[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who was the best Secretary of Defense? My vote goes to this guy.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
Who was the best Secretary of Defense? My vote goes to this guy.

>Cancelled wasteful military projects no matter how many Senators bitched about it.
>Consolidated useful programmes together to reduce costs further.
>Standardized equipment across the various branches to simplify logistics.
>Pioneered the usage of multirole combat aircraft to make all branches more versatile.

Robert McNamara is the hero we need today.
>>
>>28068177
i fucking hate those pens
>>
>>28068177
>Standardized equipment across the various branches to simplify logistics.

People forget that the branches all wanted their own special snowflake shoes and boots even. It doesn't take a genius to say that's fucking ridiculous, and McNamara was no genius.
>>
>>28068177
>programme

Britkek detected
>>
He might not have been the Secretary of Defense per se, but the early stages of WWII might have gone even worse than they did for the allies were it not for Carl Vinson.
>>
>>28068288
>>People forget that the branches all wanted their own special snowflake shoes and boots even
Don't they all have their own shoes/boots today?
>>
>>28068177
He looks like he has his hair slicked back into one of those ponytails that some white trash have.
>>
>>28068456
Yes. Even after McNamara was no longer the Def. Sec. there were still problems in this regard. When Battle Dress Uniform was being adopted, the Air Force did not want reinforced knees on their pants and demanded to have their own special pants just for them. The Air Force was denied at the time, but it's obvious whatever backbone was keeping the branches in check hasn't been present for a few decades. That backbone sure the fuck wasn't McNamara.
>>
>>28068177
This fucking beancounter cocksucker was the reason behind the disastrous initial performance on the M16 in combat, on Vietnam.
>>
>>28068177
>Who was the best Secretary of Defense?
>Robert McNamara

I don't have an anime face smug enough for this.

I do like the massive amount of asshurt he's caused 30 caliber grognards, though.
>>
>>28068574
Oh I see. Yeah I just had a respectful and inquisitive thread deleted about about the new Pentagon policy regarding transgender people in the military. I guess only certain topics about the military are acceptable right now.
>>
File: XdkPivg.jpg (331 KB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
XdkPivg.jpg
331 KB, 5000x5000
>>28068653
>Yeah I just had a respectful and inquisitive thread deleted about about the new Pentagon policy regarding transgender people in the military.
>respectful and inquisitive

Yeah, sure.
>>
>>28068786

No, I was in that thread.

He wasn't shitting on anyone, just questioning.
>>
>>28068288
>and McNamara was no genius
He actually was.
>>
>>28068288
>can't live with just branch/unit specific patches and skill identifiers
>need special snowflake uniforms too

So when the DoD gets the check from DC is it blank?
>>
>>28068177
Closed Springfield Armory, setting precedent where gov no longer develops GOAT weapons. Best SecDef?

NO.
>>
>>28068177
>dat swag ass eagle in the background
>>
File: 1384672483497.png (11 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1384672483497.png
11 KB, 429x410
>>28068220
This. Kek.
>>
>>28068177

Overall his reforms were hit and miss. Sometimes he was right. Sometimes he was wrong. Sometimes he was partly right, but screwed up the implementation.

>Forcing all branches to adopt the F-4 Phantom.

Good. The Phantom was a great plane.

>Forcing all branches to adopt the M16 rifle.
Good idea but botched implementation. The M16 should have been tested more extensively before being put into widespread use.

>Forcing the Naval and Air Force to both use the F-111.
Bad. The F-111 was a good bomber but a terrible fighter. It didn't work for what the Navy wanted at all.
>>
>>28069569

I think what mattered was he got the ball rolling on much needed reforms, which contributed to the fuckawesome military infrastructure we have today (for all its failings and shortcomings).
>>
>>28069497
Springfield was corrupt inside-out. They would test weapons and develop them. Ergo, due to financial conflicts of interest any designs submitted by competitors would come back broken.

The M14 was a massive shitfest. It was very expensive per unit and completely failed to bridge the gap between Rifle/LMG/SMG and could only be adapted to DMR role with great effort due to a stubborn refusal to allocate any other weapon system for that role.

Now, mind you I personally still love it and own one but I understand that it could have been done better. Springfield was a monster and had to die.
>>28069963
Unfortunately a lot of the same problems persist. They tried to replace the A-10 with a "budget" alternative which ended up being a piston plane with less capabilities and somehow a higher unit cost. I'm convinced there must have been some serious kickbacks in that program.
Also in-house R&D can sometimes get very good results very efficiently. Case and point NOTS "China Lake" and the Sidewinder.
>>
>>28070097

>They tried to replace the A-10 with a "budget" alternative which ended up being a piston plane with less capabilities and somehow a higher unit cost.

That program got cancelled pretty fast.
>>
>>28070175
It got pretty close. A-10 hung on by a thread for a while even though it consistently proved to be superior in every way. Eventually they agreed to retrofit some of them into drones and finally kept them on permanently because they needed CAS to rape ISIS now, not some shitty piston plane 10 billion dollars and several decades down the pipeline.
Now the F35 project has turned into a real clusterfuck, but their design goals are really far out there.
>>
This exact thread is up on /his/.

Testing to see if the thing that compresses URLs works.

http://boards.4chan.org/his/thread/346443/
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.