[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can someone explain bullet weights to me? I know heavier bullet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: large_335_3K_Large[1].jpg (132 KB, 500x347) Image search: [Google]
large_335_3K_Large[1].jpg
132 KB, 500x347
can someone explain bullet weights to me?
I know heavier bullet = slower, but harder to stop because muh physics
but for example, would I be better to go with buffalo bore 260gr deer grenades, or 325gr buffalo bore for a 5.5" ruger blackhawk? What are going to be the difference between the two in the real world?
>>
the 325gr is going to kick more
>>
>>28079849
will it hurt more for whatever it's shooting?
the 325gr is also flat nose, while the 260gr deer grenade is hollow point.
>>
anyone else want to weigh in?
>>
>>28080719
There isnt really much else to say other than to bring up how rifling twist rate needs to match bullet weight or the bullet will either not stabilize or the bullet will be spinning so fast that it breaks apart.
>>
>>28080807
>There isnt really much else to say
I have a feeling that's not very true, anon. I imagine bullet weight and design (lighter hollow point vs heavier flat nose) aren't as simple as one's going to kick more.
>>
f = ma
the powder grainz effect the eqn too desu family
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>28079825
Lighter bullets travel faster
So if long range shooting they will have a flatter trajectory
The 325 grain bullet from an anemic 45 colt will have a trajectory like a rainbow.
So figure out your propriety and compare the bullets with a ballistic calculator.
>>
>>28081148
Sorry
Figure out what your priority is
And then compare the two bullets you are considering
>>
>>28081148
>45 colt
>anemic
the +p rounds have more muzzle energy than your average 44 magnum.
>>
>>28081148
>Lighter bullets travel faster
So if long range shooting they will have a flatter trajectory
Not necessarily. Velocity is good, but long range bullets tend to be long and heavy, to overcome drag better, hence a better BC.

Better BC = Better distance ability in general.
>>
Most deer don't take a 325 grain bullet at 1400 feet per second to put down.

How far are you comfortable shooting? Could you- say- hit a 9" paper plate from a hasty rest at 100 yards? Ok, then lets think about that. How much will a .45 Colt 250 grain bullet drop at 100 feet per second at 100 yards? If you sight in at 50 yards it might be 4" low at 100 yards (just going off of memory here..)?

So now we have a range we feel safe shooting in, and we know that if we set up our Blackhawk with a 50 yard zero we can hold dead center along the back of the deer's front legs.

Now get out and practice- another reason buying stuff like Buffalo Bore ammo is problematic. Instead- learn to reload yourself, and now you're set for years to come.

A .45 Colt Blackhawk is actually an incredibly versatile set up.

No- the rifling rate won't matter. Anything from gallery loads to 325 @ 1400 will be stable and accurate.

I'd suggest something like a 250@1000-1100. That's comfortable to shoot, easier on the operator, easier on the gun. Use a Keith 250 grain semi-wadcutter, so now we don;t have to worry if the bullet will expand or whatever. That sucker will plough through a yard of meat and bone from any direction.

For what it's worth- a friend of mine had a Marlin Model 94 in .44 mag, and we would shoot at rocks at 400 yards with it. Once you have the hold-over dialed, you'd be amazed how one-shot-after-another accurate rounds like this are at longer ranges. Elmer Keith was on to something, and I really suggest you kiddies read "SixGuns" and "Hell I was there" -both of which can be found on Amazon for cheap as used books. He may have bee drunk on Jack Daniels most of the time in his later years, but he was the real deal.

Hope this helps. Life isn't all about black plastic buzz-guns. There's still high quality American made guns for people who can stand on their hind legs and take an accurate shot.
>>
edit- sorry. I meant to say- 1000 fps at 100 yards.
>>
File: my nigga.jpg (42 KB, 552x464) Image search: [Google]
my nigga.jpg
42 KB, 552x464
>>28082291
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.