon
>>
>>28084546
As an audio engineer, if you really want quality sound, you're going to need someone to actually monitor the audio recorded. In your case it won't matter too much what microphone you ultimately choose (just make sure the diaphragm has a high SPL rating), but you are going to need a compressor/limiter. You don't have to get a fancy, high end one, but you will need one and someone to make adjustments while you pop off a few rounds prior to shooting your video.

Hope that helps.
>>
>>28084553
>>28084563
I hear there is some excellent sound mixing software available for Gentoo.
>>
File: 1373395025451.jpg (26 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
1373395025451.jpg
26 KB, 251x201
>>28084546
Where the fuck do you even start to learn how to get half decent footage while shooting?

Everything I've filmed looks like it was edited by roadkill.

Are you just planning on recording the sound on your phone or something ? How does any of this shit work ?
>>
>>28084849
This op. You can edit the shitty noise and make it sound better, plus it's free and easy to use
>>
>>28084849
>>28084875
OP here, I actually use gentoo regularly. stop meming
>>
>>28084658
You seem knowledgable, Is the ZoomH2N any good for recording voices in varying situations ?
>>
>>28084546
>what would be a good microphone for recording quality sounding gunfire
>recording
>gunfire
>exhaust sounds

Kenichi Sonoda?
>>
>>28089261
>Kenichi Sonoda
nigger what the fuck does that even mean
>>
>>28084546
I use a tascam dr05, but, I really should have gotten the bigger unit with xlr inputs. Even a rode video mic direct to the cam will sound far better than on cam audio. You should really go with a multi mic set up. Lav mic for voice and shotgun mics back further for gunshot sounds.
>>
>>28084856
>Where the fuck do you even start to learn how to get half decent footage while shooting?

You keep shooting videos and learning from mistakes. Vimeo has a great video school series and YouTube has the Creator Academy as well as the YouTube playbook. Those are good starts
>>
I can't speak for gunfire, but I've had very good results using a Rode NTG2 for exhaust sounds. That includes up-close and personal work with straightpiped race cars.
>>
>>28084546
Do you have any of the videos posted?
>>
>>28088694
Sorry for lateness. Depends on the use of the voice. Musically no, delicate foley/ADR. No. If you just want to capture the voice and what's going on then yes. Zoom make some good stuff. I personally don't own any as its not useful for me at the moment. A few friends of mine have various zoom gear and swear by it for their ambient/sound walk work. H4N is good. H2N seems pretty solid.
>>
>>28092233
Oh, also zooms are great for recording lectures and conversations if there's little care to isolation or you do want to capture the rooms ambience too. I imagine I'll end up using one of their h4n microphones as an extra along with the sm57s, Saturn, ntk and all the other bollocks for the fort artillery recordings. I'll share them here when I have them done
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.